PDA

View Full Version : Back Legs Giving Out

MoMo via CatKB.com
May 23rd 07, 08:56 PM
My friend's 7 year old cat has diabetes. In the past two weeks, he has been
having on and off again diarhhea and his back legs give out on him. She
brought him to the vet on Monday in fear that it was his diabetes acting up
and was told that his blood and feces were fine and that it may be
neurological. She is waiting for them to run more tests. Other than these
symptoms, he is fine. Normal appetite, not lethargic, goes to the bathroom
normally (besides the occassional diarhhea). While we wait for more test
results (she is always trying to get a urine sample from him), does anyone
have any idea what this could be?

MaryL
May 23rd 07, 10:45 PM
"MoMo via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> My friend's 7 year old cat has diabetes. In the past two weeks, he has
> been
> having on and off again diarhhea and his back legs give out on him. She
> brought him to the vet on Monday in fear that it was his diabetes acting
> up
> and was told that his blood and feces were fine and that it may be
> neurological. She is waiting for them to run more tests. Other than
> these
> symptoms, he is fine. Normal appetite, not lethargic, goes to the
> bathroom
> normally (besides the occassional diarhhea). While we wait for more test
> results (she is always trying to get a urine sample from him), does anyone
> have any idea what this could be?

Has he been tested for kidney function (testing both blood and urine)?

MaryL

MoMo via CatKB.com
May 24th 07, 12:23 AM
Thank you both for your responses.

Mary - When she called the vet this morning (she takes her kitty to the
Humane Society) she was just told that the blood and stool sample showed that
his diabetes has not flared up and they were waiting for the results of other
tests (what those are, I don't know). I will have her call tomorrow and ask
if they are running kidney tests.

Narnia - Thank you for the websites! I will give them to her tomorrow. The
neuopathy does sound like what she was explaining to me but would that have
showed up when they tested him to see if his diabetes had flared up (they
said that he was fine in that department) or is there a seperate test for
that? Would that also cause the diarhhea he is experiencing?

Thanks again guys!

~ narnia ~ wrote:
>>My friend's 7 year old cat has diabetes. In the past two weeks, he has been
>>having on and off again diarhhea and his back legs give out on him. She
>[quoted text clipped - 5 lines]
>>results (she is always trying to get a urine sample from him), does anyone
>>have any idea what this could be?
>
>This is diabetic neuropathy. The wiki of the Feline Diabetes website
>has an explanation here:
>
>http://petdiabetes.wikia.com/wiki/Neuropathy
>
>I highly recommend this site to your friend. The people who post on
>the forum are very knowledgable and it's a great support group:
>
>http://felinediabetes.com/
>
>~ narnia ~

Joe Canuck[_2_]
May 24th 07, 02:50 AM
MoMo via CatKB.com wrote:
> My friend's 7 year old cat has diabetes. In the past two weeks, he has been
> having on and off again diarhhea and his back legs give out on him. She
> brought him to the vet on Monday in fear that it was his diabetes acting up
> and was told that his blood and feces were fine and that it may be
> neurological. She is waiting for them to run more tests. Other than these
> symptoms, he is fine. Normal appetite, not lethargic, goes to the bathroom
> normally (besides the occassional diarhhea). While we wait for more test
> results (she is always trying to get a urine sample from him), does anyone
> have any idea what this could be?

Jesus! Back legs giving out and other than that plus the digestive
issues and diabetes and everything is fine you say?!?!

"The house burned down last week, other than that everything is fine at
home."

MoMo via CatKB.com
May 24th 07, 03:11 AM
Yes Joe, other than his back legs giving out and the diarhhea, everything
else is fine. I see you can read which is good.

Joe Canuck wrote:
>> My friend's 7 year old cat has diabetes. In the past two weeks, he has been
>> having on and off again diarhhea and his back legs give out on him. She
>[quoted text clipped - 5 lines]
>> results (she is always trying to get a urine sample from him), does anyone
>> have any idea what this could be?
>
>Jesus! Back legs giving out and other than that plus the digestive
>issues and diabetes and everything is fine you say?!?!
>
>"The house burned down last week, other than that everything is fine at
>home."

Joe Canuck[_2_]
May 24th 07, 12:12 PM
MoMo via CatKB.com wrote:
> Yes Joe, other than his back legs giving out and the diarhhea, everything
> else is fine. I see you can read which is good.
>
> Joe Canuck wrote:
>>> My friend's 7 year old cat has diabetes. In the past two weeks, he has been
>>> having on and off again diarhhea and his back legs give out on him. She
>> [quoted text clipped - 5 lines]
>>> results (she is always trying to get a urine sample from him), does anyone
>>> have any idea what this could be?
>> Jesus! Back legs giving out and other than that plus the digestive
>> issues and diabetes and everything is fine you say?!?!
>>
>> "The house burned down last week, other than that everything is fine at
>> home."

