PDA

View Full Version : Main Coon - Needs help with her fur

mich
June 10th 07, 06:59 PM
Bonjour,

I would like to start by saying that I am new to this type of
communication. I am bilingual so if you prefer to answer in French,
please do so.

I have a Main Coon named Missy. She is 1 year 6 months old. Even
though I brush her everyday, many times, she is quite matted. What
doubles my problem is that Missy is quite shy and she does not travel
at all. I have tried many times to bring her to the veterinary for
her annual shots but to no avail. She is very strong and she will not
get in her cage. I also tried training her on a leash - it has been 2
months and we have made no progress. I have had many cats through the
years and this is the first cat I have not been able to either bring
outside or travel to the vet or anywhere for that matter.

To resume, my questions are:

1. How can I keep her fur from matting? As I cannot bring her to a
groomer, how can I cut her fur or shave it?

2. How does one train a Main Coon to walk on a leash?

Any help is welcomed and will be much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Miche

Claude V. Lucas
June 10th 07, 07:50 PM
In article om>,
mich > wrote:
>Bonjour,
>
>I would like to start by saying that I am new to this type of
>communication. I am bilingual so if you prefer to answer in French,
>please do so.
>
>I have a Main Coon named Missy. She is 1 year 6 months old. Even
>though I brush her everyday, many times, she is quite matted. What
>doubles my problem is that Missy is quite shy and she does not travel
>at all. I have tried many times to bring her to the veterinary for
>her annual shots but to no avail. She is very strong and she will not
>get in her cage. I also tried training her on a leash - it has been 2
>months and we have made no progress. I have had many cats through the
>years and this is the first cat I have not been able to either bring
>outside or travel to the vet or anywhere for that matter.
>
>To resume, my questions are:
>
>1. How can I keep her fur from matting? As I cannot bring her to a
>groomer, how can I cut her fur or shave it?
>
>2. How does one train a Main Coon to walk on a leash?
>
>Any help is welcomed and will be much appreciated.
>
>Many thanks.
>
>Miche

Hi

When I first got Bubba

http://www.sonic.net/~claudel/Bubba/Bubba.html

his fur was so matted on his belly that I had to have him
shaved. In order to not have him associate that bad experience
with *me* I took him to a groomer and had him shaved.

Bubba does not care for travelling either and definately does
not like being in his carrier. That presents one of the rare
occasions when I have to go against his wishes and force him
into the carrier for the trip. He's big & strong too, and weighs
25 Lbs and is quite a handful to get into his box. He cries
and whines constantly while in the box, but I reward him for
his poor behavior with a few treats anyway. Nothing works quite
like food to get Bubba's mind off an unpleasant situation.

It helps to have a large carrier with a large enough door to
push him in. It also seems to help to take a firm tone and
let him know that that is just one of those times when
something is going to happen whether he likes it or not.

Fortunately he seems to have a short memory for these events.

After I got him cleaned up I've only had to brush & comb him
out once a week or so to keep the mats under control.
Unfortunately that seems to be one of those occasions, like
nail clipping time, that he would rather not participate in.

I generally brush him out as best I can and then use a medium
toothed comb to get the budding mats out before they get a
chance to get too bad. He reacts to this about as well as if
I was pulling out his teeth with a pair of pliers, but again
this is another of those times where the servant has to be the
master. He seems to like the brush OK, but doesn't like being
dematted. As always, a few treats afterwards and a few minutes
for him to realize how much better he feels without matted fur
and all is forgiven.

I wouldn't begin to guess how to get him to walk on a leash.
He absolutely hates the idea of going outside to begin with
and if he didn't choose to like the idea of being in a harness
it would probably be just short of World War III to get him to
behave.

Good Luck

jmagerl[_2_]
June 10th 07, 08:18 PM
Mr Bonkers reacted very strongly to the type of brush used. He would not
allow himself to be touched with a what I would call a hair brush (synthetic
bristels, not unlike a human hair brush), One day I bought a "slicker" brush
because it was on sale for a buck and its been "please brush me" ever since.
ITs all metal with short metal tines and does it pick up the hair. 2 or 3
strokes with it and you have stop to uncloog it it.

