PDA

View Full Version : What should I do when my cat does this?

Garret Swayne
June 1st 07, 03:14 PM
You know how sometimes cats get into a respiratory spasming thing like
they're trying to clear something from their throat (a hairball or
something??) I don't know what to call it. It's very rhythmic, and it
appears to be involuntary, like they're choking on something and they're
trying to expel it. Every cat I've ever had goes through this from time to
time. They're obviously in distress. I want to help and I'm thinking
maybe I should slap them on the back to help "dislodge" anything that's
stuck there, but I don't know if that would help or hurt. I'd love to know
what's going on and what I can do about it, but it never occurred to me
until now to go online to a cat interest group and ask!
So I'm asking. Does anyone know what that spasming is called, what causes
it, and what we humans can do to help our little furry friends get over
their episode?
-Garret Swayne
garret at garretswayne dot com

Ivor Jones
June 1st 07, 04:00 PM
"Garret Swayne" > wrote in message
hlink.net
> You know how sometimes cats get into a respiratory
> spasming thing like they're trying to clear something
> from their throat (a hairball or something??) I don't
> know what to call it. It's very rhythmic, and it appears
> to be involuntary, like they're choking on something and
> they're trying to expel it. Every cat I've ever had goes
> through this from time to time. They're obviously in
> distress. I want to help and I'm thinking maybe I should
> slap them on the back to help "dislodge" anything that's
> stuck there, but I don't know if that would help or hurt.

No..! Don't do that..! See below.

> I'd love to know what's going on and what I can do about
> it, but it never occurred to me until now to go online to
> a cat interest group and ask! So I'm asking. Does anyone know what
> that spasming is
> called, what causes it, and what we humans can do to help
> our little furry friends get over their episode?
> -Garret Swayne
> garret at garretswayne dot com

They're almost certainly doing exactly what you suggest, i.e. trying to
cough up a furball. It's more common obviously in longhaired cats (you
don't say if yours is a longhair) but all cats will do it from time to
time.

Does it happen very frequently, or is it a once in a while thing..? If
you're really concerned, then see your vet, but I doubt it's anything
serious from what you describe.

Ivor

.._..
June 1st 07, 04:49 PM
"Garret Swayne" > wrote in message
hlink.net...
> You know how sometimes cats get into a respiratory spasming thing like
> they're trying to clear something from their throat (a hairball or
> something??) I don't know what to call it. It's very rhythmic, and it
> appears to be involuntary, like they're choking on something and they're
> trying to expel it. Every cat I've ever had goes through this from time
> to time. They're obviously in distress. I want to help and I'm thinking
> maybe I should slap them on the back to help "dislodge" anything that's
> stuck there, but I don't know if that would help or hurt. I'd love to
> know what's going on and what I can do about it, but it never occurred to
> me until now to go online to a cat interest group and ask!
> So I'm asking. Does anyone know what that spasming is called, what causes
> it, and what we humans can do to help our little furry friends get over
> their episode?
> -Garret Swayne
> garret at garretswayne dot com

It's a hairball.

Do nothing at the time (maybe get a magazine to catch what they hack up.)

Hairballs come from the gut, not the lungs so your cat is not in danger of
choking. It is probably uncomfortable (vomiting usually is) but you can't
do anything to help.

Over the long term, brush or comb your cat so less fur gets in them. If you
use dry food, consider adding a bit of wet, or using one of the "reduced
hairball" formula foods. (The Purina one does wonders for my little
hairball generators... went from 4 piles a week to 1 pile a month with four
cats.)