The whole point is... there needs to be more of a sense of urgency over
this issue because back legs giving out is a serious condition.

Trading insults doesn't help the cat.

MoMo via CatKB.com
May 24th 07, 02:04 PM
First of all Joe, as far as trading insults, you need to take your own advice.
Second of all, my friend brought her cat to the vet on Monday, as soon as the
symptoms started and they are presently running tests. I would say she acted
quickly and with "urgency", what else do you want? I came on here to get
some advice while we wait for the remainder of the test results. Now please,
if you have no advice to offer in this matter, please keep your thoughts to
yourself. Thank you.

Joe Canuck wrote:
>> Yes Joe, other than his back legs giving out and the diarhhea, everything
>> else is fine. I see you can read which is good.
>[quoted text clipped - 9 lines]
>>> "The house burned down last week, other than that everything is fine at
>>> home."
>
>The whole point is... there needs to be more of a sense of urgency over
>this issue because back legs giving out is a serious condition.
>
>Trading insults doesn't help the cat.

Annie Wxill
May 24th 07, 07:47 PM
"MoMo via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> My friend's 7 year old cat has diabetes. In the past two weeks, he has
> been
> having on and off again diarhhea and his back legs give out on him. She
> brought him to the vet on Monday in fear that it was his diabetes acting
> up
> and was told that his blood and feces were fine and that it may be
> neurological. She is waiting for them to run more tests. Other than
> these
> symptoms, he is fine. Normal appetite, not lethargic, goes to the
> bathroom
> normally (besides the occassional diarhhea). While we wait for more test
> results (she is always trying to get a urine sample from him), does anyone
> have any idea what this could be?

Hello,

We once had a diabetic cat. He also did fine except that his legs became
progressively weaker. Eventually, he waddled sort of like a duck on the
hind legs, but his front legs were fine. When he could not get in the
litter box, we put those pads they use on hospital beds next to the box and
he used them.

He accepted the insulin injections without any problems.

After he got to the point where we took him in to have him euthanized, I got
a computer and Internet access. I wish I could have had access to help when
he was still alive.

I learned that the weakness in the hind legs can be caused by a potassium
deficiency. You should suggest to your friend that she ask the vet about
potassium supplementation. She can also research this online.

Best wishes to your friend and her cat.

Annie

Joe Canuck[_2_]
May 24th 07, 10:50 PM
MoMo via CatKB.com wrote:
> First of all Joe, as far as trading insults, you need to take your own advice.
> Second of all, my friend brought her cat to the vet on Monday, as soon as the
> symptoms started and they are presently running tests. I would say she acted
> quickly and with "urgency", what else do you want? I came on here to get
> some advice while we wait for the remainder of the test results. Now please,
> if you have no advice to offer in this matter, please keep your thoughts to
> yourself. Thank you.
>
> Joe Canuck wrote:
>>> Yes Joe, other than his back legs giving out and the diarhhea, everything
>>> else is fine. I see you can read which is good.
>> [quoted text clipped - 9 lines]
>> The whole point is... there needs to be more of a sense of urgency over
>> this issue because back legs giving out is a serious condition.
>>
>> Trading insults doesn't help the cat.

This is about the cat, not about the personalities in this group.

One week is long enough for the vet to diddle about.

MoMo via CatKB.com
May 25th 07, 12:01 AM
One week? She brought the cat to the vet on Monday which is only 3 days ago.
The vet called her last night and left her a message (which is only 2 days)
and she was not able to get through to the vet today. Hopefully she will be
able to get through tonight and be able to get the results and start
treatment ASAP. You need to understand that this is the Humane Society in
New York City and the demand that they are under is huge. You don't just
call and get to talk to the vet in most cases right away, they call you.

The message that the vet left last night was that the blood test did in fact
show "positive" for a flare up of the diabetes and that she would go more
into it when they talk. This is bizarre being that she was originally told
it was negative by the nurse.

Please send purrs for my friend and her cat. She lost a cat to diabetes
three years ago and adopted this one 2 years ago when he was 5 and knew that
he had diabetes. He had spent his whole life in the shelter because no one
wanted to deal with the illness and he deserves a long and healthy life.
Thanks again everyone (even you Joe for seeming to care about the cat in your
own way)

Joe Canuck wrote:
>> First of all Joe, as far as trading insults, you need to take your own advice.
>> Second of all, my friend brought her cat to the vet on Monday, as soon as the
>[quoted text clipped - 13 lines]
>>>
>>> Trading insults doesn't help the cat.
>
>This is about the cat, not about the personalities in this group.
>
>One week is long enough for the vet to diddle about.

