PDA

View Full Version : Adventures in home-made cat food

Ken Knecht
May 12th 07, 05:38 PM
After several days of eating it twice a day, Emily 'Bottomless Pit' cat
refused her raw turkey last Thursday. Back to dry food. I'll start trying
once a day again Sunday.

If someone would put out canned and dry cat food, no grains, absolutely
no imported ingredients, reasonably priced cat food I'd be eternally
grateful. Seems like this would be a very popular product. Or perhaps
most owners are not aware of or concerned about the current pet food
problems?

--
Untie the two knots to email me

Every silver lining has a cloud.

cybercat
May 12th 07, 06:30 PM
"Ken Knecht" > wrote in message
> After several days of eating it twice a day, Emily 'Bottomless Pit' cat
> refused her raw turkey last Thursday. Back to dry food. I'll start trying
> once a day again Sunday.
>
> If someone would put out canned and dry cat food, no grains, absolutely
> no imported ingredients, reasonably priced cat food I'd be eternally
> grateful. Seems like this would be a very popular product. Or perhaps
> most owners are not aware of or concerned about the current pet food
> problems?

Fancy Feast is fine. 44 cents a can at WalMart. Made by Nestle
Purina, and their ingredients are American made. A few flavors have
wheat gluten, many do not. Tender Beef Feast, Gourmet Chicken
Feast, Cod, Ocean Whitefish, Liver and Chicken.

Why are you acting like it is raw or dry for your cats? That's patently
ridiculous.

Meanwhile, would YOU eat raw turkey? Eccck.

Get those cats on Fancy Feast. Real liver, beef, chicken, turkey,
and fish as the first ingredients of most, then things like broth,
some with byproducts listed later, but byproducts are fine for
cats. (I imagine mouse lips, ears, tails and guts would be mouse
byproducts, right?)

Ken Knecht
May 12th 07, 07:25 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in :

> "Ken Knecht" > wrote in message
>> After several days of eating it twice a day, Emily 'Bottomless Pit'
>> cat refused her raw turkey last Thursday. Back to dry food. I'll
>> start trying once a day again Sunday.
>>
>> If someone would put out canned and dry cat food, no grains,
>> absolutely no imported ingredients, reasonably priced cat food I'd be
>> eternally grateful. Seems like this would be a very popular product.
>> Or perhaps most owners are not aware of or concerned about the
>> current pet food problems?
>>

> Fancy Feast is fine. 44 cents a can at WalMart. Made by Nestle
> Purina, and their ingredients are American made.

How do I know that? Besides, Nestle is a European company (Swiss?), not
American.

> A few flavors have
> wheat gluten, many do not. Tender Beef Feast, Gourmet Chicken
> Feast, Cod, Ocean Whitefish, Liver and Chicken.
>
> Why are you acting like it is raw or dry for your cats? That's
> patently ridiculous.

I didn't say that. She currently gets Science Diet canned food for one
meal.

> Meanwhile, would YOU eat raw turkey? Eccck.

I tried frying it. She wouldn't eat it that way either. I am feeding her
raw because the cat/dog food nutrition book I have says raw is better for
her.

--
Untie the two knots to email me

Every silver lining has a cloud.

cybercat
May 12th 07, 07:41 PM
"Ken Knecht" > wrote in message
> "cybercat" > wrote in :
>

>> "Ken Knecht" > wrote in message
>>> After several days of eating it twice a day, Emily 'Bottomless Pit'
>>> cat refused her raw turkey last Thursday. Back to dry food. I'll
>>> start trying once a day again Sunday.
>>>
>>> If someone would put out canned and dry cat food, no grains,
>>> absolutely no imported ingredients, reasonably priced cat food I'd be
>>> eternally grateful. Seems like this would be a very popular product.
>>> Or perhaps most owners are not aware of or concerned about the
>>> current pet food problems?
>>>

>> Fancy Feast is fine. 44 cents a can at WalMart. Made by Nestle
>> Purina, and their ingredients are American made.
>
> How do I know that? Besides, Nestle is a European company (Swiss?), not
> American.

Right. We cannot trust what any cat food company says. So how can
you know what is in DRY food, which is never better for your cat than
canned due to decreased water content?

>> A few flavors have
>> wheat gluten, many do not. Tender Beef Feast, Gourmet Chicken
>> Feast, Cod, Ocean Whitefish, Liver and Chicken.
>>
>> Why are you acting like it is raw or dry for your cats? That's
>> patently ridiculous.
>
> I didn't say that. She currently gets Science Diet canned food for one
> meal.

You said: "After several days of eating it twice a day, Emily 'Bottomless
Pit'
cat refused her raw turkey last Thursday. Back to dry food."

And, Science Diet was a brand that was ON the recall list for cat food,
whereas Purina has not been.

In any case, I was trying to be helpful. My cats have eaten FF for a long
time and had no problems at all. One of them has a lot of allergies, too.

May 13th 07, 12:17 AM
Ken Knecht > wrote:

> If someone would put out canned and dry cat food, no grains, absolutely
> no imported ingredients, reasonably priced cat food I'd be eternally
> grateful. Seems like this would be a very popular product.

A canned cat food with no grains (or other fillers), and completely
domestically made, would not be cheap. That's why ingredients are
imported - they're cheaper. So are fillers. My sympathies to people
who can't afford to pay the high cost of decent pet food, but I think
that's what it takes.

