PDA

View Full Version : The cat who tried to escape melamine in her food, only to find....

Sandy McDermin
May 13th 07, 04:56 AM
that she's not the only recent export to the USA from China.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/05/12/cat.crate.ap/index.html

For China the stowaway cat, nine lives were enough
Story Highlights
Cat spent at least 35 days in a container on a ship from China
without food, water
Owner of a motorcycle accessories shop found the cat cowering in a
crate
A co-worker plans to adopt the cat, named China by animal service
workers

HENDERSONVILLE, North Carolina (AP) -- After Eric Congdon opened a
crate from China and discovered a cat inside, coming up with a name for the
furry stowaway was easy.

China the cat had chewed through one of the boxes before it left
Shanghai, China, on April 3 and spent at least 35 days on a ship inside the
container filled with motorcycle gear.

"I saw something in the container move," Congdon said. "I turned up
the headlights on the forklift to get a better look."

That was when he saw the cat cowering in a corner, weak but still
alive. Congdon, owner of Olympia Moto Sports in Hendersonville, said he and
a co-worker called the county's animal services when the cat would not let
them near.

A co-worker of Congdon's plans to adopt China, as animal service
workers are calling her, if she checks out with a veterinarian. North
Carolina law says any animal coming into the country must be vaccinated and
quarantined for six months.

"We have to take precautions," said animal services manager Brenda
Miller.

How could China survive for so long on no food and water?

"Usually, we say that animals can only survive a few weeks without
food and only a few days without water," said Michelle Misavage, a
veterinarian in Raleigh, North Carolina. "The theory is that cats have such
good kidneys, their bodies adjust to the lack of water, and somehow they
received small amounts of moisture from condensation."

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material
may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

May 13th 07, 09:41 AM
Sandy McDermin > wrote:

> that she's not the only recent export to the USA from China.

> http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/05/12/cat.crate.ap/index.html

If she was trying to escape melamine, she came to the wrong country. :(

Hope she gets adopted soon!

Joyce