May 25th 07, 01:45 AM
"MoMo via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote
> Please send purrs for my friend and her cat.

Wrong group.

MoMo via CatKB.com
May 25th 07, 02:24 AM
Wrong group for what?

cybercat wrote:
>> Please send purrs for my friend and her cat.
>
>Wrong group.

May 25th 07, 02:28 AM
"MoMo via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> Wrong group for what?

Purrs.

A few of us may offer prayers for your friend and her cat.

MoMo via CatKB.com
May 25th 07, 03:45 AM
And I am sure a few will offer purrs but thank you for your prayers.

cybercat wrote:
>> Wrong group for what?
>
>Purrs.
>
>A few of us may offer prayers for your friend and her cat.

cindys
May 25th 07, 06:05 AM
"MoMo via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> Thank you both for your responses.
>
> Mary - When she called the vet this morning (she takes her kitty to the
> Humane Society) she was just told that the blood and stool sample showed
> that
> his diabetes has not flared up and they were waiting for the results of
> other
> tests (what those are, I don't know). I will have her call tomorrow and
> ask
> if they are running kidney tests.
>
> Narnia - Thank you for the websites! I will give them to her tomorrow.
> The
> neuopathy does sound like what she was explaining to me but would that
> have
> showed up when they tested him to see if his diabetes had flared up (they
> said that he was fine in that department) or is there a seperate test for
> that?
----------
In humans, the way one tests for neuropathy is with EMG (electromyography)
and nerve conduction studies which generally involve a series of electrodes
and inserting a small needle in various locations and measuring the rate at
which a nerve impulse moves from one location to another along a given
nerve. I have never heard of such an exam being performed on a cat (which is
not to say that it isn't done, just that I've never heard of it). But
neuropathy cannot be detected from a blood or urine test.

I don't know about cats, but humans can experience diabetic neuropathy even
without technically having diabetes, just glucose intolerance (which is a
precursor to diabetes). Additionally, diabetic neuropathy can develop in
humans even if the diabetes is kept under control, although the greater the
control, the lower the likelihood of developing neuropathy. In humans, when
the diabetes is under control, the diabetic neuropathy can sometimes be
stabilized but improvement is generally minimal. Another possibility (I
haven't looked at the website) is that the kitty is experiencing muscle
weakness from loss of potassium due to frequent urination. A
potassium/vitamin B supplement may improve the latter situation.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

cindys
May 25th 07, 06:06 AM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "MoMo via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>> Wrong group for what?
>
> Purrs.
>
> A few of us may offer prayers for your friend and her cat.
----------
??? People on this group offer purrs on a regular basis.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

cybercat
May 25th 07, 07:10 AM
"cindys" > wrote in message

> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>>
>> "MoMo via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]
>>> Wrong group for what?
>>
>> Purrs.
>>
>> A few of us may offer prayers for your friend and her cat.
> ----------
> ??? People on this group offer purrs on a regular basis.
> Best regards,
> ---Cindy S.

Wrong group.

Try rec.pets.cats.anecdolts.

Matthew
May 25th 07, 07:13 AM
"MoMo via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> And I am sure a few will offer purrs but thank you for your prayers.
>

>>Purrs.
>>
>>A few of us may offer prayers for your friend and her cat.

Prayers and Purrs from the pack being sent gladly

cindys
May 25th 07, 07:35 AM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "cindys" > wrote in message
>>
>> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> "MoMo via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]
>>>
>>> Purrs.
>>>
>>> A few of us may offer prayers for your friend and her cat.
>> ----------
>> ??? People on this group offer purrs on a regular basis.
>> Best regards,
>> ---Cindy S.
>
> Wrong group.
>
> Try rec.pets.cats.anecdolts.
----------
I'm not sure what's going on here (maybe I inadvertently got into the middle
of someone else's dispute), but I often post (to this group) statements like
"Purrs for your kitty's recovery" and I've seen others do the same. I don't
read any other cat groups, and I certainly didn't invent the expression. It
seems like a rather benign expression, and I don't understand what's the big
deal to say that people on this group frequently use this expression (which
they do). I've never seen anyone offer "prayers" on this group.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Matthew
May 25th 07, 07:41 AM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "cindys" > wrote in message
>>
>> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> "MoMo via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]
>>>
>>> Purrs.
>>>
>>> A few of us may offer prayers for your friend and her cat.
>> ----------
>> ??? People on this group offer purrs on a regular basis.
>> Best regards,
>> ---Cindy S.
>
> Wrong group.
>
> Try rec.pets.cats.anecdolts.

