PDA

View Full Version : How do other cat's & Humans cope with the summer heat & climates

sheelagh
May 24th 07, 11:41 AM
We have a large patio door in our living room, which we leave open all
day so that we do get a bit of breeze IF there is any to be had. Other
than that, the rest of the windows in our house have to remain closed
for fear of the cats getting out, & either lost, hurt or never seen
again..
I know that some of you live in far hotter climates than we do in the
summer........

(we get up to around 30-32degrees over here & the humidity is terrible
too.

How does everyone else cope with the heat, & do your cats feel the
same way about the heat as we do, or do they seem unperturbed about it
all? I ask this question because I really don't know. There are some
days when they seem to worship the sun, & others were they sit in
thier housing rather than take in another ray of it @ all...

This is the 1st summer that I have considered air conditioning, for
several reasons. Paul has heart problems that are exacerbated by the
heat, & if the pussy cats feel the same way, it seems sensible to get
a portable conditioning unit.....They are only about 100, so might
well be worth investing it it is for the *right reasons*

I would be interested to hear what other people think regarding cats
and heat?
TIA
S;o)

Joe Canuck[_2_]
May 24th 07, 12:14 PM
sheelagh wrote:
> We have a large patio door in our living room, which we leave open all
> day so that we do get a bit of breeze IF there is any to be had. Other
> than that, the rest of the windows in our house have to remain closed
> for fear of the cats getting out, & either lost, hurt or never seen
> again..
> I know that some of you live in far hotter climates than we do in the
> summer........
>
> (we get up to around 30-32degrees over here & the humidity is terrible
> too.
>
> How does everyone else cope with the heat, & do your cats feel the
> same way about the heat as we do, or do they seem unperturbed about it
> all? I ask this question because I really don't know. There are some
> days when they seem to worship the sun, & others were they sit in
> thier housing rather than take in another ray of it @ all...
>
> This is the 1st summer that I have considered air conditioning, for
> several reasons. Paul has heart problems that are exacerbated by the
> heat, & if the pussy cats feel the same way, it seems sensible to get
> a portable conditioning unit.....They are only about 100, so might
> well be worth investing it it is for the *right reasons*
>
> I would be interested to hear what other people think regarding cats
> and heat?
> TIA
> S;o)

My longhaired Ragdoll does the flop on the floor in the heat... no
panting but obviously not enjoying the temperatures.

Fire up the A/C and within an hour I notice a difference in her behavior
*and* mine. :-D

Wendy
May 24th 07, 12:57 PM
"sheelagh" > wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Window screens so you can open the windows and A/C, not at the same time of
course

MaryL
May 24th 07, 01:38 PM
"sheelagh" > wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

I live in East Texas and cannot imagine living here without air
conditioning. In fact, I keep it fairly cool and also leave the air
conditioner on when I take my summer vacation and leave the cats at home (in
the care of a pet sitter who comes in twice a day).

Concerning how they feel about air conditioning: Years ago, the air
conditioner broke down in an apartment I was renting at the time -- and, of
course, it was the hottest time of the year. I had a big box fan that I
would carry from room to room with me during that time (in the living room
when I was going to be there, in the bedroom at night). I soon noticed that
my cat followed the fan, and he would plop down in front of it as soon as I
set it down. So, he definitely approved of cooler air!

MaryL

Lis
May 24th 07, 02:21 PM
On May 24, 6:41 am, sheelagh > wrote:
> We have a large patio door in our living room, which we leave open all
> day so that we do get a bit of breeze IF there is any to be had. Other
> than that, the rest of the windows in our house have to remain closed
> for fear of the cats getting out, & either lost, hurt or never seen
> again..
> I know that some of you live in far hotter climates than we do in the
> summer........
>
> (we get up to around 30-32degrees over here & the humidity is terrible
> too.
>
> How does everyone else cope with the heat, & do your cats feel the
> same way about the heat as we do, or do they seem unperturbed about it
> all? I ask this question because I really don't know. There are some
> days when they seem to worship the sun, & others were they sit in
> thier housing rather than take in another ray of it @ all...
>
> This is the 1st summer that I have considered air conditioning, for
> several reasons. Paul has heart problems that are exacerbated by the
> heat, & if the pussy cats feel the same way, it seems sensible to get
> a portable conditioning unit.....They are only about 100, so might
> well be worth investing it it is for the *right reasons*

Portable units generally aren't as effective as window units. Look at
window units, see if you can swing one or two of them.

> I would be interested to hear what other people think regarding cats
> and heat?
> TIA
> S;o)

My cats have access to my basement, which averages 15F cooler than the
ground floor. They spend a fair amount of time there during the day in
the summer, but they also spend some time lying in the sun.

I have window A/C units in my bedroom and office, and the cats are
happy to be in the air-conditioned rooms on hot days. Sometimes, when
I've been in the office and haven't turned on the bedroom A/C, my
Maine Coon, Aquavit, has come in and made a racket until I got up and
followed her--to the bedroom A/C. There's no mistaking her intentions--
she wanted to be in the bedroom, and she knew perfectly well the noisy
window thing had the power to make it comfortable in there!

Lis

sheelagh
May 24th 07, 03:06 PM
On 24 May, 12:57, "Wendy" > wrote:
> "sheelagh" > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...
> We have a large patio door in our living room, which we leave open all
> day so that we do get a bit of breeze IF there is any to be had. Other
> than that, the rest of the windows in our house have to remain closed
> for fear of the cats getting out, & either lost, hurt or never seen
> again..
> I know that some of you live in far hotter climates than we do in the
> summer........
>
> (we get up to around 30-32degrees over here & the humidity is terrible
> too.
>
> How does everyone else cope with the heat, & do your cats feel the
> same way about the heat as we do, or do they seem unperturbed about it
> all? I ask this question because I really don't know. There are some
> days when they seem to worship the sun, & others were they sit in
> thier housing rather than take in another ray of it @ all...
>
> This is the 1st summer that I have considered air conditioning, for
> several reasons. Paul has heart problems that are exacerbated by the
> heat, & if the pussy cats feel the same way, it seems sensible to get
> a portable conditioning unit.....They are only about 100, so might
> well be worth investing it it is for the *right reasons*
>
> I would be interested to hear what other people think regarding cats
> and heat?
> TIA
> S;o)
>
> Window screens so you can open the windows and A/C, not at the same time of
> course

> Window screens so you can open the windows and A/C, not at the same time of
> course

Funny/Ironic you should mention the window screens, because that is
exactly what prompted me to write this post.

The night before last, I got up at around 4 am to to let Biffy Birman
into the extension because it is slightly cooler in there. I had to
bring him indoors from his pen, because the silly old Fa*t started
tunneling out of it underneath the bars. I felt it was better to bring
him indoors, than take my chances on him not getting all of the way
out. I thought he would be far safer indoors! Just goes to show how
wrong you can be...

