PDA

View Full Version : Bladder Infection - still

Buddy's Mom
June 15th 07, 10:17 PM
Monday I took the kitty to the vet for a bladder infection with
blood. Seemed to improve for a few days and then started sliding
backwards again. Wasn't eating, wasn't acting like he normally does,
etc. Not going to the litter every 15 minutes like he was on Monday -
I was afraid he was plugged now. So.....took him back to the vet
today [a different vet in the same practice]. There is still some
blood in the urine. He gave sub q fluids, another antibiotic shot and
an antiinflamatory shot. Suggested a water fountain - which I went
out an purchased.

So, now what???? Why this set back?

And, how long until kitties start using the fountain?

This vet said that if this doesn't make him better, I will probably
have to bring him in for xrays to see if there are stones. When they
checked the urine on Monday, they said no crystals.

Gail
June 15th 07, 11:22 PM
He should be checked for stones. Is he on a special diet for feline
urological disorder (ie. no dry food, food low in magnesium, etc).
Gail
"Buddy's Mom" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> Monday I took the kitty to the vet for a bladder infection with
> blood. Seemed to improve for a few days and then started sliding
> backwards again. Wasn't eating, wasn't acting like he normally does,
> etc. Not going to the litter every 15 minutes like he was on Monday -
> I was afraid he was plugged now. So.....took him back to the vet
> today [a different vet in the same practice]. There is still some
> blood in the urine. He gave sub q fluids, another antibiotic shot and
> an antiinflamatory shot. Suggested a water fountain - which I went
> out an purchased.
>
> So, now what???? Why this set back?
>
> And, how long until kitties start using the fountain?
>
> This vet said that if this doesn't make him better, I will probably
> have to bring him in for xrays to see if there are stones. When they
> checked the urine on Monday, they said no crystals.

Buddy's Mom
June 15th 07, 11:47 PM
Hi Gail
No he eats canned Fancy Feast. This week is the first bout with this
that I know of. He is 5 and I adopted him from the shelter 2 years
ago. The vet is wondering if that is why he was put in the shelter.
But for 2 years, we have had no problem.

On Jun 15, 6:22?pm, "Gail" > wrote:
> He should be checked for stones. Is he on a special diet for feline
> urological disorder (ie. no dry food, food low in magnesium, etc).
> Gail"Buddy's Mom" > wrote in message
>
> ps.com...
>

> > Monday I took the kitty to the vet for a bladder infection with
> > blood. Seemed to improve for a few days and then started sliding
> > backwards again. Wasn't eating, wasn't acting like he normally does,
> > etc. Not going to the litter every 15 minutes like he was on Monday -
> > I was afraid he was plugged now. So.....took him back to the vet
> > today [a different vet in the same practice]. There is still some
> > blood in the urine. He gave sub q fluids, another antibiotic shot and
> > an antiinflamatory shot. Suggested a water fountain - which I went
> > out an purchased.
>
> > So, now what???? Why this set back?
>
> > And, how long until kitties start using the fountain?
>
> > This vet said that if this doesn't make him better, I will probably
> > have to bring him in for xrays to see if there are stones. When they
> > checked the urine on Monday, they said no crystals.- Hide quoted text -

Gail
June 16th 07, 12:29 AM
You should change his food. Ask your vet. Male cats are more prone to
bladder infections. They are quite common.
"Buddy's Mom" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hi Gail
> No he eats canned Fancy Feast. This week is the first bout with this
> that I know of. He is 5 and I adopted him from the shelter 2 years
> ago. The vet is wondering if that is why he was put in the shelter.
> But for 2 years, we have had no problem.
>
> On Jun 15, 6:22?pm, "Gail" > wrote:
>> He should be checked for stones. Is he on a special diet for feline
>> urological disorder (ie. no dry food, food low in magnesium, etc).
>> Gail"Buddy's Mom" > wrote in message
>>
>> ps.com...
>>

