PDA

View Full Version : Declawing "compulsory"?

Dave Whiley
May 16th 07, 06:56 PM
I have just read a "letter to the editor" (those able to receive British TV
will find it on ITV1 teletext page 328, sub-page 3 of 11, until 17 May).

The letter includes this statement:

"I think in America all kittens have to be 'declawed' by law to protect the
young birds, especially the fledglings. Can we do this in England, please?"

Now, from reading this group I'm 99.9(etc)% certain that this is NOT the
case. But, so that I can be sure of my facts before (verbally) laying into
this idiot, could any contributors from the States confirm that there is no
such legal requirement, please?

Thanks!

--
Dave

not-me should be djw401 and there's no need for any wossname

Lynne
May 16th 07, 07:08 PM
on Wed, 16 May 2007 17:56:55 GMT, "Dave Whiley"
> wrote:

> I have just read a "letter to the editor" (those able to receive
> British TV will find it on ITV1 teletext page 328, sub-page 3 of 11,
> until 17 May).
>
> The letter includes this statement:
>
> "I think in America all kittens have to be 'declawed' by law to
> protect the young birds, especially the fledglings. Can we do this in
> England, please?"
>
> Now, from reading this group I'm 99.9(etc)% certain that this is NOT
> the case. But, so that I can be sure of my facts before (verbally)
> laying into this idiot, could any contributors from the States confirm
> that there is no such legal requirement, please?
>
> Thanks!

Oh, my! No, there is definitely NO such legal requirement here. In fact,
many Americans are vehemently opposed to declawing. I personally believe
it is a barbaric, cruel procedure.

--
Lynne

cindys
May 16th 07, 07:17 PM
"Dave Whiley" > wrote in message
>I have just read a "letter to the editor" (those able to receive British TV
>will find it on ITV1 teletext page 328, sub-page 3 of 11, until 17 May).
>
> The letter includes this statement:
>
> "I think in America all kittens have to be 'declawed' by law to protect
> the young birds, especially the fledglings. Can we do this in England,
> please?"
>
> Now, from reading this group I'm 99.9(etc)% certain that this is NOT the
> case. But, so that I can be sure of my facts before (verbally) laying
> into this idiot, could any contributors from the States confirm that there
> is no such legal requirement, please?
------------
There is absolutely no American law that says kittens have to be declawed
(by law) in the United States. Declawing is mutilation. It is not merely
removing the cat's claws but rather involves an actual amputation of the toe
up to the first joint. Most American rescue groups require that anyone who
adopts one of their cats/kittens sign an agreement that states that the cat
will NOT be declawed. Not only that, most American rescue groups would
encourage that all cats be indoor only. I think it is safe to say that most
of us on this group wish that there were a law that made it illegal to
declaw cats in the United States. England is far ahead of the USA in this
regard. Most people who declaw their cats are doing so to protect their
furniture. These cats are indoor-only cats. Young birds do not need to be
protected from indoor cats. To declaw an outdoor cat so that it can't
protect itself from predators is even worse.

This guy is a total idiot and I think you should ask him if he would like to
have all his fingers and toes amputed up to the first joint (which is what
declawing is).
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Patty
May 16th 07, 07:29 PM
Dave Whiley wrote:

> I have just read a "letter to the editor" (those able to receive
> British TV will find it on ITV1 teletext page 328, sub-page 3 of 11,
> until 17 May).
>
> The letter includes this statement:
>
> "I think in America all kittens have to be 'declawed' by law to
> protect the
> young birds, especially the fledglings. Can we do this in England,
> please?"
>
> Now, from reading this group I'm 99.9(etc)% certain that this is NOT
> the
> case. But, so that I can be sure of my facts before (verbally)
> laying into this idiot, could any contributors from the States
> confirm that there is no such legal requirement, please?
>
> Thanks!

I have had cats for more than 30 years and never had any declawed.
There is no such law in the US.

Patty

Dave Whiley
May 16th 07, 07:32 PM
"cindys" > wrote in message

> There is absolutely no American law that says kittens have to be declawed
> (by law) in the United States. Declawing is mutilation. It is not merely
> removing the cat's claws but rather involves an actual amputation of the
> toe up to the first joint. Most American rescue groups require that anyone
> who adopts one of their cats/kittens sign an agreement that states that
> the cat will NOT be declawed. Not only that, most American rescue groups
> would encourage that all cats be indoor only. I think it is safe to say
> that most of us on this group wish that there were a law that made it
> illegal to declaw cats in the United States. England is far ahead of the
> USA in this regard. Most people who declaw their cats are doing so to
> protect their furniture. These cats are indoor-only cats. Young birds do
> not need to be protected from indoor cats. To declaw an outdoor cat so
> that it can't protect itself from predators is even worse.

More or less what I thought the situation was. Thanks!

> This guy is a total idiot and I think you should ask him if he would like
> to have all his fingers and toes amputed up to the first joint (which is
> what declawing is).

The very reason that my hackles were raised!

