PDA

View Full Version : Bladder Infection


Buddy's Mom
June 11th 07, 09:28 PM
I had to take my 5 year old Maine Coon into the vet today for what was
diagnosed as a bladder infection. They did get a urine sample and
tested it - there was blood in it, white blood cells, etc. No
crystals. His symptoms were going to the litter box constantly and
either not urinating at all or just a couple of drops. Also I found a
drop of blood on the floor near the litter this morning, yesterday and
Saturday. This problem excalated this morning. So he got an
antibiotic shot and I have liquid antibiotics to give him and we go
back to retest in 2 weeks.

I asked why he got this as he is an only cat and doesn't go outside.
The vet asked if I was having any work done at the house - yep -
outside painters started Thurs. The vet said that stress can cause
this to happen.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

cindys
June 11th 07, 10:02 PM
"Buddy's Mom" > wrote in message
ups.com...
>I had to take my 5 year old Maine Coon into the vet today for what was
> diagnosed as a bladder infection. They did get a urine sample and
> tested it - there was blood in it, white blood cells, etc. No
> crystals. His symptoms were going to the litter box constantly and
> either not urinating at all or just a couple of drops. Also I found a
> drop of blood on the floor near the litter this morning, yesterday and
> Saturday. This problem excalated this morning. So he got an
> antibiotic shot and I have liquid antibiotics to give him and we go
> back to retest in 2 weeks.
>
> I asked why he got this as he is an only cat and doesn't go outside.
> The vet asked if I was having any work done at the house - yep -
> outside painters started Thurs. The vet said that stress can cause
> this to happen.
>
> Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
------------
Whether it's a human or an animal, stress lowers immunity (the ability to
fight off bacteria and diseases). Nasty bacteria are probably present in the
urinary tract all the time but are normally unable to gain a foothold
because the immune system fights them off, but with an immune system which
is depressed due to stress, the kitty may not be able to fight off the bad
bacteria, and an infection could result. That having been said, I have never
heard of stress causing a urinary tract infection (in either a human or an
animal), which doesn't mean it couldn't happen, just that I've never heard
of it. If someone told me that the cause of my cat's urinary infection was
stress, I would be kind of skeptical.

OTOH, after my cat Alex was boarded a few weeks ago (when we went away), the
day after I brought him home, he was throwing up and had diarrhea, which I
am convinced was stress-induced. I phoned the vet to see him, but she was
all booked up for the rest of the day. (She did verify with me that he was
urinating). She said I could bring him in first thing in the morning if he
was still sick, or if he needed more urgent care that evening to bring him
to the emergency vet. I searched on the Internet for a homeopathic remedy in
the meantime. I found that yogurt and pumpkin could reestablish the good
bacteria in the digestive system of a kitty with a tummyache. The plain
yogurt plus a dose of Pepcid improved the situation greatly. Later that
evening, Alex was much better, and by the following day, he was completely
back to normal. So, I never did have to bring him in to see the vet. But...
I will never board him again. Several people advised me against doing so
because of the stress, but it was too late to change my plans. Next time, I
guarantee I will make different arrangments. Live and learn :-(
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Buddy's Mom
June 11th 07, 10:21 PM
I only boarded once - not this Kitty. The cat came home skinny and
smelling badly - never again. Getting someone to come to your house
is probably the best solution - or don't go away - much easier,
but........................!!!

I just wondered how in the world he could get a bladder infection with
not going out or being around another animal. Strange.
Sharon