Thinking that he was as safe as he could be anywhere, I let him
through the door, then bleary eyed Sheelagh went back to bed again.
At 8am, I got the alarm call from my son, Luke, to say that everything
had been knocked off the window ledge, & also that Biffy was missing
too...
<headless chicken act, Arghhhh#@?!!>

I went flying around the block to see if I could find him, but there
was nothing. I tried once more and included the meadow for good
measure because that is where we take him when he is on reins, with
the other cats.. but No Biffy to be found anywhere.
I packed the kids off to school, then decided to have a mini cup of
Tea break ..

(us Brit's tut tut!!)

I figured if he had been gone 4 hours, another 10 minutes wasn't going
to make too much difference..Whilst drinking my cuppa, I called him
from the patio doors, for the sheer hell of it, in the non existent
hope that he might hear me....& blow me if he didn't start shouting
back @ me;o) It was more than music to my ears, Lol....

I could hear him, but not quite place him, so I decided to go outside
in the garden to see if I could hear better, & there he was..All 15lb
of him trying to do a balancing act on the top of the dividing
fence(Shhhhhh! He might hear, me, & I don't want to hurt his feelings,
but he did look rather like a hippo doing Ballet on the fence,
ROFLOL)....
This is my ultimate fear. I have been ever so lucky until now, by
constantly saying "shut that door, before the cats get out"... even
next door's parrot can say it now. I just feel that I had a very
narrow lucky escape yesterday, & the very thought of loosing one of
them is enough to make me break out in a cold sweat!!?.....

We have central heating for the winter & they all live on radiator
beds during the winter, so I was thinking that possibly a mobile air
conditioner might be the answer to our problem. I can't say that I'm
not worride about the electric bill, because I am. However, if it
makes every ones life easier then it has to be worth it. Since I gave
up smoking, it is amazing what I can afford to do these days...I can't
figure out why the hell I started in the 1st place really....(still
we all do silly things, don't we?)

I have Big fat Ragdolly's too Joe, as well as Big Birmans and other
chunky cats who all seem to be flagging in the hot weather, & I am all
too aware that it is simply going to get worse, not better until @
least October time.....

I have looked around for screens Wendy, but I must be looking in the
wrong places, because I can't find any around that will make them to
size, to allow us to be able to open the windows when they are
indoors, & it is like living in an oven. I let the kids open their
upstairs, but not any of the ones downstairs apart from the huge patio
one in the living room because that one does have screen cut to size &
flush with the window. I couldn't bare the thought of loosing any of
them, aside from the fact that none of them are really road savvy &
would either be stolen, run over, or hurt like the others have been

Oh Mary, I really do feel for you too. It must be a cracking type of
heat that you must endure? I was brought up in Africa, but it doesn't
mean that I love the heat!!!
I prefer a cold frosty morning any day.....!!

All ideas & 2cents worth appreciated v. much indeed.
Thanks,
S;o)

sheelagh
May 24th 07, 03:40 PM
On 24 May, 14:21, Lis > wrote:
> On May 24, 6:41 am, sheelagh > wrote:
>

> > We have a large patio door in our living room, which we leave open all
> > day so that we do get a bit of breeze IF there is any to be had. Other
> > than that, the rest of the windows in our house have to remain closed
> > for fear of the cats getting out, & either lost, hurt or never seen
> > again..
> > I know that some of you live in far hotter climates than we do in the
> > summer........
>
> > (we get up to around 30-32degrees over here & the humidity is terrible
> > too.
>
> > How does everyone else cope with the heat, & do your cats feel the
> > same way about the heat as we do, or do they seem unperturbed about it
> > all? I ask this question because I really don't know. There are some
> > days when they seem to worship the sun, & others were they sit in
> > thier housing rather than take in another ray of it @ all...
>
> > This is the 1st summer that I have considered air conditioning, for
> > several reasons. Paul has heart problems that are exacerbated by the
> > heat, & if the pussy cats feel the same way, it seems sensible to get
> > a portable conditioning unit.....They are only about 100, so might
> > well be worth investing it it is for the *right reasons*
>
> Portable units generally aren't as effective as window units. Look at
> window units, see if you can swing one or two of them.
>
> > I would be interested to hear what other people think regarding cats
> > and heat?
> > TIA
> > S;o)
>
> My cats have access to my basement, which averages 15F cooler than the
> ground floor. They spend a fair amount of time there during the day in
> the summer, but they also spend some time lying in the sun.
>
> I have window A/C units in my bedroom and office, and the cats are
> happy to be in the air-conditioned rooms on hot days. Sometimes, when
> I've been in the office and haven't turned on the bedroom A/C, my
> Maine Coon, Aquavit, has come in and made a racket until I got up and
> followed her--to the bedroom A/C. There's no mistaking her intentions--
> she wanted to be in the bedroom, and she knew perfectly well the noisy
> window thing had the power to make it comfortable in there!
>
> Lis- Hide quoted text -

A/C is still a very new thing over here in the UK. I don't mean that
there isn't any; I mean that I don't know any person who actually has
A/C fitted in their house. The only places that I can think of that
does have it, are shops and shopping centers ect.(Mall's?)......

As a child, we had it fitted in Africa, so I can remember what a
difference it made, but I don't think I have even actually ever seen
it for sale anywhere, other than the mobile A/C units. You can pick
one of those up @ a DIY store. I would have to google to find out
where the nearest unit fitters are, & what the price difference would
be too. If it is only a matter of a bit more money, then I would opt
for that, but if it was far too pricey, then I would settle for the
mobile one, that can be moved if there was a need to, out of the
living room....

And I would have screens put in upstairs once I can find out where the
heck I can get some made up from someone who knows how to make them to
size. Having said that, we have just had UPVC windows fitted all over
the house! Would this be a problem if we do find someone who could
make them for me? I was wondering how I could fix them in so that they
are secure? Idea's all welcomed, because I have been pondering for
about 4 months on this one & have no real answers yet..
I have even wondered whether it might be an idea to try alt.DIY to see
if someone there could answer this question? I am trying here first,
because we all have cats, so who better to know if this problem could
be skirted around?

I wish we had a basement Lis. Unfortunately, over here that is a very
rare thing to have in the UK actually. Most of the houses over here
are simple 2 story houses. The only places that might have basements
are in places like London, Manchester & the like of those cities, when
the Victorians had the cooks, butler ect, to tend their houses for
them & had several storys to their homes back then. These days, they
have all been split up, & people have made the story's into flats, so
they are all parted now by the vast majority. I have thought about
having laminated flooring put down in the living room, so that it is
slightly cooler for them to flop down on. I just wondered if it is
cold in the winter though?. If it is better than carpet, I would most
definately consider clearing the old carpet out &doing it, because as
soon as the new pens arrive, then I am ripping the living room out &
starting all over again...

