PDA

View Full Version : Lots of Pets in need of homes, the shelters are full =(

June 2nd 07, 01:38 AM
Lots of Pets in need of homes, the shelters are full =(

http://www.tradeurban.com/?action=search&cat=6

sheelagh
June 2nd 07, 02:49 AM
On Jun 2, 1:38 am, wrote:
> Lots of Pets in need of homes, the shelters are full =(
>
> http://www.tradeurban.com/?action=search&cat=6

Oh...!!

This really does make me sad. Worse, I know it must be terrible for
the people working for the shelters too. disheartening & very
difficult to fund too? I was thinking about this issue earlier on
today actually...we haven't quite reached the point where you are in
the USA, over here in the UK. I am going to share a link with you, to
my nearest Big Shelter, just so that you can see the difference
between adopting a pet over here, to how things are dealt with in the
UK.

The first thing to take my attention was the price of those Labradors
chocolate pups to start with. we have pages full of those kind of ad's
too, the only difference is that if it is a private vendor, they want
100's of pounds. if it comes from a shelter, I think the minimum would
be around 70 @ least!!

Second thing was that I have a horrible feeling that things are going
to change drastically in the near future regarding stray pets as more
and more of them are simply dumped:(

I was also thinking wondering if it would be better to have a single
charity for rescue pets, or small ones. Over here, if you don't have
your pet insured, the sky is the limit. We should all have our pets
covered... but that is a perfect world, isn't it?
I hope we can learn from this before it happens..& I wonder if the
national lottery helps them out. I shall find out & let you know.
Thanks for sharing this awareness

http://www.woodgreen.org.uk/home.asp
S;o)

Lis
June 2nd 07, 10:40 AM
On Jun 1, 9:49 pm, sheelagh > wrote:
> On Jun 2, 1:38 am, wrote:
>
> > Lots of Pets in need of homes, the shelters are full =(
>
> >http://www.tradeurban.com/?action=search&cat=6
>
> Oh...!!
>
> This really does make me sad. Worse, I know it must be terrible for
> the people working for the shelters too. disheartening & very
> difficult to fund too? I was thinking about this issue earlier on
> today actually...we haven't quite reached the point where you are in
> the USA, over here in the UK. I am going to share a link with you, to
> my nearest Big Shelter, just so that you can see the difference
> between adopting a pet over here, to how things are dealt with in the
> UK.

Sheelagh, that's not a link to a shelter; that's a link to an urban
advertiser publication. (Do you have those in the UK? Local free-or-
really-cheap publications consisting entirely of ads placed by
individuals and small businesses?) Those listings are backyard
breeders selling their dubiously bred pups, people selling their
animals, people trying to rehome their animals themselves, etc.

> The first thing to take my attention was the price of those Labradors
> chocolate pups to start with. we have pages full of those kind of ad's
> too, the only difference is that if it is a private vendor, they want
> 100's of pounds. if it comes from a shelter, I think the minimum would
> be around 70 @ least!!
>
> Second thing was that I have a horrible feeling that things are going
> to change drastically in the near future regarding stray pets as more
> and more of them are simply dumped:(
>
> I was also thinking wondering if it would be better to have a single
> charity for rescue pets, or small ones. Over here, if you don't have
> your pet insured, the sky is the limit. We should all have our pets
> covered... but that is a perfect world, isn't it?
> I hope we can learn from this before it happens..& I wonder if the
> national lottery helps them out. I shall find out & let you know.
> Thanks for sharing this awareness
>
> http://www.woodgreen.org.uk/home.asp
> S;o)

You're comparing a shelter to a local urban advertiser's animal
advertisements. How we do it here:

Petfinder home:
http://www.petfinder.com/
Petfinder is a great resource that lets you search by the animal, by
the shelter, by the region, all over the US and Canada.

My local all-animals shelter:
http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/MA147.html

Local cats-only rescue:
http://www.felinefriendsnh.org/

Another local cats-only rescue:
http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/MA68.html

One local dog rescue:
http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/MA90.html

Another local dog rescue:
http://members.petfinder.com/~MA224/index.html

Lis

sheelagh
June 2nd 07, 02:28 PM
On 2 Jun, 10:40, Lis > wrote:
> On Jun 1, 9:49 pm, sheelagh > wrote:
>

