PDA

View Full Version : eye problem

Lynne
June 11th 07, 05:27 PM
Rudy is seeing a veterinary opthamologist next week (who is only in town
every other Wednesday). I'm anxious to find out what's wrong, and
wondering if any of you have ideas.

Rudy has always "winked" this eye, from the time he was a small kitten.
Yesterday he was clearly in pain, though there are no outward signs of a
problem--no discharge, no redness. He may have some light sensitivity, but
it's hard to say. I have been putting warm compresses on his eye and even
though he isn't pleased with the procss, it's clearly helping with his
discomfort. He must realize it because he's being even more affectionate
than normal.

Any ideas on what could be wrong? My fear is that it's uveitis or
something similar and that he could be losing his vision. Whatever is
wrong, it's been going on his entire life and this is the first time he has
shown any sign that it's bothering him. I have had this eye looked at by
the vet in the past and he's always said there is nothing there. I thought
maybe it was my imagination that he "winks" this eye a lot, but OTOH, that
particular vet is an idiot and it took me a while to figure that out. Our
good vet referred us to the opthamologist today (he doesn't have the
equipment for a thorough eye exam), and unfortunately we have to wait..
though if he gets worse, we'll go to the emergency hospital and transfer
him if we have to. There are no opthamologists here.

Any thoughts, especially on something that may not be neccessarily an eye
problem that could cause these types of symptoms?

--
Lynne

Cheryl
June 12th 07, 03:22 AM
On Mon 11 Jun 2007 12:27:31p, Lynne wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
. 97.142>:

> Any thoughts, especially on something that may not be
> neccessarily an eye problem that could cause these types of
> symptoms?

I'm glad you're taking him to an opthamologist. Haven't you
mentioned herpes in the past with him, though? I go through the
"winky eye" thing with Scarlett a lot, in fact, right now she's got
a flare-up. I noticed a couple of days ago that she was "winky"
but looking at her eye, there was no discharge, and no redness. The
"wink" is a sure sign with her that a flare-up is happening. Now
today, two days later, she has clear discharge and holds it closed
a lot. With our history of this, my treatment is warm compresses
like you're doing and 500 mg of l-lysine a day. I started the
lysine yesterday, so if there's no improvement by wednesday, she
will have yet another trip to the vet where they'll tell me it's
viral and give me drops that probably aren't doing a thing. I swear
by the lysine, and I'm starting to agree with someone who once told
me that some cats have to be dosed with it every day for life.

--
Cheryl

Lynne
June 12th 07, 01:15 PM
on Tue, 12 Jun 2007 02:22:15 GMT, Cheryl >
wrote:

> I'm glad you're taking him to an opthamologist. Haven't you
> mentioned herpes in the past with him, though? I go through the
> "winky eye" thing with Scarlett a lot, in fact, right now she's got
> a flare-up. I noticed a couple of days ago that she was "winky"
> but looking at her eye, there was no discharge, and no redness. The
> "wink" is a sure sign with her that a flare-up is happening. Now
> today, two days later, she has clear discharge and holds it closed
> a lot. With our history of this, my treatment is warm compresses
> like you're doing and 500 mg of l-lysine a day. I started the
> lysine yesterday, so if there's no improvement by wednesday, she
> will have yet another trip to the vet where they'll tell me it's
> viral and give me drops that probably aren't doing a thing. I swear
> by the lysine, and I'm starting to agree with someone who once told
> me that some cats have to be dosed with it every day for life.

Rudy got an eye infection a few months ago and I thought that he may have
contracted herpes from Levi, but he hasn't shown any other signs--no
sneezing, no further infections. He may have it, though, but I think
this is something else. This winky eye has been going on since we
brought him home when he was 4 months old (he'll be ~4 years old at the
end of next month). So I don't think the winky eye is related to FHV, if
he even has it. Levi (now about 10 months old!), OTOH, definitely does
and gets L-lysine daily. He has frequent outbreaks and I plan to keep
him on it forever. Levi's outbreaks consist of sneezing and eye
discharge. Thankfully they don't last long and he hasn't been on
antibiotics since he was very small. I credit that to the L-lysine.

