PDA

View Full Version : Put tapeworm medicine in food?

John Doe
May 15th 07, 08:14 PM
I have a stray female cat that is terrified at the idea of being
handled. So I don't handle her (and mostly avoid eye contact). The
problem is she needs tapeworm medicine. Can ordinary tapeworm pills be
crushed and included in her wet food?

Thank you.

By the way. Is it possible such a cat could have a heart attack if
caging her were necessary?

For what it's worth.

Besides being flea/worm infested, she was starving out there. That's
how I caught her, just put some fancy feast inside my door and then
closed the door (using an 8 foot 2x4) when she worked up the nerve to
come all the way inside. She did some great window gymnastics.

Never been around a cat like this one.

I guess she was born and raised outside and has had mostly
bad/terrible contact with people. Feels like the only thing I'm doing
is keeping her from having a string of litters outside, but oh well.
She goes crazy whenever moving her is required (only twice in three
weeks so far, like to clean the area). She has a balcony out the
window where she can look/hear in all directions including straight
down.

Ebbtide
May 15th 07, 11:00 PM
No answers, but I know you are a great animal lover. Very sad when they have
such a terrible background.

best,,
joyce

"John Doe" > wrote in message
et...

> I have a stray female cat that is terrified at the idea of being
> handled. So I don't handle her (and mostly avoid eye contact). The
> problem is she needs tapeworm medicine. Can ordinary tapeworm pills be
> crushed and included in her wet food?
>
> Thank you.
>
> By the way. Is it possible such a cat could have a heart attack if
> caging her were necessary?
>

> For what it's worth.
>
> Besides being flea/worm infested, she was starving out there. That's
> how I caught her, just put some fancy feast inside my door and then
> closed the door (using an 8 foot 2x4) when she worked up the nerve to
> come all the way inside. She did some great window gymnastics.
>
> Never been around a cat like this one.
>
> I guess she was born and raised outside and has had mostly
> bad/terrible contact with people. Feels like the only thing I'm doing
> is keeping her from having a string of litters outside, but oh well.
> She goes crazy whenever moving her is required (only twice in three
> weeks so far, like to clean the area). She has a balcony out the
> window where she can look/hear in all directions including straight
> down.

May 16th 07, 12:43 AM
In rec.pets.cats.health+behav Ebbtide > wrote:
> No answers, but I know you are a great animal lover. Very sad when they have
> such a terrible background.

> best,,
> joyce

> "John Doe" > wrote in message
> et...
> >
> > I have a stray female cat that is terrified at the idea of being
> > handled. So I don't handle her (and mostly avoid eye contact). The
> > problem is she needs tapeworm medicine. Can ordinary tapeworm pills be
> > crushed and included in her wet food?

I would like to know this myself, because I have a scaredy-cat who would
freak out if I tried to pill him. He'd probably hide under the bed for days,
and it would take forever for him to forgive me. I've earned his trust *so*
slowly, I hate to do anything to disturb it. I just can't imagine what is
going to happen when he needs veterinary care! (He's still pretty young.)

One day a while ago, I put on a latex glove because I was doing some sort
of gross task. Licky (my scaredy-cat boy) glared at me, hissed, and ran
off. He doesn't usually do this without provocation, and he almost never
hisses at me, so I wondered what I'd done that was so disturbing to him.
Then I remembered - I had put on latex gloves the previous time I'd given
the cats Advantage, so I wouldn't get it on my skin. But it had been weeks
since I'd done that. Poor boy, he remembered the Evil Glove and thought I
was going to do something unspeakable to him.

Anyway, I'd really like to avoid shoving a pill into this high-strung
cat's mouth, so please post any responses.

Thanks,
(another) Joyce

Joe Canuck[_2_]
May 16th 07, 01:00 AM
wrote:
> In rec.pets.cats.health+behav Ebbtide > wrote:
> > No answers, but I know you are a great animal lover. Very sad when they have
> > such a terrible background.
>
> > best,,
> > joyce
>

> > "John Doe" > wrote in message
> > et...
> > >
> > > I have a stray female cat that is terrified at the idea of being
> > > handled. So I don't handle her (and mostly avoid eye contact). The
> > > problem is she needs tapeworm medicine. Can ordinary tapeworm pills be
> > > crushed and included in her wet food?
>
> I would like to know this myself, because I have a scaredy-cat who would
> freak out if I tried to pill him. He'd probably hide under the bed for days,
> and it would take forever for him to forgive me. I've earned his trust *so*
> slowly, I hate to do anything to disturb it. I just can't imagine what is
> going to happen when he needs veterinary care! (He's still pretty young.)
>
> One day a while ago, I put on a latex glove because I was doing some sort
> of gross task. Licky (my scaredy-cat boy) glared at me, hissed, and ran
> off. He doesn't usually do this without provocation, and he almost never
> hisses at me, so I wondered what I'd done that was so disturbing to him.
> Then I remembered - I had put on latex gloves the previous time I'd given
> the cats Advantage, so I wouldn't get it on my skin. But it had been weeks
> since I'd done that. Poor boy, he remembered the Evil Glove and thought I
> was going to do something unspeakable to him.
>
> Anyway, I'd really like to avoid shoving a pill into this high-strung
> cat's mouth, so please post any responses.
>
> Thanks,
> (another) Joyce

If you have to pill an uncooperative cat (and most are during pilling)...