Thanks for all of your comments. There is nothing like testimonials to
sell an idea when you know that the person advising you is going on
experience because they have been through it too.
S;o)

Spot
May 24th 07, 03:43 PM
If you have a family member with heart problems the best thing you can do is
get air conditioning. I'm surprised the doctors haven't insisted on it.
My mother has to be in AC when it gets hot or she can't breath and it's a
strain on her heart

I also have a tom cat who has a heart murmer and he is miserable and sick if
it
gets too hot. We keep the AC running in the living room during day and
don't turn it off till 8pm in the summer and it it's one of those days in
the 90's sometimes it stays on at night. He spends practically his whole
summer in that room.

Celeste

"sheelagh" > wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

barb
May 24th 07, 03:56 PM
Window screens are the way to go. Most of us in NY have them. Also, air
conditioning is a great idea. You will love it and so will the cats. They
do not like it too hot. Mine will go out on the deck but remain under the
chaise if it's too hot. Apparently that's cooler than being under the
umbrella.

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,

sheelagh
May 24th 07, 04:08 PM

On 24 May, 15:43, "Spot" > wrote:
> If you have a family member with heart problems the best thing you can do is
> get air conditioning. I'm surprised the doctors haven't insisted on it.
> My mother has to be in AC when it gets hot or she can't breath and it's a
> strain on her heart

Thanks, I thought the same thing too. Unfortunately, the A/C market
over here is a very untapped market as yet. I don't know one single
person that has A/C yet. (so for all you budding A/C fitter's, It time
to come to the UK & tap into that market right now, seriously!!)
I agree with you. I did a test one day in town, without telling Paul
that I was doing it. I pushed him around in the wheelchair & he was
most definately a huge help to him..When we got into A/C area's he was
fine, but the moment we left them, his shortness of breath started
almost simultaneously.. so that answers that question. Thank you
Celeste

The cats are all nodding too by the way, LOL;o)
It is far too hot to endure yet another summer of misery. I think I
might go off for a little google to see if I can find out the
difference between a static unit, or a mobile one, and the benefits
and pros & cons ect.. but most of all, whether we can get someone to
fit it for us

> I also have a tom cat who has a heart murmur and he is miserable and sick if
> it
> gets too hot. We keep the AC running in the living room during day and
> don't turn it off till 8pm in the summer and it it's one of those days in
> the 90's sometimes it stays on at night. He spends practically his whole
> summer in that room.

Poor old Puddings. I understand how they must feel. Most of our cats
are long haired/coated, &you can see that they are miserable in the
heat. They all flop down on the kitchen floor, which is the coolest
place in the house, on the cushion flooring in there, & drink gallons
in really hot/humid weather to make up for the loss of internal
fluids!! Poor Puss cats, they need pampering, honestly, they
Doooo!! >"o"<
S;o)

mlbriggs
May 24th 07, 06:35 PM
On Thu, 24 May 2007 07:38:34 -0500, MaryL wrote:

> they feel about air conditioning: Years ago, the air
> conditioner brok

TuTu doesn't like air conditioning, but she will stretch out in front of
the box fan which I use as an alternative. I just had a new A/C
installed. My old one was 23 years old and I felt it was time. It cost
double what the one did 23 years ago. MLB

Lis
May 24th 07, 07:41 PM
On May 24, 10:40 am, sheelagh > wrote:
> [...]
>
> > Lis- Hide quoted text -

> A/C is still a very new thing over here in the UK. I don't mean that
> there isn't any; I mean that I don't know any person who actually has
> A/C fitted in their house. The only places that I can think of that
> does have it, are shops and shopping centers ect.(Mall's?)......
>
> As a child, we had it fitted in Africa, so I can remember what a
> difference it made, but I don't think I have even actually ever seen
> it for sale anywhere, other than the mobile A/C units. You can pick
> one of those up @ a DIY store. I would have to google to find out
> where the nearest unit fitters are, & what the price difference would
> be too. If it is only a matter of a bit more money, then I would opt
> for that, but if it was far too pricey, then I would settle for the
> mobile one, that can be moved if there was a need to, out of the

Here, the basic choices are window units or central air--much,
probably most, new construction has central air. Older houses, people
buy window units. You CAN have what's essentially a window unit
permanently installed by poking a hole in the wall of the building,
but in most cases that's an awful lot of expense and trouble for
what's still essentially a window unit and not central air. And people
would pay someone to install a window unit only if they have reached
the age/state of health where they and their friends cannot lift it
into place and secure it themselves. I'm most likely going to put mine
in this weekend, with one friend helping.

Portable units exist, but they're substantially less effective than
window units. Not many people buy them unless they're absolutely
strapped for cash and must have something RIGHT NOW or collapse.

I can see that the difference in the presence/absence of air
conditioning is because in the UK summers warm enough to make it
worthwhile were a rarity until recently, while they're SOP for nearly
the whole of North America and have been as long as anyone's been
keeping records. I'm very surprised, though, that it's cropping up
initially as portable units, rather than window units. Is this a
difference in the windows (see discussion of screens below), that
makes window units impractical?

> And I would have screens put in upstairs once I can find out where the
> heck I can get some made up from someone who knows how to make them to
> size. Having said that, we have just had UPVC windows fitted all over
> the house! Would this be a problem if we do find someone who could
> make them for me? I was wondering how I could fix them in so that they
> are secure? Idea's all welcomed, because I have been pondering for
> about 4 months on this one & have no real answers yet..
> I have even wondered whether it might be an idea to try alt.DIY to see
> if someone there could answer this question? I am trying here first,
> because we all have cats, so who better to know if this problem could
> be skirted around?

Here, the idea that you bought and installed/had installed windows
WITH NO SCREENS is just--mind-boggling. I've heard it before, from UK
science fiction fans, but it's still like a glimpse into an alternate
universe. We have flies, and mosquitoes, and, depending on what part
of North America: horseflies, no-see-ums, ticks, etc.... Many of them
bite. We have screens; otherwise we couldn't open the windows in the
summer. I have no idea about how practical it might be to retrofit
screens to windows that weren't intended for them; it's hard to
imagine such a thing.

I remember one long, knock-down-drag-out fight on rec.arts.sf.fandom,
in which the underlying misunderstanding was eventually revealed to be
the conflicting assumptions about window screens: North Americans took
their presence for granted, while the Europeans took their NON-
existence for granted...