If I were feeling charitable, I could assume that he/she (only the initials
of letter-writers are published) thinks that declawing is our having our
fingernails cut. In which case, some education is greatly required.

--
Dave

not-me should be djw401 and there's no need for any wossname

MaryL
May 16th 07, 09:00 PM
"Dave Whiley" > wrote in message
>I have just read a "letter to the editor" (those able to receive British TV
>will find it on ITV1 teletext page 328, sub-page 3 of 11, until 17 May).
>
> The letter includes this statement:
>
> "I think in America all kittens have to be 'declawed' by law to protect
> the young birds, especially the fledglings. Can we do this in England,
> please?"
>
> Now, from reading this group I'm 99.9(etc)% certain that this is NOT the
> case. But, so that I can be sure of my facts before (verbally) laying
> into this idiot, could any contributors from the States confirm that there
> is no such legal requirement, please?
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> Dave

Absolutely not! There are far more clawed than declawed cats in the U.S.

MaryL

Photos of Duffy and Holly: >'o'< [with claws intact!!!]
Duffy: http://tinyurl.com/cslwf
Holly: http://tinyurl.com/9t68o

Sherry
May 17th 07, 01:08 AM
On May 16, 12:56 pm, "Dave Whiley" <[email protected]
whiley.WOSSNAMEfreeserve.co.uk> wrote:
> I have just read a "letter to the editor" (those able to receive British TV
> will find it on ITV1 teletext page 328, sub-page 3 of 11, until 17 May).
>
> The letter includes this statement:
>
> "I think in America all kittens have to be 'declawed' by law to protect the
> young birds, especially the fledglings. Can we do this in England, please?"
>
> Now, from reading this group I'm 99.9(etc)% certain that this is NOT the
> case. But, so that I can be sure of my facts before (verbally) laying into
> this idiot, could any contributors from the States confirm that there is no
> such legal requirement, please?
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> Dave

Of course it isn't the case. I seem to recall it is actually illegal
in some city--Hollywood CA
IIRC.

Sherry

mlbriggs
May 17th 07, 01:18 AM
On Wed, 16 May 2007 18:56:55 +0100, Dave Whiley wrote:

> I have just read a "letter to the editor" (those able to receive British TV
> will find it on ITV1 teletext page 328, sub-page 3 of 11, until 17 May).
>
> The letter includes this statement:
>
> "I think in America all kittens have to be 'declawed' by law to protect the
> young birds, especially the fledglings. Can we do this in England, please?"
>
> Now, from reading this group I'm 99.9(etc)% certain that this is NOT the
> case. But, so that I can be sure of my facts before (verbally) laying into
> this idiot, could any contributors from the States confirm that there is no
> such legal requirement, please?
>
> Thanks!

The writer of that letter has a vivid imagination. MLB

May 17th 07, 01:38 AM
Sherry > wrote:

> > Now, from reading this group I'm 99.9(etc)% certain that this is NOT the
> > case. But, so that I can be sure of my facts before (verbally) laying into
> > this idiot, could any contributors from the States confirm that there is no
> > such legal requirement, please?

> Of course it isn't the case. I seem to recall it is actually illegal
> in some city--Hollywood CA IIRC.

West Hollywood, CA - go West Hollywood! :) (This is a separate city from
Hollywood, for anyone who cares.)

Joyce

RobZip
May 17th 07, 02:20 AM
"Lynne" > wrote in message
. 97.142...

> Oh, my! No, there is definitely NO such legal requirement here. In fact,
> many Americans are vehemently opposed to declawing. I personally believe
> it is a barbaric, cruel procedure.

Indeed it is, and not at all effective at keeping cats from hunting birds.
I've seen declawd cats still able to catch and kill - not as efficiently as
if they still had claws, but fooling oneself with the idea that it would
prevent bird predation by cats is not realistic.

May 17th 07, 05:16 AM
On May 16, 4:00�pm, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER>
wrote:
> "Dave Whiley" > wrote in message

> >I have just read a "letter to the editor" (those able to receive British TV
> >will find it on ITV1 teletext page 328, sub-page 3 of 11, until 17 May).
>
> > The letter includes this statement:
>
> > "I think in America all kittens have to be 'declawed' by law to protect
> > the young birds, especially the fledglings. *Can we do this in England,
> > please?"
>
> > Now, from reading this group I'm 99.9(etc)% certain that this is NOT the
> > case. *But, so that I can be sure of my facts before (verbally) laying
> > into this idiot, could any contributors from the States confirm that there
> > is no such legal requirement, please?
>
> > Thanks!
>
> > --
> > Dave
>
> Absolutely not! *There are far more clawed than declawed cats in the U.S.
>
> MaryL
>
> Photos of Duffy and Holly: * * *>'o'< * [with claws intact!!!]
> Duffy: *http://tinyurl.com/cslwf
> Holly: *http://tinyurl.com/9t68o
> Duffy and Holly together: *http://tinyurl.com/8b47e- Hide quoted text -

A few years ago the city of West Hollywood, California passed a law
making it illegal to declaw cats.