You need to work very quickly and have a pill applicator which allows
you to reach far into the throat.

-or-

Wrap the cat in a blanket such that only the head is exposed and pill
that way, but be VERY sure you keep the cat's head elevated.

May 16th 07, 01:23 AM
In rec.pets.cats.health+behav Joe Canuck > wrote:

> If you have to pill an uncooperative cat (and most are during pilling)...

> You need to work very quickly and have a pill applicator which allows
> you to reach far into the throat.

> -or-

> Wrap the cat in a blanket such that only the head is exposed and pill
> that way, but be VERY sure you keep the cat's head elevated.

The issue isn't so much that he'd be uncooperative as that he'd be
freaked out. I pill my other cats, and they don't like it, and sometimes
they give me more trouble than at other times. But I'm not afraid they're
going to be traumatized, so if they have to get a pill, they get one.

Of course, if there's no other option besides pilling, that I guess that's
what I'd have to do. But if there is, such as being able to sneak it into
his food, I'd much rather spare him the grief.

Joyce

Cheryl
May 16th 07, 02:09 AM
On Tue 15 May 2007 07:43:53p, wrote in rec.pets.cats.health+behav
>:

> Anyway, I'd really like to avoid shoving a pill into this
> high-strung cat's mouth, so please post any responses.

Usually the rule of thumb is check to see if the pill is coated. If
so, it shouldn't be crushed. Then there are exceptions, where the
medication shouldn't be given with food.

That said, I've crushed Drontal and put in food for ferals and it was
effective. I was told by the local SPCA clinic that this was ok to
do. I had to do that with Bonnie, too, when she was new. She was
horribly infested with roundworm at the time. 2 treatments later and
she was worm-free.

--
Cheryl

LemmonJello
May 16th 07, 07:10 PM
"John Doe" > wrote in message
et...

> I have a stray female cat that is terrified at the idea of being
> handled. So I don't handle her (and mostly avoid eye contact). The
> problem is she needs tapeworm medicine. Can ordinary tapeworm pills be
> crushed and included in her wet food?

Kick her in the box and say "eat this bitch".

Works every time.

May 17th 07, 11:28 AM
With John Doe (really Mark Bender), it is Pedophile according. to
. Check with the San Antonio police and you
will see he is on the SPAM Offenders list.and may be on the Child
Molester's list.

John Doe oves cats because he can molest them without going to jail.

Mark Bender, calling himself John Doe, can be reached at (210)
734-3107 509 Frost, San Antonio, TX 78201.

John Doe is a professional SPAMMER and Nazi Netcop wannabe.

Ask yourself, who has more credibility, a person who is out there and
proud of what they do, or a person hiding behind an alias?

May 17th 07, 12:42 PM
On May 16, 7:10 pm, "LemmonJello" >
wrote:
> "John Doe" > wrote in message
>
> et...
>

> > I have a stray female cat that is terrified at the idea of being
> > handled. So I don't handle her (and mostly avoid eye contact). The
> > problem is she needs tapeworm medicine. Can ordinary tapeworm pills be
> > crushed and included in her wet food?
>
> Kick her in the box and say "eat this bitch".
>
> Works every time.

Drontal do a spot on called droncit in the UK that does tapeworm and
Stronghold is a spoton flea, mite, heartworm and round wormer. It'll
make your vet happy (they are all in the higher end of the market) but
at least there's less mauling involved. (ALthough you will need to
handle the cat for about 30s to get it on them). DON'T USE SUPERMARKET
PREPERATIONS - THEY ARE USELESS!

If she/he is otherwise healthy, a short period of stress with adequate
quiet recovery time afterwards will cause absolutely no adverse health
affects. Have a chat to your vet, if you need to move or do something
that involves prolonged stress or you think she is unwell and needs
treatment they can come up with a plan for mild sedation to chill
psychocat out (vets dread these coming in too and would rather they
were chilled out so they should be on your side!).

Rene S.
May 17th 07, 04:30 PM
On May 15, 2:14 pm, John Doe > wrote:
> I have a stray female cat that is terrified at the idea of being
> handled. So I don't handle her (and mostly avoid eye contact). The
> problem is she needs tapeworm medicine. Can ordinary tapeworm pills be
> crushed and included in her wet food?

Can you try putting the pill inside of a Pill Pocket and giving it to
her? It's a soft "treat" with a hole inside for the pill. You squeeze
it shut, thus hiding the pill. Find a store that sells them on their
web site: www.pillpockets.com

Not all cats like these, but it's worth a try to not stress her out.