> I wish we had a basement Lis. Unfortunately, over here that is a very
> rare thing to have in the UK actually. Most of the houses over here
> are simple 2 story houses. The only places that might have basements
> are in places like London, Manchester & the like of those cities, when
> the Victorians had the cooks, butler ect, to tend their houses for
> them & had several storys to their homes back then. These days, they
> have all been split up, & people have made the story's into flats, so
> they are all parted now by the vast majority. I have thought about
> having laminated flooring put down in the living room, so that it is
> slightly cooler for them to flop down on. I just wondered if it is
> cold in the winter though?. If it is better than carpet, I would most
> definately consider clearing the old carpet out &doing it, because as
> soon as the new pens arrive, then I am ripping the living room out &
> starting all over again...

Yeah, I know basements are much rarer over there than here--for some
values of "here!" I'm in New England, where a basement is a standard
thing; no basement, i.e., "slab construction" exists for some
industrial purposes, but otherwise it's unheard-of to have a building
without a below-ground level. In addition to being the foundation,
it's where the furnace, hot water tank, etc., get stashed, and as
quite a few British science fiction fans have noticed with some
amazement, it's where many US science fiction fans keep libraries of
impressive size.:) In some other parts of the US, though, basements
are at least as rare as in the UK, because the ground is different,
and what counts as sensible construction standards differs greatly. No
basements in New Orleans and surrounding areas, for instance, and much
of the "Tornado Alley" part of the country has no basements, but storm
cellars a short distance _away_ from the house. (Is this relevant to
anything? Probably not. You see what happens when I get started.)

Laminated flooring is cooler, yes, colder in the winter, too, but you
can put down area rugs, and have an excuse for wearing fuzzy slippers.
It's easier on allergies, too, if that's an issue for anyone.

> Thanks for all of your comments. There is nothing like testimonials to
> sell an idea when you know that the person advising you is going on
> experience because they have been through it too.
> S;o)- Hide quoted text -

Always glad to ramble on...:)

Lis

Annie Wxill
May 24th 07, 07:56 PM
"sheelagh" > wrote in message
ups.com...
We have a large patio door in our living room, which we leave open all
day so that we do get a bit of breeze IF there is any to be had. ...How does
everyone else cope with the heat, & do your cats feel the
same way about the heat as we do, or do they seem unperturbed about it
all? ...
TIA
S;o)

Hi Sheelagh,

You can make a breeze by putting a fan in front of the patio door. It will
draw the air in and blow it into the room. You can put additional fans in
other places. Just be sure that the fan has a screen in front of the blades
and the cats should be fine with them.

When it is hot, we see the "flat cat syndrome" where the cats seem to hug
the ground and spread themselves out.

We have air conditioning now. It's expensive, but infinitely more pleasant.

Annie

Spot
May 25th 07, 01:34 AM
We have the old fashion screens that slide side to side in all our windows.
I picked them up at walmart for about $7.00 a piece.

You can buy them online at ace hardware

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1298038

Celeste

"sheelagh" > wrote in message
ups.com...

On 24 May, 15:43, "Spot" > wrote:
> If you have a family member with heart problems the best thing you can do
> is
> get air conditioning. I'm surprised the doctors haven't insisted on it.
> My mother has to be in AC when it gets hot or she can't breath and it's a
> strain on her heart

Thanks, I thought the same thing too. Unfortunately, the A/C market
over here is a very untapped market as yet. I don't know one single
person that has A/C yet. (so for all you budding A/C fitter's, It time
to come to the UK & tap into that market right now, seriously!!)
I agree with you. I did a test one day in town, without telling Paul
that I was doing it. I pushed him around in the wheelchair & he was
most definately a huge help to him..When we got into A/C area's he was
fine, but the moment we left them, his shortness of breath started
almost simultaneously.. so that answers that question. Thank you
Celeste

The cats are all nodding too by the way, LOL;o)
It is far too hot to endure yet another summer of misery. I think I
might go off for a little google to see if I can find out the
difference between a static unit, or a mobile one, and the benefits
and pros & cons ect.. but most of all, whether we can get someone to
fit it for us

> I also have a tom cat who has a heart murmur and he is miserable and sick
> if
> it
> gets too hot. We keep the AC running in the living room during day and
> don't turn it off till 8pm in the summer and it it's one of those days in
> the 90's sometimes it stays on at night. He spends practically his whole
> summer in that room.

Poor old Puddings. I understand how they must feel. Most of our cats
are long haired/coated, &you can see that they are miserable in the
heat. They all flop down on the kitchen floor, which is the coolest
place in the house, on the cushion flooring in there, & drink gallons
in really hot/humid weather to make up for the loss of internal
fluids!! Poor Puss cats, they need pampering, honestly, they
Doooo!! >"o"<
S;o)

James
May 25th 07, 02:42 AM
On May 24, 6:41 am, sheelagh > wrote:
> We have a large patio door in our living room, which we leave open all
> day so that we do get a bit of breeze IF there is any to be had. Other
> than that, the rest of the windows in our house have to remain closed
> for fear of the cats getting out, & either lost, hurt or never seen
> again..
> I know that some of you live in far hotter climates than we do in the
> summer........
>
> (we get up to around 30-32degrees over here & the humidity is terrible
> too.
>
> How does everyone else cope with the heat, & do your cats feel the
> same way about the heat as we do, or do they seem unperturbed about it
> all? I ask this question because I really don't know. There are some
> days when they seem to worship the sun, & others were they sit in
> thier housing rather than take in another ray of it @ all...
>
> This is the 1st summer that I have considered air conditioning, for
> several reasons. Paul has heart problems that are exacerbated by the
> heat, & if the pussy cats feel the same way, it seems sensible to get
> a portable conditioning unit.....They are only about 100, so might
> well be worth investing it it is for the *right reasons*
>
> I would be interested to hear what other people think regarding cats
> and heat?
> TIA
> S;o)

Are you for real? Paul has heart problems but you worry more about
your cats than about Paul?

Getting an A/C unit might be cheap but the cost of electricity to run
it might kill you. UK might be a bit backwards but I can't believe
you guys don't know how to use electric fans.

I'm anti caging but in your case I would suggest you cage your cats at
night and open all the windows to let in the cool night air. Use a
large box fan at an upstair window as an exhaust fan to blow out the
hot air. It also draws in cool air from other open windows and patio
door. When outdoor temperature in late morning gets warmer than
indoor, close all windows and let the cats out..

