PDA

View Full Version : Questions about window perch


M.S.
June 12th 07, 07:41 AM
I recently purchased a window perch for my cats, after looking at the
instructions, I'm wondering if it's a piece of junk.

The perch is attached to the window sill with an adhesive velcro
strip. There are two legs that are attached to the perch that add
support. After attaching the adhesive velcro strip, it says to wait 8
hours before applying weight. It holds up to 25 pounds and measures
24Lx13Wx14H in.

My concerns are:
1) it won't be able to hold 25 pounds and will fall/break
2) too many cats will try to sit on it at once exceeding the weight
limit
3) if I choose to remove the perch from the window, the adhesive won't
come off and will leave ugly marks behind


Any ideas as to whether this perch will work?


I'm considering building my own but I'm not sure of the design. I
don't want to have to drill into the walls. I would also like
something that could be easily removed from the window.

---MIKE---
June 12th 07, 12:59 PM
I screwed the perch to the window sill. I also attached the legs as far
out as they will go. This made it necessary to extend the part of the
leg that touches the wall. While I don't encourage it, I have seen both
my cats on one perch (I have two perches). Tiger weighs 24 pounds and
Amber about 12. I had to replace one perch before I extended the legs.
The frame broke. Now, with the legs extended there have been no
problems for several years.


---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Ted Davis
June 12th 07, 02:17 PM
On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 23:41:42 -0700, "M.S." >
wrote:

>I recently purchased a window perch for my cats, after looking at the
>instructions, I'm wondering if it's a piece of junk.
>
>The perch is attached to the window sill with an adhesive velcro
>strip. There are two legs that are attached to the perch that add
>support. After attaching the adhesive velcro strip, it says to wait 8
>hours before applying weight. It holds up to 25 pounds and measures
>24Lx13Wx14H in.
>
>My concerns are:
>1) it won't be able to hold 25 pounds and will fall/break
>2) too many cats will try to sit on it at once exceeding the weight
>limit
>3) if I choose to remove the perch from the window, the adhesive won't
>come off and will leave ugly marks behind
>
>
>Any ideas as to whether this perch will work?

Rare is the adhesive that will hold for years, and then come off
cleanly. It should also be kept in mind that the load is not static:
cats use perches as launching pads - two cats exploding in different
directions at the same instant can place considerable stress on their
support.
>
>
>I'm considering building my own but I'm not sure of the design. I
>don't want to have to drill into the walls. I would also like
>something that could be easily removed from the window.

I solve the problem two ways: some windows get standard shelves
installed on sturdy brackets, others get a table or bookcase placed up
against the window. In the latter case, it's not too important that
the height be exact, but versions of both tables and bookcases that
can be readily shortened are easy to find. Bookcases work better than
small tables because the lower shelves can be loaded with heavy books
or other stuff to keep the cat explosions from toppling them.

--
T.E.D. )
Remove "gearbox.maem." from address - that one is dead

Rene S.
June 12th 07, 05:57 PM
>
> My concerns are:
> 1) it won't be able to hold 25 pounds and will fall/break
> 2) too many cats will try to sit on it at once exceeding the weight
> limit
> 3) if I choose to remove the perch from the window, the adhesive won't
> come off and will leave ugly marks behind
>
> Any ideas as to whether this perch will work?

My opinion is, it will work, but probably won't hold up very long.
Have you considered putting (or getting) a cat tree that has a round
bed or flat area that's about the same height as the window? Or Ted's
suggestion of a bookcase, or even a chair/couch could be moved there,
depending on how high up the window is.

mariib via CatKB.com
June 12th 07, 11:00 PM
M.S. wrote:
>I recently purchased a window perch for my cats, after looking at the
>instructions, I'm wondering if it's a piece of junk.
>
>The perch is attached to the window sill with an adhesive velcro
>strip. There are two legs that are attached to the perch that add
>support. After attaching the adhesive velcro strip, it says to wait 8
>hours before applying weight. It holds up to 25 pounds and measures
>24Lx13Wx14H in.
>
>My concerns are:
>1) it won't be able to hold 25 pounds and will fall/break
>2) too many cats will try to sit on it at once exceeding the weight
>limit
>3) if I choose to remove the perch from the window, the adhesive won't
>come off and will leave ugly marks behind
>
>Any ideas as to whether this perch will work?
>
>I'm considering building my own but I'm not sure of the design. I
>don't want to have to drill into the walls. I would also like
>something that could be easily removed from the window.