Since cats are such stoic creatures and Rudy was clearly in pain the
other day, I worry about inflammation in his eye, something that isn't
visible without a slit lamp. If the opthamologist finds that, hopefully
he'll respond to steroid eye drops. I have uveitis, which is very
painful and can lead to blindness, so I don't take eye problems lightly.
I'm very hopeful that it's nothing serious because I'm afraid whatever it
wrong is chronic. My poor baby.

In other news, Rudy loves the furminator. I've been using it on him a
lot the past few days and boy is he funny about it. He goes absolutely
nuts for it! I could knit an entire colony of cats from the fur it has
taken off of him. :)

--
Lynne

Sherry
June 12th 07, 03:22 PM
On Jun 12, 7:15 am, Lynne > wrote:
> on Tue, 12 Jun 2007 02:22:15 GMT, Cheryl >
> wrote:
>
> > I'm glad you're taking him to an opthamologist. Haven't you
> > mentioned herpes in the past with him, though? I go through the
> > "winky eye" thing with Scarlett a lot, in fact, right now she's got
> > a flare-up. I noticed a couple of days ago that she was "winky"
> > but looking at her eye, there was no discharge, and no redness. The
> > "wink" is a sure sign with her that a flare-up is happening. Now
> > today, two days later, she has clear discharge and holds it closed
> > a lot. With our history of this, my treatment is warm compresses
> > like you're doing and 500 mg of l-lysine a day. I started the
> > lysine yesterday, so if there's no improvement by wednesday, she
> > will have yet another trip to the vet where they'll tell me it's
> > viral and give me drops that probably aren't doing a thing. I swear
> > by the lysine, and I'm starting to agree with someone who once told
> > me that some cats have to be dosed with it every day for life.
>
> Rudy got an eye infection a few months ago and I thought that he may have
> contracted herpes from Levi, but he hasn't shown any other signs--no
> sneezing, no further infections. He may have it, though, but I think
> this is something else. This winky eye has been going on since we
> brought him home when he was 4 months old (he'll be ~4 years old at the
> end of next month). So I don't think the winky eye is related to FHV, if
> he even has it. Levi (now about 10 months old!), OTOH, definitely does
> and gets L-lysine daily. He has frequent outbreaks and I plan to keep
> him on it forever. Levi's outbreaks consist of sneezing and eye
> discharge. Thankfully they don't last long and he hasn't been on
> antibiotics since he was very small. I credit that to the L-lysine.
>
> Since cats are such stoic creatures and Rudy was clearly in pain the
> other day, I worry about inflammation in his eye, something that isn't
> visible without a slit lamp. If the opthamologist finds that, hopefully
> he'll respond to steroid eye drops. I have uveitis, which is very
> painful and can lead to blindness, so I don't take eye problems lightly.
> I'm very hopeful that it's nothing serious because I'm afraid whatever it
> wrong is chronic. My poor baby.
>
> In other news, Rudy loves the furminator. I've been using it on him a
> lot the past few days and boy is he funny about it. He goes absolutely
> nuts for it! I could knit an entire colony of cats from the fur it has
> taken off of him. :)
>
> --
> Lynne

I'm also glad you're getting him to an ophthamologist. I think chronic
winky-eye
with no sign of tearing or other symptoms is odd. He wouldn't be
winking if there
wasn't some sensitivity or discomfort. Hope it turns out well. Please
let us know.
RE: The Furminator. I have one, and love it for Frank. However, I've
recently discovered that
all that hair isn't loose hair. There must be a blade in there,
because it actually cuts the hair.
Try this: run a thread in between the tines. It cuts it. Which is a
*good* thing for us, because Frank
is just a walking fluffball and needs his hair thinned in the summer.
I did the thread-test because I finally got to thinking I was getting
way too much hair off the cats for it
all to be loose hair.

Sherry

Lynne
June 12th 07, 03:37 PM
on Tue, 12 Jun 2007 14:22:09 GMT, Sherry > wrote:

> I'm also glad you're getting him to an ophthamologist. I think chronic
> winky-eye
> with no sign of tearing or other symptoms is odd. He wouldn't be
> winking if there
> wasn't some sensitivity or discomfort. Hope it turns out well. Please
> let us know.

I'll definitely let you all know. It could help someone in the future.

> RE: The Furminator. I have one, and love it for Frank. However, I've
> recently discovered that
> all that hair isn't loose hair. There must be a blade in there,
> because it actually cuts the hair.
> Try this: run a thread in between the tines. It cuts it. Which is a
> *good* thing for us, because Frank
> is just a walking fluffball and needs his hair thinned in the summer.
> I did the thread-test because I finally got to thinking I was getting
> way too much hair off the cats for it
> all to be loose hair.

