PDA

View Full Version : Moving with cats

saffron
June 9th 07, 12:16 AM
We're moving to a new location with our 2 indoor/outdoor cats. What's
the best way to acclimate them to their new environment?
thanks.
Nanette

bobblespin[_2_]
June 9th 07, 01:47 AM
saffron > wrote in news:1181344574.687260.271410
@w5g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:

> We're moving to a new location with our 2 indoor/outdoor cats. What's
> the best way to acclimate them to their new environment?
> thanks.
> Nanette

It depends on each cat. I've had some who hide under the bed for 3 days,
only coming out at night to eat and use the litter box, and I've had others
who just love to explore every nook and settle in right away.

In the case of the one who hides, let him/her come out when ready, giving
lots of sweet talking and petting if you're able to reach the cat where it
is hiding. Try and minimize the noise and commotion near that cat.

Bobble

--
Have you hugged your cat today?

Sonny's web page --> http://web.ncf.ca/ai151/index2.html

Fred G. Mackey[_2_]
June 9th 07, 05:02 AM
saffron wrote:
> We're moving to a new location with our 2 indoor/outdoor cats. What's
> the best way to acclimate them to their new environment?

Let them out of their carrier. I've moved twice with my furry feline
and during one of those moves, had to stop at a hotel along the way.

She was at home in each place within minutes of being let out of her
carrier.

It took me more time to acclimate myself to my new environment than it
did her.

> thanks.
> Nanette

saffron
June 9th 07, 01:41 PM
On Jun 9, 12:02 am, "Fred G. Mackey" > wrote:
> saffron wrote:
> > We're moving to a new location with our 2 indoor/outdoor cats. What's
> > the best way to acclimate them to their new environment?
>
> Let them out of their carrier. I've moved twice with my furry feline
> and during one of those moves, had to stop at a hotel along the way.
>
> She was at home in each place within minutes of being let out of her
> carrier.
>
> It took me more time to acclimate myself to my new environment than it
> did her.
>
> > thanks.
> > Nanette

Thank you for the indoor advice, however, I'm more concerned about
letting them outside since I don't want them to bolt and disappear.
Any suggestions about that?

RunningScissors
June 9th 07, 02:44 PM
saffron wrote:

> On Jun 9, 12:02 am, "Fred G. Mackey" > wrote:
>
>>saffron wrote:
>>
>>>We're moving to a new location with our 2 indoor/outdoor cats. What's
>>>the best way to acclimate them to their new environment?
>>
>>Let them out of their carrier. I've moved twice with my furry feline
>>and during one of those moves, had to stop at a hotel along the way.
>>
>>She was at home in each place within minutes of being let out of her
>>carrier.
>>
>>It took me more time to acclimate myself to my new environment than it
>>did her.
>>

>>>thanks.
>>>Nanette
>

> Thank you for the indoor advice, however, I'm more concerned about
> letting them outside since I don't want them to bolt and disappear.
> Any suggestions about that?

Convert them to indoors only cats.

barb
June 9th 07, 03:06 PM
Cats do have a way of bolting and disappearing which is why I've never let
my cats run around outside. My cat either goes out on the fenced in deck or
goes out in the front on a leash.

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,

Spot
June 9th 07, 04:18 PM
YES,,,,don't let them out. Chances are they will try and cross country and
return home. Cats are 100% safer being kept inside. They may fuss and
carry on for a while but will get used to it.

Celeste

"saffron" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Jun 9, 12:02 am, "Fred G. Mackey" > wrote:
>> saffron wrote:
>> > We're moving to a new location with our 2 indoor/outdoor cats. What's
>> > the best way to acclimate them to their new environment?
>>
>> Let them out of their carrier. I've moved twice with my furry feline
>> and during one of those moves, had to stop at a hotel along the way.
>>
>> She was at home in each place within minutes of being let out of her
>> carrier.
>>
>> It took me more time to acclimate myself to my new environment than it
>> did her.
>>
>> > thanks.
>> > Nanette
>
> Thank you for the indoor advice, however, I'm more concerned about
> letting them outside since I don't want them to bolt and disappear.
> Any suggestions about that?

saffron
June 9th 07, 04:56 PM
On Jun 9, 11:18 am, "Spot" > wrote:
> YES,,,,don't let them out. Chances are they will try and cross country and
> return home. Cats are 100% safer being kept inside. They may fuss and
> carry on for a while but will get used to it.
>
> Celeste
>
> "saffron" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...

> >> Let them out of their carrier. I've moved twice with my furry feline
> >> and during one of those moves, had to stop at a hotel along the way.
>
> >> She was at home in each place within minutes of being let out of her
> >> carrier.
>
> >> It took me more time to acclimate myself to my new environment than it
> >> did her.

> > Thank you for the indoor advice, however, I'm more concerned about
> > letting them outside since I don't want them to bolt and disappear.
> > Any suggestions about that?

I plan to try a leash until they've marked their territory and feel
comfortable in the new environment.

June 9th 07, 10:44 PM
saffron > wrote:

>Thank you for the indoor advice, however, I'm more concerned about
>letting them outside since I don't want them to bolt and disappear.
>Any suggestions about that?

Yeah - don't, because that's is what they will do.

-mhd

reeper[_2_]
June 10th 07, 02:14 AM
> wrote in message
> Yeah - don't, because that's is what they will do.

yeah, they're not too bright sometimes

actually, barring the scent of a woman, I think cats prefer to stay indoors.

they want to go out when... the litter box is full, when the food is
mediocre, when it's too cold or hot...

reeper[_2_]
June 10th 07, 02:15 AM
"reeper" > wrote in message

> they want to go out when... the litter box is full, when the food is
> mediocre, when it's too cold or hot...

I mean when it's too cold or hot in the house. they think outdoors might be
better

Gail Futoran
June 13th 07, 01:25 PM
"saffron" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Jun 9, 12:02 am, "Fred G. Mackey" > wrote:
>> saffron wrote:
>> > We're moving to a new location with our 2 indoor/outdoor cats.
>> > What's
>> > the best way to acclimate them to their new environment?
>>
>> Let them out of their carrier. I've moved twice with my furry
>> feline
>> and during one of those moves, had to stop at a hotel along the
>> way.
>>
>> She was at home in each place within minutes of being let out of
>> her
>> carrier.
>>
>> It took me more time to acclimate myself to my new environment than
>> it
>> did her.
>>
>> > thanks.
>> > Nanette
>
> Thank you for the indoor advice, however, I'm more concerned about
> letting them outside since I don't want them to bolt and disappear.
> Any suggestions about that?

Back when my cats were indoor/outdoor cats,
I would keep them inside for at least a month
in the new location. When I did let them out,
I would be there to supervise them for another
week or so. I.e., I wouldn't let them out for
long at first.

All my indoor/outdoor cats were spayed
females. They never strayed beyond the
local neighborhood, and I called them in
at night. All my cats now are indoor cats,
although I do let them out occasionally
under strict supervision, mostly so they
can eat grass and roll on the concrete
driveway.

Gail F.