> > On Jun 2, 1:38 am, wrote:
>
> > > Lots of Pets in need of homes, the shelters are full =(
>
> > >http://www.tradeurban.com/?action=search&cat=6
>
> > Oh...!!
>
> > This really does make me sad. Worse, I know it must be terrible for
> > the people working for the shelters too. disheartening & very
> > difficult to fund too? I was thinking about this issue earlier on
> > today actually...we haven't quite reached the point where you are in
> > the USA, over here in the UK. I am going to share a link with you, to
> > my nearest Big Shelter, just so that you can see the difference
> > between adopting a pet over here, to how things are dealt with in the
> > UK.
>
> Sheelagh, that's not a link to a shelter; that's a link to an urban
> advertiser publication. (Do you have those in the UK? Local free-or-
> really-cheap publications consisting entirely of ads placed by
> individuals and small businesses?) Those listings are backyard
> breeders selling their dubiously bred pups, people selling their
> animals, people trying to rehome their animals themselves, etc.
>

> > The first thing to take my attention was the price of those Labradors
> > chocolate pups to start with. we have pages full of those kind of ad's
> > too, the only difference is that if it is a private vendor, they want
> > 100's of pounds. if it comes from a shelter, I think the minimum would
> > be around 70 @ least!!
>
> > Second thing was that I have a horrible feeling that things are going
> > to change drastically in the near future regarding stray pets as more
> > and more of them are simply dumped:(
>
> > I was also thinking wondering if it would be better to have a single
> > charity for rescue pets, or small ones. Over here, if you don't have
> > your pet insured, the sky is the limit. We should all have our pets
> > covered... but that is a perfect world, isn't it?
> > I hope we can learn from this before it happens..& I wonder if the
> > national lottery helps them out. I shall find out & let you know.
> > Thanks for sharing this awareness
>
> >http://www.woodgreen.org.uk/home.asp
> > S;o)
>
> You're comparing a shelter to a local urban advertiser's animal
> advertisements. How we do it here:
>
> Petfinder home:http://www.petfinder.com/
> Petfinder is a great resource that lets you search by the animal, by
> the shelter, by the region, all over the US and Canada.
>
> My local all-animals shelter:http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/MA147.html
>
> Local cats-only rescue:http://www.felinefriendsnh.org/
>
> Another local cats-only rescue:http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/MA68.html
>
> One local dog rescue:http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/MA90.html
>
> Another local dog rescue:http://members.petfinder.com/~MA224/index.html
>
> Lis- Hide quoted text -

So sorry! It was rather early this am (@ 5.20 am I think?!!
try this one if you would, & it should take you to where I intend you
to go visit.
Trust my luck for it turning out be a cowboy 2bit outfit..Soz
mate...Lol

http://www.woodgreen.org.uk/the-animals-cat-section.asp

This is one of the largest shelters around here. It is where I would
go and choose one if I had the space to spare, or fitted the criteria
to have one of their Dogs. I think I asked you about Dogs before I am
also going to add a link to the Dog page, because whilst looking @ the
dogs this morning, ?
Can you have a look to see if they are they are a pair of dogs that
looked just like your little girl? I could be wrong.

It is actually quite s formal procedure if you want to adopt one. You
have to fit the animals criteria, rather than the other way around. I
think they charge near the 75 mark ($150). I can't see any in there
currently that we meet their standards. A lot of them need to be the
only dog household, or no cats. what a shame!!
(Spike & Mojo BTW)

http://www.woodgreen.org.uk/the-animals_dogs_Lookingforhomes.asp

S;o)

I hope I got the right one this time?
& thanks for sharing your links with us...

MaryL
June 2nd 07, 03:17 PM
"sheelagh" > wrote in message
ups.com...
On 2 Jun, 10:40, Lis > wrote:
> On Jun 1, 9:49 pm, sheelagh > wrote:

It is actually quite s formal procedure if you want to adopt one. You
have to fit the animals criteria, rather than the other way around. I
think they charge near the 75 mark ($150). I can't see any in there
currently that we meet their standards. A lot of them need to be the
only dog household, or no cats. what a shame!!
(Spike & Mojo BTW)

http://www.woodgreen.org.uk/the-animals_dogs_Lookingforhomes.asp

S;o)

I hope I got the right one this time?
& thanks for sharing your links with us...

Lis provided some excellent links for you. To add to that information, here
is my personal example of how I adopted Duffy. I was looking at
http://www.petfinder.com/ (one of the sites she listed). Petfinder is an
excellent site because it includes information and pictures of animals in
shelters (and many rescue groups) all across the US and Canada, as Lis said.
It can be searched by breed of animal, age, size, gender, and also my
location -- zip/city/state/province. At the time I located Duffy, I wasn't
even searching for a cat for myself. I was trying to help someone else --
but there was Duffy's picture. He looked like a little old waif in the
picture from the shelter, had been in the shelter for several months, and
was blind. Prospects did not look good for him, and the person I was
helping did not want a blind cat. Well, that was my good fortune because
*I* adopted him! From that point on, the process was that I contacted the
shelter and made arrangements to come in (the city was about 30 miles away)
to see Duffy and be interviewed.

