PDA

View Full Version : anyone have experience giving their cat Milbemax?

Nadia N.
June 12th 07, 04:33 PM
I recently moved to Spain, to a heartworm-risk area. My 6 year-old cat
Kotyo is an indoor-only cat, and we do have mosquito screens on all our
windows, but still mosquitoes seem to get in from time to time. So I
need to get some heartworm protection for him.

I've found that the only heartworm-prevention medicine I can get from my
vet here in Spain seems to be Milbemax (made by Novartis).

I've never heard of it before. If anyone has any experience giving it to
their cats, can you tell me about it? Have there been any side-effects,
bad reactions, etc?

My little monster has a sensitive stomach, so he's on Hill's i/d canned
food. He throws up any kind of dry food. I don't want to give him an
upset tummy with the Milbemax. He also has some urinary problems (he got
blocked in March of last year and was at the vet's for a week), and he
still has infrequent episodes where he strains/passes some blood in the
litterbox. Is it safe to give Milbemax to cats which are prone to
blockages/UTIs?

I looked at Novartis' Milbemax info site
(http://www.ah.novartis.com/products/en/cab/milbemax.shtml), but they
mostly seem to have information about giving it to dogs...

thanks,
Nadia and Kotyo

--
Little Monster pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova/Kotyo
Blog: http://littlemonstermusings.blogspot.com/

Gail
June 12th 07, 04:47 PM
Since he is indoors only ( a wise choice), it may not be worth it to give
him heartworm meds (especially since he has a sensitive stomach). I
uderstand that a few mosquitoes do get inside, but it may only be a very
small percent....
Gail
"Nadia N." > wrote in message
>I recently moved to Spain, to a heartworm-risk area. My 6 year-old cat
>Kotyo is an indoor-only cat, and we do have mosquito screens on all our
>windows, but still mosquitoes seem to get in from time to time. So I need
>to get some heartworm protection for him.
>
> I've found that the only heartworm-prevention medicine I can get from my
> vet here in Spain seems to be Milbemax (made by Novartis).
>
> I've never heard of it before. If anyone has any experience giving it to
> their cats, can you tell me about it? Have there been any side-effects,
> bad reactions, etc?
>
> My little monster has a sensitive stomach, so he's on Hill's i/d canned
> food. He throws up any kind of dry food. I don't want to give him an upset
> tummy with the Milbemax. He also has some urinary problems (he got blocked
> in March of last year and was at the vet's for a week), and he still has
> infrequent episodes where he strains/passes some blood in the litterbox.
> Is it safe to give Milbemax to cats which are prone to blockages/UTIs?
>
> I looked at Novartis' Milbemax info site
> (http://www.ah.novartis.com/products/en/cab/milbemax.shtml), but they
> mostly seem to have information about giving it to dogs...
>
> thanks,
> Nadia and Kotyo
>
> --
> Little Monster pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova/Kotyo
> Blog: http://littlemonstermusings.blogspot.com/

bookie
June 13th 07, 12:23 AM
On 12 Jun, 16:33, "Nadia N." > wrote:
> I recently moved to Spain, to a heartworm-risk area. My 6 year-old cat
> Kotyo is an indoor-only cat, and we do have mosquito screens on all our
> windows, but still mosquitoes seem to get in from time to time. So I
> need to get some heartworm protection for him.
>
> I've found that the only heartworm-prevention medicine I can get from my
> vet here in Spain seems to be Milbemax (made by Novartis).
>
> I've never heard of it before. If anyone has any experience giving it to
> their cats, can you tell me about it? Have there been any side-effects,
> bad reactions, etc?
>
> My little monster has a sensitive stomach, so he's on Hill's i/d canned
> food. He throws up any kind of dry food. I don't want to give him an
> upset tummy with the Milbemax. He also has some urinary problems (he got
> blocked in March of last year and was at the vet's for a week), and he
> still has infrequent episodes where he strains/passes some blood in the
> litterbox. Is it safe to give Milbemax to cats which are prone to
> blockages/UTIs?
>
> I looked at Novartis' Milbemax info site
> (http://www.ah.novartis.com/products/en/cab/milbemax.shtml), but they
> mostly seem to have information about giving it to dogs...
>
> thanks,
> Nadia and Kotyo
>
> --
> Little Monster pictures:http://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova/Kotyo
> Blog:http://littlemonstermusings.blogspot.com/

yes my cats had milbemax last week, no problems but then mine are both
ultra hardy outdoorsy moggies (until i got her a few months ago, one
of mine lives pretty much outdoors thanks to her heartless previous
owners). one is on felimazole for hyperthyroidism and no problems with
that either

the younger one has been off her food a bit but that is probably
because it has been unseasonably hot here for a few days and quiet
sticky, and I tried giving her stuff she hadn't had before and she was
a bit wary, nothign to do with the milbemax. didn't stop her cleaning
up a plate of roast turkey earlier this evening anyway.
bookie

Nadia N.
June 13th 07, 11:00 PM
bookie wrote:

> yes my cats had milbemax last week, no problems but then mine are both
> ultra hardy outdoorsy moggies (until i got her a few months ago, one
> of mine lives pretty much outdoors thanks to her heartless previous
> owners). one is on felimazole for hyperthyroidism and no problems with
> that either
>
> the younger one has been off her food a bit but that is probably
> because it has been unseasonably hot here for a few days and quiet
> sticky, and I tried giving her stuff she hadn't had before and she was
> a bit wary, nothign to do with the milbemax. didn't stop her cleaning
> up a plate of roast turkey earlier this evening anyway.
> bookie

Thank you bookie.

Nadia (and Kotyo)
--
Little Monster pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova/Kotyo
Blog: http://littlemonstermusings.blogspot.com/

Nadia N.
June 13th 07, 11:21 PM
Gail wrote:
> Since he is indoors only ( a wise choice), it may not be worth it to give
> him heartworm meds (especially since he has a sensitive stomach). I
> uderstand that a few mosquitoes do get inside, but it may only be a very
> small percent....
> Gail

You're right that the chance of him getting bitten and infected is
pretty small. But I can't risk it. I have read such scary things about
heartworm in cats... I'm not wild about giving him meds, but I am
responsible for bringing him to Spain from Canada (where there were no
heartworm carrying mosquitoes). I would never forgive myself if
something happens to him because I brought him here. He's my baby :-)

Fortunately all I have heard about Milbemax so far has been good. People
have even used it instead of other brands because it was more gentle on
kitty tummies.

Nadia (and Kotyo)