PDA

View Full Version : Urgent--uncontrollable cat diarrhea

Linda J.
May 20th 07, 11:56 PM
Hi, I went looking for a cat's health group and found you. I'm
getting desperate and hope you may have some answers.

We took in a stray female in November, about 7 months old at the time,
and her and our male subsequently had kittens. The kittens were born
on February 28th and are still nursing. The vet told us not to make
her stop, that she would stop when ready. She has now developed
diarrhea so severe that any pressure on her stomach, such as us
picking her up, brings it on. I'm wondering if the prolonged nursing
has affected her health. We can't afford to take her to the vet until
Thursday, and am wondering if anyone has any home remedies we could
try. We have tried removing food overnight, but that did not help.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Noon Cat Nick
May 21st 07, 12:22 AM
Linda J. wrote:

>Hi, I went looking for a cat's health group and found you. I'm
>getting desperate and hope you may have some answers.
>
>We took in a stray female in November, about 7 months old at the time,
>and her and our male subsequently had kittens. The kittens were born
>on February 28th and are still nursing. The vet told us not to make
>her stop, that she would stop when ready. She has now developed
>diarrhea so severe that any pressure on her stomach, such as us
>picking her up, brings it on. I'm wondering if the prolonged nursing
>has affected her health. We can't afford to take her to the vet until
>Thursday, and am wondering if anyone has any home remedies we could
>try. We have tried removing food overnight, but that did not help.
>
>Any help is greatly appreciated.

It could indeed be stress-related, or caused by an as yet undetected
parasite or illness. From your description, there does seem to be
something very wrong with her gastrointestinal system.

Keep her off food for another 12 to 24 hours, but make sure she has
water (not milk or any other drink, just water) to prevent dehydration.
After that, feed her small portions of equal parts of cooked rice and
chicken baby food, and keep lots of water for her.

If the diarrhea has evidence of blood, or is fluid, or has a very foul
odor, don't wait until Thursday. Call the vet ASAP, ask to come in right
away, and ask about the possibility of a payment plan or paying on a
later date. If the vet refuses, keep calling others and don't stop until
you find one who will. But get that cat in as soon as you can if any of
the aforementioned conditions exist; they are possible signs of a very
serious illness that must be attended to urgently.

Linda J.
May 21st 07, 12:43 AM
On May 20, 7:22 pm, Noon Cat Nick >
wrote:
> Linda J. wrote:
> >Hi, I went looking for a cat's health group and found you. I'm
> >getting desperate and hope you may have some answers.
>
> >We took in a stray female in November, about 7 months old at the time,
> >and her and our male subsequently had kittens. The kittens were born
> >on February 28th and are still nursing. The vet told us not to make
> >her stop, that she would stop when ready. She has now developed
> >diarrhea so severe that any pressure on her stomach, such as us
> >picking her up, brings it on. I'm wondering if the prolonged nursing
> >has affected her health. We can't afford to take her to the vet until
> >Thursday, and am wondering if anyone has any home remedies we could
> >try. We have tried removing food overnight, but that did not help.
>
> >Any help is greatly appreciated.
>
> It could indeed be stress-related, or caused by an as yet undetected
> parasite or illness. From your description, there does seem to be
> something very wrong with her gastrointestinal system.
>
> Keep her off food for another 12 to 24 hours, but make sure she has
> water (not milk or any other drink, just water) to prevent dehydration.
> After that, feed her small portions of equal parts of cooked rice and
> chicken baby food, and keep lots of water for her.
>
> If the diarrhea has evidence of blood, or is fluid, or has a very foul
> odor, don't wait until Thursday. Call the vet ASAP, ask to come in right
> away, and ask about the possibility of a payment plan or paying on a
> later date. If the vet refuses, keep calling others and don't stop until
> you find one who will. But get that cat in as soon as you can if any of
> the aforementioned conditions exist; they are possible signs of a very
> serious illness that must be attended to urgently.- Hide quoted text -

Thankfully there is not blood.

I'll try not feeding her again, and thanks so much for your advice.
I'll keep you posted.

BTW, her name is Jessica.

cybercat
May 21st 07, 02:42 AM
"Linda J." > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi, I went looking for a cat's health group and found you. I'm
> getting desperate and hope you may have some answers.
>
> We took in a stray female in November, about 7 months old at the time,
> and her and our male subsequently had kittens.

Diarrhea will kill her before Thursday.

cybercat
May 21st 07, 02:43 AM
"Linda J." > wrote
> I'll try not feeding her again, and thanks so much for your advice.
> I'll keep you posted.
>
> BTW, her name is Jessica.

