PDA

View Full Version : Update on Clyde

Naomi
June 6th 07, 11:55 AM
Hi everyone, I just thought I would let everyone know who's interested
about my poorly moggy.

Thank you for your email, I don't check this account daily which is
why I've only just seen yours!

I have spoken to the vet this morning who has had Clyde on a drip all
night and anti-biotics. He has done some preliminary tests which have
revealed a severe bladder infection. Kidney fuction is slightly
elevated but he said that was understandable because of the infection
and not a cause for concern at the moment. The vet is going to
continue with another day's worth of anti-biotics and IV liquids and
see how he is tomorrow as needs to clear the blood/pus from his system
in order to gain better urine test results. He's holding off on x-
rays, has said that a number of things can cause the infection. If the
anti-biotics work, then it may be a case of nursing him back to
health, if they don't then it's x-ray time I guess, depending on how
expensive treatment will be.

As for the spinal problem, the vet is completely baffled and now
cannot see how it's related to the bladder infection, he says it's
very rare, but all he can gather is that the two are completely
unrelated and just coincidental. He apparently could've had a back
problem for a while and we just didn't know it until now.

I've had it mentioned to me that some Science Diet MD has been
recalled, I'll mention it to the vet later and ask what other diet
options we have. With Clyde being so overweight he needs a really good
diet food. I shall be posting when Clyde is better to see if you guys
have any advice on dieting fat cats!

Thanks all for your support/advice/help,
Naomi

cindys
June 6th 07, 12:24 PM
"Naomi" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> Hi everyone, I just thought I would let everyone know who's interested
> about my poorly moggy.
>
> Thank you for your email, I don't check this account daily which is
> why I've only just seen yours!
>
> I have spoken to the vet this morning who has had Clyde on a drip all
> night and anti-biotics. He has done some preliminary tests which have
> revealed a severe bladder infection. Kidney fuction is slightly
> elevated but he said that was understandable because of the infection
> and not a cause for concern at the moment. The vet is going to
> continue with another day's worth of anti-biotics and IV liquids and
> see how he is tomorrow as needs to clear the blood/pus from his system
> in order to gain better urine test results. He's holding off on x-
> rays, has said that a number of things can cause the infection. If the
> anti-biotics work, then it may be a case of nursing him back to
> health, if they don't then it's x-ray time I guess, depending on how
> expensive treatment will be.
>
> As for the spinal problem, the vet is completely baffled and now
> cannot see how it's related to the bladder infection, he says it's
> very rare, but all he can gather is that the two are completely
> unrelated and just coincidental. He apparently could've had a back
> problem for a while and we just didn't know it until now.
>
> I've had it mentioned to me that some Science Diet MD has been
> recalled, I'll mention it to the vet later and ask what other diet
> options we have. With Clyde being so overweight he needs a really good
> diet food. I shall be posting when Clyde is better to see if you guys
> have any advice on dieting fat cats!
----------
My cats have done great and lost weight on a combination of Purina OM (dry),
which is a prescription weight loss food, and canned food. Again, purrs for
Clyde's complete recovery.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Rene S.
June 6th 07, 03:04 PM
> I've had it mentioned to me that some Science Diet MD has been
> recalled, I'll mention it to the vet later and ask what other diet
> options we have. With Clyde being so overweight he needs a really good
> diet food. I shall be posting when Clyde is better to see if you guys
> have any advice on dieting fat cats!

Hugs and purrs for Clyde. I hope he can come home soon. One of my cats
safely lost a lot of weight on Wellness canned food. For details,
visit his web site: http://community-2.webtv.net/getcathelp/tucker/

I'll also be happy to answer any questions you might have.