Sherry
May 25th 07, 03:14 AM
On May 24, 7:38 am, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER>
wrote:
> "sheelagh" > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...
> We have a large patio door in our living room, which we leave open all
> day so that we do get a bit of breeze IF there is any to be had. Other
> than that, the rest of the windows in our house have to remain closed
> for fear of the cats getting out, & either lost, hurt or never seen
> again..
> I know that some of you live in far hotter climates than we do in the
> summer........
>
> (we get up to around 30-32degrees over here & the humidity is terrible
> too.
>
> How does everyone else cope with the heat, & do your cats feel the
> same way about the heat as we do, or do they seem unperturbed about it
> all? I ask this question because I really don't know. There are some
> days when they seem to worship the sun, & others were they sit in
> thier housing rather than take in another ray of it @ all...
>
> This is the 1st summer that I have considered air conditioning, for
> several reasons. Paul has heart problems that are exacerbated by the
> heat, & if the pussy cats feel the same way, it seems sensible to get
> a portable conditioning unit.....They are only about 100, so might
> well be worth investing it it is for the *right reasons*
>
> I would be interested to hear what other people think regarding cats
> and heat?
> TIA
> S;o)
>
> I live in East Texas and cannot imagine living here without air
> conditioning. In fact, I keep it fairly cool and also leave the air
> conditioner on when I take my summer vacation and leave the cats at home (in
> the care of a pet sitter who comes in twice a day).
>
> Concerning how they feel about air conditioning: Years ago, the air
> conditioner broke down in an apartment I was renting at the time -- and, of
> course, it was the hottest time of the year. I had a big box fan that I
> would carry from room to room with me during that time (in the living room
> when I was going to be there, in the bedroom at night). I soon noticed that
> my cat followed the fan, and he would plop down in front of it as soon as I
> set it down. So, he definitely approved of cooler air!
>
> MaryL

Here too. Last year, at this same time, our A/C went out, and the
outside temp was around 97 F.
We *had* to get a window unit, just to survive until a new heat pump
unit could be installed.
The cats were very lethargic, and stayed on the tile floor most of the
time...stretched out
very l-o-o-o-o-ng. I think that's a good indicator whether a cat is
uncomfortabley hot. They seem to stretch
out as long as they can. And yes, the cats do take advantage of fans.
I can't imagine not having A/C.

Sherry

Cheryl
May 25th 07, 04:39 AM
On Thu 24 May 2007 10:14:57p, Sherry wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
oups.com>:

> Here too. Last year, at this same time, our A/C went out, and
> the outside temp was around 97 F.
> We *had* to get a window unit, just to survive until a new heat
> pump unit could be installed.
> The cats were very lethargic, and stayed on the tile floor most
> of the time...stretched out
> very l-o-o-o-o-ng. I think that's a good indicator whether a cat
> is uncomfortabley hot. They seem to stretch
> out as long as they can. And yes, the cats do take advantage of
> fans. I can't imagine not having A/C.

Mine don't like the heat either but they might have to get used to
it, just like me. Next month our energy company is raising the rate
by 50%. The summer is where my heat pump uses the most electricity
so it might end up being set up much higher than what we're used
to.

--
Cheryl

MaryL
May 25th 07, 06:08 AM
"sheelagh" > wrote in message
oups.com...

>Oh Mary, I really do feel for you too. It must be a cracking type of
heat that you must endure? I was brought up in Africa, but it doesn't
mean that I love the heat!!!
I prefer a cold frosty morning any day.....!!

All ideas & 2cents worth appreciated v. much indeed.
Thanks,
S;o)

It appears from your message that I misled you about the weather here. I
meant that I would not want to live here without air conditioning because it
is so hot in the summer. However, the weather for about 3/4 of the year is
marvelous - long, balmy spring with gorgeous flowers, beautiful fall, only a
few days of cold weather in winter. Right now, I have gardenias blooming,
and the scent fills the evening air. And everything *is* air conditioned
here - my house, car, office, all the stores, etc. I keep the temperature at
about 72 degrees, so I certainly have no complaints. I posted some pictures
a few years ago to show friends what this area looks like in the spring. I
never updated them, but you can view them here:
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=4656239&uid=2364916&members=1

This really is a beautiful area and I enjoy all the plants and birds. I have
added a sunroom since these pictures were taken, so I have an ideal
bird-watching location.

MaryL

barb
May 25th 07, 01:09 PM
Wow, Cheryl, Electric is going up 50%? Where do you live?

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,

sheelagh
May 25th 07, 01:52 PM
On 25 May, 13:09, "barb" > wrote:
> Wow, Cheryl, Electric is going up 50%? Where do you live?
>
> --
> Barb
> Of course I don't look busy,
> I did it right the first time.

It is the same in the UK. Our bills have risen by a very similar
amount.
All of our energy bills have doubled!!
(electricity & gas too)
S;o)

sheelagh
May 25th 07, 03:01 PM
On 25 May, 02:42, James > wrote:
> On May 24, 6:41 am, sheelagh > wrote:
>

> > We have a large patio door in our living room, which we leave open all
> > day so that we do get a bit of breeze IF there is any to be had. Other
> > than that, the rest of the windows in our house have to remain closed
> > for fear of the cats getting out, & either lost, hurt or never seen
> > again..
> > I know that some of you live in far hotter climates than we do in the
> > summer........
>
> > (we get up to around 30-32degrees over here & the humidity is terrible
> > too.
>
> > How does everyone else cope with the heat, & do your cats feel the
> > same way about the heat as we do, or do they seem unperturbed about it
> > all? I ask this question because I really don't know. There are some
> > days when they seem to worship the sun, & others were they sit in
> > thier housing rather than take in another ray of it @ all...
>
> > This is the 1st summer that I have considered air conditioning, for
> > several reasons. Paul has heart problems that are exacerbated by the
> > heat, & if the pussy cats feel the same way, it seems sensible to get
> > a portable conditioning unit.....They are only about 100, so might
> > well be worth investing it it is for the *right reasons*
>
> > I would be interested to hear what other people think regarding cats
> > and heat?
> > TIA
> > S;o)
>
> Are you for real? Paul has heart problems but you worry more about
> your cats than about Paul?
>
> Getting an A/C unit might be cheap but the cost of electricity to run
> it might kill you. UK might be a bit backwards but I can't believe
> you guys don't know how to use electric fans.
>
> I'm anti caging but in your case I would suggest you cage your cats at
> night and open all the windows to let in the cool night air. Use a
> large box fan at an upstair window as an exhaust fan to blow out the
> hot air. It also draws in cool air from other open windows and patio
> door. When outdoor temperature in late morning gets warmer than
> indoor, close all windows and let the cats out..- Hide quoted text -

> Are you for real? Paul has heart problems but you worry more about
> your cats than about Paul?

Of course not,Lol...

By the way, Paul thoroughly agree's with you though!

> Getting an A/C unit might be cheap but the cost of electricity to run
> it might kill you. UK might be a bit backwards but I can't believe
> you guys don't know how to use electric fans.

I have a feeling that you could be right about this. We do have
oscillating fans over here, & also overhead fans that you fit into the
light fittings should you prefer that option, but to be perfectly
honest, after going into other people's homes who do have them,
crossed with the memory of air conditioning, I would rather stick to
the air conditioning for "Everyone's sake".

