PDA

View Full Version : You've got to read this

Phil P.
May 17th 07, 08:59 AM
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/foodwine/2003702435_petfood10.html

jmc
May 17th 07, 11:02 AM
Suddenly, without warning, Phil P. exclaimed (17-May-07 5:29 PM):
> http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/foodwine/2003702435_petfood10.html

Interesting. Reports are that the other company accused of adding
melamine to it's products is also closed and out of business.
Convenient, eh.

Hopefully that's now the end of it. Doubt it will be though.

jmc

Phil P.
May 17th 07, 02:10 PM
"jmc" > wrote in message
> Suddenly, without warning, Phil P. exclaimed (17-May-07 5:29 PM):
> > http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/foodwine/2003702435_petfood10.html
> >

> Interesting. Reports are that the other company accused of adding
> melamine to it's products is also closed and out of business.
> Convenient, eh.
>
> Hopefully that's now the end of it. Doubt it will be though.
>
> jmc

It won't be- as long as the US does business with China. When you do
business with Chinese, you have to be on the lookout for getting scammed all
the way down to the sub-atomic level-- down to fractions of a cent- far
below most people's radar. I know what I'm talking about. If I knew
certain pet food manufacturers were using *any* ingredients from China, I
never would have fed those brands to my cats.

PawsForThought
May 17th 07, 07:41 PM
Here's another interesting article:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18698701/

SHANGHAI, China - China says checks on food exporters have turned up
no sign of a chemical blamed for the deaths of cats and dogs in North
America, and urged U.S. authorities to refrain from further action
against Chinese producers.

The government body responsible for overseeing food safety said it
accompanied U.S. Food and Drug Administration inspectors on visits to
two companies blamed for the chemical contamination.

The incidents involving Xuzhou Anying Biologic Technology Development
Co. Ltd. and Binzhou Futian Biology Technology Co. Ltd. were "special
individual cases," the General Administration of Quality Supervision,
Inspection and Quarantine said in a statement viewed on its Web site
Wednesday.

U.S. inspectors said wheat gluten exported by the firms and used to
make pet food was tainted with a mildly toxic melamine and caused the
deaths of an unknown number of dogs and cats. That led to a recall of
154 brands of pet food contaminated with the chemical.

Chinese authorities have detained an undisclosed number of managers
from the two companies.

The statement said FDA inspectors also expressed satisfaction with the
quality controls and tracing measures in place at another exporter of
vegetable protein, Sinoglory, saying those met U.S. production
standards for similar products.

"China emphasizes that its determination to crackdown on law breaking
enterprises is firm and its policies are effective," said the
statement.

"We hope the American side will accurately and objectively deal with
problems among individual companies and not take stringent measures
against other Chinese companies producing the same type of products,"
it said."

jmc
May 18th 07, 01:25 PM
Suddenly, without warning, PawsForThought exclaimed (18-May-07 4:11 AM):
> Here's another interesting article:
>
> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18698701/
>
> SHANGHAI, China - China says checks on food exporters have turned up
> no sign of a chemical blamed for the deaths of cats and dogs in North
> America, and urged U.S. authorities to refrain from further action
> against Chinese producers.

You really gotta hope the FDA isn't that gullible. BOTH of the
companies implicated were completely closed and unable to be inspected.
In fact, one was razed to the ground.

Baseless supposition, but I'm entirely convinced the Chinese gov't knew
and supported these two companies and probably engineered the visa
delays so these two would be finished clearing out before the US would
be let in.

Oh, and so the one they did manage to inspect would be squeaky-clean.

Bah. I really wish I could get Meep to eat 'real' food. Only human
food I can get her to eat is Parmesan cheese, smoked salmon, and an
occasional shrimp. Not exactly the basis for a healthy diet. :(

jmc