Naomi
June 6th 07, 03:18 PM
On 6 Jun, 15:04, "Rene S." > wrote:
> > I've had it mentioned to me that some Science Diet MD has been
> > recalled, I'll mention it to the vet later and ask what other diet
> > options we have. With Clyde being so overweight he needs a really good
> > diet food. I shall be posting when Clyde is better to see if you guys
> > have any advice on dieting fat cats!
>
> Hugs and purrs for Clyde. I hope he can come home soon. One of my cats
> safely lost a lot of weight on Wellness canned food. For details,
> visit his web site:http://community-2.webtv.net/getcathelp/tucker/
>
> I'll also be happy to answer any questions you might have.

Hi Rene,

Thank you for the advice on the food. I will certainly have a chat
with the vet about it when I talk to him later. I was happy with the
MD merely because he'd lost a fair amount of weight in three weeks on
it. BUT I'm not happy at all about only feeding him twice a day (he
goes about fourteen hours between meals!!!) and he's constantly
begging for food. I know that cats are nibblers and should really be
able to eat small amounts regularly, I don't think it's natural for
them to eat two meals so far apart, but I stuck to it on the vet's
advice, he knows more than me!

I do have my reservations about Hills anyway, even when Clyde was on
RD, he didn't lose any considerable weight (what he DID lose he put
right back on).

I'm hoping to hear some good news from the vet later and hopefully
will be bringing him home tomorrow to nurse him myself.

Thanks for showing me Tucker's site, it does give me hope that I can
slim Clyde down into a heathy cat. He too is "big boned" so to speak
and I know his ideal weight is higher than most cats of his breed.

Naomi

cindys
June 6th 07, 03:32 PM
"Rene S." > wrote in message
oups.com...

>> I've had it mentioned to me that some Science Diet MD has been
>> recalled, I'll mention it to the vet later and ask what other diet
>> options we have. With Clyde being so overweight he needs a really good
>> diet food. I shall be posting when Clyde is better to see if you guys
>> have any advice on dieting fat cats!
>
> Hugs and purrs for Clyde. I hope he can come home soon. One of my cats
> safely lost a lot of weight on Wellness canned food. For details,
> visit his web site: http://community-2.webtv.net/getcathelp/tucker/
>
> I'll also be happy to answer any questions you might have.
--------
My cats are currently also on Wellness canned food (in addition to the
Purina OM (overweight management) dry). It's a great quality food. (I think
you were the person who initially recommended it to me?). Admittedly, my
cats also eat Fancy Feast, which is not such a great quality food, but they
love it, so I try to alternate between the two. I have come to believe that
any canned food is preferable to an all-dry diet. Before I was educated on
this group about the differences between canned cat foods, I was giving Alex
and Bullwinkle what I consider to be poor quality canned food (i.e. either
Friskies special diet or the store-brand cat food, both of which are full of
byproducts and fillers and who knows what else), and even on these foods
(which they ate in addition to the Purina OM), they still lost weight and
were in much better condition than they had been previously. Alex's diabetes
went into remission on Purina OM and Friskies/Wegmans brand canned cat food.
But now, I want them to have the good stuff, like Wellness (which is
approximately the same price as Fancy Feast, FTR).
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

