PDA

View Full Version : Nail trimming

James
June 2nd 07, 06:01 AM
Just saw on Animal Planet program on Detroit Humain Society a woman
clipping a kitten's nails. It only took her seconds. Didn't even
looked for the quick. Just click, click, click, click and on to the
next paw. Don't remember if it showed her doing the back legs because
I want to see how she would hold the cat. Maybe it wasn't shown or I
wasn't paying too much attention.

Bluedove
June 2nd 07, 12:37 PM
"James" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Just saw on Animal Planet program on Detroit Humain Society a woman
> clipping a kitten's nails. It only took her seconds. Didn't even
> looked for the quick. Just click, click, click, click and on to the
> next paw. Don't remember if it showed her doing the back legs because
> I want to see how she would hold the cat. Maybe it wasn't shown or I
> wasn't paying too much attention.

I usually take my time when I clip my cats claws, but I've certainly seen
many vet tech's do the clippings in record timing :-)! As far as one doing
the clippings themselves, I think the key element is simply getting a cat
used to it in the beginning. I have always started (getting them used to
this) when all my cat's were kittens. I would touch them a lot, all over, in
general, to get them used to me holding and sqeezing their feet very gently.

I started doing this before ever attempting to clip their nails, so they
would be used to, and comfortable with, thier toes being touched and sqeezed
gently. After all, you have to sqeeze each indivdual little toe to push out
the nail when you clip them. But if they have never been used to being
touched, and had pressure on their feet, then they do usually freak out.
So, getting them used to this handling is a huge* help, IMO. I usually just
pick my up, and then put them between my lap, while sitting on a comfy big
chair. They are positioned with their rump in a sitting position, so I can
grap each legs/ feet individually. I just use basic human toe-nail clippers
that you can buy for a dollar at the dollar store.

ML

Mommy of 2 via CatKB.com
June 3rd 07, 11:29 PM
I take my furball to Super Petz every 4-6 weeks to have hers clipped...and
the girl is done zippidy fast without hurting my Xena. I'm sure it's because
she's so experienced. Now I hold Xena and the groomer holds the paw she's
working on.