Claude V. Lucas
June 1st 07, 06:15 PM
In article >,
..._.. > wrote:

>"Garret Swayne" > wrote in message
hlink.net...
>> You know how sometimes cats get into a respiratory spasming thing like
>> they're trying to clear something from their throat (a hairball or
>> something??) I don't know what to call it. It's very rhythmic, and it
>> appears to be involuntary, like they're choking on something and they're
>> trying to expel it. Every cat I've ever had goes through this from time
>> to time. They're obviously in distress. I want to help and I'm thinking
>> maybe I should slap them on the back to help "dislodge" anything that's
>> stuck there, but I don't know if that would help or hurt. I'd love to
>> know what's going on and what I can do about it, but it never occurred to
>> me until now to go online to a cat interest group and ask!
>> So I'm asking. Does anyone know what that spasming is called, what causes
>> it, and what we humans can do to help our little furry friends get over
>> their episode?
>> -Garret Swayne
>> garret at garretswayne dot com
>>

>It's a hairball.
>
>Do nothing at the time (maybe get a magazine to catch what they hack up.)
>
>Hairballs come from the gut, not the lungs so your cat is not in danger of
>choking. It is probably uncomfortable (vomiting usually is) but you can't
>do anything to help.
>
>Over the long term, brush or comb your cat so less fur gets in them. If you
>use dry food, consider adding a bit of wet, or using one of the "reduced
>hairball" formula foods. (The Purina one does wonders for my little
>hairball generators... went from 4 piles a week to 1 pile a month with four
>cats.)

Brush the kitty frequently enough to remove shedding hair, as others
have mentioned.

Also there is something called "Petromalt" that will help kitty
pass the hairballs. it is available at your friendly local
pet labyrinth and seems to be tasty enough that kitty will
eat it off your finger... Bubba likes it. Of course he'll eat
most anything... Anyway, it seems to help.

Kendra Weissbein
June 2nd 07, 06:24 PM
On Jun 1, 7:14 am, "Garret Swayne" > wrote:

> I want to help and I'm thinking
> maybe I should slap them on the back to help "dislodge" anything that's
> stuck there,

Slap them? I would rather pistol whip them.

June 3rd 07, 04:24 PM
In article >,
(Claude V. Lucas) wrote:

> there is something called "Petromalt" that will help kitty
> pass the hairballs. it is available at your friendly local
> pet labyrinth and seems to be tasty enough that kitty will
> eat it off your finger... Bubba likes it. Of course he'll eat
> most anything... Anyway, it seems to help.

I vote for Petromalt, too. It is amazing how well the product helps
solve this problem (I think it allows the cat's system to collect and
pass the otherwise indigestible hair swallowed while grooming ). AFAICT,
Petromalt is essentially meat-flavored petroleum jelly, so it is
completely inert and non-toxic in the amounts a cat would ingest.

Garret Swayne
June 7th 07, 06:37 PM
Wow, thanks Cheryl for sending the video link! After watching it, I believe
that's exactly what my Zacky is doing. I think he has asthma. He doesn't
get these fits often, but every now and then. I should take him to a vet to
have him checked out. Thanks again...
-Garret

"Cheryl" > wrote in message
> On Fri 01 Jun 2007 10:14:12a, Garret Swayne wrote in
> rec.pets.cats.health+behav
> hlink.net>:
>
>> You know how sometimes cats get into a respiratory spasming
>> thing like they're trying to clear something from their throat
>> (a hairball or something??) I don't know what to call it. It's
>> very rhythmic, and it appears to be involuntary, like they're
>> choking on something and they're trying to expel it. Every cat
>> I've ever had goes through this from time to time. They're
>> obviously in distress. I want to help and I'm thinking maybe I
>> should slap them on the back to help "dislodge" anything that's
>> stuck there, but I don't know if that would help or hurt. I'd
>> love to know what's going on and what I can do about it, but it
>> never occurred to me until now to go online to a cat interest
>> group and ask! So I'm asking. Does anyone know what that
>> spasming is called, what causes it, and what we humans can do to
>> help our little furry friends get over their episode?
>> -Garret Swayne
>> garret at garretswayne dot com
>>

> Garret, this can be an asthma attack. Please have your cat seen by
> the vet. Here's a video of an asthma attack and while it looks
> like a cat horking up a hairball, watch the neck sticking out as if
> trying to straighten the windpipe to get air to breathe.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kG5vBaT21_c
>