I also think that you are right about having fans upstairs to shift
the stale air out, & putting the cats out @ night so that we can keep
the windows and doors open. They won't like it, but they will get used
to it...
(some of us like to sleep on the bed you see!!;o)
S;o)
Thanks for that

sheelagh
May 25th 07, 03:20 PM
On 24 May, 19:56, "Annie Wxill" > wrote:
> "sheelagh" > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...
> We have a large patio door in our living room, which we leave open all
> day so that we do get a bit of breeze IF there is any to be had. ...How does
> everyone else cope with the heat, & do your cats feel the
> same way about the heat as we do, or do they seem unperturbed about it
> all? ...
> TIA
> S;o)
>
> Hi Sheelagh,
>
> You can make a breeze by putting a fan in front of the patio door. It will
> draw the air in and blow it into the room. You can put additional fans in
> other places. Just be sure that the fan has a screen in front of the blades
> and the cats should be fine with them.
>
> When it is hot, we see the "flat cat syndrome" where the cats seem to hug
> the ground and spread themselves out.
>
> We have air conditioning now. It's expensive, but infinitely more pleasant.
>
> Annie

Same here. Ours simply wilt & flop where they can.

I have been looking @ the cost of air conditioning & the argument of
buy portable, or buy fixed unit, that you either put into the wall, or
fit onto the wall if you wish to.
I was worride that the running was going to be our major problem,
however, having looked @ the prices, I now understand why people seem
to opt for the portable option!!!
An indoor one to fit onto the wall with no need to bash your wall out
costs around 1300 ($2600)!!! A portable one is more in the region of
250-800($500-1600)..
I don't know about the rest of you, but I think that is rather a lot
of money..?!!
It seems that the best ones are the fitted ones, but you can get away
with using a portable one, which we could alternate between the living
room & the bedroom that we have just built for Paul downstairs ( the
extension)...
I know that it is going to cost money to run it, & I sympathise with
Cheryl & her fuel bill hyke too. We have been through the same thing
in the last 12 months too. We are used to paying heavily in the winter
for heat, so I suppose we are going to have to get used to the same
cost in the summer months as well.

Years ago, most people in the UK used to have coal fires, & in the
summer months, you would start a stock pile of coal in for the winter
months in case you had a short week for instance, so I see this as
fairly the same. just another bill that we will get used to in time..
Think how much Paul will love me, & also the pussy cats too...?
It has to be worth it ,LOL!!
S;o)

sheelagh
May 25th 07, 03:51 PM
On 25 May, 04:39, Cheryl > wrote:
> On Thu 24 May 2007 10:14:57p, Sherry wrote in
> rec.pets.cats.health+behav
> oups.com>:
>
> > Here too. Last year, at this same time, our A/C went out, and
> > the outside temp was around 97 F.
> > We *had* to get a window unit, just to survive until a new heat
> > pump unit could be installed.
> > The cats were very lethargic, and stayed on the tile floor most
> > of the time...stretched out
> > very l-o-o-o-o-ng. I think that's a good indicator whether a cat
> > is uncomfortabley hot. They seem to stretch
> > out as long as they can. And yes, the cats do take advantage of
> > fans. I can't imagine not having A/C.
>
> Mine don't like the heat either but they might have to get used to
> it, just like me. Next month our energy company is raising the rate
> by 50%. The summer is where my heat pump uses the most electricity
> so it might end up being set up much higher than what we're used
> to.
>
> --
> Cheryl

This is a quote from the UK to have air conditioning fitted. I think
you would be horrified if you saw it, so I thought I would let you see
the price that we have to pay if you wish to have it over here. The
first quote is for a portable...

http://www.allergymatters.com/acatalog/Delonghi_NF170_air_condtioner.html
The portable option is 250 ($500)

And this one is for a fitted unit

http://www.rapidheatbusters.co.uk/products.asp?template=3&pageNum=1&navState=cooling&fullSpec=yes&pageData=106

1300($2600)
A considerable amount of money really, but I guess that you only have
to pay that once?

I have a feeling that we are going to have to start off on the
portable one first, then start saving towards a better one, & keep the
portable in reserve , or use it in other parts of the house.

The fuel debate is an interesting one though, because I think that we
pay a LOT more for fuel bills over here, than you do in the States. A
regular quarterly electric bill for us would be around 300. How does
that compare with all of you? All of our fuel reserves in the North
Sea are used up now, so we have to import it from all over the world,
but mostly Russia I think.

A litre of petrol is about 1 or so now, making it around 5 ($10) per
gallon.
It is a hell of a lot of money really

sheelagh
May 25th 07, 06:45 PM
On 25 May, 18:11, Cheryl > wrote:
> On Fri 25 May 2007 08:09:24a, barb wrote in
> rec.pets.cats.health+behav >:
>
> > Wow, Cheryl, Electric is going up 50%? Where do you live?
>
> Maryland.
>
> This is why:
>
> "Maryland State legislators originally froze utility rates in 1994
> in hopes of creating a deregulated and competitive energy market
> for customers. However, few competitors ever came even as the
> costs for electricity rose dramatically, and now the freezes have
> ended."
>
> http://www.gazette.net/stories/052407/prinnew135049_32349.shtml
>
> --
> Cheryl

Can I smell an election due anytime now?

More or less the same thing happened in the UK too, but the difference
was that there were plenty of takers, but it was like a Price Fixing
war, but to the benefit of the suppliers not the consumers....

We have also recently had petrol scares (fear of running out), which
prompted every single car user to go out & try & fill thier cars up,
just in case of an emergency..

So, of course, every single garage ran out of petrol on a daily
basis;that & one of the petroleum stores going up in flames too! It
was a Huge explosion & there wasn't even enough crude oil to make
aviation fuel, so even planes were grounded & there was no petrol to
travel..all utility bills have doubled (excluding phone lines) which
have huge competition & are offering free phone calls with Internet
packages..
What a mad world we live in...

It is just as well that we all have cats to keep us sane;o)
S;o)

Sherry
May 26th 07, 12:05 AM
On May 25, 9:51 am, sheelagh > wrote:
> On 25 May, 04:39, Cheryl > wrote:
>

