PDA

View Full Version : Homemade catfood?

Ken Knecht
May 21st 07, 02:29 PM
If you are making your own cat food, what is your cat's favorite catfood?
I've been feeding raw ground turkey. At first she ate it for a few days,
then refused it. I tried again after a week and she ate only about 2/3 of
it. Next day I tried leaving the supplements - calcium, B-complex, Vit E,
and other stuff - off and she ate it all. Last night I tried her on a
little mixed fried chicken livers, tomatoes, peppers, onions and rice I
was having for supper and she ate that. So evidently it's the supplements
she doesn't like, not the food. How do you smuggle them into the food and
what do you use?

I ordered some stuff suggested in a book on cat nutrition I'm using -
bone meal, brewer's yeast, lethicin, cod liver oil, Udo Choice oil (omega
3 & 6 & other essential oils), taurine, etc. and will experiment with
that. I had been using ground up calcium, E, and B-complex that I take,
and some mixed supplements I got at the pet store.

How do you successfully do it?

--
Untie the two knots to email me

Every silver lining has a cloud.

Rene S.
May 21st 07, 03:06 PM
Why don't you try a premade raw diet? That way you won't have to worry
about adding the correct supplements. I buy Nature's Variety raw
(frozen). It's formed into small nugget shapes, so it's easy to take
out as may as you need.

www.naturesvariety.com

(not affiliated with the company, but a satisfied customer)

Rene

Ken Knecht
May 21st 07, 06:03 PM
"Rene S." > wrote in news:1179756360.879155.308210
@n15g2000prd.googlegroups.com:

> Why don't you try a premade raw diet? That way you won't have to worry
> about adding the correct supplements. I buy Nature's Variety raw
> (frozen). It's formed into small nugget shapes, so it's easy to take
> out as may as you need.
>
> www.naturesvariety.com
>
> (not affiliated with the company, but a satisfied customer)
>
> Rene

Thanks.

Unfortunately, no retailers in my area. I live in SW AZ and the nearest are
in CA, in towns I never heard of so they can't be very close. Too bad.
Sounds like a good product and perhaps the answer to my quest.

--
Untie the two knots to email me

Every silver lining has a cloud.

PawsForThought
May 21st 07, 06:35 PM
My cats favorite meal is quail. I buy 4 in a package and then use a
poultry shears to cut it up into manageable pieces. Their favorite
ground meat right now is turkey but that will usually change as I find
they go through phases of liking different meats. I feed a specific
meat for 2 or 3 days then rotate. The key to a really good raw diet
is variety. If you feed only one or two meats, the cat can get tired
of it. My cats like venison, ostrich and beef as well. My cats have
been fed raw since they were kittens. I know it's a lot harder when
switching over an adult cat. Are you following a speicific recipe
i.e. the supplements? Raw meat has different supplement requirements
that processed cooked food so it's good to follow a recipe. I use a
pestal and mortor to grind the supplements into a powder. Then I put
each meal's supplements in a 3 oz paper cup. When it's time to feed
them, I add about a tablespoon of water to the powdered supps and stir
it well. Then I add it to the meat. I use ground eggshell powder I
make from organic eggs as my calcium source. As another option for
you, Feline Future sells a powdered supplement that you just add to
the meat. All the math has been done for you so it makes feeding a
raw diet very easy. I would also really recommend joining one of the
raw feeding groups where there are mentors who've been feeding raw for
a long time, and who can really help someone starting out with a raw
diet. If you're interested, email me and I can send you some links.

Lauren

Rene S.
May 21st 07, 06:40 PM
> Unfortunately, no retailers in my area. I live in SW AZ and the nearest are
> in CA, in towns I never heard of so they can't be very close. Too bad.
> Sounds like a good product and perhaps the answer to my quest.
>
> --
> Untie the two knots to email me

Maybe you can check with a local pet store to see if they might start
stocking it? The store where I get mine from sells it out like
hotcakes. Or perhaps a health food store would stock it?

cindys
May 21st 07, 07:59 PM
"Ken Knecht" > wrote in message
> Last night I tried her on a
> little mixed fried chicken livers, tomatoes, peppers, onions and rice
-----------
I just wanted to comment on this point - Onions (and garlic and
raisins/grapes) are all really bad for cats. Onions and garlic will give the
cat anemia. Raisins/grapes can kill the cat. Please don't feed your cat any
more onions (either raw or cooked).
Best regardsm
---Cindy S.