I downloaded the application from from their web site and filled out the
preliminary information even before I went to see Duffy -- from that, you
can see that I had pretty much made up my mind to adopt even before I met
him. There were questions asking about my experience with cats, how I would
care for him as he got older, my intentions on the type of place where he
would be, the type of medical care I expected, other animals in my
household, name and contact information for a veterinarian who could be used
as a reference, etc. When I arrived at the shelter, they brought Duffy out
to me and observed us as we interacted. Duffy and I bonded in an instant!!
He was all over me, loving, rubbing his little face against mine, etc. --
all this even though we could hear the constant barking of dogs in the
background. I completed the paperwork there and I had no doubt after the
interview that I was going to be approved. However, I had to wait three
days for the formalities -- my vet was contacted for a referral, their vet
gave Duffy a final health inspection and gave him a series of vaccinations
before I could pick him up. The shelter had a standard fee of $75.00 to
adopt. That does not even begin to cover the cost of caring for a cat for
several months, but it helps to screen people who are not prepared to
provide necessary care. In Duffy's case, I was surprised to learn that it
would actually only be a fee of $25.00! That's because he had already been
neutered before he was turned in to the shelter. They have their vet neuter
all cats and dogs before adoption (except for very young kittens and pups),
so $50.00 was dropped from my fee. I later sent a larger donation to
them -- I am *very* grateful that they kept Duffy for such a long time.
People who adopt kittens and puppies that are too young for adoption sign an
agreement to spay/neuter and pay a refundable fee (refundable after
providing proof of spay/neuter). So, you can see that pets are not being
"sold" by shelters and reputable rescue groups.

I also signed an agreement that a representative of the shelter could
inspect my home at any time. In actual fact, no one has ever followed up on
Duffy's care, but that is done in some situations. I served as a volunteer
years ago for our local shelter (not the one where I found Duffy), and I
made a large number of follow-up visits.

MaryL

bookie
June 3rd 07, 12:28 AM
On 2 Jun, 14:28, sheelagh > wrote:
> [...]
> to have one of their Dogs. I think I asked you about Dogs before I am
> also going to add a link to the Dog page, because whilst looking @ the
> dogs this morning, ?
> Can you have a look to see if they are they are a pair of dogs that
> looked just like your little girl? I could be wrong.
>
> It is actually quite s formal procedure if you want to adopt one. You
> have to fit the animals criteria, rather than the other way around. I
> think they charge near the 75 mark ($150). I can't see any in there
> currently that we meet their standards. A lot of them need to be the
> only dog household, or no cats. what a shame!!
> (Spike & Mojo BTW)
>
> http://www.woodgreen.org.uk/the-animals_dogs_Lookingforhomes.asp
>
> S;o)
>
> I hope I got the right one this time?
> & thanks for sharing your links with us...- Hide quoted text -

did you have to put that link up? i clicked on it and now i want to go
there and take all the cats home, particularly spangle who is 14 and
loves to snuggle under duvets, I also like the look of snowy who is
described as '14 years young' bless him.

they ae just all so gorgeous and none of them should be there, they
should all be snuggled up to their own mum and dad in a proper home
where they can be waited on and fussed over all day long.

bookie

sheelagh
June 3rd 07, 12:40 AM
On 3 Jun, 00:28, bookie > wrote:
> On 2 Jun, 14:28, sheelagh > wrote:

> > > Sheelagh, that's not a link to a shelter; that's a link to an urban
> > > advertiser publication. (Do you have those in the UK? Local free-or-
> > > really-cheap publications consisting entirely of ads placed by
> > > individuals and small businesses?) Those listings are backyard
> > > breeders selling their dubiously bred pups, people selling their
> > > animals, people trying to rehome their animals themselves, etc.