of course these perches work & there's nothing to be concerned about. I've
had 2 similar window perches up for probably 10 years or so, this style. The
perches easily can be lifted off for cleaning, recovering or whatever (yes,
by firmly lifting up & off, then when ready to put back in place, by
carefully matching up the Velcro edges & firmly pushing down). The perches do
hold & I often see 2 cats on one perch. Since I've had these window perches,
all my cats have weighed from 7-13 pounds. Over the years as the fabric
thinned, I've replaced the covers myself. The original Velcro did weaken
after a couple years & released - it wasn't a big deal, the window perch
ended up on the floor. It certainly has never stopped any of my cats from
sleeping in these perches most of the day. I replaced the original Velcro
with wider industrial-strength Velcro & have not used any other extra
reinforcement. If you decide to take down the perches, yes, there will be
bits of the adhesive left behind & you will have to scrape down & repaint the
window ledge. The window itself & the wall where the legs rest against will
not be damaged in any way.

Here's a couple pictures of my cats in these perches. The first picture is
from about 2 years ago showing my cats Little Devil & Coco
http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2039898140050028271iFmAdj

The second B&W picture is of my cat Tigra (RB Sept 2005) on the same perch 5
years ago.
M.

--
Message posted via CatKB.com
http://www.catkb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/cat-health/200706/1

mariib via CatKB.com
June 12th 07, 11:03 PM
M.S. wrote:
>I recently purchased a window perch for my cats, after looking at the
>instructions, I'm wondering if it's a piece of junk.
>
>The perch is attached to the window sill with an adhesive velcro
>strip. There are two legs that are attached to the perch that add
>support. After attaching the adhesive velcro strip, it says to wait 8
>hours before applying weight. It holds up to 25 pounds and measures
>24Lx13Wx14H in.
>
>My concerns are:
>1) it won't be able to hold 25 pounds and will fall/break
>2) too many cats will try to sit on it at once exceeding the weight
>limit
>3) if I choose to remove the perch from the window, the adhesive won't
>come off and will leave ugly marks behind
>
>Any ideas as to whether this perch will work?
>
>I'm considering building my own but I'm not sure of the design. I
>don't want to have to drill into the walls. I would also like
>something that could be easily removed from the window.

Sorry - forgot the link for the second picture of one of my past cats in the
window perch - reposting with the 2nd link:
of course these perches work & there's nothing to be concerned about. I've
had 2 similar window perches up for probably 10 years or so, this style. The
perches easily can be lifted off for cleaning, recovering or whatever (yes,
by firmly lifting up & off, then when ready to put back in place, by
carefully matching up the Velcro edges & firmly pushing down). The perches do
hold & I often see 2 cats on one perch. Since I've had these window perches,
all my cats have weighed from 7-13 pounds. Over the years as the fabric
thinned, I've replaced the covers myself. The original Velcro did weaken
after a couple years & released - it wasn't a big deal, the window perch
ended up on the floor. It certainly has never stopped any of my cats from
sleeping in these perches most of the day. I replaced the original Velcro
with wider industrial-strength Velcro & have not used any other extra
reinforcement. If you decide to take down the perches, yes, there will be
bits of the adhesive left behind & you will have to scrape down & repaint the
window ledge. The window itself & the wall where the legs rest against will
not be damaged in any way.

Here's a couple pictures of my cats in these perches. The first picture is
from about 2 years ago showing my cats Little Devil & Coco
http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2039898140050028271iFmAdj

The second B&W picture is of my cat Tigra (RB Sept 2005) on the same perch 5
years ago.
http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2276791960050028271vnMHEW
M.

--
Message posted via CatKB.com
http://www.catkb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/cat-health/200706/1

Cheryl
June 14th 07, 03:17 AM
On Tue 12 Jun 2007 02:41:42a, M.S. wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
oups.com>:

> I recently purchased a window perch for my cats, after looking
> at the instructions, I'm wondering if it's a piece of junk.
>
> The perch is attached to the window sill with an adhesive velcro
> strip. There are two legs that are attached to the perch that
> add support. After attaching the adhesive velcro strip, it says
> to wait 8 hours before applying weight. It holds up to 25 pounds
> and measures 24Lx13Wx14H in.
>
> My concerns are:
> 1) it won't be able to hold 25 pounds and will fall/break
> 2) too many cats will try to sit on it at once exceeding the
> weight limit
> 3) if I choose to remove the perch from the window, the adhesive
> won't come off and will leave ugly marks behind
>
>
> Any ideas as to whether this perch will work?
>
>
> I'm considering building my own but I'm not sure of the design.
> I don't want to have to drill into the walls. I would also like
> something that could be easily removed from the window.
>
>

I have 2 of those perches, both of faintly differing designs. I've
had a couple of incidents with them, too, but after fixing the
problem the cats forgot that they got dumped off of them and
continued to use them.