> > On Thu 24 May 2007 10:14:57p, Sherry wrote in
> > rec.pets.cats.health+behav
> > oups.com>:
>
> > > Here too. Last year, at this same time, our A/C went out, and
> > > the outside temp was around 97 F.
> > > We *had* to get a window unit, just to survive until a new heat
> > > pump unit could be installed.
> > > The cats were very lethargic, and stayed on the tile floor most
> > > of the time...stretched out
> > > very l-o-o-o-o-ng. I think that's a good indicator whether a cat
> > > is uncomfortabley hot. They seem to stretch
> > > out as long as they can. And yes, the cats do take advantage of
> > > fans. I can't imagine not having A/C.
>
> > Mine don't like the heat either but they might have to get used to
> > it, just like me. Next month our energy company is raising the rate
> > by 50%. The summer is where my heat pump uses the most electricity
> > so it might end up being set up much higher than what we're used
> > to.
>
> > --
> > Cheryl
>
> This is a quote from the UK to have air conditioning fitted. I think
> you would be horrified if you saw it, so I thought I would let you see
> the price that we have to pay if you wish to have it over here. The
> first quote is for a portable...
>
> http://www.allergymatters.com/acatalog/Delonghi_NF170_air_condtioner....
> The portable option is 250 ($500)
>
> And this one is for a fitted unit
>
> http://www.rapidheatbusters.co.uk/products.asp?template=3&pageNum=1&n....
>
> 1300($2600)
> A considerable amount of money really, but I guess that you only have
> to pay that once?
>
> I have a feeling that we are going to have to start off on the
> portable one first, then start saving towards a better one, & keep the
> portable in reserve , or use it in other parts of the house.
>
> The fuel debate is an interesting one though, because I think that we
> pay a LOT more for fuel bills over here, than you do in the States. A
> regular quarterly electric bill for us would be around 300. How does
> that compare with all of you? All of our fuel reserves in the North
> Sea are used up now, so we have to import it from all over the world,
> but mostly Russia I think.
>
> A litre of petrol is about 1 or so now, making it around 5 ($10) per
> gallon.
> It is a hell of a lot of money really- Hide quoted text -

Oh my. That is outrageous for gasoline. We're having fits over $3.35 a
gallon
right now. What really makes me angry is that as a mineral rights
owner I'm not getting
any more for royalties on the producing wells than I was many years
ago.
Our house is about 2500 s.f., with a heat pump/AC unit that we keep on
72 degrees.
It's total electric, which means everything, even the water pumped out
of the well,
is dependent on electricity. Our bill is about $140 a month. (I'm
sorry, I don't
know how to convert that)

Sherry

Matthew
May 26th 07, 12:22 AM
"Sherry" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> [...]
> Sea are used up now, so we have to import it from all over the world,
> but mostly Russia I think.
>
> A litre of petrol is about 1 or so now, making it around 5 ($10) per
> gallon.
> It is a hell of a lot of money really- Hide quoted text -

Oh my. That is outrageous for gasoline. We're having fits over $3.35 a
gallon
right now. What really makes me angry is that as a mineral rights
owner I'm not getting
any more for royalties on the producing wells than I was many years
ago.
Our house is about 2500 s.f., with a heat pump/AC unit that we keep on
72 degrees.
It's total electric, which means everything, even the water pumped out
of the well,
is dependent on electricity. Our bill is about $140 a month. (I'm

Makes me glad I installed solar power panels and take advantage of the hot
Florida sun. I t ends up the electric company pays us back it is only a
couple dollars a month but after the hurricanes it was worth it. I should
have never wrote that now I just jinxed myself

Sherry
May 26th 07, 01:23 AM
On May 25, 6:22 pm, "Matthew" > wrote:
> [...]
> owner I'm not getting
> any more for royalties on the producing wells than I was many years
> ago.
> Our house is about 2500 s.f., with a heat pump/AC unit that we keep on
> 72 degrees.
> It's total electric, which means everything, even the water pumped out
> of the well,
> is dependent on electricity. Our bill is about $140 a month. (I'm
> sorry, I don't
> know how to convert that)
>
> Sherry
>
> Makes me glad I installed solar power panels and take advantage of the hot
> Florida sun. I t ends up the electric company pays us back it is only a
> couple dollars a month but after the hurricanes it was worth it. I should
> have never wrote that now I just jinxed myself- Hide quoted text -

There's a similar program here, only it uses wind power. That's one
thing Oklahoma
has plenty of. There's hardly a day when the wind isn't blowing at
least 20 mph.

Sherry

Joe Canuck[_2_]
May 26th 07, 01:45 AM
Matthew wrote:
> [...]
> right now. What really makes me angry is that as a mineral rights
> owner I'm not getting
> any more for royalties on the producing wells than I was many years
> ago.
> Our house is about 2500 s.f., with a heat pump/AC unit that we keep on
> 72 degrees.
> It's total electric, which means everything, even the water pumped out
> of the well,
> is dependent on electricity. Our bill is about $140 a month. (I'm
> sorry, I don't
> know how to convert that)
>
> Sherry
>

> Makes me glad I installed solar power panels and take advantage of the hot
> Florida sun. I t ends up the electric company pays us back it is only a
> couple dollars a month but after the hurricanes it was worth it. I should
> have never wrote that now I just jinxed myself

Not to worry, you jinxed yourself long ago. :-D

sheelagh
May 26th 07, 01:59 PM
On 26 May, 00:05, Sherry > wrote:
> On May 25, 9:51 am, sheelagh > wrote:
>

> > On 25 May, 04:39, Cheryl > wrote:
>
> > > On Thu 24 May 2007 10:14:57p, Sherry wrote in
> > > rec.pets.cats.health+behav

> > > Mine don't like the heat either but they might have to get used to
> > > it, just like me. Next month our energy company is raising the rate
> > > by 50%. The summer is where my heat pump uses the most electricity
> > > so it might end up being set up much higher than what we're used
> > > to.
>
> > > --
> > > Cheryl
>
> > This is a quote from the UK to have air conditioning fitted. I think
> > you would be horrified if you saw it, so I thought I would let you see
> > the price that we have to pay if you wish to have it over here. The
> > first quote is for a portable...
>
> >http://www.allergymatters.com/acatalog/Delonghi_NF170_air_condtioner....
> > The portable option is 250 ($500)
>
> > And this one is for a fitted unit
>
> >http://www.rapidheatbusters.co.uk/products.asp?template=3&pageNum=1&n...
>
> > 1300($2600)
> > A considerable amount of money really, but I guess that you only have
> > to pay that once?
>
> > I have a feeling that we are going to have to start off on the
> > portable one first, then start saving towards a better one, & keep the
> > portable in reserve , or use it in other parts of the house.
>
> > The fuel debate is an interesting one though, because I think that we
> > pay a LOT more for fuel bills over here, than you do in the States. A
> > regular quarterly electric bill for us would be around 300. How does
> > that compare with all of you? All of our fuel reserves in the North
> > Sea are used up now, so we have to import it from all over the world,
> > but mostly Russia I think.
>
> > A litre of petrol is about 1 or so now, making it around 5 ($10) per
> > gallon.
> > It is a hell of a lot of money really- Hide quoted text -

> Oh my. That is outrageous for gasoline. We're having fits over $3.35 a
> gallon
> right now. What really makes me angry is that as a mineral rights
> owner I'm not getting
> any more for royalties on the producing wells than I was many years
> ago.
> Our house is about 2500 s.f., with a heat pump/AC unit that we keep on
> 72 degrees.
> It's total electric, which means everything, even the water pumped out
> of the well,
> is dependent on electricity. Our bill is about $140 a month. (I'm
> sorry, I don't
> know how to convert that)
>
> Sherry- Hide quoted text -

OMG!
I go on around $2 to the 1, which makes your petroleum(gasoline)
around 1.70 compared to our 5 per gallon

The electricity converts to around 210 per quarter compared to our
350ish per quarter. Believe me, you are far better off regarding fuel
& utilitie bills, but then again, you produce it, so I suppose it
makes a difference. All of ours is imported from other countries..
There are most definately some downsides living on an island. Anything
that we don't extract or grow has to be imported....