> > > You're comparing a shelter to a local urban advertiser's animal
> > > advertisements. How we do it here:
>
> > > Petfinder home:http://www.petfinder.com/
> > > Petfinder is a great resource that lets you search by the animal, by
> > > the shelter, by the region, all over the US and Canada.
>
> > > My local all-animals shelter:http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/MA147.html
>
> > > Local cats-only rescue:http://www.felinefriendsnh.org/
>
> > > Another local cats-only rescue:http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/MA68..html
>
> > > One local dog rescue:http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/MA90.html
>
> > > Another local dog rescue:http://members.petfinder.com/~MA224/index.html
>
> > > Lis- Hide quoted text -

> > So sorry! It was rather early this am (@ 5.20 am I think?!!
> > try this one if you would, & it should take you to where I intend you
> > to go visit.
> > Trust my luck for it turning out be a cowboy 2bit outfit..Soz
> > mate...Lol
>
> >http://www.woodgreen.org.uk/the-animals-cat-section.asp
>
> > This is one of the largest shelters around here. It is where I would
> > go and choose one if I had the space to spare, or fitted the criteria
> > to have one of their Dogs. I think I asked you about Dogs before I am
> > also going to add a link to the Dog page, because whilst looking @ the
> > dogs this morning, ?
> > Can you have a look to see if they are they are a pair of dogs that
> > looked just like your little girl? I could be wrong.
>
> > It is actually quite s formal procedure if you want to adopt one. You
> > have to fit the animals criteria, rather than the other way around. I
> > think they charge near the 75 mark ($150). I can't see any in there
> > currently that we meet their standards. A lot of them need to be the
> > only dog household, or no cats. what a shame!!
> > (Spike & Mojo BTW)
>
> >http://www.woodgreen.org.uk/the-animals_dogs_Lookingforhomes.asp
>
> > S;o)
>
> > I hope I got the right one this time?
> > & thanks for sharing your links with us...- Hide quoted text -

> did you have to put that link up? i clicked on it and now i want to go
> there and take all the cats home, particularly spangle who is 14 and
> loves to snuggle under duvets, I also like the look of snowy who is
> described as '14 years young' bless him.
>
> they ae just all so gorgeous and none of them should be there, they
> should all be snuggled up to their own mum and dad in a proper home
> where they can be waited on and fussed over all day long.
>
> bookie- Hide quoted text -

There, hopefully this will take you where you need to be. If you have
any problems finding it, let me know, OK?
Thanks!

http://www.woodgreen.org.uk/the-animals-cat-section.asp

S;o)

how_about_this_nym_is_it_still_too_long_gee_i'm_awfully_sorry_about_that_and_will_take_steps_to_corr
June 3rd 07, 12:43 AM
On Jun 1, 8:38 pm, wrote:
> Lots of Pets in need of homes, the shelters are full =(
>
> http://www.tradeurban.com/?action=search&cat=6

Surely this can't be a problem, what with all the starvation in the
world...

Lis
June 3rd 07, 03:58 PM
On Jun 2, 9:28 am, sheelagh > wrote:
> [...]
> to have one of their Dogs. I think I asked you about Dogs before I am
> also going to add a link to the Dog page, because whilst looking @ the
> dogs this morning, ?
> Can you have a look to see if they are they are a pair of dogs that
> looked just like your little girl? I could be wrong.
>
> It is actually quite s formal procedure if you want to adopt one. You
> have to fit the animals criteria, rather than the other way around. I
> think they charge near the 75 mark ($150). I can't see any in there
> currently that we meet their standards. A lot of them need to be the
> only dog household, or no cats. what a shame!!
> (Spike & Mojo BTW)
>
> http://www.woodgreen.org.uk/the-animals_dogs_Lookingforhomes.asp
>
> S;o)
>
> I hope I got the right one this time?
> & thanks for sharing your links with us...- Hide quoted text -

Sheelagh, you weren't that groggy from sleep.:) You got your link
right the first time. It's the OP's link, that you were responding to,
that's not a shelter link; just an urban advertiser's animal section.
The way he/she posted it gave the impression that it was a shelter; I
posted the Petfinder links to give you a look at what our shelter
listings look like and what our process really is. Most places, most
shelters, it's every bit as formal as what you're used to over there!

But it was maybe a bit unkind of me, even though unintentionally, if
you've started looking for a dog. All those dogs, looking for homes,
and they're all on the wrong side of the Atlantic. Sorry!:)

Lis

sheelagh
June 3rd 07, 05:05 PM
On Jun 3, 3:58 pm, Lis > wrote:
> [...]
>
> > S;o)
>
> > I hope I got the right one this time?
> > & thanks for sharing your links with us...- Hide quoted text -

> Sheelagh, you weren't that groggy from sleep.:) You got your link
> right the first time. It's the OP's link, that you were responding to,
> that's not a shelter link; just an urban advertiser's animal section.
> The way he/she posted it gave the impression that it was a shelter; I
> posted the Petfinder links to give you a look at what our shelter
> listings look like and what our process really is. Most places, most
> shelters, it's every bit as formal as what you're used to over there!
>
> But it was maybe a bit unkind of me, even though unintentionally, if
> you've started looking for a dog. All those dogs, looking for homes,
> and they're all on the wrong side of the Atlantic. Sorry!:)

You weren't unkind Lis, merely truthful. I can cope with it lol!
I can see the mistake I made here too. Nothing like making a mistake
for the world to see he he.....