cindys
June 6th 07, 03:42 PM
"Naomi" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On 6 Jun, 15:04, "Rene S." > wrote:
>> > I've had it mentioned to me that some Science Diet MD has been
>> > recalled, I'll mention it to the vet later and ask what other diet
>> > options we have. With Clyde being so overweight he needs a really good
>> > diet food. I shall be posting when Clyde is better to see if you guys
>> > have any advice on dieting fat cats!
>>
>> Hugs and purrs for Clyde. I hope he can come home soon. One of my cats
>> safely lost a lot of weight on Wellness canned food. For details,
>> visit his web site:http://community-2.webtv.net/getcathelp/tucker/
>>
>> I'll also be happy to answer any questions you might have.
>
> Hi Rene,
>
> Thank you for the advice on the food. I will certainly have a chat
> with the vet about it when I talk to him later. I was happy with the
> MD merely because he'd lost a fair amount of weight in three weeks on
> it. BUT I'm not happy at all about only feeding him twice a day (he
> goes about fourteen hours between meals!!!) and he's constantly
> begging for food. I know that cats are nibblers and should really be
> able to eat small amounts regularly, I don't think it's natural for
> them to eat two meals so far apart, but I stuck to it on the vet's
> advice, he knows more than me!
>
> I do have my reservations about Hills anyway, even when Clyde was on
> RD, he didn't lose any considerable weight (what he DID lose he put
> right back on).
>
> I'm hoping to hear some good news from the vet later and hopefully
> will be bringing him home tomorrow to nurse him myself.
>
> Thanks for showing me Tucker's site, it does give me hope that I can
> slim Clyde down into a heathy cat. He too is "big boned" so to speak
> and I know his ideal weight is higher than most cats of his breed.
--------
I don't mean to keep sticking my nose in here, but I will tell you that my
cats gained weight on Iams Weight Management. I currently feed them the
canned Wellness or Fancy Feast once or twice a day (around 1.5 to 2 oz of
canned food per day per cat, although your kitty may require more), and I
leave the dry Purina OM out for grazing. I don't see them eating very much
of the dry food though. In the past, they used to eat a lot of dry food. I
have a total of five cats and all of them are currently a healthy weight.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

DianeLeMasson
June 6th 07, 06:14 PM
"Naomi" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> Hi everyone, I just thought I would let everyone know who's interested
> about my poorly moggy.
>
> Thank you for your email, I don't check this account daily which is
> why I've only just seen yours!
>
> I have spoken to the vet this morning who has had Clyde on a drip all
> night and anti-biotics. He has done some preliminary tests which have
> revealed a severe bladder infection. Kidney fuction is slightly
> elevated but he said that was understandable because of the infection
> and not a cause for concern at the moment. The vet is going to
> continue with another day's worth of anti-biotics and IV liquids and
> see how he is tomorrow as needs to clear the blood/pus from his system
> in order to gain better urine test results. He's holding off on x-
> rays, has said that a number of things can cause the infection. If the
> anti-biotics work, then it may be a case of nursing him back to
> health, if they don't then it's x-ray time I guess, depending on how
> expensive treatment will be.
>
> As for the spinal problem, the vet is completely baffled and now
> cannot see how it's related to the bladder infection, he says it's
> very rare, but all he can gather is that the two are completely
> unrelated and just coincidental. He apparently could've had a back
> problem for a while and we just didn't know it until now.
>
> I've had it mentioned to me that some Science Diet MD has been
> recalled, I'll mention it to the vet later and ask what other diet
> options we have. With Clyde being so overweight he needs a really good
> diet food. I shall be posting when Clyde is better to see if you guys
> have any advice on dieting fat cats!
>
> Thanks all for your support/advice/help,
> Naomi

Naomi

I am so relieved for you & for Clyde to hear this new update.
Even though he isn't out of the woods yet it sounds promising.
Was he purely on dry food all this time with no wet food at all?
Having had a male cat myself, my vet advised me not to put him on
total dry food but to break up the feedings with some wet food.
It seems males develop problems with urethral obstructions
on pure dry food. See this site http://www.thepetcenter.com/exa/uo.html
Now this may not be Clyde's problem but it is one of many conditions
connected to bladder infections.
My question to the vet would be if this is purely a severe bladder infection
what could have caused it. Which could be a multi of reasons of
possibilities
but has to be look into so you can eliminate future recurrences.
Hugs sent to Clyde & prayers for speedy recovery.
And a big hug for you for all your efforts and to know your not alone.
Take care.......

Diane

Rene S.
June 6th 07, 07:28 PM
> Hi Rene,
>
> Thank you for the advice on the food. I will certainly have a chat
> with the vet about it when I talk to him later. I was happy with the
> MD merely because he'd lost a fair amount of weight in three weeks on
> it. BUT I'm not happy at all about only feeding him twice a day (he
> goes about fourteen hours between meals!!!) and he's constantly
> begging for food. I know that cats are nibblers and should really be
> able to eat small amounts regularly, I don't think it's natural for
> them to eat two meals so far apart, but I stuck to it on the vet's
> advice, he knows more than me!