We can do it also here cybercat. You all did it when I thought I was going
to lose spirit when he had that bad infection. Which now we think was due
to the pet food recall before it became public knowledge
Most of us are cat lovers and proud of it. I will gladly off purrs if
someone needs them \. You know you want to Cyber I can see you smiling from
here ;-)

Joe Canuck[_2_]
May 25th 07, 12:18 PM
MoMo via CatKB.com wrote:
> And I am sure a few will offer purrs but thank you for your prayers.
>
> cybercat wrote:
>>> Wrong group for what?
>> Purrs.
>>
>> A few of us may offer prayers for your friend and her cat.

Of course we wish the best and purrs for the feline. :-)

MoMo via CatKB.com
May 25th 07, 03:37 PM
Thank you everyone! My friend finally got through to the vet this morning,
and it is the diabetes that is affecting his legs. She was told that he will
need insulin shots everyday for the next three weeks and he should be fine!
She has an appointment to bring him in tomorrow to learn how to give the
shots and pick up the medication.

Thanks again everyone!

Matthew wrote:

>[quoted text clipped - 9 lines]
>>
>> Try rec.pets.cats.anecdolts.
>
>We can do it also here cybercat. You all did it when I thought I was going
>to lose spirit when he had that bad infection. Which now we think was due
>to the pet food recall before it became public knowledge
>Most of us are cat lovers and proud of it. I will gladly off purrs if
>someone needs them \. You know you want to Cyber I can see you smiling from
>here ;-)

MaryL
May 25th 07, 09:36 PM
"MoMo via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> Thank you everyone! My friend finally got through to the vet this
> morning,
> and it is the diabetes that is affecting his legs. She was told that he
> will
> need insulin shots everyday for the next three weeks and he should be
> fine!
> She has an appointment to bring him in tomorrow to learn how to give the
> shots and pick up the medication.
>
> Thanks again everyone!

>>[quoted text clipped - 9 lines]
>>>
>>> Try rec.pets.cats.anecdolts.
>>
>>We can do it also here cybercat. You all did it when I thought I was
>>going
>>to lose spirit when he had that bad infection. Which now we think was due
>>to the pet food recall before it became public knowledge
>>Most of us are cat lovers and proud of it. I will gladly off purrs if
>>someone needs them \. You know you want to Cyber I can see you smiling
>>from
>>here ;-)

I do not understand how any vet could possibly tell someone that a cat "will
need insulin shots everyday for the next three weeks and he should be fine!"
That simply is not true. I speak from personal experience as a diabetic and
also from long discussions with a friend who is an expert in working with
diabetic cats. Insulin for three weeks will not bring the cat's glucose
level down for a long-term solution. Your friend needs to work on an
appropriate diet for her cat (*no dry food,* only *low-carb canned*), and
she will need to monitor his glucose levels by taking readings at home
(which is a *very* easy thing to do). If your friend feeds her cat correctly
and monitors his glucose at home and keeps his numbers as close to the
normal range as possible using the proper type of insulin (Lantus or PZI are
the first and best choices), it is highly likely he will go into remission
at some point. In order to keep him in remission, she will have to continue
with the change in diet and will need to constantly monitor his glucose
levels. Also, it is unlikely that the problem of weak back legs will be
resolved in three weeks. Most diabetic neuropathy takes up to three months
to respond, and that is only provided that the cat gets regulated and his
glucose levels are brought back into the normal range. This is a long-term
process, not a "three week quickie." However, the good news is that cats
respond very well to this regimen and can live completely normal lives.

I have some other information available but do not have time to look it up
right now. If you will e-mail me privately I will be glad to locate it and
send it to you later. Your friend should also join the message board at
felinediabetes.com.

MaryL

MoMo via CatKB.com
May 25th 07, 10:27 PM
Mary, thank you so much for offering more information, unfortunately I do not
know enough about this site to find your personal email. If someone here can
tell me how to do that, I will definitely email you.

As far as a controlled diet, she has been following one since she got him.
He is on special wet food from purina (I don't recall the name, but it is
initials s/something I think), no dry food, and she has to feed him, I
believe, but could be wrong, a quarter of a can every 12 hours, which she
follows to a tee. She even pays a girl in her building to feed him everyday
for his night feeding being that she is not home from work at exactly the 12
hour mark.

