PDA

View Full Version : Cat sprayed in floor registers

JulieF.
May 24th 07, 03:09 AM
Greetings, I have a 12-year old tom cat who was neutered at a young
age but has recently started spraying around the house. He has
actually sprayed inside our floor registers, so that when the heat
comes one, the foul odor of cat pee is all through our house . I'm not
sure what to do to get rid of the odor, and was hoping someone in this
group would have suggestions.

Thanks very much,
Julie

Cheryl
May 24th 07, 03:35 AM
On Wed 23 May 2007 10:09:43p, JulieF. wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
oups.com>:

> Greetings, I have a 12-year old tom cat who was neutered at a
> young age but has recently started spraying around the house. He
> has actually sprayed inside our floor registers, so that when
> the heat comes one, the foul odor of cat pee is all through our
> house . I'm not sure what to do to get rid of the odor, and was
> hoping someone in this group would have suggestions.
>
> Thanks very much,
> Julie

Icky problem! If this were me, I'd have kitty checked out by the
vet since this is a new behavior, so it is probably health-related.
Then I'd add another litter box or two depending on the size of
your house, and for the odor, I'd call a professional heating duct
cleaner company and tell them what happened and they'd have the
appropriate cleaning/deodorizing treatment for it. For other pee
"targets" clean thoroughly with enzymic liquid cleaners (sold in
pet stores like Petco) by thoroughly saturating the areas, letting
it dry, then repeat if necessary.

--
Cheryl

Noon Cat Nick
May 24th 07, 04:29 AM
JulieF. wrote:

>Greetings, I have a 12-year old tom cat who was neutered at a young
>age but has recently started spraying around the house. He has
>actually sprayed inside our floor registers, so that when the heat
>comes one, the foul odor of cat pee is all through our house . I'm not
>sure what to do to get rid of the odor, and was hoping someone in this
>group would have suggestions.
>
>Thanks very much,
>Julie

You need to go to a pet supply store (Petco, PetSmart, et al.) and buy
an enzymatic cleaner. Be aware that these cleansers vary widely in
effectiveness. A proper enzymatic cleaner will actually eat the uric
acid crystals. There are also special black lights sold in pet stores
that, in a darkened room, will detect urine deposits that you ordinarily
wouldn't be able to see or smell; this helps ensure that everything is
cleaned up. Clean down into the ducts, and clean the gratings as well.
Note that it might take more than one cleaning to get rid of the smell
entirely. Also make sure your cat is confined to a different area of the
house while you're doing the cleaning. If the urine has gone so far
into the ducts that it's impossible to reach, contact a heating and
cooling professional and ask for his help; if it's down that far, he'll
have to come over and take care of cleaning the ducts from that point on.

Once that's finished, put the grates back on, and spray them and the
area around them with a cat repellent sp that your cat won't want to
come back there. Otherwise he might decide to make a repeat performance
in your air registers.

HTH.

Julie
May 24th 07, 01:41 PM
On May 23, 9:29 pm, Noon Cat Nick >
wrote:
> JulieF. wrote:
> >Greetings, I have a 12-year old tom cat who was neutered at a young
> >age but has recently started spraying around the house. He has
> >actually sprayed inside our floor registers, so that when the heat
> >comes one, the foul odor of cat pee is all through our house . I'm not
> >sure what to do to get rid of the odor, and was hoping someone in this
> >group would have suggestions.
>
> >Thanks very much,
> >Julie
>
> You need to go to a pet supply store (Petco, PetSmart, et al.) and buy
> an enzymatic cleaner. Be aware that these cleansers vary widely in
> effectiveness. A proper enzymatic cleaner will actually eat the uric
> acid crystals. There are also special black lights sold in pet stores
> that, in a darkened room, will detect urine deposits that you ordinarily
> wouldn't be able to see or smell; this helps ensure that everything is
> cleaned up. Clean down into the ducts, and clean the gratings as well.
> Note that it might take more than one cleaning to get rid of the smell
> entirely. Also make sure your cat is confined to a different area of the
> house while you're doing the cleaning. If the urine has gone so far
> into the ducts that it's impossible to reach, contact a heating and
> cooling professional and ask for his help; if it's down that far, he'll
> have to come over and take care of cleaning the ducts from that point on.
>
> Once that's finished, put the grates back on, and spray them and the
> area around them with a cat repellent sp that your cat won't want to
> come back there. Otherwise he might decide to make a repeat performance
> in your air registers.
>
> HTH.

Thanks for the advice! I appreciate it.
Julie