The upside to living on an island with regard to pets, is that we dont
have Rabies (touch wood, Yet!!) I have seen rabies abroad, & it looks
like a terrible disease. I would like to think that we would never get
it, but that would be a naive thing to think. With the new channel
tunnel to France, & people breaking the the law regarding bringing
pets in to the UK, It is more a question of time than hope, sadly.

I think that the reason people break the law is because of our
quarantine laws. If you bring an animal in to the UK from a country
that has Rabies, you are required by law to have your pet quarantined
for 6 months. I imagine that some people simply can't afford the
expense of doing this. It does cost a fortune, & if they can't really
afford to do that, or be parted from their beloved pet, they find ways
to get them into the UK. In the end, someone will import rabies, all
be it inadvertently.

We have Pet passports now over here. With a pet passport, you can take
your pet where you want to really, and as long as you keep all of
thier shots up to date, then you may take your pet where you wish to.
Do you have any similar schemes in the USA?

S;o)

sheelagh
May 26th 07, 02:12 PM
On 26 May, 00:22, "Matthew" > wrote:
> [...]
> owner I'm not getting
> any more for royalties on the producing wells than I was many years
> ago.
> Our house is about 2500 s.f., with a heat pump/AC unit that we keep on
> 72 degrees.
> It's total electric, which means everything, even the water pumped out
> of the well,
> is dependent on electricity. Our bill is about $140 a month. (I'm
> sorry, I don't
> know how to convert that)
>
> Sherry
>
> Makes me glad I installed solar power panels and take advantage of the hot
> Florida sun. I t ends up the electric company pays us back it is only a
> couple dollars a month but after the hurricanes it was worth it. I should
> have never wrote that now I just jinxed myself- Hide quoted text -

What as brilliant Idea! I haven't got a a clue how you would go about
finding them or installing them, but I am sure if I did a google, it
wouldn't take too long to find out. again, I wonder what the initial
expense would be to install them, & also of how much benefit they
would be to us?

with every summer getting hotter and hotter, I think it might be the
way to go over here. I was watching a nature program last night which
is also a interactive program, as well as a documentary too. It stated
that the last year has been the hottest ever recorded since records
began several hundreds of years ago, & the experts predict that it
will only become hotter still. This year our spring started 2weeks
earlier than last year, & 3weeks earlier than the year before. they
took this guide by measuring when the &spotted ladybird was fist seen,
the hawthorn started flowering, butterflies appeared & some birds were
seen nesting too...
Given that, I think solar power has to be the way to go. I am
certainly going to look into it....

S;o)

sheelagh
May 26th 07, 02:16 PM
On 26 May, 01:23, Sherry > wrote:
> On May 25, 6:22 pm, "Matthew" > wrote:
>

> > "Sherry" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...

> > > This is a quote from the UK to have air conditioning fitted. I think
> > > you would be horrified if you saw it, so I thought I would let you see
> > > the price that we have to pay if you wish to have it over here. The
> > > first quote is for a portable...
>
> > >http://www.allergymatters.com/acatalog/Delonghi_NF170_air_condtioner.....
> > > The portable option is 250 ($500)
>
> > > And this one is for a fitted unit
>
> > >http://www.rapidheatbusters.co.uk/products.asp?template=3&pageNum=1&n...
>
> > > 1300($2600)
> > > A considerable amount of money really, but I guess that you only have
> > > to pay that once?
>
> > > I have a feeling that we are going to have to start off on the
> > > portable one first, then start saving towards a better one, & keep the
> > > portable in reserve , or use it in other parts of the house.
>
> > > The fuel debate is an interesting one though, because I think that we
> > > pay a LOT more for fuel bills over here, than you do in the States. A
> > > regular quarterly electric bill for us would be around 300. How does
> > > that compare with all of you? All of our fuel reserves in the North
> > > Sea are used up now, so we have to import it from all over the world,
> > > but mostly Russia I think.
>
> > > A litre of petrol is about 1 or so now, making it around 5 ($10) per
> > > gallon.
> > > It is a hell of a lot of money really- Hide quoted text -

> > Oh my. That is outrageous for gasoline. We're having fits over $3.35 a
> > gallon
> > right now. What really makes me angry is that as a mineral rights
> > owner I'm not getting
> > any more for royalties on the producing wells than I was many years
> > ago.
> > Our house is about 2500 s.f., with a heat pump/AC unit that we keep on
> > 72 degrees.
> > It's total electric, which means everything, even the water pumped out
> > of the well,
> > is dependent on electricity. Our bill is about $140 a month. (I'm
> > sorry, I don't
> > know how to convert that)
>
> > Sherry
>
> > Makes me glad I installed solar power panels and take advantage of the hot
> > Florida sun. I t ends up the electric company pays us back it is only a
> > couple dollars a month but after the hurricanes it was worth it. I should
> > have never wrote that now I just jinxed myself- Hide quoted text -

> There's a similar program here, only it uses wind power. That's one
> thing Oklahoma
> has plenty of. There's hardly a day when the wind isn't blowing at
> least 20 mph.
>
> Sherry- Hide quoted text -

I wish that our own government would think about sustained renewable
energy over here. I worry so much about nuclear power plants, & the
effect the have, as well as the worry of where they dump thier waste,
so much. I know that in our are of the UK, they are starting to
install some wind turbines in the north sea. It will be interesting to
see how this works for us.
S;o)

Matthew
May 26th 07, 04:40 PM
"sheelagh" > wrote in message
ps.com...
On 26 May, 00:22, "Matthew" > wrote:
> [...]

expense would be to install them, & also of how much benefit they
would be to us?

with every summer getting hotter and hotter, I think it might be the
way to go over here. I was watching a nature program last night which
is also a interactive program, as well as a documentary too. It stated
that the last year has been the hottest ever recorded since records
began several hundreds of years ago, & the experts predict that it
will only become hotter still. This year our spring started 2weeks
earlier than last year, & 3weeks earlier than the year before. they
took this guide by measuring when the &spotted ladybird was fist seen,
the hawthorn started flowering, butterflies appeared & some birds were
seen nesting too...
Given that, I think solar power has to be the way to go. I am

Sheelagh it was over $16,000 to have mine installed but they store enough
power to the run everything in the house for 7 to 8 days