PDA

View Full Version : OT - Ok brush your teeth with baking soda


Ketzl's Dad
June 2nd 07, 02:52 AM
Toothpaste Containing Poison Is Found in U.S.

By WALT BOGDANICH
Published: June 2, 2007
Consumers were advised on Friday to discard all toothpaste made in China
after federal health officials said they found Chinese-made toothpaste
containing a poison related to a chemical used in antifreeze in three
locations Miami, the Port of Los Angeles and Puerto Rico.

cut

http://tinyurl.com/2docsj

--
Joey DoWop Dee
Remember: It is To Laugh

nick
June 2nd 07, 03:01 AM
Then again, the antifreeze will keep water in your
mouth from freezing in the Winter.

Ketzl's Dad
June 2nd 07, 03:20 AM
On Fri, 1 Jun 2007 22:01:42 -0400, nick wrote:

> Then again, the antifreeze will keep water in your
> mouth from freezing in the Winter.
>
>
>
>

And water in your gut, too.

--
Joey DoWop Dee

June 2nd 07, 03:29 AM
In rec.pets.cats.anecdotes Ketzl's Dad > wrote:
> Toothpaste Containing Poison Is Found in U.S.

> By WALT BOGDANICH
> Published: June 2, 2007
> Consumers were advised on Friday to discard all toothpaste made in China
> after federal health officials said they found Chinese-made toothpaste
> containing a poison related to a chemical used in antifreeze in three
> locations ? Miami, the Port of Los Angeles and Puerto Rico.

And keep it away from your pets!! That stuff tastes good, so if they
found it in the trash, they might want to eat it.

Notice that none of the companies selling this stuff has offered to give
consumers a refund for the tainted toothpaste. We're just supposed to
dump it out and eat the cost?

Does anyone have a comprehensive list of the affected companies/products?
I use Tom's of Maine toothpaste, which I trust, but you never know. I
don't want the itchmo home page, but if you have a link *directly* to that
list, then I'd like to see it. Otherwise, it's no help - I've already
been to itchmo, and didn't find it.

Thanks,
Joyce

Ketzl's Dad
June 2nd 07, 12:33 PM
On Fri, 1 Jun 2007 22:29:14 -0400, wrote:

> In rec.pets.cats.anecdotes Ketzl's Dad > wrote:
> > Toothpaste Containing Poison Is Found in U.S.
>
> > By WALT BOGDANICH
> > Published: June 2, 2007
> > Consumers were advised on Friday to discard all toothpaste made in China
> > after federal health officials said they found Chinese-made toothpaste
> > containing a poison related to a chemical used in antifreeze in three
> > locations ? Miami, the Port of Los Angeles and Puerto Rico.
>
> And keep it away from your pets!! That stuff tastes good, so if they
> found it in the trash, they might want to eat it.
>
> Notice that none of the companies selling this stuff has offered to give
> consumers a refund for the tainted toothpaste. We're just supposed to
> dump it out and eat the cost?
>
> Does anyone have a comprehensive list of the affected companies/products?
> I use Tom's of Maine toothpaste, which I trust, but you never know. I
> don't want the itchmo home page, but if you have a link *directly* to that
> list, then I'd like to see it. Otherwise, it's no help - I've already
> been to itchmo, and didn't find it.
>
> Thanks,
> Joyce

Well, I feel a little foolish saying this, but so far it seems to be limited
to a few off-brands sold at dollar stores in the south, but I'd be very
surprised if that doesn't spread, like the pet food recall.

This seems to be a "disagreement" between the manufacturer/Chinese government
(maybe?) about whether or not diethylene glycol is harmful or not.
Huge problem with this way of thinking, and I may never eat Chinese food
again.

There's more here:

http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/NEWS/2007/NEW01646.html

--
Joey DoWop Dee
Remember: It is To Laugh

.._..
June 4th 07, 04:08 PM
>> Joyce
>
> Well, I feel a little foolish saying this, but so far it seems to be
> limited
> to a few off-brands sold at dollar stores in the south, but I'd be very
> surprised if that doesn't spread, like the pet food recall.
>
> This seems to be a "disagreement" between the manufacturer/Chinese
> government
> (maybe?) about whether or not diethylene glycol is harmful or not.
> Huge problem with this way of thinking, and I may never eat Chinese food
> again.
>
> There's more here:
>
> http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/NEWS/2007/NEW01646.html
>
> --
> Joey DoWop Dee
> Remember: It is To Laugh
>

Yes, it is limited off brands. However, the Chinese have _zero_ effective
product safety laws. Every once in a while they shoot some guy for being
corrupt and skirting the few that there are for bribes. But as you know,
there's always someone else waiting to take their place.

Talk to a few people from mainland China. The ones I have listened to say
you are out of your mind to use or consume any product from the mainland.
The pet food and toothpaste is only the tip of the iceburg.

Stormin Mormon[_2_]
June 5th 07, 07:58 PM
I've been using baking soda for a couple years. And been very
pleased with it.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.
You have to starve them.
..

"Ketzl's Dad" > wrote in message
. net...
: Toothpaste Containing Poison Is Found in U.S.
:
: By WALT BOGDANICH
: Published: June 2, 2007
: Consumers were advised on Friday to discard all toothpaste made
in China
: after federal health officials said they found Chinese-made
toothpaste
: containing a poison related to a chemical used in antifreeze in
three
: locations Miami, the Port of Los Angeles and Puerto Rico.
:
: cut
:
: http://tinyurl.com/2docsj
:
: --
: Joey DoWop Dee
: Remember: It is To Laugh
:

Stormin Mormon[_2_]
June 5th 07, 07:59 PM
Just hate it when that happens!

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.
You have to starve them.
..

"nick" > wrote in message
...
: Then again, the antifreeze will keep water in your
: mouth from freezing in the Winter.
:
:
:
:

Jack Campin - bogus address
June 5th 07, 09:17 PM
> Consumers were advised on Friday to discard all toothpaste made in
> China after federal health officials said they found Chinese-made
> toothpaste containing a poison related to a chemical used in anti-
> freeze in three locations

It's not a big risk as you don't swallow much of it - the stuff was
much more deadly incorporated into medicinal syrups, as in Panama.

I've used baking soda on and off for years. Usually 50% salt and
50% bicarbonate by volume. But for preference I've been using
Siwak-F toothpaste for the last four years or so. This is mainly
available through Islamic supplies outlets - the active ingredient
is miswak, a kind of astringent chewing stick which is recommended
in a saying of the Prophet Mohammed and used throughout the Muslim
world. It seems to suit my gums; I don't have enough good teeth
left to chew the stick itself.

But it's made in Indonesia which is geographically a bit worrying.

============== j-c ====== @ ====== purr . demon . co . uk ==============
Jack Campin: 11 Third St, Newtongrange EH22 4PU, Scotland | tel 0131 660 4760
<http://www.purr.demon.co.uk/jack/> for CD-ROMs and free | fax 0870 0554 975
stuff: Scottish music, food intolerance, & Mac logic fonts | mob 07800 739 557