PDA

View Full Version : followup to "Cats changed Bowel Habits"

Clyde
June 9th 07, 01:36 PM
Earlier this week each of my 12 y/o females had a complete physical. This
included the hands on checkup as well as blood and urine sample draws.

The Vet advised that both cats were in remarkable condition for their age.
She said that the cats both needed to have their teeth cleaned as they have
some minor gengivitus. She also said that she suspected a minor kidney
infection and asked us to buy a few weeks supply of a low protein
prescription cat food. This we've done and we will follow her
instructions.

A few days before they saw the Vet. their bowel started to return to normal
(soft and smells like crap!), and their water consumption returned to what
it used to be.

One or both of them still urinates on a throw rug that is only 18 inches
from one of their liter boxes.

I think I will move this liter box over on the throw rug at night to see if
this helps.

Our liter boxes are the type that have removable covers on them. What is
this groups view on covered liter boxes?

Thanks

Clyde

Gail
June 9th 07, 01:50 PM
Take the covers off is my advice. Some cats do not like the covered boxes
and they keep in odors.
Gail
"Clyde" > wrote in message
> Earlier this week each of my 12 y/o females had a complete physical. This
> included the hands on checkup as well as blood and urine sample draws.
>
> The Vet advised that both cats were in remarkable condition for their age.
> She said that the cats both needed to have their teeth cleaned as they
> have
> some minor gengivitus. She also said that she suspected a minor kidney
> infection and asked us to buy a few weeks supply of a low protein
> prescription cat food. This we've done and we will follow her
> instructions.
>
> A few days before they saw the Vet. their bowel started to return to
> normal
> (soft and smells like crap!), and their water consumption returned to what
> it used to be.
>
> One or both of them still urinates on a throw rug that is only 18 inches
> from one of their liter boxes.
>
> I think I will move this liter box over on the throw rug at night to see
> if
> this helps.
>
> Our liter boxes are the type that have removable covers on them. What is
> this groups view on covered liter boxes?
>
> Thanks
>
> Clyde

blkcatgal
June 9th 07, 02:22 PM
Good idea to move the litter box to the rug that the cat is urinating on.
As far as covered boxes, my cats hated the covered box.....I would remove
the lid to see if it helps the problem.

Sue

"Clyde" > wrote in message
> Earlier this week each of my 12 y/o females had a complete physical. This
> included the hands on checkup as well as blood and urine sample draws.
>
> The Vet advised that both cats were in remarkable condition for their age.
> She said that the cats both needed to have their teeth cleaned as they
> have
> some minor gengivitus. She also said that she suspected a minor kidney
> infection and asked us to buy a few weeks supply of a low protein
> prescription cat food. This we've done and we will follow her
> instructions.
>
> A few days before they saw the Vet. their bowel started to return to
> normal
> (soft and smells like crap!), and their water consumption returned to what
> it used to be.
>
> One or both of them still urinates on a throw rug that is only 18 inches
> from one of their liter boxes.
>
> I think I will move this liter box over on the throw rug at night to see
> if
> this helps.
>
> Our liter boxes are the type that have removable covers on them. What is
> this groups view on covered liter boxes?
>
> Thanks
>
> Clyde

Clyde
June 9th 07, 04:06 PM
"Gail" > wrote in
nk.net:

> Take the covers off is my advice. Some cats do not like the covered
> boxes and they keep in odors.
> Gail

We are going to experiment with the box covers off, but our cats have been
using covered boxes for 12 years now. Maybe they now prefer an open box.

Clyde

Clyde
June 9th 07, 04:10 PM
> Good idea to move the litter box to the rug that the cat is urinating
> on. As far as covered boxes, my cats hated the covered box.....I would
> remove the lid to see if it helps the problem.
>
> Sue

I can move the box at night, but the rug they like to urinate on is right
in front of the door going to our garage.

I will both move the box at night and take the cover off of this box to see
if they like this setup better.

