PDA

View Full Version : Unbelievable! -- a *rescue group* that declaws *all* cats before adoption

MaryL
May 31st 07, 05:40 AM
Take a look at this article. It's on a page with a big advertisement at the
top, but just scroll down a short ways and you will find an article entitled
"To Declaw or Not to Declaw?" This is the opening paragraph: "To date, we
have not received any negative feedback regarding our policy of declawing
the cats we've rescued. However, in order to be proactive, we would like to
state our position clearly and honestly." They have *commited* this
procedure (which is really amputation) on kittens as young as 4-6 weeks old.
This means that they have routinely amputated without even waiting to see if
the cat will create any "trouble" or can be trained to a scratching post
("trouble" which in my opinion does not justify declawing, but that is the
"justification" that is often used).

Well, I think it's time that they should receive some negative feedback.
Many of their statements are simply false and misleading (possibly through
lack of knowledge rather than by intent, but still false). For example, the
article talks about clawed cats being discarded. Actually, people are
likely to discard cats due to scratching, biting, and urinating outside the
litter box -- and there is a much higher incidence of that behavior among
declawed cats and among cats with claws. Animal shelters tend to have a
*large* population of declawed cats. This is their e-mail address:

Here's the article:
http://www.doodoovoodoo.com/to_declaw_or_not.htm

MaryL

-L.
May 31st 07, 10:26 AM
MaryL wrote:
> Take a look at this article. It's on a page with a big advertisement at the
> top, but just scroll down a short ways and you will find an article entitled
> "To Declaw or Not to Declaw?" This is the opening paragraph: "To date, we
> have not received any negative feedback regarding our policy of declawing
> the cats we've rescued. However, in order to be proactive, we would like to
> state our position clearly and honestly." They have *commited* this
> procedure (which is really amputation) on kittens as young as 4-6 weeks old.
> This means that they have routinely amputated without even waiting to see if
> the cat will create any "trouble" or can be trained to a scratching post
> ("trouble" which in my opinion does not justify declawing, but that is the
> "justification" that is often used).
>
> Well, I think it's time that they should receive some negative feedback.
> Many of their statements are simply false and misleading (possibly through
> lack of knowledge rather than by intent, but still false). For example, the
> article talks about clawed cats being discarded. Actually, people are
> likely to discard cats due to scratching, biting, and urinating outside the
> litter box -- and there is a much higher incidence of that behavior among
> declawed cats and among cats with claws. Animal shelters tend to have a
> *large* population of declawed cats. This is their e-mail address:
>

> Here's the article:
> http://www.doodoovoodoo.com/to_declaw_or_not.htm
>
> MaryL

Sickening. What assholes.
For some reason I have a vague idea that I might know these people
from one of my old haunts....

-L.

sheelagh
May 31st 07, 02:57 PM
On 31 May, 05:40, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER>
wrote:
> Take a look at this article. It's on a page with a big advertisement at the
> top, but just scroll down a short ways and you will find an article entitled
> "To Declaw or Not to Declaw?" This is the opening paragraph: "To date, we
> have not received any negative feedback regarding our policy of declawing
> the cats we've rescued. However, in order to be proactive, we would like to
> state our position clearly and honestly." They have *commited* this
> procedure (which is really amputation) on kittens as young as 4-6 weeks old.
> This means that they have routinely amputated without even waiting to see if
> the cat will create any "trouble" or can be trained to a scratching post
> ("trouble" which in my opinion does not justify declawing, but that is the
> "justification" that is often used).
>
> Well, I think it's time that they should receive some negative feedback.
> Many of their statements are simply false and misleading (possibly through
> lack of knowledge rather than by intent, but still false). For example, the
> article talks about clawed cats being discarded. Actually, people are
> likely to discard cats due to scratching, biting, and urinating outside the
> litter box -- and there is a much higher incidence of that behavior among
> declawed cats and among cats with claws. Animal shelters tend to have a
> *large* population of declawed cats. This is their e-mail address:
>

> Here's the article:http://www.doodoovoodoo.com/to_declaw_or_not.htm
>
> MaryL

Despicable Mary.