Naomi,
I wanted to caution you that your vet might not agree that canned is a
good idea. One of my previous vets said canned food was "bad" for
cats. Sadly, many vets are uneducated in feline nutrition and know
only what Hills tells them. About the two feedings: actually, that's
more like what would happen in the wild. Cats hunt and eat what prey
they can catch, and don't have access to small bits of food throughout
the day. They would eat a meal, rest, and hunt later in the day when
prey was out again.

Here's a good web site about feline nutrition: http://www.catnutrition.org/home.html

Naomi
June 7th 07, 11:14 AM
Firstly, thanks all for your kind comments and more helpful
suggestions. I shall be looking at the websites in depth shortly...

.... I spoke to the vet last night who said that Clyde was doing much
better having had a days worth of IV and antibiotics. He said there
was also less blood in his urine, so things were looking hopeful for
bringing him home today and he said no x-ray needed.

However, today he called me to say that there was more blood this
morning than last night and he really felt that Clyde needs an
ultrasound or x-ray to try to get to the root of the cause. He's not
ruling out bladder stones, BUT he said he couldn't palpate any, but
because of his weight, he couldn't get a proper feel anyway.

He says that he recommends an ultrasound before x-rays as he won't
need to be put under general anesthetic for that. If the ultrasound
doesn't show the root of the problem then he said he'd need to do an x-
ray.

This is going to be one very costly stay at the vet's, but we've gone
this far, we have to carry on. I just dread the vet saying he needs an
operation, because THAT will cost a fortune and my husband will NOT be
happy! If it's going to make Clyde better, then we have to do it and
try to find the cause of the problem so it doesn't happen again.

I will talk to the vet when I see him about diet. I did ask about
whether any Science Diet MD had been recalled in this country, but he
said not, but it had in several other countries. I will ask what our
other options are and see how he feels about canned food.

For now it looks like another day without my big lad, my son (not to
mention myself!) was so pleased at the thought of Clyde coming home
today, I just hope that he doesn't bring it up before bedtime tonight!

Will keep updating as I hear more news.

Thanks again all,
Naomi

cindys
June 7th 07, 01:12 PM
"Naomi" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Firstly, thanks all for your kind comments and more helpful
> suggestions. I shall be looking at the websites in depth shortly...
>
> ... I spoke to the vet last night who said that Clyde was doing much
> better having had a days worth of IV and antibiotics. He said there
> was also less blood in his urine, so things were looking hopeful for
> bringing him home today and he said no x-ray needed.
>
> However, today he called me to say that there was more blood this
> morning than last night and he really felt that Clyde needs an
> ultrasound or x-ray to try to get to the root of the cause. He's not
> ruling out bladder stones, BUT he said he couldn't palpate any, but
> because of his weight, he couldn't get a proper feel anyway.
>
> He says that he recommends an ultrasound before x-rays as he won't
> need to be put under general anesthetic for that. If the ultrasound
> doesn't show the root of the problem then he said he'd need to do an x-
> ray.
>
> This is going to be one very costly stay at the vet's, but we've gone
> this far, we have to carry on. I just dread the vet saying he needs an
> operation, because THAT will cost a fortune and my husband will NOT be
> happy! If it's going to make Clyde better, then we have to do it and
> try to find the cause of the problem so it doesn't happen again.

