PDA

View Full Version : Alternative types of cat doors

May 12th 07, 10:28 AM
We have had a magnetic cat flap for many years and had no problems
with stray cats coming into the house. The type we have is where the
cat wears a magnet around her neck and the flap has a battery which
activates a switch when the magnet comes near, allowing the flap to
open to let the cat in.

Unfortunately our next door neighbours have now also installed a
magnetic cat flap and so their cat can come into our house as well.
She is an aggressive cat and ours is quite timid. We are now having
problems with cat spray around the house - either from the neighbour's
cat or ours because she is so stressed out by the other cat coming in.

Is there a different type of magnetic/electronic cat flap we could get
which would recognise only our cat and keep the other cat out?

We live in New Zealand so would be looking for something available by
internet or mail order. The one we have seems to be the only type on
the market here.

Hope you can help.

Liz D

Petzl
May 12th 07, 11:07 AM
On 12 May 2007 02:28:14 -0700, wrote:

>We have had a magnetic cat flap for many years and had no problems
>with stray cats coming into the house. The type we have is where the
>cat wears a magnet around her neck and the flap has a battery which
>activates a switch when the magnet comes near, allowing the flap to
>open to let the cat in.
>
>Unfortunately our next door neighbours have now also installed a
>magnetic cat flap and so their cat can come into our house as well.
>She is an aggressive cat and ours is quite timid. We are now having
>problems with cat spray around the house - either from the neighbour's
>cat or ours because she is so stressed out by the other cat coming in.
>
>Is there a different type of magnetic/electronic cat flap we could get
>which would recognise only our cat and keep the other cat out?
>
>We live in New Zealand so would be looking for something available by
>internet or mail order. The one we have seems to be the only type on
>the market here.
>
>Hope you can help.
>
>Liz D
heres one
<http://www.smarthome.com/6191d.html>
Petzl
--
Only the Irish Leprignomes have remained aloof and their family heritage remains pure and unconfused. Gnome watchers believe that the reason for this stems from the unfortunate events that led to their expulsion from the peat bogs of Ireland in the late 1700s. It is thought that the ambitious Leprignomes encroached on the territorial boundaries of the intellectually superior Leprechauns. The Grand Legislature of Leprechauns banished the ringleaders of this audacious uprising to Australia. As a parting gesture they cast such a powerful spell on the Leprignomes that, even today, they remain too shy to associate with other gnome species.

Petzl
May 12th 07, 12:29 PM
On Sat, 12 May 2007 20:07:06 +1000, Petzl > wrote:

>On 12 May 2007 02:28:14 -0700, wrote:
>
>>We have had a magnetic cat flap for many years and had no problems
>>with stray cats coming into the house. The type we have is where the
>>cat wears a magnet around her neck and the flap has a battery which
>>activates a switch when the magnet comes near, allowing the flap to
>>open to let the cat in.
>>
>>Unfortunately our next door neighbours have now also installed a
>>magnetic cat flap and so their cat can come into our house as well.
>>She is an aggressive cat and ours is quite timid. We are now having
>>problems with cat spray around the house - either from the neighbour's
>>cat or ours because she is so stressed out by the other cat coming in.
>>
>>Is there a different type of magnetic/electronic cat flap we could get
>>which would recognise only our cat and keep the other cat out?
>>
>>We live in New Zealand so would be looking for something available by
>>internet or mail order. The one we have seems to be the only type on
>>the market here.
>>
>>Hope you can help.
>>
>>Liz D
>heres one
><http://www.smarthome.com/6191d.html>
>Petzl

There is a link to a cat version in above link
Using
"Infra red" Cat flap
ebay search gives a couple results
<http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Petsafe-Infra-red-Cat-Flap-NIB_W0QQitemZ280113883936QQihZ018QQcategoryZ117421 QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItem>
or <http://tinyurl.com/3xnvdm>
might be cheaper than smarthome

On ebay only bid in last few (40? dial-up) seconds, depending on your
internet speed (IMO).

Do not keep looking until last 5 minutes of auction end then ready to
put your max bid forward.

Many of products sellers get info as to how many and often who is
looking and how many time one looks.

This opens the possibility of false bidding by seller to up price if
one shows too greater interest

Though do not hesitate to ask seller questions

Petzl
--
The ONLY email address you will EVER need
<http://www.spamcop.net/ces/individuals.shtml>