PDA

View Full Version : my youngest cat is 9 weeks old and needs a flea collar

David Mooney
May 16th 07, 10:36 PM
What kind of cat collars are good for a cat so small? Or, should I rely on
Frontline? I hear Frontline is the best. I have applied Frontline to my
other cats in the past but I could still see fleas on them from time to time
not long after application. I want the best for my cats.

Regards,
David L

MaryL
May 16th 07, 10:50 PM
"David Mooney" > wrote in message
. ..
> What kind of cat collars are good for a cat so small? Or, should I rely on
> Frontline? I hear Frontline is the best. I have applied Frontline to my
> other cats in the past but I could still see fleas on them from time to
> time not long after application. I want the best for my cats.
>
> Regards,
> David L

Please don't use a flea collor, especially on a kitten. They can be
dangerous for your cat and are usually not effective. Also, don't use
over-the-counter preparations. Contact your vet for Advantage, Frontline,
or Revolution. Be sure to mention the age and weight of your cat when you
pick up the package.

MaryL

David Mooney
May 17th 07, 11:57 AM

> "David Mooney" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> What kind of cat collars are good for a cat so small? Or, should I rely
>> on Frontline? I hear Frontline is the best. I have applied Frontline to
>> my other cats in the past but I could still see fleas on them from time
>> to time not long after application. I want the best for my cats.
>>
>> Regards,
>> David L
>>

> Please don't use a flea collor, especially on a kitten. They can be
> dangerous for your cat and are usually not effective. Also, don't use
> over-the-counter preparations. Contact your vet for Advantage, Frontline,
> or Revolution. Be sure to mention the age and weight of your cat when you
> pick up the package.
>
> MaryL
Thanks Mary,

David L

bookie
May 17th 07, 05:11 PM
On 17 May, 11:57, "David Mooney" > wrote:
> "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote in message

> > "David Mooney" > wrote in message
> . ..
> >> What kind of cat collars are good for a cat so small? Or, should I rely
> >> on Frontline? I hear Frontline is the best. I have applied Frontline to
> >> my other cats in the past but I could still see fleas on them from time
> >> to time not long after application. I want the best for my cats.
>
> >> Regards,
> >> David L
>
> > Please don't use a flea collor, especially on a kitten. They can be
> > dangerous for your cat and are usually not effective. Also, don't use
> > over-the-counter preparations. Contact your vet for Advantage, Frontline,
> > or Revolution. Be sure to mention the age and weight of your cat when you
> > pick up the package.
>
> > MaryL
>
> Thanks Mary,
>
> David L- Hide quoted text -

i hate seeing collars on cats, i think it looks just awful and is
totally unnatural, use frontline, much better

James
May 18th 07, 06:42 PM
On May 17, 12:11 pm, bookie > wrote:
> On 17 May, 11:57, "David Mooney" > wrote:
>

> > "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote in message

> > > "David Mooney" > wrote in message
> > . ..

> > > Please don't use a flea collor, especially on a kitten. They can be
> > > dangerous for your cat and are usually not effective. Also, don't use
> > > over-the-counter preparations. Contact your vet for Advantage, Frontline,
> > > or Revolution. Be sure to mention the age and weight of your cat when you
> > > pick up the package.
>
> > > MaryL
>
> > Thanks Mary,
>
> > David L- Hide quoted text -

> i hate seeing collars on cats, i think it looks just awful and is
> totally unnatural, use frontline, much better- Hide quoted text -

My grey pussy looks good in a pink collar with bell. Kinda like a
girl with ribbon in her hair.

sheelagh
May 18th 07, 11:16 PM
On 16 May, 22:36, "David Mooney" > wrote:
> What kind of cat collars are good for a cat so small? Or, should I rely on
> Frontline? I hear Frontline is the best. I have applied Frontline to my
> other cats in the past but I could still see fleas on them from time to time
> not long after application. I want the best for my cats.
>
> Regards,
> David L

Front line & stronghold are about the best ones that I think are
good.. but please check with your vet before using them please?

I bet we all sound like a load of old farts telling you what is best
for your kitty, but I assure you that from my point of view, what I'm
about to tell you is the truth & nearly killed one of our cats too...

We have a cat called Lucy(fur!). I ended up having to trap her with
help and advice from Phil, because she wouldn't allow any one even
close to her. she was a stray that had been visiting our community
feeding bowl for some weeks when I noticed that her neck was swollen
on one side & that part of her collar wasn't visible.

Eventually I managed to find an American family an hours drive away
who were willing to lend me a trap to catch her & get her treated just
before last Xmas. Once we eventually managed to catch her, she was
like a little Tasmanian Devil, & appeared in so much pain. On closer
inspection, I realised that she had a collar on that she had out grown
when she was either dumped, or left out to fend for herself, Her skin
was all infected around it where the skin was actually growing over
the collar that was probably well intended, but causing her so much
trouble.

She had a couple of abscess's that needed draining, & a shot of
antibiotics as well as the skin cut open to remove the flea collar
that was the cause of all of this trouble & pain meds & oral
antibiotics to clear the rest of the infection as well. It was
terrible!!

