PDA

View Full Version : kitten peeing problem

kbeebs
June 10th 07, 03:31 AM
I am having an issue with my new kitten. She has access to her litter box,
and knows where it is, but she will occasionally pee on the tile floor in
front on my door. I will break out the squirt bottle and then take her to
the litter box, but it doesn't seem to help. It has been years since I had a
kitten, and I am not used to training them! Can anyone help? Any

Gail
June 10th 07, 03:34 AM
You should have two boxes for the one kitten. The boxes should have low
sides and no hoods on them. If the kitten is very young, she may have
problems remembering where the box is. She may need to be contained in a
smaller space if she is very young. Also, if this continues, she should see
a vet to rule out a urinary tract infection. Don't squirt her with a water
bottle. This will only make her afraid of you.
Gail
"kbeebs" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
>I am having an issue with my new kitten. She has access to her litter box,
> and knows where it is, but she will occasionally pee on the tile floor in
> front on my door. I will break out the squirt bottle and then take her to
> the litter box, but it doesn't seem to help. It has been years since I
> had a
> kitten, and I am not used to training them! Can anyone help? Any

kbeebs
June 10th 07, 03:39 AM
She usually is in a smaller room during the day, and her litter box is
considerably small. Do you recommend putting a second litter box where she
likes to "go?"

Gail wrote:
>You should have two boxes for the one kitten. The boxes should have low
>sides and no hoods on them. If the kitten is very young, she may have
>problems remembering where the box is. She may need to be contained in a
>smaller space if she is very young. Also, if this continues, she should see
>a vet to rule out a urinary tract infection. Don't squirt her with a water
>bottle. This will only make her afraid of you.
>Gail
>>I am having an issue with my new kitten. She has access to her litter box,
>> and knows where it is, but she will occasionally pee on the tile floor in
>[quoted text clipped - 3 lines]
>> kitten, and I am not used to training them! Can anyone help? Any
>> suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Matthew
June 10th 07, 03:52 AM
For now yes Gail has some ideas that need to be addressed the water
bottle is not a choice for right now until the furball has a medical
checkout and gets older

What type of litter are you using also. What breed of kitten is it

I had a cat that had problems with it eye sight where it could not tell
depth it used to do this also

"kbeebs" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> She usually is in a smaller room during the day, and her litter box is
> considerably small. Do you recommend putting a second litter box where she
> likes to "go?"
>
> Gail wrote:
>>You should have two boxes for the one kitten. The boxes should have low
>>sides and no hoods on them. If the kitten is very young, she may have
>>problems remembering where the box is. She may need to be contained in a
>>smaller space if she is very young. Also, if this continues, she should
>>see
>>a vet to rule out a urinary tract infection. Don't squirt her with a water
>>bottle. This will only make her afraid of you.
>>Gail
>>>I am having an issue with my new kitten. She has access to her litter
>>>box,
>>> and knows where it is, but she will occasionally pee on the tile floor
>>> in
>>[quoted text clipped - 3 lines]
>>> kitten, and I am not used to training them! Can anyone help? Any
>>> suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Gail
June 10th 07, 03:56 AM
Yes, I would try that.
Gail
"kbeebs" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> She usually is in a smaller room during the day, and her litter box is
> considerably small. Do you recommend putting a second litter box where she
> likes to "go?"
>
> Gail wrote:
>>You should have two boxes for the one kitten. The boxes should have low
>>sides and no hoods on them. If the kitten is very young, she may have
>>problems remembering where the box is. She may need to be contained in a
>>smaller space if she is very young. Also, if this continues, she should
>>see
>>a vet to rule out a urinary tract infection. Don't squirt her with a water
>>bottle. This will only make her afraid of you.
>>Gail
>>>I am having an issue with my new kitten. She has access to her litter
>>>box,
>>> and knows where it is, but she will occasionally pee on the tile floor
>>> in
>>[quoted text clipped - 3 lines]
>>> kitten, and I am not used to training them! Can anyone help? Any
>>> suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

kbeebs
June 10th 07, 05:30 AM
My furball uses "Fresh step" litter. I'm not sure her breed - she's a barn
cat I got from a friend of a friend. Why do I keep getting a response that
water is bad? It's something they don't like, so I thought they would learn
from it.

