PDA

View Full Version : Allergies?

jmc
June 16th 07, 12:08 PM
Can an allergic reaction to something affect only one eye in a cat? I
know that with my "allergy eyes" my left eye's more affected than the
right...

Why I ask is, Meep occasionally gets a watery eye. Just extra tears,
clear fluid, usually for about 10 minutes or so. It's usually the same
eye. She doesn't squint or show any discomfort, and a careful inspection
shows no abnormalities (eyelid membranes normal, no fuzziness/clouding
to the eyeball, no sign of damage anywhere).

Used to be a very occasional thing, but lately it's been more frequent.
But then my eyes itch more frequently too, so perhaps we're allergic
to the same thing (or each other <g>).

When it was infrequent, I just figured she'd gotten something in her
eye, it was infrequent enough that I never really noticed that it's
primarily one eye.

Like many cats, vet visits are pretty traumatic, so I'd not want to drag
her off to the vet for nothing. She's going in another month or so
anyway, for her shots.

Thoughts?

jmc

Buddy's Mom
June 16th 07, 01:54 PM
Yes, I had a cat who had an allergy eye every summer - always the same
eye. Sometimes it would even be swollen shut and just clear water ran
out. The vet gave me some eye drops that really helped. When you go
to the vet, explain the problem and ask about the drops. I don't
remember what they were now.

My current kitty has runny eyes in both eyes - just this week.