I also was surprised that the vet said only three weeks for the shots. Maybe
she misunderstood and it will be for 3 months? Maybe it is not insulin but
something else? I will find out more on Monday when I see her being that she
is bringing him to the vet again tomorrow morning.

MaryL wrote:
>> Thank you everyone! My friend finally got through to the vet this
>> morning,
>[quoted text clipped - 21 lines]
>>>from
>>>here ;-)
>
>I do not understand how any vet could possibly tell someone that a cat "will
>need insulin shots everyday for the next three weeks and he should be fine!"
>That simply is not true. I speak from personal experience as a diabetic and
>also from long discussions with a friend who is an expert in working with
>diabetic cats. Insulin for three weeks will not bring the cat's glucose
>level down for a long-term solution. Your friend needs to work on an
>appropriate diet for her cat (*no dry food,* only *low-carb canned*), and
>she will need to monitor his glucose levels by taking readings at home
>(which is a *very* easy thing to do). If your friend feeds her cat correctly
>and monitors his glucose at home and keeps his numbers as close to the
>normal range as possible using the proper type of insulin (Lantus or PZI are
>the first and best choices), it is highly likely he will go into remission
>at some point. In order to keep him in remission, she will have to continue
>with the change in diet and will need to constantly monitor his glucose
>levels. Also, it is unlikely that the problem of weak back legs will be
>resolved in three weeks. Most diabetic neuropathy takes up to three months
>to respond, and that is only provided that the cat gets regulated and his
>glucose levels are brought back into the normal range. This is a long-term
>process, not a "three week quickie." However, the good news is that cats
>respond very well to this regimen and can live completely normal lives.
>
>I have some other information available but do not have time to look it up
>right now. If you will e-mail me privately I will be glad to locate it and
>send it to you later. Your friend should also join the message board at
>felinediabetes.com.
>
>MaryL

Joe Canuck[_2_]
May 25th 07, 11:43 PM
MoMo via CatKB.com wrote:
> Thank you everyone! My friend finally got through to the vet this morning,
> and it is the diabetes that is affecting his legs. She was told that he will
> need insulin shots everyday for the next three weeks and he should be fine!
> She has an appointment to bring him in tomorrow to learn how to give the
> shots and pick up the medication.
>
> Thanks again everyone!

>> [quoted text clipped - 9 lines]
>>> Try rec.pets.cats.anecdolts.
>> We can do it also here cybercat. You all did it when I thought I was going
>> to lose spirit when he had that bad infection. Which now we think was due
>> to the pet food recall before it became public knowledge
>> Most of us are cat lovers and proud of it. I will gladly off purrs if
>> someone needs them \. You know you want to Cyber I can see you smiling from
>> here ;-)

Good to hear. :-)

MaryL
May 26th 07, 03:02 AM
"MoMo via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> Mary, thank you so much for offering more information, unfortunately I do
> not
> know enough about this site to find your personal email. If someone here
> can
> tell me how to do that, I will definitely email you.

You can reach me at this e-mail address: .

MaryL

cindys
May 27th 07, 05:13 AM
"MoMo via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> Mary, thank you so much for offering more information, unfortunately I do
> not
> know enough about this site to find your personal email. If someone here
> can
> tell me how to do that, I will definitely email you.
>
> As far as a controlled diet, she has been following one since she got him.
> He is on special wet food from purina (I don't recall the name, but it is
> initials s/something I think), no dry food, and she has to feed him, I
> believe, but could be wrong, a quarter of a can every 12 hours, which she
> follows to a tee. She even pays a girl in her building to feed him
> everyday
> for his night feeding being that she is not home from work at exactly the
> 12
> hour mark.
>
> I also was surprised that the vet said only three weeks for the shots.
> Maybe
> she misunderstood and it will be for 3 months? Maybe it is not insulin
> but
> something else? I will find out more on Monday when I see her being that
> she
> is bringing him to the vet again tomorrow morning.
----------
My cat's diabetes went into remission after being treated with Lantus
(glargine) insulin for less than two weeks. That was nearly a year ago. He
has since been maintained on a combination of Purina OM (overweight
management) dry food and canned cat food. Our vet originally wanted him to
eat Purina OM canned cat food as well, but he refused it, so we have had him
on a variety of different canned cat foods (currently we alternate Wellness
with Fancy Feast but in the past he has been on Pet Promise and Friskies
special diet and supermarket brand special diet). The vet told us that the
main thing with regard to the canned food was to choose one that was low in
carbohydrate. Our cat has not required any insulin at all since the two
weeks following his original diagnosis. We test his blood glucose monthly
and it is always less than 100. At the time of diagnosis, his blood glucose
was nearly 600.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.