"mich" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Bonjour,
>
> I would like to start by saying that I am new to this type of
> communication. I am bilingual so if you prefer to answer in French,
> please do so.
>
> I have a Main Coon named Missy. She is 1 year 6 months old. Even
> though I brush her everyday, many times, she is quite matted. What
> doubles my problem is that Missy is quite shy and she does not travel
> at all. I have tried many times to bring her to the veterinary for
> her annual shots but to no avail. She is very strong and she will not
> get in her cage. I also tried training her on a leash - it has been 2
> months and we have made no progress. I have had many cats through the
> years and this is the first cat I have not been able to either bring
> outside or travel to the vet or anywhere for that matter.
>
> To resume, my questions are:
>
> 1. How can I keep her fur from matting? As I cannot bring her to a
> groomer, how can I cut her fur or shave it?
>
> 2. How does one train a Main Coon to walk on a leash?
>
> Any help is welcomed and will be much appreciated.
>
> Many thanks.
>
> Miche

---MIKE---
June 10th 07, 11:00 PM
I have the same problem with Tiger. He likes to be brushed with the
Zoom Groom but he resists combing. He doesn't like to travel but I am
able to get him in the carrier. Then he hyper-ventilates all the way to
the vet. He has to be sedated for the vet to clip him. His mats are
starting to develop now so I expect a trip will be in order soon.

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

cindys
June 11th 07, 12:04 AM
"mich" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Bonjour,
>
> I would like to start by saying that I am new to this type of
> communication. I am bilingual so if you prefer to answer in French,
> please do so.
>
> I have a Main Coon named Missy. She is 1 year 6 months old. Even
> though I brush her everyday, many times, she is quite matted. What
> doubles my problem is that Missy is quite shy and she does not travel
> at all. I have tried many times to bring her to the veterinary for
> her annual shots but to no avail. She is very strong and she will not
> get in her cage.
--------
Wrap her in a towel and plunk her in the carrier with the towel. She will be
confused and busy trying to free herself from the towel. By the time she
succeeds (about 10 seconds later), the door of the carrier will already be
secured. Alternately, you can put her in a pillowcase and plunk her in the
carrier. She will be busy trying to get out of the pillowcase and while
she's busy doing that, close the door of the carrier.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Sherry
June 11th 07, 05:13 AM
On Jun 10, 12:59 pm, mich > wrote:
> Bonjour,
>
> I would like to start by saying that I am new to this type of
> communication. I am bilingual so if you prefer to answer in French,
> please do so.
>
> I have a Main Coon named Missy. She is 1 year 6 months old. Even
> though I brush her everyday, many times, she is quite matted. What
> doubles my problem is that Missy is quite shy and she does not travel
> at all. I have tried many times to bring her to the veterinary for
> her annual shots but to no avail. She is very strong and she will not
> get in her cage. I also tried training her on a leash - it has been 2
> months and we have made no progress. I have had many cats through the
> years and this is the first cat I have not been able to either bring
> outside or travel to the vet or anywhere for that matter.
>
> To resume, my questions are:
>
> 1. How can I keep her fur from matting? As I cannot bring her to a
> groomer, how can I cut her fur or shave it?
>
> 2. How does one train a Main Coon to walk on a leash?
>
> Any help is welcomed and will be much appreciated.
>
> Many thanks.
>
> Miche

Hi Miche--Maine Coons are prone to matting. The only way to keep her
from matting is to thoroughly
brush her *every day*. If her fur does start to mat, get a wide-
toothed comb, with steel tines that swivel.
My daughter has hers shaved every spring. We live in a hot climate,
and they seem to enjoy their haircuts.
The best way I've found to get a cat in a carrier is to use the
element of surprise, gently pick them up when
they're asleep or not expecting it. Don't let them see the carrier.
Get a large carrier, stand it on end, and
put the cat in it feet first.
If she'll let you, there's nothing wrong with buying clippers and
learning to trim her fur yourself. If she *really*
hates it, it's probably best to let a professional do it, and she may
need to be sedated. Cats are pretty
forgiving. She'll forget about it in a day or two.
One tool that I really like for long, thick fur is the "Furminator".
It gets all the loose hair out and seems to thin
the coat too. They're pretty expensive, over $30 USD, but it is my
favorite grooming tool.
Good luck
Sherry