Please take Jessica to the vet before Thursday. I think she has
had this diarrhea for too long. When cats get dehydrated it is
very dangerous. The vet will work with you. (Hock something
if you need to.)

Gaius
May 21st 07, 02:51 AM
On May 20, 6:56 pm, "Linda J." > wrote:
> Hi, I went looking for a cat's health group and found you. I'm
> getting desperate and hope you may have some answers.
>
> We took in a stray female in November, about 7 months old at the time,
> and her and our male subsequently had kittens. The kittens were born
> on February 28th and are still nursing. The vet told us not to make
> her stop, that she would stop when ready. She has now developed
> diarrhea so severe that any pressure on her stomach, such as us
> picking her up, brings it on. I'm wondering if the prolonged nursing
> has affected her health. We can't afford to take her to the vet until
> Thursday, and am wondering if anyone has any home remedies we could
> try. We have tried removing food overnight, but that did not help.
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hi,
I am not a vet, but I sure have had a lot of cats. Over the years my
cats have had 4 litters. I never observed a phenomenon of diarrhea
such as you are describing that was related to nursing. I really just
wanted to emphasize a point in one of the earlier replies.

Contrary to popular opinion, it is never advisable to give a cat
milk. It promotes diarrhea. As the other author indicated, water is
the drink of choice.

If I were in your position, I would make an appointment to see the
vet. I would also ask about the advisability of using products
available over the counter to control the problem. Under the
circumstances, you might find out the vet's opinion on weaning at this
time.

We rescued a kitten, not long ago, who was 5-6 weeks old (we
thought). There was a problem contacting my vet due to a weekend and
holiday. The kitten obviously didn't know what to do with cat food,
but he was obviously hungry. I dabbed my finger in the food and got
the kitten to lick it. I slowly lowered my finger into the food, and
the little guy discovered he could lick that too. The plate was clean
shortly thereafter. We were careful, however, not to feed him a lot,
and waited around 6 hours before we fed him again. He didn't
understand about drinking water either, but the same technique worked
for that also.

Linda J.
May 21st 07, 05:43 AM
On May 20, 9:51 pm, Gaius > wrote:
> On May 20, 6:56 pm, "Linda J." > wrote:
>
> > Hi, I went looking for a cat's health group and found you. I'm
> > getting desperate and hope you may have some answers.
>
> > We took in a stray female in November, about 7 months old at the time,
> > and her and our male subsequently had kittens. The kittens were born
> > on February 28th and are still nursing. The vet told us not to make
> > her stop, that she would stop when ready. She has now developed
> > diarrhea so severe that any pressure on her stomach, such as us
> > picking her up, brings it on. I'm wondering if the prolonged nursing
> > has affected her health. We can't afford to take her to the vet until
> > Thursday, and am wondering if anyone has any home remedies we could
> > try. We have tried removing food overnight, but that did not help.
>
> > Any help is greatly appreciated.
>
> Hi,
> I am not a vet, but I sure have had a lot of cats. Over the years my
> cats have had 4 litters. I never observed a phenomenon of diarrhea
> such as you are describing that was related to nursing. I really just
> wanted to emphasize a point in one of the earlier replies.
>
> Contrary to popular opinion, it is never advisable to give a cat
> milk. It promotes diarrhea. As the other author indicated, water is
> the drink of choice.
>
> If I were in your position, I would make an appointment to see the
> vet. I would also ask about the advisability of using products
> available over the counter to control the problem. Under the
> circumstances, you might find out the vet's opinion on weaning at this
> time.
>
> We rescued a kitten, not long ago, who was 5-6 weeks old (we
> thought). There was a problem contacting my vet due to a weekend and
> holiday. The kitten obviously didn't know what to do with cat food,
> but he was obviously hungry. I dabbed my finger in the food and got
> the kitten to lick it. I slowly lowered my finger into the food, and
> the little guy discovered he could lick that too. The plate was clean
> shortly thereafter. We were careful, however, not to feed him a lot,
> and waited around 6 hours before we fed him again. He didn't
> understand about drinking water either, but the same technique worked
> for that also.

Thank you to everyone for their input. We phoned the emergency clinic
at about 8:30 p.m. and they were very understanding. We brought
Jessica in and they are keeping her at least overnight on an IV and
will then run tests. They do have payment options, which was a
relief, and Jessica is now getting the care she needs. The vet thinks
the kittens will do fine, as they are old enough to be weaned.

Again, thank you, it's a relief to know you are here.

Rhonda
May 21st 07, 05:54 AM
Linda,

Your cat needs to go to the the vet right away. That kind of diarrhea is
very dangerous. It could also be a sign of something like feline
distemper or parasites which could affect the kittens.