Thank you for bringing it to our attention...
They will be hearing from as far away as the UK about this one, & I
assure you, you won't find it in their testimonials
S;o)

MaryL
June 13th 07, 01:46 AM
> Take a look at this article. It's on a page with a big advertisement at
> the top, but just scroll down a short ways and you will find an article
> entitled "To Declaw or Not to Declaw?" This is the opening paragraph:
> "To date, we have not received any negative feedback regarding our policy
> of declawing the cats we've rescued. However, in order to be proactive,
> we would like to state our position clearly and honestly." They have
> *commited* this procedure (which is really amputation) on kittens as young
> as 4-6 weeks old. This means that they have routinely amputated without
> even waiting to see if the cat will create any "trouble" or can be trained
> to a scratching post ("trouble" which in my opinion does not justify
> declawing, but that is the "justification" that is often used).
>
> Well, I think it's time that they should receive some negative feedback.
> Many of their statements are simply false and misleading (possibly through
> lack of knowledge rather than by intent, but still false). For example,
> the article talks about clawed cats being discarded. Actually, people are
> likely to discard cats due to scratching, biting, and urinating outside
> the litter box -- and there is a much higher incidence of that behavior
> among declawed cats and among cats with claws. Animal shelters tend to
> have a *large* population of declawed cats. This is their e-mail address:
>

> Here's the article:
> http://www.doodoovoodoo.com/to_declaw_or_not.htm
>
> MaryL

I just received a message from a friend who wrote to them. Here is what she
wrote:
" I have had several cats in my lifetime, and I have NEVER had any trouble
getting them to use the scratching post. You just have to take the time to
entice them with catnip, showing them, etc. Declawing is terribly inhumane
and unnecessary. Please reconsider your position on this procedure. Thank
you."

And here was their response:
"NO. And please don't respond to me."

MaryL

-L.
June 13th 07, 03:46 AM
MaryL wrote:

> I just received a message from a friend who wrote to them. Here is what she
> wrote:
> " I have had several cats in my lifetime, and I have NEVER had any trouble
> getting them to use the scratching post. You just have to take the time to
> entice them with catnip, showing them, etc. Declawing is terribly inhumane
> and unnecessary. Please reconsider your position on this procedure. Thank
> you."
>
> And here was their response:
> "NO. And please don't respond to me."
>
> MaryL

What complete assholes. I think the media should be called.

-L.

June 13th 07, 07:56 AM
On Jun 12, 7:46 pm, "-L." > wrote:
> MaryL wrote:
>
> > I just received a message from a friend who wrote to them. Here is what she
> > wrote:
> > " I have had several cats in my lifetime, and I have NEVER had any trouble
> > getting them to use the scratching post. You just have to take the time to
> > entice them with catnip, showing them, etc. Declawing is terribly inhumane
> > and unnecessary. Please reconsider your position on this procedure. Thank
> > you."
>
> > And here was their response:
> > "NO. And please don't respond to me."
>
> > MaryL
>
> What complete assholes. I think the media should be called.
>
> -L.

I sent my compaint email. Any idea what else we can do? This is
sickening.

The shelters around here make you sign a contract that you WON'T
declaw. I wonder how many people donate to them, just assuming they
are like most shelters.