Claude V. Lucas
June 11th 07, 05:45 AM
In article om>,
Sherry > wrote:
>On Jun 10, 12:59 pm, mich > wrote:
>> Bonjour,
>>
>> I would like to start by saying that I am new to this type of
>> communication. I am bilingual so if you prefer to answer in French,
>> please do so.
>>
>> I have a Main Coon named Missy. She is 1 year 6 months old. Even
>> though I brush her everyday, many times, she is quite matted. What
>> doubles my problem is that Missy is quite shy and she does not travel
>> at all. I have tried many times to bring her to the veterinary for
>> her annual shots but to no avail. She is very strong and she will not
>> get in her cage. I also tried training her on a leash - it has been 2
>> months and we have made no progress. I have had many cats through the
>> years and this is the first cat I have not been able to either bring
>> outside or travel to the vet or anywhere for that matter.
>>
>> To resume, my questions are:
>>
>> 1. How can I keep her fur from matting? As I cannot bring her to a
>> groomer, how can I cut her fur or shave it?
>>
>> 2. How does one train a Main Coon to walk on a leash?
>>
>> Any help is welcomed and will be much appreciated.
>>
>> Many thanks.
>>
>> Miche
>
>Hi Miche--Maine Coons are prone to matting. The only way to keep her
>from matting is to thoroughly
>brush her *every day*. If her fur does start to mat, get a wide-
>toothed comb, with steel tines that swivel.
>My daughter has hers shaved every spring. We live in a hot climate,
>and they seem to enjoy their haircuts.
>The best way I've found to get a cat in a carrier is to use the
>element of surprise, gently pick them up when
>they're asleep or not expecting it. Don't let them see the carrier.
>Get a large carrier, stand it on end, and
>put the cat in it feet first.
>If she'll let you, there's nothing wrong with buying clippers and
>learning to trim her fur yourself. If she *really*
>hates it, it's probably best to let a professional do it, and she may
>need to be sedated. Cats are pretty
>forgiving. She'll forget about it in a day or two.
>One tool that I really like for long, thick fur is the "Furminator".
>It gets all the loose hair out and seems to thin
>the coat too. They're pretty expensive, over $30 USD, but it is my
>favorite grooming tool.
>Good luck
>Sherry

I occasionally consider getting Bubba a Lion cut for the
summer, but it somehow just doesn't seem right.

:^)

Thanks for the tip on the Furminator.

cindys
June 11th 07, 02:48 PM
"Sherry" > wrote in message
ups.com...

snip
> The best way I've found to get a cat in a carrier is to use the
> element of surprise, gently pick them up when
> they're asleep or not expecting it. Don't let them see the carrier.
> Get a large carrier, stand it on end, and
> put the cat in it feet first.
-------------
Yes, I also have the carrier open and standing on end in preparation for
putting the cat in, and I also put the cat in feet first. Usually if the cat
is sleeping, though, he wakes up when he hears me rattling around with the
carrier. So, another thing I do is confine him in a small room (like the
bathroom) where there is no bed or sofa to hide under. Then, once he is
secure in the bathroom, I get the carrier, and stand it open and on end
right outside the bathroom door. Then, I go in the bathroom, grab the cat
and put him in the carrier feet first. This works with all my cats except
one. She hadn't been to the vet for years since it was totally impossible to
get her into the carrier no matter what I did. Then, someone told me about
the towel/pillowcase technique. It worked like a charm. I wrapped the cat in
the towel and had her secured in the carrier in a matter of a few seconds,
easy as pie.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Sherry
June 11th 07, 03:30 PM
On Jun 10, 11:45 pm, (Claude V. Lucas) wrote:
> In article om>,
>