It took her well over a month to recover from this terrible ordeal, &
in the process, my daughter Tilly was the only one of us that she
would allow near her..but slowly, she relearned to trust humans again
& we ended up keeping her. The name Lucy(fur!) was a very well earned
name & it has stuck ever since.....

My point here David, is that the collars are no where near as
effective as the flea preps that we are recommending to you.
Especially the spot on ones, because they all you have to do is
administer it in between her shoulder blades, & it is also effective
against some types of worms too. It is 99.99% effective, truly, as
long as she is old enough to have the spot on treatments & eliminates
the need to use a collar, however pretty it is. the dangers of the
collar are not just confined to outgrowing them- they can also get
caught & end up dangling from them, & in extreme cases can hang
themselves, which is something that I wouldn't wish on anyone....

By all means find a nice pink bow that you can clip to her fur to make
her look like the little kitty out of the Aristocats (my, she really
was sweet, lol;o)...
But please,.... think about taking that collar off her if you love
her. There are so many dangerous scenario's that I could spend hours
telling you about, but they would be boring and pointless after a
while....

***The main thing that I am trying to tell you is that they are no
where near as effective as the flea treatments that everyone has told
you about here already*** & they are by Far SAFER than ANY COLLAR that
you would care to use....

Tell you what we would all love to see.... A super duper Brilliant
Photo of your little ones when you have the time to post one, if you
wouldn't mind of course? The chances are that she is sooo pretty that
she wouldn't need one anyway....

Having said that, if you really want something to make her look Girly,
then do a search on the net. there are loads of inventive people out
there who have thought the same thing as you & have marketed their
safer idea's for people like us...

Good Luck David, & thank you for reading this. My only intention here
is to ask you to reconsider her collar. there are lots of other pretty
ideas for little kitty girls out there rather than dangerous
collars...

S;o)
PS: If this is the same little one that gets salmon for tea, then she
is a very well loved puss cat indeed, LOL >"o"<

bookie
May 19th 07, 12:43 AM
On 18 May, 23:16, sheelagh > wrote:
> [...]
> Photo of your little ones when you have the time to post one, if you
> wouldn't mind of course? The chances are that she is sooo pretty that
> she wouldn't need one anyway....
>
> Having said that, if you really want something to make her look Girly,
> then do a search on the net. there are loads of inventive people out
> there who have thought the same thing as you & have marketed their
> safer idea's for people like us...
>
> Good Luck David, & thank you for reading this. My only intention here
> is to ask you to reconsider her collar. there are lots of other pretty
> ideas for little kitty girls out there rather than dangerous
> collars...
>
> S;o)
> PS: If this is the same little one that gets salmon for tea, then she
> is a very well loved puss cat indeed, LOL >"o"<

there you go david, someone else who agrees with me that collars for
cats are BAD.
they are nowhere near as effective as spot on treatments for fleas and
ticks and lice, they are dangerous if the cat climbs and ends up
hangin itself from the collar and most of all, the sight of a cat, a
beautiful semi-wild creature, wearing some nasty, evil, horrid,
constraining man made collar is sad and abhorrent.

you can treat your cats fleas without using collars and you can make
sure your cat can be identified if lost without one too
(microchipping) so PLEASE don't put a collar on your beautiful little
girl, let all her natural beauty show, she is much more lovely and
pretty without one on.

bookie

David Mooney
May 19th 07, 05:16 AM
"sheelagh" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> [...]
> Photo of your little ones when you have the time to post one, if you
> wouldn't mind of course? The chances are that she is sooo pretty that
> she wouldn't need one anyway....
>
> Having said that, if you really want something to make her look Girly,
> then do a search on the net. there are loads of inventive people out
> there who have thought the same thing as you & have marketed their
> safer idea's for people like us...
>
> Good Luck David, & thank you for reading this. My only intention here
> is to ask you to reconsider her collar. there are lots of other pretty
> ideas for little kitty girls out there rather than dangerous
> collars...
>
> S;o)
> PS: If this is the same little one that gets salmon for tea, then she
> is a very well loved puss cat indeed, LOL >"o"<

hello shelagh,
Thanks for your nice letter. Tomorrow I am going to buy Frontline at
Wal-Mart. I am going to remove the collars. Ihave 4 cats and they are all
very deaar to me.
Each cat is a little different. But I do have a question. Rusty, thesecond
cat I ever had, doesn'tm like to be held. She ws a lap cat from 003 to 0005
but something chnaged a couple of year ago. She just didn't like being held
very much anymore. She still rubs her head on my legs and she lays next to
me sometimes. But no holding,

Thanks,
David Lee

---MIKE---
May 19th 07, 12:49 PM
David Lee wrote:

>>Tomorrow I am going to buy Frontline
>> at Wal-Mart.

I don't think Walmart sells Frontline. If they do - fine - but if not,
DO NOT buy any other spot on product such as Hartz. Cats have gotten
sick and even died from the use of these products.

When Amber was younger she used to sit on my lap but then she suddenly
stopped. She will rub on my legs and loves to sit next to me and be
petted but no lap. She also hates to be picked up.