Oh, I'm certain it cuts hair, but I think it mostly removes hair that is
going to come out anyway. You have to use it with a light hand. I
actually guide it along his body with my finger running on his skin along
side it so I know I am not using too much pressure. I also take short
strokes. I think that minimizes any hair cutting. I also use it on my
dog and it definitely removes the undercoat only. I can tell because
that fur is fuzzy.

Rudy is a DSH, but dang that boy has a THICK coat. He sheds a TON.
After I pick him up or he sits on my lap, I look like I'm wearing a cat
coat. Levi has medium length hair and doesn't shed even a quarter of the
amount Rudy does.

Rudy escaped to the back yard again today. Levi was once again sitting
by the open back door. The dog came into my room, whining, to let me
know. I went out and hung out with him for a while and he was sooooo
happy. I think I will take him out with me a little bit each day since
he loves it so much. He stuck right by my side. So long as he keeps
doing that, I figure he's safe. Since I feel so bad that he is in pain,
I'd probably lasso the moon for him if I could.

--
Lynne

bookie
June 13th 07, 12:29 AM
On 12 Jun, 15:37, Lynne > wrote:
> on Tue, 12 Jun 2007 14:22:09 GMT, Sherry > wrote:
>
> > I'm also glad you're getting him to an ophthamologist. I think chronic
> > winky-eye
> > with no sign of tearing or other symptoms is odd. He wouldn't be
> > winking if there
> > wasn't some sensitivity or discomfort. Hope it turns out well. Please
> > let us know.
>
> I'll definitely let you all know. It could help someone in the future.
>
> > RE: The Furminator. I have one, and love it for Frank. However, I've
> > recently discovered that
> > all that hair isn't loose hair. There must be a blade in there,
> > because it actually cuts the hair.
> > Try this: run a thread in between the tines. It cuts it. Which is a
> > *good* thing for us, because Frank
> > is just a walking fluffball and needs his hair thinned in the summer.
> > I did the thread-test because I finally got to thinking I was getting
> > way too much hair off the cats for it
> > all to be loose hair.
>
> Oh, I'm certain it cuts hair, but I think it mostly removes hair that is
> going to come out anyway. You have to use it with a light hand. I
> actually guide it along his body with my finger running on his skin along
> side it so I know I am not using too much pressure. I also take short
> strokes. I think that minimizes any hair cutting. I also use it on my
> dog and it definitely removes the undercoat only. I can tell because
> that fur is fuzzy.
>
> Rudy is a DSH, but dang that boy has a THICK coat. He sheds a TON.
> After I pick him up or he sits on my lap, I look like I'm wearing a cat
> coat. Levi has medium length hair and doesn't shed even a quarter of the
> amount Rudy does.
>
> Rudy escaped to the back yard again today. Levi was once again sitting
> by the open back door. The dog came into my room, whining, to let me
> know. I went out and hung out with him for a while and he was sooooo
> happy. I think I will take him out with me a little bit each day since
> he loves it so much. He stuck right by my side. So long as he keeps
> doing that, I figure he's safe. Since I feel so bad that he is in pain,
> I'd probably lasso the moon for him if I could.
>
> --
> Lynne

where can I get one of these 'furminators'? they sound marvellous as
my jessie is a pain to comb and protests all the time, have given up
trying to find something she will approve of. probably not available
in the UK knowing my luck

MaryL
June 13th 07, 01:36 AM
"bookie" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> where can I get one of these 'furminators'? they sound marvellous as
> my jessie is a pain to comb and protests all the time, have given up
> trying to find something she will approve of. probably not available
> in the UK knowing my luck

Here are two locations in the UK that I found through a quick search (be
sure to get the blue or purple model for cats):
http://www.furminator.com/
http://www.simpsons-online.co.uk/

Use a light touch -- you will be amazed at the amount of fur this thing
extracts. Afterwards, smooth down the fur with your hands or a soft brush
to catch whatever loose fur is left behind (and be prepared to see *lots* of
fur flying).