> Sherry > wrote:
> >On Jun 10, 12:59 pm, mich > wrote:
> >> Bonjour,
>
> >> I would like to start by saying that I am new to this type of
> >> communication. I am bilingual so if you prefer to answer in French,
> >> please do so.
>
> >> I have a Main Coon named Missy. She is 1 year 6 months old. Even
> >> though I brush her everyday, many times, she is quite matted. What
> >> doubles my problem is that Missy is quite shy and she does not travel
> >> at all. I have tried many times to bring her to the veterinary for
> >> her annual shots but to no avail. She is very strong and she will not
> >> get in her cage. I also tried training her on a leash - it has been 2
> >> months and we have made no progress. I have had many cats through the
> >> years and this is the first cat I have not been able to either bring
> >> outside or travel to the vet or anywhere for that matter.
>
> >> To resume, my questions are:
>
> >> 1. How can I keep her fur from matting? As I cannot bring her to a
> >> groomer, how can I cut her fur or shave it?
>
> >> 2. How does one train a Main Coon to walk on a leash?
>
> >> Any help is welcomed and will be much appreciated.
>
> >> Many thanks.
>
> >> Miche
>
> >Hi Miche--Maine Coons are prone to matting. The only way to keep her
> >from matting is to thoroughly
> >brush her *every day*. If her fur does start to mat, get a wide-
> >toothed comb, with steel tines that swivel.
> >My daughter has hers shaved every spring. We live in a hot climate,
> >and they seem to enjoy their haircuts.
> >The best way I've found to get a cat in a carrier is to use the
> >element of surprise, gently pick them up when
> >they're asleep or not expecting it. Don't let them see the carrier.
> >Get a large carrier, stand it on end, and
> >put the cat in it feet first.
> >If she'll let you, there's nothing wrong with buying clippers and
> >learning to trim her fur yourself. If she *really*
> >hates it, it's probably best to let a professional do it, and she may
> >need to be sedated. Cats are pretty
> >forgiving. She'll forget about it in a day or two.
> >One tool that I really like for long, thick fur is the "Furminator".
> >It gets all the loose hair out and seems to thin
> >the coat too. They're pretty expensive, over $30 USD, but it is my
> >favorite grooming tool.
> >Good luck
> >Sherry
>
> I occasionally consider getting Bubba a Lion cut for the
> summer, but it somehow just doesn't seem right.
>
> :^)
>
> Thanks for the tip on the Furminator.- Hide quoted text -

I know. The only reason I finally got Biskit a lion cut was because
her fur
was terribly matted, and she hates to be brushed. Now I do it every
year. She
prances around like she's a little princess. I don't know if she
thinks she
is beautiful, or if she's just so much more comfortable. And it grows
back so fast. I get
her trimmed in the spring, and by fall it's pretty much grown back.
A nice added bonus is....so much less hair to shed on the furniture,
and on me!
The only negatives are, you can't shave cats who go outdoors becuase
of sunburn,
and if your kitties are prone to scrapping with each other, they have
no protection
from claws/bites with their fur gone.

Sherry

Sherry

Sherry
June 11th 07, 03:39 PM
On Jun 11, 9:30 am, Sherry > wrote:
> On Jun 10, 11:45 pm, (Claude V. Lucas) wrote:
>

> > In article om>,
>
> > Sherry > wrote:

> > >Hi Miche--Maine Coons are prone to matting. The only way to keep her
> > >from matting is to thoroughly
> > >brush her *every day*. If her fur does start to mat, get a wide-
> > >toothed comb, with steel tines that swivel.
> > >My daughter has hers shaved every spring. We live in a hot climate,
> > >and they seem to enjoy their haircuts.
> > >The best way I've found to get a cat in a carrier is to use the
> > >element of surprise, gently pick them up when
> > >they're asleep or not expecting it. Don't let them see the carrier.
> > >Get a large carrier, stand it on end, and
> > >put the cat in it feet first.
> > >If she'll let you, there's nothing wrong with buying clippers and
> > >learning to trim her fur yourself. If she *really*
> > >hates it, it's probably best to let a professional do it, and she may
> > >need to be sedated. Cats are pretty
> > >forgiving. She'll forget about it in a day or two.
> > >One tool that I really like for long, thick fur is the "Furminator".
> > >It gets all the loose hair out and seems to thin
> > >the coat too. They're pretty expensive, over $30 USD, but it is my
> > >favorite grooming tool.
> > >Good luck
> > >Sherry
>
> > I occasionally consider getting Bubba a Lion cut for the
> > summer, but it somehow just doesn't seem right.
>
> > :^)
>
> > Thanks for the tip on the Furminator.- Hide quoted text -