Both perches use the velcro strip to hold it on the window sill,
and both use leverage with the legs that rest against the wall.

Problem one: The velcro didn't stick to the sill even though I let
it sit 24 hours before putting up the perch, perch fell down and
kitty got a surprise landing to the floor. Solved by using a heavy-
duty stapler to hold the velcro strip down. No problems since. I
have had to change the part of the velcro strip that sticks to the
window sill once, and it came up without leaving anything behind.
Even if it did, I'd just sand and touch up with paint.

Problem two: One of the perches has legs that aren't quite long
enough. When they rest on the wall, the perch is slanted at such an
angle that both isn't comfortable for the cat, and causes the
velcro pieces to come apart. Solved by nailing a 2x2 the width of
the perch to the wall where the legs meet it, making the reach a
little shorter. Can also be accomplished by using PVC pipe cut to
size that fits between the wall and the 90 degree angle of the leg,
which will also extend the leg the correct distance to the wall
that keeps the perch flat and comfortable.

Minor design flaws, but the perches are worth it. Both perches have
withstood turf battles resulting in more than 25 lbs on them, and
landings from leaps across furniture to get there, and with the
design adjustments, have stood up well. I also use small stand-
alone perches that are window height to provide lounging access to
windows.


--
Cheryl

dgk
June 14th 07, 04:39 PM
On 14 Jun 2007 02:17:02 GMT, Cheryl >
wrote:

>On Tue 12 Jun 2007 02:41:42a, M.S. wrote in
>rec.pets.cats.health+behav
oups.com>:
>
>> I recently purchased a window perch for my cats, after looking
>> at the instructions, I'm wondering if it's a piece of junk.
>>
>> The perch is attached to the window sill with an adhesive velcro
>> strip. There are two legs that are attached to the perch that
>> add support. After attaching the adhesive velcro strip, it says
>> to wait 8 hours before applying weight. It holds up to 25 pounds
>> and measures 24Lx13Wx14H in.
>>
>> My concerns are:
>> 1) it won't be able to hold 25 pounds and will fall/break
>> 2) too many cats will try to sit on it at once exceeding the
>> weight limit
>> 3) if I choose to remove the perch from the window, the adhesive
>> won't come off and will leave ugly marks behind
>>
>>
>> Any ideas as to whether this perch will work?
>>
>>
>> I'm considering building my own but I'm not sure of the design.
>> I don't want to have to drill into the walls. I would also like
>> something that could be easily removed from the window.
>>
>>
>
>I have 2 of those perches, both of faintly differing designs. I've
>had a couple of incidents with them, too, but after fixing the
>problem the cats forgot that they got dumped off of them and
>continued to use them.
>
>Both perches use the velcro strip to hold it on the window sill,
>and both use leverage with the legs that rest against the wall.
>
>Problem one: The velcro didn't stick to the sill even though I let
>it sit 24 hours before putting up the perch, perch fell down and
>kitty got a surprise landing to the floor. Solved by using a heavy-
>duty stapler to hold the velcro strip down. No problems since. I
>have had to change the part of the velcro strip that sticks to the
>window sill once, and it came up without leaving anything behind.
>Even if it did, I'd just sand and touch up with paint.
>
>Problem two: One of the perches has legs that aren't quite long
>enough. When they rest on the wall, the perch is slanted at such an
>angle that both isn't comfortable for the cat, and causes the
>velcro pieces to come apart. Solved by nailing a 2x2 the width of
>the perch to the wall where the legs meet it, making the reach a
>little shorter. Can also be accomplished by using PVC pipe cut to
>size that fits between the wall and the 90 degree angle of the leg,
>which will also extend the leg the correct distance to the wall
>that keeps the perch flat and comfortable.
>
>Minor design flaws, but the perches are worth it. Both perches have
>withstood turf battles resulting in more than 25 lbs on them, and
>landings from leaps across furniture to get there, and with the
>design adjustments, have stood up well. I also use small stand-
>alone perches that are window height to provide lounging access to
>windows.


I had a similar story. The velcro didn't hold very well and I just
nailed it to the sill. Hey, it's my house and I'll nail it if I want.
The leg supports also weren't too good but it works fine. Once the
nails were in I think I could sit on it without it collapsing. It's
really nothing but some cardboard or something as a base, then some
foam, and the plushy top.