Sherry
June 13th 07, 04:36 PM
On May 30, 11:40 pm, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER>
wrote:
> Take a look at this article. It's on a page with a big advertisement at the
> top, but just scroll down a short ways and you will find an article entitled
> "To Declaw or Not to Declaw?" This is the opening paragraph: "To date, we
> have not received any negative feedback regarding our policy of declawing
> the cats we've rescued. However, in order to be proactive, we would like to
> state our position clearly and honestly." They have *commited* this
> procedure (which is really amputation) on kittens as young as 4-6 weeks old.
> This means that they have routinely amputated without even waiting to see if
> the cat will create any "trouble" or can be trained to a scratching post
> ("trouble" which in my opinion does not justify declawing, but that is the
> "justification" that is often used).
>
> Well, I think it's time that they should receive some negative feedback.
> Many of their statements are simply false and misleading (possibly through
> lack of knowledge rather than by intent, but still false). For example, the
> article talks about clawed cats being discarded. Actually, people are
> likely to discard cats due to scratching, biting, and urinating outside the
> litter box -- and there is a much higher incidence of that behavior among
> declawed cats and among cats with claws. Animal shelters tend to have a
> *large* population of declawed cats. This is their e-mail address:
>

> Here's the article:http://www.doodoovoodoo.com/to_declaw_or_not.htm
>
> MaryL

Mary, I just wanted to expand on your e-mail & note that the full e-
mail address
doesn't show up on my google post. Just to make it easier for folks to
e-mail,
the full address is:

that would be eric at doodoovoodoo dot com

Please, please, people, let's come together on this. Posters and
lurkers alike. I would so
love to see these people at least get enough e-mails they'll stop and
think about that
arrogant letter. They aren't veterinary professionals. They are
obviously not affiliated with
a respected shelter, or they wouldn't be promoting declaw. They're
just *very* misinformed
people hawking their products on the internet, as far as I'm
concerned.
Thanks,
Sherry

Sherry
June 13th 07, 05:28 PM
On Jun 13, 10:36 am, Sherry > wrote:
> On May 30, 11:40 pm, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER>
> wrote:
>

> > Take a look at this article. It's on a page with a big advertisement at the
> > top, but just scroll down a short ways and you will find an article entitled
> > "To Declaw or Not to Declaw?" This is the opening paragraph: "To date, we
> > have not received any negative feedback regarding our policy of declawing
> > the cats we've rescued. However, in order to be proactive, we would like to
> > state our position clearly and honestly." They have *commited* this
> > procedure (which is really amputation) on kittens as young as 4-6 weeks old.
> > This means that they have routinely amputated without even waiting to see if
> > the cat will create any "trouble" or can be trained to a scratching post
> > ("trouble" which in my opinion does not justify declawing, but that is the
> > "justification" that is often used).
>
> > Well, I think it's time that they should receive some negative feedback.
> > Many of their statements are simply false and misleading (possibly through
> > lack of knowledge rather than by intent, but still false). For example, the
> > article talks about clawed cats being discarded. Actually, people are
> > likely to discard cats due to scratching, biting, and urinating outside the
> > litter box -- and there is a much higher incidence of that behavior among
> > declawed cats and among cats with claws. Animal shelters tend to have a
> > *large* population of declawed cats. This is their e-mail address:
> >

> > Here's the article:http://www.doodoovoodoo.com/to_declaw_or_not.htm
>
> > MaryL
>
> Mary, I just wanted to expand on your e-mail & note that the full e-
> mail address
> doesn't show up on my google post. Just to make it easier for folks to
> e-mail,
> the full address is:
>

> that would be eric at doodoovoodoo dot com
>
> Please, please, people, let's come together on this. Posters and
> lurkers alike. I would so
> love to see these people at least get enough e-mails they'll stop and
> think about that
> arrogant letter. They aren't veterinary professionals. They are
> obviously not affiliated with
> a respected shelter, or they wouldn't be promoting declaw. They're
> just *very* misinformed
> people hawking their products on the internet, as far as I'm
> concerned.
> Thanks,
> Sherry- Hide quoted text -

Well, scratch that post.
The note that I sent to eric at doodoovoodoo dot come bounced back.
Did yours, Mary?
What did I do wrong?
Sherry

MaryL
June 13th 07, 09:30 PM
"Sherry" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> [...]
>> doesn't show up on my google post. Just to make it easier for folks to
>> e-mail,
>> the full address is:
>>