Matthew wrote:
>For now yes Gail has some ideas that need to be addressed the water
>bottle is not a choice for right now until the furball has a medical
>checkout and gets older
>
>What type of litter are you using also. What breed of kitten is it
>
>I had a cat that had problems with it eye sight where it could not tell
>depth it used to do this also
>
>> She usually is in a smaller room during the day, and her litter box is
>> considerably small. Do you recommend putting a second litter box where she
>[quoted text clipped - 15 lines]

Matthew
June 10th 07, 06:00 AM
"kbeebs" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> My furball uses "Fresh step" litter. I'm not sure her breed - she's a
> barn
> cat I got from a friend of a friend. Why do I keep getting a response
> that
> water is bad? It's something they don't like, so I thought they would
> learn
> from it.

To young to learn just yet and if it is a medical problem than you are
causing a problem

When a cat is doing it on purpose than it can be used but right now it could
be medical not behavioral plus the age of the kitten

IMO when it gets a little older there are better methods than the squirt
bottle such as marbles in a coffee can. If I used a squirt bottle on Rumble
I would be dealing with a nasty response where I sleep Rumble and a few
other of my cats could care less if you squirted them. they would get
revenge if daddy was mean but they hate the coffee can

> Matthew wrote:
>>For now yes Gail has some ideas that need to be addressed the water
>>bottle is not a choice for right now until the furball has a medical
>>checkout and gets older
>>
>>What type of litter are you using also. What breed of kitten is it
>>
>>I had a cat that had problems with it eye sight where it could not tell
>>depth it used to do this also
>>
>>> She usually is in a smaller room during the day, and her litter box is
>>> considerably small. Do you recommend putting a second litter box where
>>> she
>>[quoted text clipped - 15 lines]

Spot
June 10th 07, 08:33 AM
Water is used for issues such as getting on counters NOT for litter
training. You are accomplishing nothing by squirting her where she pees on
the floor if you continue she will start hiding and peeing in other places.

Celeste

"kbeebs" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> My furball uses "Fresh step" litter. I'm not sure her breed - she's a
> barn
> cat I got from a friend of a friend. Why do I keep getting a response
> that
> water is bad? It's something they don't like, so I thought they would
> learn
> from it.
>
> Matthew wrote:
>>For now yes Gail has some ideas that need to be addressed the water
>>bottle is not a choice for right now until the furball has a medical
>>checkout and gets older
>>
>>What type of litter are you using also. What breed of kitten is it
>>
>>I had a cat that had problems with it eye sight where it could not tell
>>depth it used to do this also
>>
>>> She usually is in a smaller room during the day, and her litter box is
>>> considerably small. Do you recommend putting a second litter box where
>>> she
>>[quoted text clipped - 15 lines]

sheelagh
June 10th 07, 02:04 PM
On 10 Jun, 05:30, "kbeebs" <[email protected]> wrote:
> My furball uses "Fresh step" litter. I'm not sure her breed - she's a barn
> cat I got from a friend of a friend. Why do I keep getting a response that
> water is bad? It's something they don't like, so I thought they would learn
> from it.
>

> Matthew wrote:
> >For now yes Gail has some ideas that need to be addressed the water
> >bottle is not a choice for right now until the furball has a medical
> >checkout and gets older
>
> >What type of litter are you using also. What breed of kitten is it
>
> >I had a cat that had problems with it eye sight where it could not tell
> >depth it used to do this also
>
> >> She usually is in a smaller room during the day, and her litter box is
> >> considerably small. Do you recommend putting a second litter box where she
> >[quoted text clipped - 15 lines]

Confinement is a very good starting point.

The reason that it would be best not to use water is because she might
associate the water with when she needs to go to the litter box.
Should this be the case, then she will consciously try to hide away
from you when she feels the need to use her litter box, (or where ever
she is choosing to go right now. A second litter box is an excellent
idea right now. It will give her the confidence to use it).
Explore the possibility that there might be something medically wrong,
by taking her to see your vet 1st. It is entirely possible that this
is not a social issue.

Another trick that I have found useful when I have kittens come in
that don't seem to be using a litter box properly, is to add a small
amount of urine soaked litter, to mix in with your chosen litter. As
soon as the kitten smells this, they seem to associate the fact that
this is where it is appropriate to go. I can't stress how important it
is to use a very small amount of litter you can mix in, or that it
must come from a female cat whom you are sure has no other medical
[email protected] all!. With a 10x stronger sense of smell, kitty will be able
to recognise that smell, where you might not be able to.

