PDA

View Full Version : Geeting Rid of Fleas

David Mooney
May 29th 07, 12:56 AM
My 9 week old cat has fleas. This morning as I was brushing her fur I saw
several of those bloodsuckers. Problem: My cat is only 9 weeks old and
thestuff I bought from Wal_Mart on Saturday is fit ony for a cat 12 or more
weeks older.

what do I do in the meantime?

Thanks,
David L

Lynne
May 29th 07, 01:38 AM
on Mon, 28 May 2007 23:56:00 GMT, "David Mooney" >
wrote:

> My 9 week old cat has fleas. This morning as I was brushing her fur I
> saw several of those bloodsuckers. Problem: My cat is only 9 weeks old
> and thestuff I bought from Wal_Mart on Saturday is fit ony for a cat
> 12 or more weeks older.
>
> what do I do in the meantime?

What did you buy at Walmart? A lot of the stuff you can buy there for
fleas is not safe and/or effective. I recommend that you return what you
got at Walmart and buy some Frontline Plus. You can get this either at
your vet's office or at a Pet Supply store. It's safe for kittens 8 weeks
and older, and very effective. Well worth the cost.

Just buy a 3 dose pack (or whatever is smallest) and then later order it
on-line for less money. I use http://www.xfleas.com and haven't seen
better pricing anywhere else, but you may still want to shop around, of
course. Just be careful that you get guaranteed US made product--there are
a lot of counterfeits out there.

--
Lynne

Rene S.
May 29th 07, 04:04 PM
David Mooney wrote:
> My 9 week old cat has fleas. This morning as I was brushing her fur I saw
> several of those bloodsuckers. Problem: My cat is only 9 weeks old and
> thestuff I bought from Wal_Mart on Saturday is fit ony for a cat 12 or more
> weeks older.
>
> what do I do in the meantime?
>
> Thanks,
> David L

Please don't use the flea stuff from Wal-mart. Many of those store
brands aren't safe for cats, no matter the age. You can use a flea
comb to get rid of the fleas. Have a dish of soapy water nearby to put
the fleas in as you are combing. Vacuum everywhere regularly, and
change the bag/cup every time you use it (so the fleas don't stay
inside and breed). Wash her (and your) bedding in hot water.

David Mooney
May 29th 07, 05:33 PM
"Rene S." > wrote in message
oups.com...

> David Mooney wrote:
>> My 9 week old cat has fleas. This morning as I was brushing her fur I saw
>> several of those bloodsuckers. Problem: My cat is only 9 weeks old and
>> thestuff I bought from Wal_Mart on Saturday is fit ony for a cat 12 or
>> more
>> weeks older.
>>
>> what do I do in the meantime?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> David L
>
> Please don't use the flea stuff from Wal-mart. Many of those store
> brands aren't safe for cats, no matter the age. You can use a flea
> comb to get rid of the fleas. Have a dish of soapy water nearby to put
> the fleas in as you are combing. Vacuum everywhere regularly, and
> change the bag/cup every time you use it (so the fleas don't stay
> inside and breed). Wash her (and your) bedding in hot water.

Thanks Rene for the information. I havee heard that Borax sprinkled on the
carpet will kill fleas. I bought a box off Borax at Wal_Mart the other day
but haven't used it yet. Does Borax really kill fleas in the carpet?

Thanks,
David L

---MIKE---
May 29th 07, 07:03 PM
In many cases just treating the cat with Frontline will take care of the
problem. Any fleas elsewhere in the house will try to get on the cat
for blood and die.

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Lynne
May 29th 07, 07:53 PM
on Tue, 29 May 2007 18:03:15 GMT, (---MIKE---)
wrote:

> In many cases just treating the cat with Frontline will take care of the
> problem. Any fleas elsewhere in the house will try to get on the cat
> for blood and die.

Yep. Frontline Plus wipes 'em all out IME.

As to the Borax, it is not safe around cats or kittens (or dogs, etc.).
Please don't use it unless you are planning to remove all pets (and
children) and will vacuum it all up before letting the critters back into
the areas where it is used. Personally, I see no need to use it if you use
Frontline.