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

MaryL
May 20th 07, 03:36 PM
"David Mooney" > wrote in message

> hello shelagh,
> Thanks for your nice letter. Tomorrow I am going to buy Frontline at
> Wal-Mart. I am going to remove the collars. Ihave 4 cats and they are all
> very deaar to me.
> Each cat is a little different. But I do have a question. Rusty, thesecond
> cat I ever had, doesn'tm like to be held. She ws a lap cat from 003 to
> 0005 but something chnaged a couple of year ago. She just didn't like
> being held very much anymore. She still rubs her head on my legs and she
> lays next to me sometimes. But no holding,
>
> Thanks,
> David Lee

I think you can buy Frontline, Advantage, and Revolution only from your vet
(not from WalMart) -- but you will not need an appointment to buy them. You
will not need to hold your cats to administer these products (between the
shoulderblades) because your cat cannot lick it off there. I suggest that
you remove the flea collar and then wait a few days before using one of
these treatments to avoid "over-dosing."

MaryL

PawsForThought
May 20th 07, 04:34 PM
Hi David,
You've gotten lots of great advice here, especially to avoid flea
collars and Hartz products. I would defnitely get something from your
vet so you will know it's safe for a kitten if she has fleas. If you
do decide to use a collar with ID tag, there are some that are
stretchy. Meaning if the cat were to get stuck, the collar would slip
over her head. This one is a very good one:

http://www.harmonybuckles.com/merchant/index.html

sheelagh
May 20th 07, 06:09 PM
On 19 May, 05:16, "David Mooney" > wrote:
> [...]
> very much anymore. She still rubs her head on my legs and she lays next to
> me sometimes. But no holding,
> Each cat is a little different. But I do have a question. Rusty, thesecond
> cat I ever had, doesn'tm like to be held. She ws a lap cat from 003 to 0005
> but something chnaged a couple of year ago. She just didn't like being held
> very much anymore. She still rubs her head on my legs and she lays next to
> me sometimes. But no holding,
>
> Thanks,
> David Lee- Hide quoted text -

> Each cat is a little different. But I do have a question. Rusty, thesecond
> cat I ever had, doesn'tm like to be held. She ws a lap cat from 003 to 0005
> but something chnaged a couple of year ago. She just didn't like being held
> very much anymore. She still rubs her head on my legs and she lays next to

Thank you for considering to remove their collars. I know that you
love your kitties..I can see that you are concerned about their
welfare by what you write David. You have no idea how much I
appreciate that! I very much hope that you don't think I was trying to
bully you into it, or trying to scare you, because that wasn't my
intention at all. I just never want to hear of anyone's cat going
through what out little girl did. It was one of the worst looking
wounds that I have ever come across, & the smell was putrefying too.
There are so many alternatives on the net for you to use instead to
make her look as beautiful as you would like her to be;o)

I don't know where you would buy frontline/advantage/stronghold in the
USA, but we have to get a prescription in the UK, then order what we
want from where we choose to but it from, regarding flea, & worm
treatment preparations. I mentioned the other spot on remover liquids
because they do two/three jobs in one, but do please consult a vet to
be sure that you can use them on your tiny little girl first please?

All you have to do is nip the end off the phial with some scissors,
then split the hair behind their shoulder blades, where they can't
lick it off & it lasts for many weeks, before you have to apply
another one & it keeps them flea, worm & tick free too.

> Each cat is a little different. But I do have a question. Rusty, the second
> cat I ever had, doesn'tm like to be held. She ws a lap cat from 003 to 0005
> but something chnaged a couple of year ago. She just didn't like being held
> very much anymore. She still rubs her head on my legs and she lays next to
> me sometimes. But no holding,

sometimes things can happen that you are not aware of.. ie: someone
picked him/her(?) up, & made them feel insecure, which is what has led
him/her feel that they no longer wish to sit in a place that makes
them feel that way. This is one of MANY possible
scenario's...However, the point is that Rusty does feel that way, so
what you need to do is build up on that trust again...(sometimes it is
not the owners fault, but someone that visits you).....

Personally, I would accept the leg weaving with lots of praise for
possitive reactions, but no forcing her to do something that he/she
doesn't want to do. I have a cat who is similar to the that as well.
She loves me, she sits @ my feet, she will sit on the arm of my chair
& even on the back of the chair, but never my lap unless I leave food
in my lap, in which case he wil sit down for a few moments, then gets
down again. So I know it is not a trust issue with her, it is more a
character thing.. she simply prefers not to sit on my knee... If you
can't get Rusty to sit on your knee then please don't think it is
"your Fault", because it's not, some cats just prefer it that way....
Anyway, brushuing around you is just as good, because it means that
the cat is marking you with scent glands so that every other cat knows
that you belong to them, LOL....

I look forward to hearing how your brood of cats gets on with the new
flea treatment. I'm certain that you will find them far more effective
because what happens is that the frontline phials soak into the skin,
& when the fleas bite, they feed on the fresh skin that the cat sheds
& it makes them die... This way, the eggs that they lay never get the
chance to develop either. with a flea collar, the only place that they
protect is the actual area that the collars cover!!
Good Luck Dave;o)
S;o)