PDA

View Full Version : Update on cat with possible cancer

Snittens
May 24th 07, 01:24 AM
I posted a while ago about my brother and SIL's cat with possible cancer,
they were debating doing chemo. She had also eaten recalled food. Turns
out, she has melamine poisoning! I want to give a big thank you to the
person that gave me the info on getting tested for that. There isn't a
whole lot known about melamine poisoning, but at least now they know what's
wrong. The results just came back today, before that though, the vets were
still unsure whether or not she had cancer. Her vet at the specialty
hospital has been conferring with vets at Cornell, so she is receiving
expert care.
Chloe is doing pretty good overall, her weight is up and she is still acting
normal. Her calcium levels did come down but were still slightly elevated
at the last check.

Again, thank you for all the information previously. I'm glad that my
brother and sister in law finally have some answers. Hopefully Chloe can get
through this with no long term problems.

-Kelly

Gail
May 24th 07, 01:57 AM
I'm so glad she is doing well!!
Gail
"Snittens" > wrote in message
. ..
>I posted a while ago about my brother and SIL's cat with possible cancer,
>they were debating doing chemo. She had also eaten recalled food. Turns
>out, she has melamine poisoning! I want to give a big thank you to the
>person that gave me the info on getting tested for that. There isn't a
>whole lot known about melamine poisoning, but at least now they know what's
>wrong. The results just came back today, before that though, the vets were
>still unsure whether or not she had cancer. Her vet at the specialty
>hospital has been conferring with vets at Cornell, so she is receiving
>expert care.
> Chloe is doing pretty good overall, her weight is up and she is still
> acting normal. Her calcium levels did come down but were still slightly
> elevated at the last check.
>
> Again, thank you for all the information previously. I'm glad that my
> brother and sister in law finally have some answers. Hopefully Chloe can
> get through this with no long term problems.
>
> -Kelly

cindys
May 25th 07, 03:33 PM
"Snittens" > wrote in message
. ..

>I posted a while ago about my brother and SIL's cat with possible cancer,
>they were debating doing chemo. She had also eaten recalled food. Turns
>out, she has melamine poisoning!

I had a feeling. It was just a tad too coincidental that Chloe (a
four-year-old cat) was showing signs of kidney failure after having eaten
the recalled food and the doctor wanted to treat her for cancer (without any
objective evidence that she had cancer).

>I want to give a big thank you to the person that gave me the info on
>getting tested for that.

It was Bonnie who provided the weblink and phone number for Cornell.

>There isn't a whole lot known about melamine poisoning, but at least now
>they know what's wrong. The results just came back today, before that
>though, the vets were still unsure whether or not she had cancer. Her vet
>at the specialty hospital has been conferring with vets at Cornell, so she
>is receiving expert care.

I am so happy to hear that.

> Chloe is doing pretty good overall, her weight is up and she is still
> acting normal. Her calcium levels did come down but were still slightly
> elevated at the last check.
>
> Again, thank you for all the information previously. I'm glad that my
> brother and sister in law finally have some answers.

A lot of people will just go along with whatever the doctor says. I'm so
glad they didn't let the vet initiate the empiric chemotherapy.

>Hopefully Chloe can get through this with no long term problems.

Purrs for Chloe's complete recovery.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.