Joyce

chatnoir
May 13th 07, 02:47 AM
On May 12, 10:38 am, Ken Knecht > wrote:
> After several days of eating it twice a day, Emily 'Bottomless Pit' cat
> refused her raw turkey last Thursday.

Well, what of the Bacteria in the raw turkey?

May 14th 07, 05:11 PM
On 12 May, 19:41, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "Ken Knecht" > wrote in message

> >> Fancy Feast is fine. 44 cents a can at WalMart. Made by Nestle
> >> Purina, and their ingredients are American made.
>
> > How do I know that? Besides, Nestle is a European company (Swiss?), not
> > American.
>
> Right. We cannot trust what any cat food company says. So how can
> you know what is in DRY food, which is never better for your cat than
> canned due to decreased water content?
>

> >> A few flavors have
> >> wheat gluten, many do not. Tender Beef Feast, Gourmet Chicken
> >> Feast, Cod, Ocean Whitefish, Liver and Chicken.
>
> >> Why are you acting like it is raw or dry for your cats? That's
> >> patently ridiculous.
>
> > I didn't say that. She currently gets Science Diet canned food for one
> > meal.
>
> You said: "After several days of eating it twice a day, Emily 'Bottomless
> Pit'
> cat refused her raw turkey last Thursday. Back to dry food."
>
> And, Science Diet was a brand that was ON the recall list for cat food,
> whereas Purina has not been.
>
> In any case, I was trying to be helpful. My cats have eaten FF for a long
> time and had no problems at all. One of them has a lot of allergies, too.- Hide quoted text -

I found this page was rather interesting. I hope that it might be of
some help to you in your endevours to make and feed your own cat food.
I make my own because we have a big fat Birman called Binky who
required home made food, & found this site rather well rounded. Good
luck with your project & I hope that it goes well for you.
K.

May 14th 07, 05:12 PM
On 12 May, 17:38, Ken Knecht > wrote:
> After several days of eating it twice a day, Emily 'Bottomless Pit' cat
> refused her raw turkey last Thursday. Back to dry food. I'll start trying
> once a day again Sunday.
>
> If someone would put out canned and dry cat food, no grains, absolutely
> no imported ingredients, reasonably priced cat food I'd be eternally
> grateful. Seems like this would be a very popular product. Or perhaps
> most owners are not aware of or concerned about the current pet food
> problems?
>
> --
> Untie the two knots to email me
>
> Every silver lining has a cloud.

I forgot to add the URL for it, Lol. Sorry about that!

http://www.ehow.com/how_12698_make-homemade-cat.html
K.

James
May 22nd 07, 08:13 PM
On May 12, 2:25 pm, Ken Knecht > wrote:

> I tried frying it. She wouldn't eat it that way either. I am feeding herrawbecause the cat/dog food nutrition book I have saysrawis better for
> her.

What other raw foods does the book recommend? I'll all for no cook
meals. How does raw chicken compare to raw turkey?

Ken Knecht
May 23rd 07, 05:44 PM
James > wrote in
oups.com:

> On May 12, 2:25 pm, Ken Knecht > wrote:
>
>> I tried frying it. She wouldn't eat it that way either. I am feeding
>> herrawbecause the cat/dog food nutrition book I have saysrawis better
>> for her.
>
> What other raw foods does the book recommend? I'll all for no cook
> meals. How does raw chicken compare to raw turkey?

Turkey, chicken, beef, lamb, pork, duck, rabbit and various fishes. Some
also use quail, venison, emu, ostrich and others. I use turkey because
it's already ground. If she tires of that I'll grind some chicken.

I use the book _Dr. Pitcairn' Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs
and Cats_. Lots of info also on-line. some conflicting. I decided to go
with the recommendations in the book. You have to supplement the raw meat
with vitamines, minerals, etc.

--
Untie the two knots to email me

Every silver lining has a cloud.

PawsForThought
May 23rd 07, 07:04 PM
On May 22, 3:13�pm, James > wrote:
> On May 12, 2:25 pm, Ken Knecht > wrote:
>
> > I tried frying it. She wouldn't eat it that way either. I am feeding herrawbecause the cat/dog food nutrition book I have saysrawis better for
> > her.
>
> What other raw foods does the book recommend? *I'll all for no cook
> meals. *How does raw chicken compare to raw turkey?

Raw chicken and raw turkey are pretty comparable. I have Dr.
Pitcairn's book but found his cat food recipes too high in grains and
I believe his recipes called for vegetable oil, rather than whole body
fish oil (more bioavailable to a cat). A couple of good sites for
information are:

http://www.catinfo.org/
(Make sure to check out Dr. Zoran's excellent article (link on right
side of page)

This site has a recipe:
http://www.catfood.catnutrition.org/CatFoodRecipe.pdf

Ken Knecht
May 24th 07, 06:24 PM
PawsForThought > wrote in
ups.com:

> I have Dr.
> Pitcairn's book but found his cat food recipes too high in grains and

At least one recipe uses no grains - meat feast or something like that.
Mostly ground turkey and supplements. That what I am currently using.

> I believe his recipes called for vegetable oil, rather than whole body
> fish oil (more bioavailable to a cat).

In one portion of his book he recommends, among others, Udo Choice oil
(omega 3 & 6 and essentials) together with cod liver oil. That's what I
use. He may well use vegetable oil in some recipes but I've not
investigated those.

Ken