--
Lynne

Rene S.
May 29th 07, 08:12 PM
> Thanks Rene for the information. I havee heard that Borax sprinkled on the
> carpet will kill fleas. I bought a box off Borax at Wal_Mart the other day
> but haven't used it yet. Does Borax really kill fleas in the carpet?

To echo what Lynn said, I wouldn't use the borax either. It might get
on your kitten's paws and she might lick it off/eat it.

Looks like you'll be returning a few things to Wal-mart. :)

Rene

David Mooney
May 29th 07, 08:37 PM
"Rene S." > wrote in message
oups.com...
>> Thanks Rene for the information. I havee heard that Borax sprinkled on
>> the
>> carpet will kill fleas. I bought a box off Borax at Wal_Mart the other
>> day
>> but haven't used it yet. Does Borax really kill fleas in the carpet?
>>

> To echo what Lynn said, I wouldn't use the borax either. It might get
> on your kitten's paws and she might lick it off/eat it.
>
> Looks like you'll be returning a few things to Wal-mart. :)
>
> Rene

Yes, I will have to return these items if I can (I do not have the receipt).
Still, the items didn't cost that much so I can use the Borax as a deoderant
and will give someone else the Seargent flea killer. I used Sergeant a year
ago and it seemed to work. Of course I also used bombs and rugspray. I
killed the population by September and haven't had a flea trouble with my
other 3 cats so far this year until I brought in my new companion. I think
he got his fleas when he was with my sister because the infestation is very
high and Jacob is 9-10 weeks old. I need to beat this thing early in the war
or my other 3 cats will get infested and I will have to get them
disinfected.

Years ago my mother used a flea killer that killed the fleas with a
combination of water and something else (she was disinfesting the dogs).
Cats don''t like water though and when I find out what it is I may try to
use that as well. But so far it seems Frontline and Advantage are the most
popular brands, even over Seargeant. I noticed Wal-Mart still sells HARTZ
and I don't understand why.

I have been on this NG only a short while and I am learning more about cats
every day.

Thanks,
David M

Rene S.
May 29th 07, 09:47 PM
> Years ago my mother used a flea killer that killed the fleas with a
> combination of water and something else (she was disinfesting the dogs).
> Cats don''t like water though and when I find out what it is I may try to
> use that as well. But so far it seems Frontline and Advantage are the most
> popular brands, even over Seargeant. I noticed Wal-Mart still sells HARTZ
> and I don't understand why.

Frontline and Advantage are considered "prescriptions" and can't be
bought in discount stores. You used to have to go to your vet's
office to get it, though now, of course, you can also buy online or
through mail order. This is where the "other" brands come in to
supposedly fill the gap.

Welcome to the group, BTW! I've been reading this group for years, but
am still learning new things. :)

Lynne
May 29th 07, 10:12 PM
on Tue, 29 May 2007 20:47:59 GMT, "Rene S." >
wrote:

> Frontline and Advantage are considered "prescriptions" and can't be
> bought in discount stores. You used to have to go to your vet's
> office to get it, though now, of course, you can also buy online or
> through mail order. This is where the "other" brands come in to
> supposedly fill the gap.

Frontline doesn't require a prescription, FYI.

--
Lynne

Patty
May 29th 07, 11:48 PM
On 29 May 2007 13:47:59 -0700, Rene S. wrote:

>> Years ago my mother used a flea killer that killed the fleas with a
>> combination of water and something else (she was disinfesting the dogs).
>> Cats don''t like water though and when I find out what it is I may try to
>> use that as well. But so far it seems Frontline and Advantage are the most
>> popular brands, even over Seargeant. I noticed Wal-Mart still sells HARTZ
>> and I don't understand why.
>
> Frontline and Advantage are considered "prescriptions" and can't be
> bought in discount stores. You used to have to go to your vet's
> office to get it, though now, of course, you can also buy online or
> through mail order. This is where the "other" brands come in to
> supposedly fill the gap.
>
> Welcome to the group, BTW! I've been reading this group for years, but
> am still learning new things. :)

I believe you can buy Frontline and Advantage at pet stores. Last year I
bought Frontline at PetsPlus.

Patty

Rene S.
May 30th 07, 04:11 PM

> I believe you can buy Frontline and Advantage at pet stores. Last year I
> bought Frontline at PetsPlus.
>
> Patty

You are right. I stand corrected.

Rene