Thanks,

Clyde

Spot
June 9th 07, 04:28 PM
Take the covers off and let them off. I know my cats will have no part of
them. Also invest in another litter box. Plus are you cleaning the box
twice a day if not do so cats don't like dirty boxes.

Celeste

"Clyde" > wrote in message
> Earlier this week each of my 12 y/o females had a complete physical. This
> included the hands on checkup as well as blood and urine sample draws.
>
> The Vet advised that both cats were in remarkable condition for their age.
> She said that the cats both needed to have their teeth cleaned as they
> have
> some minor gengivitus. She also said that she suspected a minor kidney
> infection and asked us to buy a few weeks supply of a low protein
> prescription cat food. This we've done and we will follow her
> instructions.
>
> A few days before they saw the Vet. their bowel started to return to
> normal
> (soft and smells like crap!), and their water consumption returned to what
> it used to be.
>
> One or both of them still urinates on a throw rug that is only 18 inches
> from one of their liter boxes.
>
> I think I will move this liter box over on the throw rug at night to see
> if
> this helps.
>
> Our liter boxes are the type that have removable covers on them. What is
> this groups view on covered liter boxes?
>
> Thanks
>
> Clyde

sheelagh
June 10th 07, 02:18 PM
On 9 Jun, 13:36, Clyde > wrote:
> Earlier this week each of my 12 y/o females had a complete physical. This
> included the hands on checkup as well as blood and urine sample draws.
>
> The Vet advised that both cats were in remarkable condition for their age.
> She said that the cats both needed to have their teeth cleaned as they have
> some minor gengivitus. She also said that she suspected a minor kidney
> infection and asked us to buy a few weeks supply of a low protein
> prescription cat food. This we've done and we will follow her
> instructions.
>
> A few days before they saw the Vet. their bowel started to return to normal
> (soft and smells like crap!), and their water consumption returned to what
> it used to be.
>
> One or both of them still urinates on a throw rug that is only 18 inches
> from one of their liter boxes.
>
> I think I will move this liter box over on the throw rug at night to see if
> this helps.
>
> Our liter boxes are the type that have removable covers on them. What is
> this groups view on covered liter boxes?
>
> Thanks
>
> Clyde

Most cats instinctively like to be able to see what is going on around
them, even when using the litter box. The reason for this is that they
might/ could be attacked whilst using it. With no cover on, kitty will
have more confidence in using it, & eventually you should in theory @
least, be able to move your litter box back to a more appropriate
location, & one day maybe even put the cover back on if this what you
wish to do. I must stress that you have to go with kitty, rather than
V.V.
Best Wishes,
S;o)

Clyde
June 11th 07, 01:40 PM
> Most cats instinctively like to be able to see what is going on around
> them, even when using the litter box. The reason for this is that they
> might/ could be attacked whilst using it. With no cover on, kitty will
> have more confidence in using it, & eventually you should in theory @
> least, be able to move your litter box back to a more appropriate
> location, & one day maybe even put the cover back on if this what you
> wish to do. I must stress that you have to go with kitty, rather than
> V.V.
> Best Wishes,

I took the cover off of one box and left the cover on the other box for a
few days , and they did not use the uncovered box at all. I think that
since they have had a covered box their entire life with us that they think
a covered box is where they need to do their business.

So far, they haven't urinated anywhere other than the appropriate places
since we placed a box on their favorite throw rug.

Thanks for your input.

Clyde

Clyde
June 18th 07, 08:14 PM
So far, they haven't urinated anywhere other than the appropriate
> places since we placed a box on their favorite throw rug.
>
> Thanks for your input.
>
> Clyde

Once again, one or both of them has chosen to urinate on their favorite
throw rug. They did this even when the liter box was sitting on the throw
rug.

I have noticed that they do this generally when I have either replaced the
liter in the box or have removed the soiled liter and replaced it with
fresh liter.

Seems like one or both of them does not like to do their thing on clean
liter.

Is this a sign of senility?

Clyde