>> > Monday I took the kitty to the vet for a bladder infection with
>> > blood. Seemed to improve for a few days and then started sliding
>> > backwards again. Wasn't eating, wasn't acting like he normally does,
>> > etc. Not going to the litter every 15 minutes like he was on Monday -
>> > I was afraid he was plugged now. So.....took him back to the vet
>> > today [a different vet in the same practice]. There is still some
>> > blood in the urine. He gave sub q fluids, another antibiotic shot and
>> > an antiinflamatory shot. Suggested a water fountain - which I went
>> > out an purchased.
>>
>> > So, now what???? Why this set back?
>>
>> > And, how long until kitties start using the fountain?
>>
>> > This vet said that if this doesn't make him better, I will probably
>> > have to bring him in for xrays to see if there are stones. When they
>> > checked the urine on Monday, they said no crystals.- Hide quoted text -

Phil P.
June 16th 07, 07:27 AM
"Buddy's Mom" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> Monday I took the kitty to the vet for a bladder infection with
> blood. Seemed to improve for a few days and then started sliding
> backwards again. Wasn't eating, wasn't acting like he normally does,
> etc. Not going to the litter every 15 minutes like he was on Monday -
> I was afraid he was plugged now. So.....took him back to the vet
> today [a different vet in the same practice]. There is still some
> blood in the urine. He gave sub q fluids, another antibiotic shot and
> an antiinflamatory shot. Suggested a water fountain - which I went
> out an purchased.
>
> So, now what???? Why this set back?
>
> And, how long until kitties start using the fountain?

Some cats are a little frightened and wary of water fountains. Leave it off
for a few days and just use it as regular water bowl. After he's used to
drinking from it for a few days, turn it on and set it on its slowest speed
and gradually increase the flow after a few days.

> This vet said that if this doesn't make him better, I will probably
> have to bring him in for xrays to see if there are stones. When they
> checked the urine on Monday, they said no crystals.

Sounds like he might have feline interstitial cystitis- which is basically
inflammation of the bladder wall. He could have a small defect in the GAG
(glycosaminoglycan) layer that coats the lining of the bladder that's
allowing some of the noxious components of urine to penetrate the urothelium
and induce inflammation. Inflammation in the bladder wall causes the same
type of nervous sensation that a full bladder does-- so he has the urge to
urinate whether his bladder if full or empty. If his bladder is empty, he
will strain to urinate because he feels like he has a full bladder and has
to go. The blood in the urine can be caused by small tears in the bladder
mucosa from straining to urinate. Crystals can also irritate and inflame the
bladder wall and cause bleeding. But since no crystals were found in his
urine, my guess is has FIC. Canned food only, lots of water, minimizing
stress, and a gag supplement is the best therapy.

Best of luck,

Phil

Buddy's Mom
June 16th 07, 11:04 AM
Thank you Phil. What is a gag supplement?
Sharon

On Jun 16, 2:27?am, "Phil P." > wrote:
> "Buddy's Mom" > wrote in message
>
> ps.com...
>
> > Monday I took the kitty to the vet for a bladder infection with
> > blood. Seemed to improve for a few days and then started sliding
> > backwards again. Wasn't eating, wasn't acting like he normally does,
> > etc. Not going to the litter every 15 minutes like he was on Monday -
> > I was afraid he was plugged now. So.....took him back to the vet
> > today [a different vet in the same practice]. There is still some
> > blood in the urine. He gave sub q fluids, another antibiotic shot and
> > an antiinflamatory shot. Suggested a water fountain - which I went
> > out an purchased.
>
> > So, now what???? Why this set back?
>
> > And, how long until kitties start using the fountain?
>
> Some cats are a little frightened and wary of water fountains. Leave it off
> for a few days and just use it as regular water bowl. After he's used to
> drinking from it for a few days, turn it on and set it on its slowest speed
> and gradually increase the flow after a few days.
>