Thank you for the genuine links, clearly posted & well explained. Your
procedures look somewhat similar to our own in all ways & I am pleased
to learn this. Who enjoys ignorance when knowledge is available?

I found the link to feline friends/adoption league very similar to our
own Cat Protection League. They also place all cats with volunteers
and work to ensure that the right message gets to owners regarding cat
care & also help with spaying & neutering costs as well. Your also
right regarding when you say the doggies are all on the wrong side of
the pond;( Never mind..I know that the right one will walk into our
lives @ the time when we need each other the most;o)

Thanks Lis!
S;o)

sheelagh
June 3rd 07, 06:43 PM
On Jun 3, 12:28 am, bookie > wrote:
> On 2 Jun, 14:28, sheelagh > wrote:

> > > Sheelagh, that's not a link to a shelter; that's a link to an urban
> > > advertiser publication. (Do you have those in the UK? Local free-or-
> > > really-cheap publications consisting entirely of ads placed by
> > > individuals and small businesses?) Those listings are backyard
> > > breeders selling their dubiously bred pups, people selling their
> > > animals, people trying to rehome their animals themselves, etc.

> > > You're comparing a shelter to a local urban advertiser's animal
> > > advertisements. How we do it here:
>
> > > Petfinder home:http://www.petfinder.com/
> > > Petfinder is a great resource that lets you search by the animal, by
> > > the shelter, by the region, all over the US and Canada.
>
> > > My local all-animals shelter:http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/MA147.html
>
> > > Local cats-only rescue:http://www.felinefriendsnh.org/
>
> > > Another local cats-only rescue:http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/MA68..html
>
> > > One local dog rescue:http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/MA90.html
>
> > > Another local dog rescue:http://members.petfinder.com/~MA224/index.html
>
> > > Lis- Hide quoted text -

> > So sorry! It was rather early this am (@ 5.20 am I think?!!
> > try this one if you would, & it should take you to where I intend you
> > to go visit.
> > Trust my luck for it turning out be a cowboy 2bit outfit..Soz
> > mate...Lol
>
> >http://www.woodgreen.org.uk/the-animals-cat-section.asp
>
> > This is one of the largest shelters around here. It is where I would
> > go and choose one if I had the space to spare, or fitted the criteria
> > to have one of their Dogs. I think I asked you about Dogs before I am
> > also going to add a link to the Dog page, because whilst looking @ the
> > dogs this morning, ?
> > Can you have a look to see if they are they are a pair of dogs that
> > looked just like your little girl? I could be wrong.
>
> > It is actually quite s formal procedure if you want to adopt one. You
> > have to fit the animals criteria, rather than the other way around. I
> > think they charge near the 75 mark ($150). I can't see any in there
> > currently that we meet their standards. A lot of them need to be the
> > only dog household, or no cats. what a shame!!
> > (Spike & Mojo BTW)
>
> >http://www.woodgreen.org.uk/the-animals_dogs_Lookingforhomes.asp
>
> > S;o)
>
> > I hope I got the right one this time?
> > & thanks for sharing your links with us...- Hide quoted text -

> did you have to put that link up? i clicked on it and now i want to go
> there and take all the cats home, particularly spangle who is 14 and
> loves to snuggle under duvets, I also like the look of snowy who is
> described as '14 years young' bless him.
>
> they ae just all so gorgeous and none of them should be there, they
> should all be snuggled up to their own mum and dad in a proper home
> where they can be waited on and fussed over all day long.
>
> bookie- Hide quoted text -

Very true!
I find it really sad that there are not ques of people, waiting for
themselves to be one of the chosen few;chosen by the cats of course!!
S;o)

Cheryl
June 4th 07, 11:50 PM
On Sun 03 Jun 2007 01:43:36p, sheelagh wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
oups.com>:

>> they ae just all so gorgeous and none of them should be there,
>> they should all be snuggled up to their own mum and dad in a
>> proper home where they can be waited on and fussed over all day
>> long.
>>
>> bookie- Hide quoted text -

> Very true!
> I find it really sad that there are not ques of people, waiting
> for themselves to be one of the chosen few;chosen by the cats of
> course!!

It is sad to see all the homeless, isn't it! :( This is why so many
of us are so pro-neuter/spay because there are a lot more cats and
other animals than there are people who can, or want to, or are
able to, take them in.

--
Cheryl