> I know. The only reason I finally got Biskit a lion cut was because
> her fur
> was terribly matted, and she hates to be brushed. Now I do it every
> year. She
> prances around like she's a little princess. I don't know if she
> thinks she
> is beautiful, or if she's just so much more comfortable. And it grows
> back so fast. I get
> her trimmed in the spring, and by fall it's pretty much grown back.
> A nice added bonus is....so much less hair to shed on the furniture,
> and on me!
> The only negatives are, you can't shave cats who go outdoors becuase
> of sunburn,
> and if your kitties are prone to scrapping with each other, they have
> no protection
> from claws/bites with their fur gone.
>
> Sherry

Here's a couple of pics that are perfect illustrations.
First one is Biskit sitting in front of a picture of her bedraggled,
matted self
in the condition she was when we first found her:
http://members.aol.com/jjrich0523/makeover.jpg
Second is Bikkie with her haircut the next spring
http://members.aol.com/jjrich0523/bikkiehaircut1.jpg
She does look weird and otherworldy, but she is so happy.

Sherry

bookie
June 11th 07, 03:43 PM
On 11 Jun, 14:48, "cindys" > wrote:
> "Sherry" > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...
>
> snip> The best way I've found to get a cat in a carrier is to use the
> > element of surprise, gently pick them up when
> > they're asleep or not expecting it. Don't let them see the carrier.
> > Get a large carrier, stand it on end, and
> > put the cat in it feet first.
>
> -------------
> Yes, I also have the carrier open and standing on end in preparation for
> putting the cat in, and I also put the cat in feet first. Usually if the cat
> is sleeping, though, he wakes up when he hears me rattling around with the
> carrier. So, another thing I do is confine him in a small room (like the
> bathroom) where there is no bed or sofa to hide under. Then, once he is
> secure in the bathroom, I get the carrier, and stand it open and on end
> right outside the bathroom door. Then, I go in the bathroom, grab the cat
> and put him in the carrier feet first. This works with all my cats except
> one. She hadn't been to the vet for years since it was totally impossible to
> get her into the carrier no matter what I did. Then, someone told me about
> the towel/pillowcase technique. It worked like a charm. I wrapped the cat in
> the towel and had her secured in the carrier in a matter of a few seconds,
> easy as pie.
> Best regards,
> ---Cindy S.

whatever issues I have with my cats i realise they are nothing
compared the battels you lot seem to have getting your into their
carriers, jessie just goes in, terri just gets pushed with minimal
grumbling, jasper used to walk in no problems, but then these are old
cats who probably realise by now that there's no use fighting over it!

i am sure this will trigger off a barrage of complaints from some
people but one thing I found to stop the whining in the carrier in the
car on the way to anywhere was to let them out of the carrier. jasper
used to sit on my lap or on the front passenger seat curled up on the
way to the vets, occasionally getting up to see where we were going
incase i got lost and took a wrong turn, but then he was abotu 17 or
so years by that stage and nothin seemed to phase him, he seemed
fairly peaceful and was probably in so much pain by that stage that
just placing him on the front seat was enough during his last few
trips to the vet. he just behaved as though i had just placed him on a
comfy chair at home and he went back to sleep.
jessie whined in her carrier and on the way back form my aunts at xmas
just a 20 minutes drive down the road, i pulled over opened the
carrier door slightly, she oozed out, climbed on the back seat and
promptly stretched out and fell asleep for the rest fo the journey.
She was much more cbothered by being in the confined space and
probably the smells etc in the carrier which I am sure persist even
though i have cleaned it out so many times.

I am sure people will respond and say "ooooh this is soooooo dangerous
etc etc" but these 2 cats are/were very old and past caring about
pickgin fights for no reason and I knwo theyare both calm enough to
just sleep through the journey. I would not try it with a younger cat
who i didn't know who was more energetic.

btw have you tried to cover the carrier over with a towel for the
journey to the vets? sometimes animals calm down when they are in the
dark, don't know if this works with cats

awaiting flaming
bookie

Claude V. Lucas
June 11th 07, 04:43 PM
In article . com>,
Sherry > wrote:
>On Jun 10, 11:45 pm, (Claude V. Lucas) wrote:
>> In article om>,
>>

>> Sherry > wrote:

>> >Hi Miche--Maine Coons are prone to matting. The only way to keep her
>> >from matting is to thoroughly
>> >brush her *every day*. If her fur does start to mat, get a wide-
>> >toothed comb, with steel tines that swivel.
>> >My daughter has hers shaved every spring. We live in a hot climate,
>> >and they seem to enjoy their haircuts.
>> >The best way I've found to get a cat in a carrier is to use the
>> >element of surprise, gently pick them up when
>> >they're asleep or not expecting it. Don't let them see the carrier.
>> >Get a large carrier, stand it on end, and
>> >put the cat in it feet first.
>> >If she'll let you, there's nothing wrong with buying clippers and
>> >learning to trim her fur yourself. If she *really*
>> >hates it, it's probably best to let a professional do it, and she may
>> >need to be sedated. Cats are pretty
>> >forgiving. She'll forget about it in a day or two.
>> >One tool that I really like for long, thick fur is the "Furminator".
>> >It gets all the loose hair out and seems to thin
>> >the coat too. They're pretty expensive, over $30 USD, but it is my
>> >favorite grooming tool.
>> >Good luck
>> >Sherry
>>
>> I occasionally consider getting Bubba a Lion cut for the
>> summer, but it somehow just doesn't seem right.
>>
>> :^)
>>
>> Thanks for the tip on the Furminator.- Hide quoted text -

>I know. The only reason I finally got Biskit a lion cut was because
>her fur
>was terribly matted, and she hates to be brushed. Now I do it every
>year. She
>prances around like she's a little princess. I don't know if she
>thinks she
>is beautiful, or if she's just so much more comfortable. And it grows
>back so fast. I get
>her trimmed in the spring, and by fall it's pretty much grown back.
>A nice added bonus is....so much less hair to shed on the furniture,
>and on me!
>The only negatives are, you can't shave cats who go outdoors becuase
>of sunburn,
>and if your kitties are prone to scrapping with each other, they have
>no protection
>from claws/bites with their fur gone.
>
>Sherry
>
>Sherry

Hi

I only have Bubba, and the only one he scraps with is me.

He refuses to go outside, so sunburn is not a problem.

I'm just having trouble picturing him with the lion cut.

He does have a great mane, though.

Claude V. Lucas
June 11th 07, 04:49 PM
In article . com>,
Sherry > wrote:
>On Jun 11, 9:30 am, Sherry > wrote:
>> On Jun 10, 11:45 pm, (Claude V. Lucas) wrote:

>> > I occasionally consider getting Bubba a Lion cut for the
>> > summer, but it somehow just doesn't seem right.
>>
>> > :^)
>>
>> > Thanks for the tip on the Furminator.- Hide quoted text -

>> I know. The only reason I finally got Biskit a lion cut was because
>> her fur
>> was terribly matted, and she hates to be brushed. Now I do it every
>> year. She
>> prances around like she's a little princess. I don't know if she
>> thinks she
>> is beautiful, or if she's just so much more comfortable. And it grows
>> back so fast. I get
>> her trimmed in the spring, and by fall it's pretty much grown back.
>> A nice added bonus is....so much less hair to shed on the furniture,
>> and on me!
>> The only negatives are, you can't shave cats who go outdoors becuase
>> of sunburn,
>> and if your kitties are prone to scrapping with each other, they have
>> no protection
>> from claws/bites with their fur gone.
>>
>> Sherry
>>
>Here's a couple of pics that are perfect illustrations.
>First one is Biskit sitting in front of a picture of her bedraggled,
>matted self
>in the condition she was when we first found her:
>http://members.aol.com/jjrich0523/makeover.jpg
>Second is Bikkie with her haircut the next spring
>http://members.aol.com/jjrich0523/bikkiehaircut1.jpg
>She does look weird and otherworldy, but she is so happy.
>
>Sherry

Cool pictures.

Somehow, though, in every picture I've seen of a cat with a
lion cut they have that "What did you do to me?" look and
it seems that they're ready to extrat some sort of revenge.

---MIKE---
June 11th 07, 08:51 PM
I use a different approach with the carrier. I bring it into the living
room with the door open for a few days before the vet visit. They are
suspicious of course but after a few days they ignore it. Then -
surprise!