Normally, a mother cat will teach her kittens where it is appropriate
to use the facilities, but if she came to you as a barn cat, then she
has no idea where it is that you are asking her to go, because barn
cats would be used to going outside.
This might take a little while, & a lot of patience to sort this out,
however, as long as she is somewhere, where it is possible to simply
wipe the floor down, then it doesn't really matter for a short while.

Best of Luck,
S;o)

kbeebs via CatKB.com
June 10th 07, 03:21 PM
Marbles in a coffee can?? Is it the noise they don't like?

Matthew wrote:
>> My furball uses "Fresh step" litter. I'm not sure her breed - she's a
>> barn
>[quoted text clipped - 3 lines]
>> learn
>> from it.
>
>To young to learn just yet and if it is a medical problem than you are
>causing a problem
>
>When a cat is doing it on purpose than it can be used but right now it could
>be medical not behavioral plus the age of the kitten
>
>IMO when it gets a little older there are better methods than the squirt
>bottle such as marbles in a coffee can. If I used a squirt bottle on Rumble
>I would be dealing with a nasty response where I sleep Rumble and a few
>other of my cats could care less if you squirted them. they would get
>revenge if daddy was mean but they hate the coffee can
>
>>>For now yes Gail has some ideas that need to be addressed the water
>>>bottle is not a choice for right now until the furball has a medical
>[quoted text clipped - 11 lines]

kbeebs via CatKB.com
June 10th 07, 03:27 PM
Maybe I should have mentioned that she does use her litter box, but at times
chooses not to. And I use the water bottle for other issues - keeping out of
the plants, not chewing/playing with cords, etc.

I guess I will try another litter box. Um...how might I go about
"collecting" - if you will - "a small amount of urine" to soak some litter???

And even though it is an easy clean up, but now she is moving to places on
the carpet, and I can't say "it doesn't matter."

sheelagh wrote:
>> My furball uses "Fresh step" litter. I'm not sure her breed - she's a barn
>> cat I got from a friend of a friend. Why do I keep getting a response that
>[quoted text clipped - 17 lines]

>Confinement is a very good starting point.
>
>The reason that it would be best not to use water is because she might
>associate the water with when she needs to go to the litter box.
>Should this be the case, then she will consciously try to hide away
>from you when she feels the need to use her litter box, (or where ever
>she is choosing to go right now. A second litter box is an excellent
>idea right now. It will give her the confidence to use it).
>Explore the possibility that there might be something medically wrong,
>by taking her to see your vet 1st. It is entirely possible that this
>is not a social issue.
>
>Another trick that I have found useful when I have kittens come in
>that don't seem to be using a litter box properly, is to add a small
>amount of urine soaked litter, to mix in with your chosen litter. As
>soon as the kitten smells this, they seem to associate the fact that
>this is where it is appropriate to go. I can't stress how important it
>is to use a very small amount of litter you can mix in, or that it
>must come from a female cat whom you are sure has no other medical
>[email protected] all!. With a 10x stronger sense of smell, kitty will be able
>to recognise that smell, where you might not be able to.
>
>Normally, a mother cat will teach her kittens where it is appropriate
>to use the facilities, but if she came to you as a barn cat, then she
>has no idea where it is that you are asking her to go, because barn
>cats would be used to going outside.
>This might take a little while, & a lot of patience to sort this out,
>however, as long as she is somewhere, where it is possible to simply
>wipe the floor down, then it doesn't really matter for a short while.
>
>Best of Luck,
>S;o)

Gail
June 10th 07, 04:45 PM
She should see a vet. She sounds like she might have a urinary tract
infection. You must rule this out before you assume that it is a behavioral
broblem.
Gail
"kbeebs via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Maybe I should have mentioned that she does use her litter box, but at
> times
> chooses not to. And I use the water bottle for other issues - keeping out
> of
> the plants, not chewing/playing with cords, etc.
>
> I guess I will try another litter box. Um...how might I go about
> "collecting" - if you will - "a small amount of urine" to soak some
> litter???
>
> And even though it is an easy clean up, but now she is moving to places on
> the carpet, and I can't say "it doesn't matter."
>
> sheelagh wrote:
>>> My furball uses "Fresh step" litter. I'm not sure her breed - she's a
>>> barn
>>> cat I got from a friend of a friend. Why do I keep getting a response
>>> that
>>[quoted text clipped - 17 lines]