Many years ago, we adopted a 3-year-old dog, after not having been told that
three months earlier, the dog had been hit by a car and sustained internal
injuries. These had been left untreated as he was in the care of a
"collector" (a person whose house is illegally filled with animals - this
woman had about 20 or 30 dogs and cats, and she was genuinely trying to take
care of them. They were all spayed and neutered and well-fed, but there was
no money for catastrophic medical care). As soon as we got the dog home, we
saw his breathing was labored. We took him to our vet who told us that the
dog should have had surgery three months earlier and that his diaphragm was
herniated and basically it was only a matter of time before his intestine
would strangulate and the dog would die a horrible death. She said we either
needed to have the surgery or euthanize, but the dog could not go on like
that. (We had had this dog for all of two days when this conversation was
taking place). My husband told me that we couldn't afford the surgery. I
told him to phone the vet and "tell her to kill the dog." Of course, the dog
was on the operating table the next morning. Alvin (the dog) subsequently
developed some complications, and it appeared that a second surgical
procedure might be required. Again, my husband said we couldn't afford it.
Again, I told him to phone the vet and tell her to "kill the dog." To make a
long story short, the dog did manage to recover without requiring a second
procedure, but he was in the hospital for three weeks and the bill was over
$1500. That was over 15 years ago, and we were barely making ends meet. I
charged the bill on a credit card, and it took us over a year to pay it off.
But...We had our wonderful Alvin for almost 12 years (until he was nearly 15
years old and just couldn't go on anymore). Your husband will complain about
the money, but he'll get over it.

> I will talk to the vet when I see him about diet. I did ask about
> whether any Science Diet MD had been recalled in this country, but he
> said not, but it had in several other countries. I will ask what our
> other options are and see how he feels about canned food.
>
> For now it looks like another day without my big lad, my son (not to
> mention myself!) was so pleased at the thought of Clyde coming home
> today, I just hope that he doesn't bring it up before bedtime tonight!

Again, many purrs for Clyde's complete recovery. Thank you for continuing to
update us.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Rene S.
June 7th 07, 02:22 PM
I hope the ultrasound goes well, and that Clyde can come home soon.
It's so stressful for cats to be at the vets for an extended period of
time.

Once he's home and recovered, I urge you to get him on a weight-loss
plan. At his size, he's at a high risk for diabetes, which you don't
need to worry about. Here's an article about feline diabetes:
http://community-2.webtv.net/getcathelp/diabetes/

As for the money, I know exactly where you're coming from. . the cost
of those tests add up quickly! I remember spending a large sum on my
Tucker, who had crystals inside his bladder wall, and later developed
pneumonia. After many trips to the vet and emergency vet, I was
feeling depressed about all the money I'd spent on him. The night
after he came home from the e-vets, he was weak and tired, but when I
went to bed, he made an effort to jump into bed next to me (I had to
help him), and purred for hours. I said to him: "paid in full." I know
Clyde will return every penny you've spent, and then some, by his
affection, making it all worthwhile!

Rene

Naomi
June 7th 07, 02:30 PM
On 7 Jun, 14:22, "Rene S." > wrote:
> I hope the ultrasound goes well, and that Clyde can come home soon.
> It's so stressful for cats to be at the vets for an extended period of
> time.
>
> Once he's home and recovered, I urge you to get him on a weight-loss
> plan. At his size, he's at a high risk for diabetes, which you don't
> need to worry about. Here's an article about feline diabetes:http://community-2.webtv.net/getcathelp/diabetes/

Thanks for that... He's on a weight loss plan from the vet (the
Science Diet MD) and he now gets weighed every month at the vet's.
He's lost quite a bit in a short time.

> As for the money, I know exactly where you're coming from. . the cost
> of those tests add up quickly! I remember spending a large sum on my
> Tucker, who had crystals inside his bladder wall, and later developed
> pneumonia. After many trips to the vet and emergency vet, I was
> feeling depressed about all the money I'd spent on him. The night
> after he came home from the e-vets, he was weak and tired, but when I
> went to bed, he made an effort to jump into bed next to me (I had to
> help him), and purred for hours. I said to him: "paid in full." I know
> Clyde will return every penny you've spent, and then some, by his
> affection, making it all worthwhile!
>
> Rene

Aww, that's so sweet Rene. I know Clyde will show me how grateful he
is in his own way (unlike the hubby :-P). I wish he was allowed on our
bed, but he's not even allowed in the bedroom due to my husband's
allergies :-(

He's a very affectionate cat and always has a soft purr and nuzzle for
his Mummy :-)

I'm off to post another update as I just heard from the vet.

