PDA

View Full Version : Cat Issue

Muddypaws
June 5th 07, 11:42 AM
Hi all

I got a 1 year old female cat from a guy who didn't want her anymore
as he had a female dog, living in a 1 bedroom flat and basically the
cat lived under his bed.

I have subsequently had her neutered and my lovely tom cat has
welcomed her with open arms although she is not as forthcoming.

The problem I have is that whilst she goes out, and sleeps downstairs
during the night and has access to a clean litter tray, she simply
will not use it and messes on the floor. Even though she goes out,
when she comes back she messes on the floor and urinates on my
curtains. My tom cat is exceptionally clean and never had a problem.
Now I am 4 months on and its still the same and if it carries on I may
have to think of re-homing her

Can someone advise?

Gail
June 5th 07, 11:59 AM
Is your Tom cat neutered? She should be checked for a urinary tract
infection. Also, you should have at least two litter boxes for two cats.
Gail
"Muddypaws" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hi all
>
> I got a 1 year old female cat from a guy who didn't want her anymore
> as he had a female dog, living in a 1 bedroom flat and basically the
> cat lived under his bed.
>
> I have subsequently had her neutered and my lovely tom cat has
> welcomed her with open arms although she is not as forthcoming.
>
> The problem I have is that whilst she goes out, and sleeps downstairs
> during the night and has access to a clean litter tray, she simply
> will not use it and messes on the floor. Even though she goes out,
> when she comes back she messes on the floor and urinates on my
> curtains. My tom cat is exceptionally clean and never had a problem.
> Now I am 4 months on and its still the same and if it carries on I may
> have to think of re-homing her
>
> Can someone advise?

Rene S.
June 5th 07, 02:53 PM
I agree with Gail. Please have her checked out for any medical issues.
Also, did you check with her previous owner about the type of litter
he used? Perhaps she prefers another brand.

chrissy3250
June 5th 07, 03:49 PM
On Jun 5, 3:42 am, Muddypaws > wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I got a 1 year old female cat from a guy who didn't want her anymore
> as he had a female dog, living in a 1 bedroom flat and basically the
> cat lived under his bed.
>
> I have subsequently had her neutered and my lovely tom cat has
> welcomed her with open arms although she is not as forthcoming.
>
> The problem I have is that whilst she goes out, and sleeps downstairs
> during the night and has access to a clean litter tray, she simply
> will not use it and messes on the floor. Even though she goes out,
> when she comes back she messes on the floor and urinates on my
> curtains. My tom cat is exceptionally clean and never had a problem.
> Now I am 4 months on and its still the same and if it carries on I may
> have to think of re-homing her
>
> Can someone advise?

do u think that if you reward her for using the litter box that she
will eventually start using it on her own. cause i have had a couple
of cats and most of them were already using the litter box but one of
them wasn't and every time she started to go i had to put her in her
litter box and eventually she started hanging on.if this doesn't help
her then u should have her checked.

bookie
June 5th 07, 05:28 PM
On 5 Jun, 11:59, "Gail" > wrote:
> Is your Tom cat neutered? She should be checked for a urinary tract
> infection. Also, you should have at least two litter boxes for two cats.
> Gail"Muddypaws" > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...
>

> > Hi all
>
> > I got a 1 year old female cat from a guy who didn't want her anymore
> > as he had a female dog, living in a 1 bedroom flat and basically the
> > cat lived under his bed.
>
> > I have subsequently had her neutered and my lovely tom cat has
> > welcomed her with open arms although she is not as forthcoming.
>
> > The problem I have is that whilst she goes out, and sleeps downstairs
> > during the night and has access to a clean litter tray, she simply
> > will not use it and messes on the floor. Even though she goes out,
> > when she comes back she messes on the floor and urinates on my
> > curtains. My tom cat is exceptionally clean and never had a problem.
> > Now I am 4 months on and its still the same and if it carries on I may
> > have to think of re-homing her
>
> > Can someone advise?- Hide quoted text -

or even one litter tray per cat plus one more

Muddypaws
June 5th 07, 07:52 PM
On 5 Jun, 14:53, "Rene S." > wrote:
> I agree with Gail. Please have her checked out for any medical issues.
> Also, did you check with her previous owner about the type of litter
> he used? Perhaps she prefers another brand.

Yep got the same litter as she would not use the wood base stuff, so
went for what he was using. I only have the one litter tray as my Tom
cat goes outside, he does not use one and yes he has had his bits done
too!

She is going to the vets on Friday

Rene S.
June 5th 07, 08:11 PM

> Yep got the same litter as she would not use the wood base stuff, so
> went for what he was using. I only have the one litter tray as my Tom
> cat goes outside, he does not use one and yes he has had his bits done
> too!
>
> She is going to the vets on Friday

I'm glad she has a vet appointment. Please let us know what the vet
says.

In the meantime, can you try adding a second box in another location?
Many cats like to pee in one and poo in another (this is true with one
of my cats). It's also possible that she might not like the location
of the other box. At this point, it can't hurt to try, right?

Lesley via CatKB.com
June 6th 07, 09:34 AM
Rene S. wrote:

>In the meantime, can you try adding a second box in another location?
>Many cats like to pee in one and poo in another (this is true with one
>of my cats). It's also possible that she might not like the location
>of the other box. At this point, it can't hurt to try, right?

Another suggestion (well it worked for me anyway) is the litter deep enough?
I first came onto this ng with a problem with Sarrasine who wouldn't poo in
the box about half the time, I tried extra boxes etc and all to no avail
until the day when I accidentally tipped what I thought was too much litter
in the box...she's never given me any problems since- she just likes to
really bury the evidence!

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Muddypaws
June 6th 07, 09:43 AM
On 5 Jun, 20:11, "Rene S." > wrote:
> > Yep got the same litter as she would not use the wood base stuff, so
> > went for what he was using. I only have the one litter tray as my Tom
> > cat goes outside, he does not use one and yes he has had his bits done
> > too!
>
> > She is going to the vets on Friday
>
> I'm glad she has a vet appointment. Please let us know what the vet
> says.
>
> In the meantime, can you try adding a second box in another location?
> Many cats like to pee in one and poo in another (this is true with one
> of my cats). It's also possible that she might not like the location
> of the other box. At this point, it can't hurt to try, right?

Nope you are right, what she does is poo right next to the tray! If I
am lucky I can catch her and pop her in the tray and then reward her.
Then blow me down, next time she goes and does it again.

She is out most of the day, as I encourage my cats to go outside, but
there is ALWAYS a tray in the house and its cleaned. My Tom cat never
uses it, he prefers outdoors but I am sure she just saves it up until
she comes home and then messes

Anyhow will see what the vet says