PDA

View Full Version : My cat is pooping everywhere.

May 25th 07, 12:22 AM
I have a female six year old himalayan lynx. She has recently
startedgoing #2 in every room in my house. I'm glad she's not
urinating, but am still highly aggrivated. She has not been spayed or
declawed and has never had a litter. Can anyone tell me why this may
be happening or what I can do to fix the problem. If you have any
suggestions, please let me know. Thanks.

Gail
May 25th 07, 12:58 AM
Sounds like a medical problem. She should see a vet.
Gail
> wrote in message
ups.com...
>I have a female six year old himalayan lynx. She has recently
> startedgoing #2 in every room in my house. I'm glad she's not
> urinating, but am still highly aggrivated. She has not been spayed or
> declawed and has never had a litter. Can anyone tell me why this may
> be happening or what I can do to fix the problem. If you have any
> suggestions, please let me know. Thanks.

sheelagh
May 25th 07, 04:24 PM
On 25 May, 00:22, wrote:
> I have a female six year old himalayan lynx. She has recently
> startedgoing #2 in every room in my house. I'm glad she's not
> urinating, but am still highly aggrivated. She has not been spayed or
> declawed and has never had a litter. Can anyone tell me why this may
> be happening or what I can do to fix the problem. If you have any
> suggestions, please let me know. Thanks.

My advice would be the same. It sounds like there is a problem that is
causing her to poop in other places other than her litter. If she used
to be litter trained & has suddenly started doing this, then it might
be hurting her, & she could be associating the pain with the place,
rather than the reason...

Whilst @ the vet surgery, I would also recommend that you ask about
spaying her too. It will make her a generally more cleaner & homely
cat. It doesn't cost that much & she won't end up with unwanted
litters kittens that are difficult to home either....

One other thing. I live in the UK, & we don't have such a thing as
declawing cats over here. I have often heard that people are offered a
double, buy one get the other done free offers in the USA, If you are
offered an option of pay for the spay & the declawing is free, PLEASE
turn it down. De clawing is a terrible thing. They amputate the cats
digits at the first joint. Can you imagine what it must be like to
wake up and find that the end of your fingers are gone? I would prefer
it if they offered what they are doing in real terms. If they offered
you spay your cat & get their digits amputated for free. At least
people would realise what they are being offered.....

I very much hope that your cat is ok, & would be ever so grateful if
you would come back to us and let us know what the problem was, if you
have the time to of course?

Many thanks, & Good Luck,
S;o)

Sherry
May 26th 07, 03:10 AM
On May 24, 6:22 pm, wrote:
> I have a female six year old himalayan lynx. She has recently
> startedgoing #2 in every room in my house. I'm glad she's not
> urinating, but am still highly aggrivated. She has not been spayed or
> declawed and has never had a litter. Can anyone tell me why this may
> be happening or what I can do to fix the problem. If you have any
> suggestions, please let me know. Thanks.

Assuming there isn't a medical problem there are a couple of reason a
cat
will defecate outside the box that come to mind immediately:
The first being obvious, that the box isn't clean enough to suit her.
Some cats are
very picky that way.
The other one, that we experienced with a cat, is that in some way
she's being
disturbed while using the box. If other cats are bothering her, she
may not
feel safe using the box. This may be true if she's pooping in
sheltered places,
like in the bathtub, or under a table, or behind furniture.

Sherry

Lis
May 27th 07, 04:25 PM
On May 25, 11:24 am, sheelagh > wrote:

<snip>

> One other thing. I live in the UK, & we don't have such a thing as
> declawing cats over here. I have often heard that people are offered a
> double, buy one get the other done free offers in the USA, If you are
> offered an option of pay for the spay & the declawing is free, PLEASE
> turn it down. De clawing is a terrible thing. They amputate the cats
> digits at the first joint. Can you imagine what it must be like to
> wake up and find that the end of your fingers are gone? I would prefer
> it if they offered what they are doing in real terms. If they offered
> you spay your cat & get their digits amputated for free. At least
> people would realise what they are being offered.....

Yes, declawing is terrible. No, vets in the US are not routinely
offering it as a free extra. People are not being offered this "deal."

I have never heard of this. Honestly. Declawing is generally strongly
discouraged. Some vets are more willing to do it than others, and
probably most will do it under SOME circumstances, they DON'T actively
encourage it. And the idea of a vet doing the surgery for free--the
mind boggles.

What I can imagine happening, is someone bringing in their unspayed
female to be declawed, and the vet reluctantly agreeing, but ONLY on
condition that the owner agrees to their spaying the animal at the
same time.

Someone else posted something along these lines recently, about a
letter to the editor in some UK paper, claiming that in the US the law
requires all cats to be declawed to protect the songbirds. Where's it
coming from? Anyone have a clue about that?

Lis

Sherry
May 27th 07, 05:03 PM
On May 25, 10:24 am, sheelagh > wrote:

> One other thing. I live in the UK, & we don't have such a thing as
> declawing cats over here. I have often heard that people are offered a
> double, buy one get the other done free offers in the USA, If you are
> offered an option of pay for the spay & the declawing is free, PLEASE
> turn it down. De clawing is a terrible thing. They amputate the cats
> digits at the first joint. Can you imagine what it must be like to
> wake up and find that the end of your fingers are gone? I would prefer
> it if they offered what they are doing in real terms. If they offered
> you spay your cat & get their digits amputated for free. At least
> people would realise what they are being offered.....
>
> I very much hope that your cat is ok, & would be ever so grateful if
> you would come back to us and let us know what the problem was, if you
> have the time to of course?
>
> Many thanks, & Good Luck,
> S;o)

Where specifically did you hear this? I'd seriously doubt the validity
of that
statement. Vets don't do declaws for free, period. Vets in particular
know it's
an unnecessary surgery--but it's a source of revenue for them. Take
away
the revenue, and they're not going to do it.
I *have* heard of vets who offer a "package deal"--vaccinations, spay/
declaw
priced as a package. But even that, I only saw reference to on
newsgroups.
I know a lot of vets, and none of them ''offer" declaw. You have to
ask for it,
and all the vets in this county refuse to perform four-paw declaws.
I just felt the need to respond to this, mostly because I get the
impression
that some folks outside the US have this impression that all the cats
here
are declawed, when in fact, it's pretty rare in this particular part
of the country.
Even nationwide, I'd guess there are *far* more owned cats fully
clawed than not.

Sherry