PDA

View Full Version : Will a dog whistle affect a cat?

Lisa C
June 10th 07, 06:16 PM
Neighbor across the street often ties up his two little yappy dogs and
one large dog on his front porch. ANYTHING will set these guys off
barking, which doesn't seem to bother said neighbor. I have thoughts
of getting one of those silent dog whistles to see if it might make
any difference in their behavior. But, I have a cat and I don't want
to hurt his ears. I would like to just go to the window and use the
whistle.

Neighbor is not a very nice person and I don't want to confront him.
I will be moving in a couple of months so I could stand the barking
but would rather not.

Will this hurt my kitty in any way?

MaryL
June 10th 07, 08:04 PM
"Lisa C" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Neighbor across the street often ties up his two little yappy dogs and
> one large dog on his front porch. ANYTHING will set these guys off
> barking, which doesn't seem to bother said neighbor. I have thoughts
> of getting one of those silent dog whistles to see if it might make
> any difference in their behavior. But, I have a cat and I don't want
> to hurt his ears. I would like to just go to the window and use the
> whistle.
>
> Neighbor is not a very nice person and I don't want to confront him.
> I will be moving in a couple of months so I could stand the barking
> but would rather not.
>
> Will this hurt my kitty in any way?

I don't have any personal knowledge of this, but your question interested
me. I did a quick search and found this site for a "silent" dog whistle
that is used for training dogs but uses a frequency too high for human ears.
However, the ad includes this statement: "The Acme Silent Dog Whistle
produces ultra high frequencies in the range of 5800Hz. to 12400Hz. Used for
training dolphins and killer whales at Sea World it is also famous for its
effects on cats, horses, mice and even bats! "
http://www.ewhistles.com/store/iw-11006.html

Based on that statement, I would guess that your cats will also hear the
whistle. However, the one in the ad is a training whistle and other sources
indicate that there are varying reactions (from no reaction at all to a
reaction of coming immediately to the person holding the whistle -- which
isn't the reaction you want). Is the one you are considering a training
whistle with varying degrees of sound, as this one is? If so, I'm not sure
if you would get the desired reaction (which is "stop barking"). You could
try it and keep a close eye on your cat to see if there is any reaction.

MaryL

June 10th 07, 10:20 PM
On Jun 10, 1:16 pm, Lisa C > wrote:
> Neighbor across the street often ties up his two little yappy dogs and
> one large dog on his front porch. ANYTHING will set these guys off
> barking, which doesn't seem to bother said neighbor. I have thoughts
> of getting one of those silent dog whistles to see if it might make
> any difference in their behavior. But, I have a cat and I don't want
> to hurt his ears. I would like to just go to the window and use the
> whistle.
>
> Neighbor is not a very nice person and I don't want to confront him.
> I will be moving in a couple of months so I could stand the barking
> but would rather not.
>
> Will this hurt my kitty in any way?

no they do not have the same hearing

reeper[_2_]
June 11th 07, 03:55 AM

> ultra high frequencies in the range of 5800Hz. to 12400Hz. Used for
> training dolphins and killer whales at Sea World it is also famous for its
> effects on cats, horses, mice and even bats! "
> http://www.ewhistles.com/store/iw-11006.html
>
> Based on that statement, I would guess that your cats will also hear the
> whistle.
> MaryL

cool!

I whistle for my cats, Jupiter usually shows up.. or she will talk back and
let me know where she is.. we ping pong back and forth 3 and 4 times, she's
cute. I know I could toilet train her, recently she hops in her litter while
I'm taking my morning Nick Andrews erie pa, and there we set.

A big black dude neighbor friend of mine, he told a lie, it's so silly...
it's funny...
he told another friend of mine that my little Jupiter (little black cat),
GOT in his lawn mower wagon and rode up the street with him and back, and
hopped out when he got in front of my house, I can't believe he told that.
He said he wanted to take her home for his pet. lol.
my cat didn't do that! no cat would.

nooooo, you can't have my cat man!

Savitri
June 11th 07, 11:37 AM
Neighbor across the street often ties up his two little yappy dogs and
one large dog on his front porch. ANYTHING will set these guys off
barking, which doesn't seem to bother said neighbor. I have thoughts
of getting one of those silent dog whistles to see if it might make
any difference in their behavior. But, I have a cat and I don't want
to hurt his ears. I would like to just go to the window and use the
whistle.

Neighbor is not a very nice person and I don't want to confront him.
I will be moving in a couple of months so I could stand the barking
but would rather not.

Will this hurt my kitty in any way?

Cats can hear dog whistle also, but may be sensitive on a different pitch. Even not all dogs are sensitive on the same pitch. There is sound frequency they hate the most but it differs from dog to dog. The best results in stopping them barking is to use multifunctional dog whistle which has sixteen selectable sound frequencies. You can find it at: http://schweizer-dog-whistle.azpromo.hr/
With a little experiment you can find the right frequency for your neighbor's dog. It is very small chance that your cat will be sensitive on this pitch too.
And, if you don't blow the whistle right in your cat's face with your full power, you can't hurt your kitty.