> > This vet said that if this doesn't make him better, I will probably
> > have to bring him in for xrays to see if there are stones. When they
> > checked the urine on Monday, they said no crystals.
>
> Sounds like he might have feline interstitial cystitis- which is basically
> inflammation of the bladder wall. He could have a small defect in the GAG
> (glycosaminoglycan) layer that coats the lining of the bladder that's
> allowing some of the noxious components of urine to penetrate the urothelium
> and induce inflammation. Inflammation in the bladder wall causes the same
> type of nervous sensation that a full bladder does-- so he has the urge to
> urinate whether his bladder if full or empty. If his bladder is empty, he
> will strain to urinate because he feels like he has a full bladder and has
> to go. The blood in the urine can be caused by small tears in the bladder
> mucosa from straining to urinate. Crystals can also irritate and inflame the
> bladder wall and cause bleeding. But since no crystals were found in his
> urine, my guess is has FIC. Canned food only, lots of water, minimizing
> stress, and a gag supplement is the best therapy.
>
> Best of luck,
>
> Phil

Alison[_2_]
June 16th 07, 06:52 PM
"Buddy's Mom" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> Monday I took the kitty to the vet for a bladder infection with
> blood. Seemed to improve for a few days and then started sliding
> backwards again. Wasn't eating, wasn't acting like he normally does,
> etc. Not going to the litter every 15 minutes like he was on Monday -
> I was afraid he was plugged now. So.....took him back to the vet
> today [a different vet in the same practice]. There is still some
> blood in the urine. He gave sub q fluids, another antibiotic shot and
> an antiinflamatory shot. Suggested a water fountain - which I went
> out an purchased.
>
> So, now what???? Why this set back?
>
> And, how long until kitties start using the fountain?
>
> This vet said that if this doesn't make him better, I will probably
> have to bring him in for xrays to see if there are stones. When they
> checked the urine on Monday, they said no crystals.>>.

It could be his bladder and urethra are still inflamed. I add a little
water to my cat's "wet" food. She also has a GAG supplement and a Feliway
diffuser.
There is info here about FIC, Feline Idiopathic Cystitis .
http://www.fabcats.org/flutd.html
Alison

Buddy's Mom
June 16th 07, 08:59 PM
Thanks to all who helped. I think I will get a diffuser and ask the
vet about GAG. After all of this they probably should xray him so
that we know what we are dealing with - this has been a week from hell
for both of us! I tried putting water in his food the other day and
he wouldn't eat it. He still isn't eating normally - and that worries
me and makes me wonder if the kidneys are affected.

On Jun 16, 1:52?pm, "Alison" > wrote:
> "Buddy's Mom" > wrote in message
>
> ps.com...
>

> > Monday I took the kitty to the vet for a bladder infection with
> > blood. Seemed to improve for a few days and then started sliding
> > backwards again. Wasn't eating, wasn't acting like he normally does,
> > etc. Not going to the litter every 15 minutes like he was on Monday -
> > I was afraid he was plugged now. So.....took him back to the vet
> > today [a different vet in the same practice]. There is still some
> > blood in the urine. He gave sub q fluids, another antibiotic shot and
> > an antiinflamatory shot. Suggested a water fountain - which I went
> > out an purchased.
>
> > So, now what???? Why this set back?
>
> > And, how long until kitties start using the fountain?
>
> > This vet said that if this doesn't make him better, I will probably
> > have to bring him in for xrays to see if there are stones. When they
> > checked the urine on Monday, they said no crystals.>>.
>
> It could be his bladder and urethra are still inflamed. I add a little
> water to my cat's "wet" food. She also has a GAG supplement and a Feliway
> diffuser.
> There is info here about FIC, Feline Idiopathic Cystitis .http://www.fabcats.org/flutd.html
> Alison- Hide quoted text -

Phil P.
June 17th 07, 11:34 PM
"Buddy's Mom" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Thank you Phil. What is a gag supplement?
> Sharon

Sharon,

Its a glucosamine supplement w/ mixed glycosaminoglycans. You can buy it
online w/o a script- ~$12/80 caps. Google "Cosequin for cats".

Phil