Rene S.
May 21st 07, 09:34 PM
On May 21, 1:59 pm, "cindys" > wrote:
> "Ken Knecht" > wrote in message
>
> ...> Last night I tried her on a
> > little mixed fried chicken livers, tomatoes, peppers, onions and rice
>
> -----------
> I just wanted to comment on this point - Onions (and garlic and
> raisins/grapes) are all really bad for cats. Onions and garlic will give the
> cat anemia. Raisins/grapes can kill the cat. Please don't feed your cat any
> more onions (either raw or cooked).
> Best regardsm
> ---Cindy S.

Cindy,

Wow, I missed that! You are indeed correct.

PawsForThought
May 22nd 07, 12:48 AM
On May 21, 1:40 pm, "Rene S." > wrote:
> > Unfortunately, no retailers in my area. I live in SW AZ and the nearest are
> > in CA, in towns I never heard of so they can't be very close. Too bad.
> > Sounds like a good product and perhaps the answer to my quest.
>
> > --
> > Untie the two knots to email me
>
> Maybe you can check with a local pet store to see if they might start
> stocking it? The store where I get mine from sells it out like
> hotcakes. Or perhaps a health food store would stock it?

I've seen the Nature's Variety at Whole Foods but I don't think it was
their raw one. I did see a frozen raw food called something like
Country Pet there though. I've never tried it so I can't comment.

PawsForThought
May 22nd 07, 12:51 AM
I found the Country Pet website. I guess if you join, they send you a
free gift (maybe a coupon for free food??) Renee, have you ever heard
of this food?

http://www.countrypet.com/free.asp

Olux
May 22nd 07, 12:30 PM
Hi ken
I'm giving since two month with success raw food for my cat .
I'm using the receip givin in raisin your cat naturally from Michelle
Bernard. No vegetable at all. Cat are strick carnivore
I use chicken tighs with the bone, chicken hart, liver, egg yolk, water ,
taurine, salmon oil, vit B complex and Vit E and very little kelp and dulse,
That's all

You can find a similar receip here
http://www.catinfo.org/makingcatfood.htm#The_Ingredients

Since, no more **** and urinary problem. His furs is now beautiful and he is
more playfull and he is back in his litter for hs poops

"Ken Knecht" > a écrit dans le message de news:
> If you are making your own cat food, what is your cat's favorite catfood?
> I've been feeding raw ground turkey. At first she ate it for a few days,
> then refused it. I tried again after a week and she ate only about 2/3 of
> it. Next day I tried leaving the supplements - calcium, B-complex, Vit E,
> and other stuff - off and she ate it all. Last night I tried her on a
> little mixed fried chicken livers, tomatoes, peppers, onions and rice I
> was having for supper and she ate that. So evidently it's the supplements
> she doesn't like, not the food. How do you smuggle them into the food and
> what do you use?
>
> I ordered some stuff suggested in a book on cat nutrition I'm using -
> bone meal, brewer's yeast, lethicin, cod liver oil, Udo Choice oil (omega
> 3 & 6 & other essential oils), taurine, etc. and will experiment with
> that. I had been using ground up calcium, E, and B-complex that I take,
> and some mixed supplements I got at the pet store.
>
> How do you successfully do it?
>

> --
> Untie the two knots to email me
>
> Every silver lining has a cloud.

Rene S.
May 22nd 07, 02:49 PM
On May 21, 6:51 pm, PawsForThought > wrote:
> I found the Country Pet website. I guess if you join, they send you a
> free gift (maybe a coupon for free food??) Renee, have you ever heard
> of this food?
>
> http://www.countrypet.com/free.asp

Yes, and I've seen it at pet stores too. I haven't tried it, though. I
couldn't get the cat food page to come up. What are the ingredients?

Rene S.
May 22nd 07, 08:50 PM
I've been thinking about your situation. With all of the hysteria from
the pet-food recall, I'm guessing this is why you've chosen to make
your cat's food. However, there are brands that are safe. I have a
friend who's done extensive research (even calling the companies)
because she has a number of cats and was obviously concerned about
their well being. These three companies (canned versions) are high
quality foods:

Wellness canned (chicken, turkey, beef & chicken, chicken & herring,
turkey & salmon): http://www.omhpet.com/wellness/cat_index.html
Nature's Variety canned: www.naturesvariety.com
Innova Evo canned: http://www.naturapet.com/brands/evo.asp

All these brands are made with human-grade ingredients and are grain
free. If you can't find a store near you, I'm sure there's an online
store that would ship it to you. I urge you to check out one of these
brands. I'd hate to see your cat become ill from an unbalanced diet.

Rene

PawsForThought
May 24th 07, 06:14 PM
On May 22, 9:49 am, "Rene S." > wrote:
> > >http://www.countrypet.com/free.asp
>
> Yes, and I've seen it at pet stores too. I haven't tried it, though. I
> couldn't get the cat food page to come up. What are the ingredients?