>> that would be eric at doodoovoodoo dot com
>>
>> Please, please, people, let's come together on this. Posters and
>> lurkers alike. I would so
>> love to see these people at least get enough e-mails they'll stop and
>> think about that
>> arrogant letter. They aren't veterinary professionals. They are
>> obviously not affiliated with
>> a respected shelter, or they wouldn't be promoting declaw. They're
>> just *very* misinformed
>> people hawking their products on the internet, as far as I'm
>> concerned.
>> Thanks,
>> Sherry- Hide quoted text -

> Well, scratch that post.
> The note that I sent to eric at doodoovoodoo dot come bounced back.

Sherry,

I sent a message to this address: , and it did not
bounce. It looks like the same address you used except that you printed
"dot come" instead of "dot com." Is it possible that you also entered the
extra character when you sent your message? Their web site also includes
this phone number: 317-356-6733.

MaryL

MaryL
June 13th 07, 09:45 PM
"Sherry" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> [...]
>> doesn't show up on my google post. Just to make it easier for folks to
>> e-mail,
>> the full address is:
>>

>> that would be eric at doodoovoodoo dot com
>>
>> Please, please, people, let's come together on this. Posters and
>> lurkers alike. I would so
>> love to see these people at least get enough e-mails they'll stop and
>> think about that
>> arrogant letter. They aren't veterinary professionals. They are
>> obviously not affiliated with
>> a respected shelter, or they wouldn't be promoting declaw. They're
>> just *very* misinformed
>> people hawking their products on the internet, as far as I'm
>> concerned.
>> Thanks,
>> Sherry- Hide quoted text -

> Well, scratch that post.
> The note that I sent to eric at doodoovoodoo dot come bounced back.

I sent another message after I saw that yours bounced. I did get a reply,
so I assume you may have entered a typo or there was some problem in
transmission. Here is the reply I received from him:

Mary,

You and I aren't going to agree on this, but I give you points for writing a
more rational letter than some of the other people who've contacted me of
late. I assume you're all from the same group/forum.

Eric

June 14th 07, 09:29 AM
On Jun 13, 1:45 pm, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER>
wrote:
> "Sherry" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>

> > On Jun 13, 10:36 am, Sherry > wrote:

> >> Mary, I just wanted to expand on your e-mail & note that the full e-
> >> mail address
> >> doesn't show up on my google post. Just to make it easier for folks to
> >> e-mail,
> >> the full address is:
> >>

> >> that would be eric at doodoovoodoo dot com
>
> >> Please, please, people, let's come together on this. Posters and
> >> lurkers alike. I would so
> >> love to see these people at least get enough e-mails they'll stop and
> >> think about that
> >> arrogant letter. They aren't veterinary professionals. They are
> >> obviously not affiliated with
> >> a respected shelter, or they wouldn't be promoting declaw. They're
> >> just *very* misinformed
> >> people hawking their products on the internet, as far as I'm
> >> concerned.
> >> Thanks,
> >> Sherry- Hide quoted text -

> > Well, scratch that post.
> > The note that I sent to eric at doodoovoodoo dot come bounced back.
> > Did yours, Mary?
> > What did I do wrong?
> > Sherry
>
> I sent another message after I saw that yours bounced. I did get a reply,
> so I assume you may have entered a typo or there was some problem in
> transmission. Here is the reply I received from him:
>
> Mary,
>
> You and I aren't going to agree on this, but I give you points for writing a
> more rational letter than some of the other people who've contacted me of
> late. I assume you're all from the same group/forum.
>
> Eric

I did not get a reply, but I did tell him his statement about no
negative response was obviously wrong since I had already heard of
other people sending in letters. I also suggested that he may be
receiving some negative media attention soon. Not sure if anything can
be done, but I figured it might worry him a bit.

Is there a way we can turn them into real agencies who can do
something more, such as negative media attention?