PDA

View Full Version : Keeping dog out of litterbox

June 10th 07, 03:28 PM
We recently moved our cat's litterbox to the guest bathroom and put a
gate up for him to jump over. He has never had a problem doing this
when his litterbox was in either of the 2 guest rooms, but one guest
room is soon to be the baby's room and the other for guests to stay
here and it's also my office, so I didn't want it in either room. Now
my cat refuses to use the litter box in the bathroom (it is a small
bathroom) and has taken to pooping and peeing on the guest room floor.
I would like to put the litter box in the hallway but my dog will eat
the cat poop out of the litter box if I put it there (that's why it's
now in the bathroom with a gate). I thought about one of those kitty
screens to block the litter box from the dog, but they don't seem
heavy enough or tall enough and she will find a way to get her
"treat." Also, my cat will not use a covered litter box - it has to be
open. I'm getting very stressed about this. Help!

Gail
June 10th 07, 04:48 PM
The box must be in a convenient place for the cat where there is privacy and
an "escape route" as viewed by the cat. The bathroom may be too small. Why
not
put it in your office and make sure you clean it twice daily? Use clumping
litter and it is very easy. It should not smell that way.Many cats do not
like hooded boxes, by the way.
Gail

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> We recently moved our cat's litterbox to the guest bathroom and put a
> gate up for him to jump over. He has never had a problem doing this
> when his litterbox was in either of the 2 guest rooms, but one guest
> room is soon to be the baby's room and the other for guests to stay
> here and it's also my office, so I didn't want it in either room. Now
> my cat refuses to use the litter box in the bathroom (it is a small
> bathroom) and has taken to pooping and peeing on the guest room floor.
> I would like to put the litter box in the hallway but my dog will eat
> the cat poop out of the litter box if I put it there (that's why it's
> now in the bathroom with a gate). I thought about one of those kitty
> screens to block the litter box from the dog, but they don't seem
> heavy enough or tall enough and she will find a way to get her
> "treat." Also, my cat will not use a covered litter box - it has to be
> open. I'm getting very stressed about this. Help!

June 10th 07, 04:58 PM
On Jun 10, 10:48 am, "Gail" > wrote:
> The box must be in a convenient place for the cat where there is privacy and
> an "escape route" as viewed by the cat. The bathroom may be too small. Why
> not
> put it in your office and make sure you clean it twice daily? Use clumping
> litter and it is very easy. It should not smell that way.Many cats do not
> like hooded boxes, by the way.
> Gail

I ended up moving it back to my office. When I have guests come and
stay, I'll have to figure something else out (the office is also the
guest room). Hopefully we can get a 4-bedroom house someday. I thought
if i could find a litter box screen that is heavy or tall enough to
keep the dog out, I could put the litter box in the hallway just
outside the office for when guests stay here. I'll keep looking but so
far the screens I've seen online seem more lightweight and short.