Take care and thanks again,
Naomi

Naomi
June 7th 07, 02:39 PM
I just heard from the vet, who has managed to do the ultrasound today.
He started by saying "I'm afraid it's not good news" My heart sank :-
( He proceeded to tell me that Clyde has a large tumour in the base of
his bladder and lots of blood clots are leaking from the area. The
word "tumour" is awful, having had all our (mine and my mother's) cats
(barring one who died from diabetes) die from cancer. Just lost one to
intestinal cancer in February.

Anyway, he said that this is a common kind of tumour (he gave me the
name, but I don't remember it) and he's seen success with a certain
drug (again, can't remember the name!) which he is starting Clyde on
tomorrow (has to be ordered in). In the meantime he said he'd like to
keep Clyde in on a drip to try to flush out the blood clots. So
tonight will be my third night without my big lad.

Clyde's only been back living with me for a few weeks (I think I
explained about this before, but if I haven't, ask me!) but the house
already seems so empty without him, even the dog is looking for him!
He's a like a big cuddley teddy-bear, lets me pick him up and coddle
him and even lets me use him as a pillow, I can't WAIT to get him home
so I can give him all the attention, care and love he needs right now.

More updates as they come in...

Take care all,
Naomi

Gail
June 7th 07, 02:52 PM
My thoughts and prayers are with Clyde. Keep us posted.
Gail
"Naomi" > wrote in message
ups.com...
>I just heard from the vet, who has managed to do the ultrasound today.
> He started by saying "I'm afraid it's not good news" My heart sank :-
> ( He proceeded to tell me that Clyde has a large tumour in the base of
> his bladder and lots of blood clots are leaking from the area. The
> word "tumour" is awful, having had all our (mine and my mother's) cats
> (barring one who died from diabetes) die from cancer. Just lost one to
> intestinal cancer in February.
>
> Anyway, he said that this is a common kind of tumour (he gave me the
> name, but I don't remember it) and he's seen success with a certain
> drug (again, can't remember the name!) which he is starting Clyde on
> tomorrow (has to be ordered in). In the meantime he said he'd like to
> keep Clyde in on a drip to try to flush out the blood clots. So
> tonight will be my third night without my big lad.
>
> Clyde's only been back living with me for a few weeks (I think I
> explained about this before, but if I haven't, ask me!) but the house
> already seems so empty without him, even the dog is looking for him!
> He's a like a big cuddley teddy-bear, lets me pick him up and coddle
> him and even lets me use him as a pillow, I can't WAIT to get him home
> so I can give him all the attention, care and love he needs right now.
>
> More updates as they come in...
>
> Take care all,
> Naomi

cindys
June 7th 07, 03:53 PM
"Naomi" > wrote in message
ups.com...
>I just heard from the vet, who has managed to do the ultrasound today.
> He started by saying "I'm afraid it's not good news" My heart sank :-
> ( He proceeded to tell me that Clyde has a large tumour in the base of
> his bladder and lots of blood clots are leaking from the area. The
> word "tumour" is awful, having had all our (mine and my mother's) cats
> (barring one who died from diabetes) die from cancer. Just lost one to
> intestinal cancer in February.

I'm so sorry to hear this Naomi.

> Anyway, he said that this is a common kind of tumour (he gave me the
> name, but I don't remember it) and he's seen success with a certain
> drug (again, can't remember the name!) which he is starting Clyde on
> tomorrow (has to be ordered in).

That sounds promising.

> In the meantime he said he'd like to
> keep Clyde in on a drip to try to flush out the blood clots. So
> tonight will be my third night without my big lad.
>
> Clyde's only been back living with me for a few weeks (I think I
> explained about this before, but if I haven't, ask me!) but the house
> already seems so empty without him, even the dog is looking for him!
> He's a like a big cuddley teddy-bear, lets me pick him up and coddle
> him and even lets me use him as a pillow, I can't WAIT to get him home
> so I can give him all the attention, care and love he needs right now.
> More updates as they come in...

