PDA

View Full Version : Cats changed bowel habit

Clyde
June 1st 07, 11:09 PM
I have two 12 or 13 year old female litermates. They are strictly indoor
cats and have only escaped once several years ago.

For about the last two months, these cats have increased their water intake
substantially, and subsequently their urine output has increased
accordingly. The mystery is that the volume of their feces has declined
substantially and is very dry. We feed them wet food, and used to
supliment that with dry treats daily. We have cut out the cry treats, but
their turds are still dry.

I service their boxes daily to remove the urine soaked liter and the few
dry turds that are in the boxes.

Whatever the problem is has affected both cats.

Other than this one problem, they appear to be in perfect health.

Any suggestions.

Thanks

Lynne
June 1st 07, 11:32 PM
on Fri, 01 Jun 2007 22:09:04 GMT, Clyde > wrote:

> I have two 12 or 13 year old female litermates. They are strictly
> indoor cats and have only escaped once several years ago.
>
> For about the last two months, these cats have increased their water
> intake substantially, and subsequently their urine output has
> increased accordingly. The mystery is that the volume of their feces
> has declined substantially and is very dry. We feed them wet food,
> and used to supliment that with dry treats daily. We have cut out the
> cry treats, but their turds are still dry.
>
> I service their boxes daily to remove the urine soaked liter and the
> few dry turds that are in the boxes.
>
> Whatever the problem is has affected both cats.
>
> Other than this one problem, they appear to be in perfect health.
>
> Any suggestions.

Take them to the vet.

--
Lynne

Gail
June 2nd 07, 12:11 AM
Yes, take them to the vet to be checked. They may be diabetic or have
another disease brewing. They are geriatric cats and are more vulnerable to
disease.
Gail
"Clyde" > wrote in message
>I have two 12 or 13 year old female litermates. They are strictly indoor
> cats and have only escaped once several years ago.
>
> For about the last two months, these cats have increased their water
> intake
> substantially, and subsequently their urine output has increased
> accordingly. The mystery is that the volume of their feces has declined
> substantially and is very dry. We feed them wet food, and used to
> supliment that with dry treats daily. We have cut out the cry treats, but
> their turds are still dry.
>
> I service their boxes daily to remove the urine soaked liter and the few
> dry turds that are in the boxes.
>
> Whatever the problem is has affected both cats.
>
> Other than this one problem, they appear to be in perfect health.
>
> Any suggestions.
>
> Thanks

Cheryl
June 2nd 07, 03:09 AM
On Fri 01 Jun 2007 06:09:04p, Clyde wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav <news:[email protected]
204.127.36.1>:

> Whatever the problem is has affected both cats.

Here is the clue. Is it possible they have been eating food on the
recall list? Increased thirst and urination and dry stools could be
a sign of kidney disease. I agree with Gail and Lynne - time for an
exam.

--
Cheryl

Clyde
June 2nd 07, 01:34 PM
Cheryl > wrote in news:[email protected]
130.133.1.4:

> On Fri 01 Jun 2007 06:09:04p, Clyde wrote in
> rec.pets.cats.health+behav <news:[email protected]
> 204.127.36.1>:
>
>> Whatever the problem is has affected both cats.
>
> Here is the clue. Is it possible they have been eating food on the
> recall list? Increased thirst and urination and dry stools could be
> a sign of kidney disease. I agree with Gail and Lynne - time for an
> exam.

I'll check that. Mostly they eat "Fanct Feast" brand of wet cat food. We
have a few cans of "Special Kitty" brand, but our cats do not like it and
will simply not eat it. Too cheap for them!!

MaryL
June 2nd 07, 03:26 PM
"Lynne" > wrote in message
. 97.142...
> on Fri, 01 Jun 2007 22:09:04 GMT, Clyde > wrote:
>
>> I have two 12 or 13 year old female litermates. They are strictly
>> indoor cats and have only escaped once several years ago.
>>
>> For about the last two months, these cats have increased their water
>> intake substantially, and subsequently their urine output has
>> increased accordingly. The mystery is that the volume of their feces
>> has declined substantially and is very dry. We feed them wet food,
>> and used to supliment that with dry treats daily. We have cut out the
>> cry treats, but their turds are still dry.
>>
>> I service their boxes daily to remove the urine soaked liter and the
>> few dry turds that are in the boxes.
>>
>> Whatever the problem is has affected both cats.
>>
>> Other than this one problem, they appear to be in perfect health.
>>
>> Any suggestions.
>
> Take them to the vet.
>
> --
> Lynne

Yes, *any* unexplained change in litterbox habits (urine or feces output,
stool that is suddenly too hard or too soft, urinating outside the
litterbox, etc.) should call for an immediate trip to the vet. It will
often me a minor health problem that can be easily treated if found early,
but a delay can lead to more serious issues.

MaryL

Cheryl
June 5th 07, 02:30 AM
On Sat 02 Jun 2007 08:34:50a, Clyde wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
>:

> I'll check that. Mostly they eat "Fanct Feast" brand of wet cat
> food. We have a few cans of "Special Kitty" brand, but our cats
> do not like it and will simply not eat it. Too cheap for them!!

Please check back in and let us know how they are.

--
Cheryl