On Jun 11, 5:02?pm, "cindys" > wrote:
> "Buddy's Mom" > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...
>
>
>
> >I had to take my 5 year old Maine Coon into the vet today for what was
> > diagnosed as a bladder infection. They did get a urine sample and
> > tested it - there was blood in it, white blood cells, etc. No
> > crystals. His symptoms were going to the litter box constantly and
> > either not urinating at all or just a couple of drops. Also I found a
> > drop of blood on the floor near the litter this morning, yesterday and
> > Saturday. This problem excalated this morning. So he got an
> > antibiotic shot and I have liquid antibiotics to give him and we go
> > back to retest in 2 weeks.
>
> > I asked why he got this as he is an only cat and doesn't go outside.
> > The vet asked if I was having any work done at the house - yep -
> > outside painters started Thurs. The vet said that stress can cause
> > this to happen.
>
> > Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
>
> ------------
> Whether it's a human or an animal, stress lowers immunity (the ability to
> fight off bacteria and diseases). Nasty bacteria are probably present in the
> urinary tract all the time but are normally unable to gain a foothold
> because the immune system fights them off, but with an immune system which
> is depressed due to stress, the kitty may not be able to fight off the bad
> bacteria, and an infection could result. That having been said, I have never
> heard of stress causing a urinary tract infection (in either a human or an
> animal), which doesn't mean it couldn't happen, just that I've never heard
> of it. If someone told me that the cause of my cat's urinary infection was
> stress, I would be kind of skeptical.
>
> OTOH, after my cat Alex was boarded a few weeks ago (when we went away), the
> day after I brought him home, he was throwing up and had diarrhea, which I
> am convinced was stress-induced. I phoned the vet to see him, but she was
> all booked up for the rest of the day. (She did verify with me that he was
> urinating). She said I could bring him in first thing in the morning if he
> was still sick, or if he needed more urgent care that evening to bring him
> to the emergency vet. I searched on the Internet for a homeopathic remedy in
> the meantime. I found that yogurt and pumpkin could reestablish the good
> bacteria in the digestive system of a kitty with a tummyache. The plain
> yogurt plus a dose of Pepcid improved the situation greatly. Later that
> evening, Alex was much better, and by the following day, he was completely
> back to normal. So, I never did have to bring him in to see the vet. But...
> I will never board him again. Several people advised me against doing so
> because of the stress, but it was too late to change my plans. Next time, I
> guarantee I will make different arrangments. Live and learn :-(
> Best regards,
> ---Cindy S.- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -

cindys
June 11th 07, 10:38 PM
"Buddy's Mom" > wrote in message
ups.com...
>I only boarded once - not this Kitty. The cat came home skinny and
> smelling badly - never again. Getting someone to come to your house
> is probably the best solution - or don't go away - much easier,
> but........................!!!
>
> I just wondered how in the world he could get a bladder infection with
> not going out or being around another animal. Strange.
> Sharon
----------
Bladder infections are not contagious between animals that I have ever heard
of. There is a certain amount of bacteria in that part of the body, and
sometimes, for whatever reason, the nasty bacteria is able to gain a
foothold. Animals (and people) with various systemic diseases (like
diabetes, for example, which weakens the immune system) are very prone to
urine tract infections.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Spot
June 12th 07, 02:37 AM
You should probably dump ALL your cat litter and even consider getting a new
box for the cat. I'm sure it can be passed between cats by just using the
same box I've had it happen in the past. Even though you only have one cat
I wouldn't want to see him re-infect himself.

Any time one of mine shows signs of an infection I get them off to the vet
and right away, throw all the litter out and box included and start with
fresh.

Celeste



"Buddy's Mom" > wrote in message
ups.com...
>I had to take my 5 year old Maine Coon into the vet today for what was
> diagnosed as a bladder infection. They did get a urine sample and
> tested it - there was blood in it, white blood cells, etc. No
> crystals. His symptoms were going to the litter box constantly and
> either not urinating at all or just a couple of drops. Also I found a
> drop of blood on the floor near the litter this morning, yesterday and
> Saturday. This problem excalated this morning. So he got an
> antibiotic shot and I have liquid antibiotics to give him and we go
> back to retest in 2 weeks.
>
> I asked why he got this as he is an only cat and doesn't go outside.
> The vet asked if I was having any work done at the house - yep -
> outside painters started Thurs. The vet said that stress can cause
> this to happen.
>
> Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
>

Rene S.
June 12th 07, 06:02 PM
> I asked why he got this as he is an only cat and doesn't go outside.
> The vet asked if I was having any work done at the house - yep -
> outside painters started Thurs. The vet said that stress can cause
> this to happen.
>
> Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

I know someone who has a cat who is very sensitive to stress and his
owner. When there's a stressful period in the house hold, this cat
will almost always get a bladder infection--so yes, I agree with your
vet on this one.

What kind of food do you feed? He should be on a high-quality canned
diet to help flush out his kidneys/bladder. Cats, especially male,
need more moisture to prevent future urinary problems. Here's a good
article on feline nutrition: http://www.catinfo.org/