>>Confinement is a very good starting point.
>>
>>The reason that it would be best not to use water is because she might
>>associate the water with when she needs to go to the litter box.
>>Should this be the case, then she will consciously try to hide away
>>from you when she feels the need to use her litter box, (or where ever
>>she is choosing to go right now. A second litter box is an excellent
>>idea right now. It will give her the confidence to use it).
>>Explore the possibility that there might be something medically wrong,
>>by taking her to see your vet 1st. It is entirely possible that this
>>is not a social issue.
>>
>>Another trick that I have found useful when I have kittens come in
>>that don't seem to be using a litter box properly, is to add a small
>>amount of urine soaked litter, to mix in with your chosen litter. As
>>soon as the kitten smells this, they seem to associate the fact that
>>this is where it is appropriate to go. I can't stress how important it
>>is to use a very small amount of litter you can mix in, or that it
>>must come from a female cat whom you are sure has no other medical
>>[email protected] all!. With a 10x stronger sense of smell, kitty will be able
>>to recognise that smell, where you might not be able to.
>>
>>Normally, a mother cat will teach her kittens where it is appropriate
>>to use the facilities, but if she came to you as a barn cat, then she
>>has no idea where it is that you are asking her to go, because barn
>>cats would be used to going outside.
>>This might take a little while, & a lot of patience to sort this out,
>>however, as long as she is somewhere, where it is possible to simply
>>wipe the floor down, then it doesn't really matter for a short while.
>>
>>Best of Luck,
>>S;o)

sheelagh
June 10th 07, 04:59 PM
On 10 Jun, 16:45, "Gail" > wrote:
> She should see a vet. She sounds like she might have a urinary tract
> infection. You must rule this out before you assume that it is a behavioral
> broblem.
> Gail
> "kbeebs via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in messagenews:[email protected]
>

> > Maybe I should have mentioned that she does use her litter box, but at
> > times
> > chooses not to. And I use the water bottle for other issues - keeping out
> > of
> > the plants, not chewing/playing with cords, etc.
>
> > I guess I will try another litter box. Um...how might I go about
> > "collecting" - if you will - "a small amount of urine" to soak some
> > litter???
>
> > And even though it is an easy clean up, but now she is moving to places on
> > the carpet, and I can't say "it doesn't matter."

> >>[quoted text clipped - 17 lines]

> >>Confinement is a very good starting point.
>
> >>The reason that it would be best not to use water is because she might
> >>associate the water with when she needs to go to the litter box.
> >>Should this be the case, then she will consciously try to hide away
> >>from you when she feels the need to use her litter box, (or where ever
> >>she is choosing to go right now. A second litter box is an excellent
> >>idea right now. It will give her the confidence to use it).
> >>Explore the possibility that there might be something medically wrong,
> >>by taking her to see your vet 1st. It is entirely possible that this
> >>is not a social issue.
>
> >>Another trick that I have found useful when I have kittens come in
> >>that don't seem to be using a litter box properly, is to add a small
> >>amount of urine soaked litter, to mix in with your chosen litter. As
> >>soon as the kitten smells this, they seem to associate the fact that
> >>this is where it is appropriate to go. I can't stress how important it
> >>is to use a very small amount of litter you can mix in, or that it
> >>must come from a female cat whom you are sure has no other medical
> >>[email protected] all!. With a 10x stronger sense of smell, kitty will be able
> >>to recognise that smell, where you might not be able to.
>
> >>Normally, a mother cat will teach her kittens where it is appropriate
> >>to use the facilities, but if she came to you as a barn cat, then she
> >>has no idea where it is that you are asking her to go, because barn
> >>cats would be used to going outside.
> >>This might take a little while, & a lot of patience to sort this out,
> >>however, as long as she is somewhere, where it is possible to simply
> >>wipe the floor down, then it doesn't really matter for a short while.
>
> >>Best of Luck,
> >>S;o)
>
> > --

I agree with Gail. It sounds much more like a urinary tract infection
to me too.
I wasn't aware that she was using it sometimes and not @ other times.
By using it some times, it does indicate that she is associating the
litter box with the pain of going to the toilet as it were.
Try the vet first?

We would love to know how you got on, if you have the time to come
back and let us know, Please?
Many thanks & best wishes
S;o)

Matthew
June 10th 07, 05:27 PM
"kbeebs via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Marbles in a coffee can?? Is it the noise they don't like?

Like nails on a chalk board