MaryL

bookie
June 13th 07, 01:15 PM
On 13 Jun, 01:36, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER>
wrote:
> "bookie" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>

> > where can I get one of these 'furminators'? they sound marvellous as
> > my jessie is a pain to comb and protests all the time, have given up
> > trying to find something she will approve of. probably not available
> > in the UK knowing my luck
>
> Here are two locations in the UK that I found through a quick search (be
> sure to get the blue or purple model for cats):http://www.furminator.com/http://www.simpsons-online.co.uk/
>
> Use a light touch -- you will be amazed at the amount of fur this thing
> extracts. Afterwards, smooth down the fur with your hands or a soft brush
> to catch whatever loose fur is left behind (and be prepared to see *lots* of
> fur flying).
>
> MaryL

looked it up on google, it's 25!!!!!!
mmmmm, i will have a think but will probably end up buyign one anyway.

which size is best for cats? the small one is only an inch and a half
wide, is this wide enough? what about the medium which is 2 and a hlaf
inches wide?

concerned about you comment about 'fur flying', do you mean that said
cat will get agitated and start fightin?

bookie

MaryL
June 13th 07, 02:16 PM
oups.com...
wrote:
> "bookie" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>

> > where can I get one of these 'furminators'? they sound marvellous as
> > my jessie is a pain to comb and protests all the time, have given up
> > trying to find something she will approve of. probably not available
> > in the UK knowing my luck
>
> Here are two locations in the UK that I found through a quick search (be
> sure to get the blue or purple model for
> cats):http://www.furminator.com/http://www.simpsons-online.co.uk/
>
> Use a light touch -- you will be amazed at the amount of fur this thing
> extracts. Afterwards, smooth down the fur with your hands or a soft brush
> to catch whatever loose fur is left behind (and be prepared to see *lots*
> of
> fur flying).
>
> MaryL

looked it up on google, it's 25!!!!!!
mmmmm, i will have a think but will probably end up buyign one anyway.

which size is best for cats? the small one is only an inch and a half
wide, is this wide enough? what about the medium which is 2 and a hlaf
inches wide?

concerned about you comment about 'fur flying', do you mean that said
cat will get agitated and start fightin?

bookie

No, I didn't mean the cats would start fighting (but I can see why it wa
interpreted that way because that is a common expression). I meant that so
much fur is removed that you will literally see some flying around you.

I am using the small brush, and that is what is generally recommended for
cats. That way, you can use the same brush in smaller areas (under the chin
or getting in close to the legs, for example). You could probably use the
medium size on the sides and back, but they're too expensive to buy two
different sizes.

Are you able to buy through eBay? The blue one is usually available for
about $17.00 plus $5.00 postage within the U.S. Here is an example, and
this source shows postage of $9.00 for shipping worldwide. This auction
will end soon, but they are frequently shown.
http://tinyurl.com/2f8qyu

MaryL

Sherry
June 13th 07, 03:39 PM
On Jun 13, 7:15 am, bookie > wrote:
> On 13 Jun, 01:36, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER>
> wrote:
>

> > "bookie" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>
> > > where can I get one of these 'furminators'? they sound marvellous as
> > > my jessie is a pain to comb and protests all the time, have given up
> > > trying to find something she will approve of. probably not available
> > > in the UK knowing my luck
>
> > Here are two locations in the UK that I found through a quick search (be
> > sure to get the blue or purple model for cats):http://www.furminator.com/http://www.simpsons-online.co.uk/
>
> > Use a light touch -- you will be amazed at the amount of fur this thing
> > extracts. Afterwards, smooth down the fur with your hands or a soft brush
> > to catch whatever loose fur is left behind (and be prepared to see *lots* of
> > fur flying).
>
> > MaryL
>
> looked it up on google, it's 25!!!!!!
> mmmmm, i will have a think but will probably end up buyign one anyway.
>
> which size is best for cats? the small one is only an inch and a half
> wide, is this wide enough? what about the medium which is 2 and a hlaf
> inches wide?
>
> concerned about you comment about 'fur flying', do you mean that said
> cat will get agitated and start fightin?
>
> bookie- Hide quoted text -

I know, they're so expensive. But you'll have it forever, and I
honestly think
there's not another grooming tool on the market that's this good for
Frank.
I wouldn't buy the larger one, unless you've just got money to burn.
The small one does great, and it's good for that spot behind & between
the front legs where he always mats.

Sherry

Sherry