Again, you and Clyde are in our thoughts and purrs. I hope he's able to come
home soon.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Rene S.
June 7th 07, 05:22 PM
On Jun 7, 8:39 am, Naomi > wrote:
> I just heard from the vet, who has managed to do the ultrasound today.
> He started by saying "I'm afraid it's not good news" My heart sank :-
> ( He proceeded to tell me that Clyde has a large tumour in the base of
> his bladder and lots of blood clots are leaking from the area. The
> word "tumour" is awful, having had all our (mine and my mother's) cats
> (barring one who died from diabetes) die from cancer. Just lost one to
> intestinal cancer in February.

OMG, I'm so sorry! I hope that the medication they will give him will
help. Purrs coming your way from my two boys! I hope he's home soon,

Rene

ps I'm glad you're working on his weight with the vet. Instead of
bringing him to the vets, it might be worth buying a digital postal
scale. I did and it's been a great investment.

Shadow Walker
June 7th 07, 05:40 PM
Huggs to you and I will keep you all in my prayers.

"Naomi" > wrote in message
ups.com...
>I just heard from the vet, who has managed to do the ultrasound today.
> He started by saying "I'm afraid it's not good news" My heart sank :-
> ( He proceeded to tell me that Clyde has a large tumour in the base of
> his bladder and lots of blood clots are leaking from the area. The
> word "tumour" is awful, having had all our (mine and my mother's) cats
> (barring one who died from diabetes) die from cancer. Just lost one to
> intestinal cancer in February.
>
> Anyway, he said that this is a common kind of tumour (he gave me the
> name, but I don't remember it) and he's seen success with a certain
> drug (again, can't remember the name!) which he is starting Clyde on
> tomorrow (has to be ordered in). In the meantime he said he'd like to
> keep Clyde in on a drip to try to flush out the blood clots. So
> tonight will be my third night without my big lad.
>
> Clyde's only been back living with me for a few weeks (I think I
> explained about this before, but if I haven't, ask me!) but the house
> already seems so empty without him, even the dog is looking for him!
> He's a like a big cuddley teddy-bear, lets me pick him up and coddle
> him and even lets me use him as a pillow, I can't WAIT to get him home
> so I can give him all the attention, care and love he needs right now.
>
> More updates as they come in...
>
> Take care all,
> Naomi

Rhonda
June 8th 07, 06:14 AM
Naomi, good luck to Clyde. I hope it goes well.

Please visit him as often as possible while he's at the vet. When my cat
was in for a week -- I visited twice a day. It really helped with her
spirits. They have to know they have not been abandoned.

Let us know how he's doing,

Rhonda

Naomi wrote:
> I just heard from the vet, who has managed to do the ultrasound today.
> He started by saying "I'm afraid it's not good news" My heart sank :-
> ( He proceeded to tell me that Clyde has a large tumour in the base of
> his bladder and lots of blood clots are leaking from the area. The
> word "tumour" is awful, having had all our (mine and my mother's) cats
> (barring one who died from diabetes) die from cancer. Just lost one to
> intestinal cancer in February.
>
> Anyway, he said that this is a common kind of tumour (he gave me the
> name, but I don't remember it) and he's seen success with a certain
> drug (again, can't remember the name!) which he is starting Clyde on
> tomorrow (has to be ordered in). In the meantime he said he'd like to
> keep Clyde in on a drip to try to flush out the blood clots. So
> tonight will be my third night without my big lad.
>
> Clyde's only been back living with me for a few weeks (I think I
> explained about this before, but if I haven't, ask me!) but the house
> already seems so empty without him, even the dog is looking for him!
> He's a like a big cuddley teddy-bear, lets me pick him up and coddle
> him and even lets me use him as a pillow, I can't WAIT to get him home
> so I can give him all the attention, care and love he needs right now.
>
> More updates as they come in...
>
> Take care all,
> Naomi