Having a litter can be expensive -- but when you chose to take on that
responsibility you've got to beg, borrow, or ask the vet to delay
payment, but your cat cannot wait for medical treatment.

I would also NOT withhold food. You can do that to dogs, but not to
cats. Cats can develop liver problems from not eating. Our cat had a
condition which is treated by fasting dogs, but never cats because the
risk is too high.

What are you feeding her? Have you changed food recently? Nursing moms
should be on a good quality kitten food. They need the extra nutrients.
Our vet had us change our mom-cat over slowly to not upset her system.
Hope your cat is eating wet cat food for the extra moisture.

Let us know what happens.

Rhonda

Linda J. wrote:
> Hi, I went looking for a cat's health group and found you. I'm
> getting desperate and hope you may have some answers.
>
> We took in a stray female in November, about 7 months old at the time,
> and her and our male subsequently had kittens. The kittens were born
> on February 28th and are still nursing. The vet told us not to make
> her stop, that she would stop when ready. She has now developed
> diarrhea so severe that any pressure on her stomach, such as us
> picking her up, brings it on. I'm wondering if the prolonged nursing
> has affected her health. We can't afford to take her to the vet until
> Thursday, and am wondering if anyone has any home remedies we could
> try. We have tried removing food overnight, but that did not help.
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated.

Noon Cat Nick
May 21st 07, 10:09 AM
Linda J. wrote:

>Thank you to everyone for their input. We phoned the emergency clinic
>at about 8:30 p.m. and they were very understanding. We brought
>Jessica in and they are keeping her at least overnight on an IV and
>will then run tests. They do have payment options, which was a
>relief, and Jessica is now getting the care she needs. The vet thinks
>the kittens will do fine, as they are old enough to be weaned.
>
>Again, thank you, it's a relief to know you are here.

Thank you for letting us know. Please keep us appraised on Jessica's
situation, if you would.

bookie
May 21st 07, 02:53 PM
On 21 May, 00:43, "Linda J." > wrote:
> On May 20, 7:22 pm, Noon Cat Nick >
> wrote:
>

> > Linda J. wrote:
> > >Hi, I went looking for a cat's health group and found you. I'm
> > >getting desperate and hope you may have some answers.
>
> > >We took in a stray female in November, about 7 months old at the time,
> > >and her and our male subsequently had kittens. The kittens were born
> > >on February 28th and are still nursing. The vet told us not to make
> > >her stop, that she would stop when ready. She has now developed
> > >diarrhea so severe that any pressure on her stomach, such as us
> > >picking her up, brings it on. I'm wondering if the prolonged nursing
> > >has affected her health. We can't afford to take her to the vet until
> > >Thursday, and am wondering if anyone has any home remedies we could
> > >try. We have tried removing food overnight, but that did not help.
>
> > >Any help is greatly appreciated.
>
> > It could indeed be stress-related, or caused by an as yet undetected
> > parasite or illness. From your description, there does seem to be
> > something very wrong with her gastrointestinal system.
>
> > Keep her off food for another 12 to 24 hours, but make sure she has
> > water (not milk or any other drink, just water) to prevent dehydration.
> > After that, feed her small portions of equal parts of cooked rice and
> > chicken baby food, and keep lots of water for her.
>
> > If the diarrhea has evidence of blood, or is fluid, or has a very foul
> > odor, don't wait until Thursday. Call the vet ASAP, ask to come in right
> > away, and ask about the possibility of a payment plan or paying on a
> > later date. If the vet refuses, keep calling others and don't stop until
> > you find one who will. But get that cat in as soon as you can if any of
> > the aforementioned conditions exist; they are possible signs of a very
> > serious illness that must be attended to urgently.- Hide quoted text -

> Thankfully there is not blood.
>
> I'll try not feeding her again, and thanks so much for your advice.
> I'll keep you posted.
>
> BTW, her name is Jessica.- Hide quoted text -

just take thecat to the vet and explain your financial situation, they
will help you, your cat will not survive until thursday unless you do
something NOW

home remedies are not enough you cat needs serious medical attention
immediately and when she is better you really must get her spayed,
very irresponsible to have allowed such a young cat to have kittens
with your tom, she is still a kitten herself really

bookie

bookie
May 21st 07, 02:57 PM
On 21 May, 05:43, "Linda J." > wrote:
> On May 20, 9:51 pm, Gaius > wrote:
>