May 17th 07, 05:47 AM
wrote:
> "Dave Whiley" > wrote in message

> >I have just read a "letter to the editor" (those able to receive British TV
> >will find it on ITV1 teletext page 328, sub-page 3 of 11, until 17 May).
>
> > The letter includes this statement:
>
> > "I think in America all kittens have to be 'declawed' by law to protect
> > the young birds, especially the fledglings. *Can we do this in England,
> > please?"
>
> > Now, from reading this group I'm 99.9(etc)% certain that this is NOT the
> > case. *But, so that I can be sure of my facts before (verbally) laying
> > into this idiot, could any contributors from the States confirm that there
> > is no such legal requirement, please?
>
> > Thanks!
>
> > --
> > Dave
>
> Absolutely not! *There are far more clawed than declawed cats in the U.S.
>
> MaryL
>
> Photos of Duffy and Holly: * * *>'o'< * [with claws intact!!!]
> Duffy: *http://tinyurl.com/cslwf
> Holly: *http://tinyurl.com/9t68o
> Duffy and Holly together: *http://tinyurl.com/8b47e- Hide quoted text -

A few years ago the city of West Hollywood, California passed a law
making it illegal to declaw cats.
Ed

May 17th 07, 02:08 PM
On 16 May, 18:56, "Dave Whiley" <[email protected]
whiley.WOSSNAMEfreeserve.co.uk> wrote:
> I have just read a "letter to the editor" (those able to receive British TV
> will find it on ITV1 teletext page 328, sub-page 3 of 11, until 17 May).
>
> The letter includes this statement:
>
> "I think in America all kittens have to be 'declawed' by law to protect the
> young birds, especially the fledglings. Can we do this in England, please?"
>
> Now, from reading this group I'm 99.9(etc)% certain that this is NOT the
> case. But, so that I can be sure of my facts before (verbally) laying into
> this idiot, could any contributors from the States confirm that there is no
> such legal requirement, please?
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> Dave
>
> not-me should be djw401 and there's no need for any wossname

I have just been to check the facts, & you will not be the only person
who will take the time to reeducate this sorely misinformed moron,
that this is in fact mutilation.
I am utterly disgusted that anyone would believe that this was the
case.

Once the Cat Protection League have the chance to respond to this
statement, It will be winging itself all the way to outer space. Who
in their right mind would think it normal to mutilate a cat by
amputating thier claws to the first joint, & would be a good thing to
do? I am incredulous beyond belief & ashamed that the person who
suggested this thought it was normal.

I love birds, but I would "Never" consider ripping my cats claws out
to ensure that the bird population were less at risk. Actually, I
would rather stop the human offenders before I started to worry about
the feline offenders, & I admit that my cats used to catch & kill
prey. It is thier nature, but it is not human nature. Humans seem to
shoot them for fun! Once we stamp that problem out, then I will
consider the next move, but it certainly won't involved amputating
thier paws!
K.

barb
May 17th 07, 03:46 PM
Lately one can no longer rely on newspapers or television for the facts.
You are smart to check this out on the internet. We have no laws regarding
declawing cats in the USA.

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,

Will in New Haven
May 17th 07, 04:34 PM
On May 16, 1:56 pm, "Dave Whiley" <[email protected]
whiley.WOSSNAMEfreeserve.co.uk> wrote:
> I have just read a "letter to the editor" (those able to receive British TV
> will find it on ITV1 teletext page 328, sub-page 3 of 11, until 17 May).
>
> The letter includes this statement:
>
> "I think in America all kittens have to be 'declawed' by law to protect the
> young birds, especially the fledglings. Can we do this in England, please?"
>
> Now, from reading this group I'm 99.9(etc)% certain that this is NOT the
> case. But, so that I can be sure of my facts before (verbally) laying into
> this idiot, could any contributors from the States confirm that there is no
> such legal requirement, please?
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> Dave

No such law is on the books. First of all, nothing like that would
ever be a nation-wide law in the U.S. We tend to handle such
regulations on a local or at most a state level. Secondly, I know of
no place in the U.S. that has such a barbaric law.

Will in New Haven

--

> not-me should be djw401 and there's no need for any wossname

sheelagh
May 17th 07, 04:37 PM
On 17 May, 01:18, mlbriggs > wrote:
> On Wed, 16 May 2007 18:56:55 +0100, Dave Whiley wrote:
> > I have just read a "letter to the editor" (those able to receive British TV
> > will find it on ITV1 teletext page 328, sub-page 3 of 11, until 17 May).
>
> > The letter includes this statement:
>
> > "I think in America all kittens have to be 'declawed' by law to protect the
> > young birds, especially the fledglings. Can we do this in England, please?"
>
> > Now, from reading this group I'm 99.9(etc)% certain that this is NOT the
> > case. But, so that I can be sure of my facts before (verbally) laying into
> > this idiot, could any contributors from the States confirm that there is no
> > such legal requirement, please?
>
> > Thanks!
>
> The writer of that letter has a vivid imagination. MLB

I am simply ashamed they were British!!
S:o(