sheelagh
June 8th 07, 01:58 PM
On 7 Jun, 14:39, Naomi > wrote:
> I just heard from the vet, who has managed to do the ultrasound today.
> He started by saying "I'm afraid it's not good news" My heart sank :-
> ( He proceeded to tell me that Clyde has a large tumour in the base of
> his bladder and lots of blood clots are leaking from the area. The
> word "tumour" is awful, having had all our (mine and my mother's) cats
> (barring one who died from diabetes) die from cancer. Just lost one to
> intestinal cancer in February.
>
> Anyway, he said that this is a common kind of tumour (he gave me the
> name, but I don't remember it) and he's seen success with a certain
> drug (again, can't remember the name!) which he is starting Clyde on
> tomorrow (has to be ordered in). In the meantime he said he'd like to
> keep Clyde in on a drip to try to flush out the blood clots. So
> tonight will be my third night without my big lad.
>
> Clyde's only been back living with me for a few weeks (I think I
> explained about this before, but if I haven't, ask me!) but the house
> already seems so empty without him, even the dog is looking for him!
> He's a like a big cuddley teddy-bear, lets me pick him up and coddle
> him and even lets me use him as a pillow, I can't WAIT to get him home
> so I can give him all the attention, care and love he needs right now.
>
> More updates as they come in...
>
> Take care all,
> Naomi

Thank you so much for keeping us updated. I know it must be dreadful
without him, so we are sending you purrs of comfort & purrs to heal
too...
Best Wishes,
S;o)

Rene S.
June 8th 07, 04:43 PM
On Jun 8, 12:14 am, Rhonda > wrote:
> Naomi, good luck toClyde. I hope it goes well.
>
> Please visit him as often as possible while he's at the vet. When my cat
> was in for a week -- I visited twice a day. It really helped with her
> spirits. They have to know they have not been abandoned.
>
> Let us know how he's doing,

I agree!! My Tucker was in for two weeks once, and I went as often as
possible too. Ask if you can leave a familiar blanket or toy there so
he can have your smells with him.

DianeLeMasson
June 9th 07, 04:12 AM
"Naomi" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> I just heard from the vet, who has managed to do the ultrasound today.
> He started by saying "I'm afraid it's not good news" My heart sank :-
> ( He proceeded to tell me that Clyde has a large tumour in the base of
> his bladder and lots of blood clots are leaking from the area. The
> word "tumour" is awful, having had all our (mine and my mother's) cats
> (barring one who died from diabetes) die from cancer. Just lost one to
> intestinal cancer in February.
>
> Anyway, he said that this is a common kind of tumour (he gave me the
> name, but I don't remember it) and he's seen success with a certain
> drug (again, can't remember the name!) which he is starting Clyde on
> tomorrow (has to be ordered in). In the meantime he said he'd like to
> keep Clyde in on a drip to try to flush out the blood clots. So
> tonight will be my third night without my big lad.
>
> Clyde's only been back living with me for a few weeks (I think I
> explained about this before, but if I haven't, ask me!) but the house
> already seems so empty without him, even the dog is looking for him!
> He's a like a big cuddley teddy-bear, lets me pick him up and coddle
> him and even lets me use him as a pillow, I can't WAIT to get him home
> so I can give him all the attention, care and love he needs right now.
>
> More updates as they come in...
>
> Take care all,
> Naomi

Naomi

My heart goes out for you & Clyde with this latest news.
I agree with what had been suggested to you on spending as
much time with Clyde, if allowed, while he is recovering at the vet's.
When my kitty Tye had her surgery they let me bring her food & feed
her. She only like one brand which they didn't have & wouldn't eat.
It didn't matter if we left a few cans so they could feed her, she would
only eat when we were there. She was more happy to see us than the food.
I know, from what you said earlier you don't drive but if you can get there
as much as you can it will be helpful to Clyde to see you. It would help
keep his spirits up which would help with his recovery but it will help you
as well to be with him.
Again my prayers are with you & Clyde.

Diane