> > On May 20, 6:56 pm, "Linda J." > wrote:
>
> > > Hi, I went looking for a cat's health group and found you. I'm
> > > getting desperate and hope you may have some answers.
>
> > > We took in a stray female in November, about 7 months old at the time,
> > > and her and our male subsequently had kittens. The kittens were born
> > > on February 28th and are still nursing. The vet told us not to make
> > > her stop, that she would stop when ready. She has now developed
> > > diarrhea so severe that any pressure on her stomach, such as us
> > > picking her up, brings it on. I'm wondering if the prolonged nursing
> > > has affected her health. We can't afford to take her to the vet until
> > > Thursday, and am wondering if anyone has any home remedies we could
> > > try. We have tried removing food overnight, but that did not help.
>
> > > Any help is greatly appreciated.
>
> > Hi,
> > I am not a vet, but I sure have had a lot of cats. Over the years my
> > cats have had 4 litters. I never observed a phenomenon of diarrhea
> > such as you are describing that was related to nursing. I really just
> > wanted to emphasize a point in one of the earlier replies.
>
> > Contrary to popular opinion, it is never advisable to give a cat
> > milk. It promotes diarrhea. As the other author indicated, water is
> > the drink of choice.
>
> > If I were in your position, I would make an appointment to see the
> > vet. I would also ask about the advisability of using products
> > available over the counter to control the problem. Under the
> > circumstances, you might find out the vet's opinion on weaning at this
> > time.
>
> > We rescued a kitten, not long ago, who was 5-6 weeks old (we
> > thought). There was a problem contacting my vet due to a weekend and
> > holiday. The kitten obviously didn't know what to do with cat food,
> > but he was obviously hungry. I dabbed my finger in the food and got
> > the kitten to lick it. I slowly lowered my finger into the food, and
> > the little guy discovered he could lick that too. The plate was clean
> > shortly thereafter. We were careful, however, not to feed him a lot,
> > and waited around 6 hours before we fed him again. He didn't
> > understand about drinking water either, but the same technique worked
> > for that also.
>
> Thank you to everyone for their input. We phoned the emergency clinic
> at about 8:30 p.m. and they were very understanding. We brought
> Jessica in and they are keeping her at least overnight on an IV and
> will then run tests. They do have payment options, which was a
> relief, and Jessica is now getting the care she needs. The vet thinks
> the kittens will do fine, as they are old enough to be weaned.
>
> Again, thank you, it's a relief to know you are here.- Hide quoted text -

thank god for that, let us know how she gets on and post any pictures
you have too

Rene S.
May 21st 07, 03:08 PM
On May 20, 11:43 pm, "Linda J." > wrote:
> On May 20, 9:51 pm, Gaius > wrote:
>> Thank you to everyone for their input. We phoned the emergency clinic
> at about 8:30 p.m. and they were very understanding. We brought
> Jessica in and they are keeping her at least overnight on an IV and
> will then run tests. They do have payment options, which was a
> relief, and Jessica is now getting the care she needs. The vet thinks
> the kittens will do fine, as they are old enough to be weaned.
>
> Again, thank you, it's a relief to know you are here.

How is Jessica doing now???

Linda J.
May 23rd 07, 04:36 PM
On May 21, 10:08 am, "Rene S." > wrote:
> On May 20, 11:43 pm, "Linda J." > wrote:
>
> > On May 20, 9:51 pm, Gaius > wrote:
> >> Thank you to everyone for their input. We phoned the emergency clinic
> > at about 8:30 p.m. and they were very understanding. We brought
> > Jessica in and they are keeping her at least overnight on an IV and
> > will then run tests. They do have payment options, which was a
> > relief, and Jessica is now getting the care she needs. The vet thinks
> > the kittens will do fine, as they are old enough to be weaned.
>
> > Again, thank you, it's a relief to know you are here.
>
> How is Jessica doing now???

Jessica and I just go home. All her tests were negative. She's been
on intravenous and the diarrhea has stopped. She's tired still, but
happy to be here.

cybercat
May 23rd 07, 07:27 PM
"Linda J." > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On May 21, 10:08 am, "Rene S." > wrote:

>> > at about 8:30 p.m. and they were very understanding. We brought
>> > Jessica in and they are keeping her at least overnight on an IV and
>> > will then run tests. They do have payment options, which was a
>> > relief, and Jessica is now getting the care she needs. The vet thinks
>> > the kittens will do fine, as they are old enough to be weaned.
>>
>> > Again, thank you, it's a relief to know you are here.
>>
>> How is Jessica doing now???
>
> Jessica and I just go home. All her tests were negative. She's been
> on intravenous and the diarrhea has stopped. She's tired still, but
> happy to be here.

Great news, you took good care of her.