I just built my own on a south side of the house bedroom window. I
took a three foot by two foot piece of wood and stapled on some rug
remnents. Then I cut two 2x4 pieces to the correct size to use as legs
and nailed the wood to the sill and the legs. It's been there for 11
years. They cats claw the wood legs, which is fine by me. All three of
them lie side by side watching the backyard.

It doesn't look very good to be honest, but, well, it's my house and
if guests don't like it (some don't) they can leave.

mariib via CatKB.com
June 14th 07, 05:12 PM
Cheryl wrote:
>> I recently purchased a window perch for my cats, after looking
>> at the instructions, I'm wondering if it's a piece of junk.
>[quoted text clipped - 17 lines]
>> I don't want to have to drill into the walls. I would also like
>> something that could be easily removed from the window.
>
>I have 2 of those perches, both of faintly differing designs. I've
>had a couple of incidents with them, too, but after fixing the
>problem the cats forgot that they got dumped off of them and
>continued to use them.
>
>Both perches use the velcro strip to hold it on the window sill,
>and both use leverage with the legs that rest against the wall.
>
>Problem one: The velcro didn't stick to the sill even though I let
>it sit 24 hours before putting up the perch, perch fell down and
>kitty got a surprise landing to the floor. Solved by using a heavy-
>duty stapler to hold the velcro strip down. No problems since. I
>have had to change the part of the velcro strip that sticks to the
>window sill once, and it came up without leaving anything behind.
>Even if it did, I'd just sand and touch up with paint.
>
>Problem two: One of the perches has legs that aren't quite long
>enough. When they rest on the wall, the perch is slanted at such an
>angle that both isn't comfortable for the cat, and causes the
>velcro pieces to come apart. Solved by nailing a 2x2 the width of
>the perch to the wall where the legs meet it, making the reach a
>little shorter. Can also be accomplished by using PVC pipe cut to
>size that fits between the wall and the 90 degree angle of the leg,
>which will also extend the leg the correct distance to the wall
>that keeps the perch flat and comfortable.
>
>Minor design flaws, but the perches are worth it. Both perches have
>withstood turf battles resulting in more than 25 lbs on them, and
>landings from leaps across furniture to get there, and with the
>design adjustments, have stood up well. I also use small stand-
>alone perches that are window height to provide lounging access to
>windows.
>
My cats love their window hammocks & are in & out throughout the day. I
replaced the original thin Velcro strips with industrial-grade Velcro from an
automotive supply. I bought my 2nd hammock a couple years after the first but
the leg length on both is OK. The most tedious job was doubling over the
fleece covering material when the original wore through after many years &
poking the screws through both layers of the material - it's really well-
padded now as can be seen in the link I posted of Coco & Little Devil in the
window on their perches.
http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2039898140050028271iFmAdj

This is the style of window perch/hammock I've got :
http://www.sortprice.com/reviews/Flexi__Mat_Fleece_Cat_Window_Hammock

M.

--
Message posted via CatKB.com
http://www.catkb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/cat-health/200706/1

dgk
June 14th 07, 07:56 PM
On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 16:12:57 GMT, "mariib via CatKB.com" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>My cats love their window hammocks & are in & out throughout the day. I
>replaced the original thin Velcro strips with industrial-grade Velcro from an
>automotive supply. I bought my 2nd hammock a couple years after the first but
>the leg length on both is OK. The most tedious job was doubling over the
>fleece covering material when the original wore through after many years &
>poking the screws through both layers of the material - it's really well-
>padded now as can be seen in the link I posted of Coco & Little Devil in the
>window on their perches.
>http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2039898140050028271iFmAdj
>
>This is the style of window perch/hammock I've got :
>http://www.sortprice.com/reviews/Flexi__Mat_Fleece_Cat_Window_Hammock
>
>M.

That is so cute. I wonder if I have any space to put some...

---MIKE---
June 15th 07, 02:09 AM
Here is a picture of Amber on one of my window perches. Notice how I
extended the feet.

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/View?u=1777604&a=13746150&p=71529480&Sequence=0&res=high


---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Cheryl
June 15th 07, 02:53 AM
On Thu 14 Jun 2007 09:09:00p, ---MIKE--- wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
>:

>
> Here is a picture of Amber on one of my window perches. Notice
> how I extended the feet.
>
> http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/View?u=1777604&a=13746150&p=71529
> 480&Sequence=0&res=high


Very nice! Yup, you were the one that posted a while back about
using PVC pipe to extend the legs.

I saw a pet show on TV once and the host was showing how to make a
window perch that could fold down when you wanted it out of the
way. He installed hinges so that the legs could fold inward and
allow the shelf to also fold down. I wouldn't need to do that, but
I'm sure some would like that option.

--
Cheryl