> --
> Cheryl

vjc
June 8th 07, 03:05 PM
"Garret Swayne" > wrote in message
nk.net...
> Wow, thanks Cheryl for sending the video link! After watching it, I
> believe that's exactly what my Zacky is doing. I think he has asthma. He
> doesn't get these fits often, but every now and then. I should take him
> to a vet to have him checked out. Thanks again...
> -Garret
>

> "Cheryl" > wrote in message
>> On Fri 01 Jun 2007 10:14:12a, Garret Swayne wrote in
>> rec.pets.cats.health+behav
>> hlink.net>:
>>
>>> You know how sometimes cats get into a respiratory spasming
>>> thing like they're trying to clear something from their throat
>>> (a hairball or something??) I don't know what to call it. It's
>>> very rhythmic, and it appears to be involuntary, like they're
>>> choking on something and they're trying to expel it. Every cat
>>> I've ever had goes through this from time to time. They're
>>> obviously in distress. I want to help and I'm thinking maybe I
>>> should slap them on the back to help "dislodge" anything that's
>>> stuck there, but I don't know if that would help or hurt. I'd
>>> love to know what's going on and what I can do about it, but it
>>> never occurred to me until now to go online to a cat interest
>>> group and ask! So I'm asking. Does anyone know what that
>>> spasming is called, what causes it, and what we humans can do to
>>> help our little furry friends get over their episode?
>>> -Garret Swayne
>>> garret at garretswayne dot com
>>>

>> Garret, this can be an asthma attack. Please have your cat seen by
>> the vet. Here's a video of an asthma attack and while it looks
>> like a cat horking up a hairball, watch the neck sticking out as if
>> trying to straighten the windpipe to get air to breathe.
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kG5vBaT21_c
>>

>> --
>> Cheryl
>>

> Hi:

My cat does the same thing. She gets shot of Depo/methylprednisolone about
every three months. The vet says it's an allergy.

vince

Tom+Gracie+Jenny
June 9th 07, 03:08 PM
On Jun 7, 12:37 pm, "Garret Swayne" > wrote:
> Wow, thanks Cheryl for sending the video link! After watching it, I believe
> that's exactly what my Zacky is doing. I think he has asthma. He doesn't
> get these fits often, but every now and then. I should take him to a vet to
> have him checked out. Thanks again...
> -Garret
>
> "Cheryl" > wrote in message

> > On Fri 01 Jun 2007 10:14:12a, Garret Swayne wrote in
> > rec.pets.cats.health+behav
> > hlink.net>:
>
> >> You know how sometimes cats get into a respiratory spasming
> >> thing like they're trying to clear something from their throat
> >> (a hairball or something??) I don't know what to call it. It's
> >> very rhythmic, and it appears to be involuntary, like they're
> >> choking on something and they're trying to expel it. Every cat
> >> I've ever had goes through this from time to time. They're
> >> obviously in distress. I want to help and I'm thinking maybe I
> >> should slap them on the back to help "dislodge" anything that's
> >> stuck there, but I don't know if that would help or hurt. I'd
> >> love to know what's going on and what I can do about it, but it
> >> never occurred to me until now to go online to a cat interest
> >> group and ask! So I'm asking. Does anyone know what that
> >> spasming is called, what causes it, and what we humans can do to
> >> help our little furry friends get over their episode?
> >> -Garret Swayne
> >> garret at garretswayne dot com
>
> > Garret, this can be an asthma attack. Please have your cat seen by
> > the vet. Here's a video of an asthma attack and while it looks
> > like a cat horking up a hairball, watch the neck sticking out as if
> > trying to straighten the windpipe to get air to breathe.
>
> >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kG5vBaT21_c
>
> > --
> > Cheryl

I learned a lot from this other video. (It sounds like it was written
by some
drug company, and of course it's off the net, but still..) What the
narration said made sense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkebV2tv_cs

tom tac