Copied from their site: Ingredients: Chicken, Fish, Water
(sufficient for processing), Whole Eggs, a pinch or two of Vitamins
and Minerals consisting of: S Choline Chloride Supplement, Magnesium
Oxide, Zinc Sulphate, Ferrous Sulphate, alt (Sodium Chloride), Vitamin
E Supplement, Copper Sulphate Supplement, Manganese Sulphate,
Nicotinic Acid, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Acetate Supplement,
Vitamin B2, Calcium Iodate, Selenium Supplement, Vitamin B12
Supplement, Vitamin B6 Hydrochloride, Vitamin B1 Hydrochloride,
Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid.

I don't know anyone who's fed this food, just that I saw it at Whole
Foods. I did sign up for the coupon for the free package. But I
probably won't use it as I see it has fish in it and I'm highly
allergic to it. I'd be too afraid if I touched it, I would have a
reaction. It's weird, I can give my cats fish oil, no problems, but I
can't touch fish.

Rene S.
May 24th 07, 07:42 PM
On May 24, 12:14 pm, PawsForThought > wrote:

> > Yes, and I've seen it at pet stores too. I haven't tried it, though. I
> > couldn't get the cat food page to come up. What are the ingredients?
>
> Copied from their site: Ingredients: Chicken, Fish, Water
> (sufficient for processing), Whole Eggs, a pinch or two of Vitamins
> and Minerals consisting of: S Choline Chloride Supplement, Magnesium
> Oxide, Zinc Sulphate, Ferrous Sulphate, alt (Sodium Chloride), Vitamin
> E Supplement, Copper Sulphate Supplement, Manganese Sulphate,
> Nicotinic Acid, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Acetate Supplement,
> Vitamin B2, Calcium Iodate, Selenium Supplement, Vitamin B12
> Supplement, Vitamin B6 Hydrochloride, Vitamin B1 Hydrochloride,
> Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid.
>
> I don't know anyone who's fed this food, just that I saw it at Whole
> Foods. I did sign up for the coupon for the free package. But I
> probably won't use it as I see it has fish in it and I'm highly
> allergic to it. I'd be too afraid if I touched it, I would have a
> reaction. It's weird, I can give my cats fish oil, no problems, but I
> can't touch fish.

I'm not crazy about feeding fish to cats myself. I know it can be an
allergen. Did you check out the other foods in the post above?

PawsForThought
May 25th 07, 07:24 PM
On May 24, 2:42 pm, "Rene S." > wrote:

> > > Yes, and I've seen it at pet stores too. I haven't tried it, though. I
> > > couldn't get the cat food page to come up. What are the ingredients?
>
> > Copied from their site: Ingredients: Chicken, Fish, Water
> > (sufficient for processing), Whole Eggs, a pinch or two of Vitamins
> > and Minerals consisting of: S Choline Chloride Supplement, Magnesium
> > Oxide, Zinc Sulphate, Ferrous Sulphate, alt (Sodium Chloride), Vitamin
> > E Supplement, Copper Sulphate Supplement, Manganese Sulphate,
> > Nicotinic Acid, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Acetate Supplement,
> > Vitamin B2, Calcium Iodate, Selenium Supplement, Vitamin B12
> > Supplement, Vitamin B6 Hydrochloride, Vitamin B1 Hydrochloride,
> > Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid.
>
> > I don't know anyone who's fed this food, just that I saw it at Whole
> > Foods. I did sign up for the coupon for the free package. But I
> > probably won't use it as I see it has fish in it and I'm highly
> > allergic to it. I'd be too afraid if I touched it, I would have a
> > reaction. It's weird, I can give my cats fish oil, no problems, but I
> > can't touch fish.
>
> I'm not crazy about feeding fish to cats myself. I know it can be an
> allergen. Did you check out the other foods in the post above?- Hide quoted text -

I feed my cats homemade raw, but I got a bag of Evo and use it as
treats for my cats. As soon as you say the word "treat" they come
running. I remember Nature's Variety customer support was really good
when I had inquired what their proximate analysis of their food was.
They seemed a lot more helpful than most pet food companies.

Olux
May 26th 07, 11:38 AM
"PawsForThought" > a écrit dans le message de news:
om...
> On May 24, 2:42 pm, "Rene S." > wrote:

> I feed my cats homemade raw, but I got a bag of Evo and use it as
> treats for my cats.

What is your homemade raw receipie. Can we find it on the web. I mentionned
above in this forum the one that I use since 3 weeks and the result on my
cat are considerable. I would like to compare with other raw receipies
Thanks