PDA

View Full Version : buffy the bulimic cat

June 17th 07, 04:58 PM
Hi,

My cat buffy frequently throws up the food she has just eaten, within
20-30 mins of eating. This leaves a mess, unless my other cat eats it
up, which she is kind enough to do on most occasions.

What I notice with buffy is that she doesn't really chew her food and
she wolfs it down. Someone told me also that she might be eating too
fast so to serve smaller portions, but unless I watch over every bite
she eats, and make sure she takes time between bites, I haven't been
able to eliminate this problem.

I am wondering if anyone else has experienced anything like this, and
if you have any success dealing with it.

Thanks,
Steve

cindys
June 17th 07, 05:34 PM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi,
>
> My cat buffy frequently throws up the food she has just eaten, within
> 20-30 mins of eating. This leaves a mess, unless my other cat eats it
> up, which she is kind enough to do on most occasions.
>
> What I notice with buffy is that she doesn't really chew her food and
> she wolfs it down. Someone told me also that she might be eating too
> fast so to serve smaller portions, but unless I watch over every bite
> she eats, and make sure she takes time between bites, I haven't been
> able to eliminate this problem.
>
> I am wondering if anyone else has experienced anything like this, and
> if you have any success dealing with it.
----------
I've never tried this myself, so I don't know if it works, but I have read
that putting one or more large stones in your cat's food dish along with the
food will make it more difficult for her to get to the food, and she will be
forced to eat more slowly and with smaller bites. Then, you won't have to
supervise her eating. It goes without saying that the stone(s) should be too
large for her to take in her mouth; they are not supposed to create a
choking hazard.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

dgk
June 18th 07, 05:31 PM
On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 15:58:54 -0000, wrote:

>Hi,
>
>My cat buffy frequently throws up the food she has just eaten, within
>20-30 mins of eating. This leaves a mess, unless my other cat eats it
>up, which she is kind enough to do on most occasions.
>
>What I notice with buffy is that she doesn't really chew her food and
>she wolfs it down. Someone told me also that she might be eating too
>fast so to serve smaller portions, but unless I watch over every bite
>she eats, and make sure she takes time between bites, I haven't been
>able to eliminate this problem.
>
>I am wondering if anyone else has experienced anything like this, and
>if you have any success dealing with it.
>
>Thanks,
>Steve

We need a little more info Steve. How old is Buffy and when did this
start occurring?

There are quite a few reasons that cats upchuck and this article
summarizes them pretty well:

http://www.suevet.com/petEd/VomitingCats.html

My experience with Nico (the wonder cat) was IBD (as the article says,
very common).

I don't think that it has anything to do with the speed of their
eating. Cats don't seem to chew stuff very well so it often looks just
like it did when it went down. As you noticed, it looks so much like
food that someone else will likely come along and eat it. Good food
shouldn't go to waste I guess.

Rene S.
June 18th 07, 09:32 PM
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My cat buffy frequently throws up the food she has just eaten, within
> 20-30 mins of eating. This leaves a mess, unless my other cat eats it
> up, which she is kind enough to do on most occasions.
>
> What I notice with buffy is that she doesn't really chew her food and
> she wolfs it down. Someone told me also that she might be eating too
> fast so to serve smaller portions, but unless I watch over every bite
> she eats, and make sure she takes time between bites, I haven't been
> able to eliminate this problem.

Have you tried feeding canned food? Does she have hairballs when she
vomits or any other symptoms?

Claude V. Lucas
June 18th 07, 09:37 PM
In article . com>,
Rene S. > wrote:

wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> My cat buffy frequently throws up the food she has just eaten, within
>> 20-30 mins of eating. This leaves a mess, unless my other cat eats it
>> up, which she is kind enough to do on most occasions.
>>
>> What I notice with buffy is that she doesn't really chew her food and
>> she wolfs it down. Someone told me also that she might be eating too
>> fast so to serve smaller portions, but unless I watch over every bite
>> she eats, and make sure she takes time between bites, I haven't been
>> able to eliminate this problem.
>
>Have you tried feeding canned food? Does she have hairballs when she
>vomits or any other symptoms?

Bubba was gobbling his kibble and then throwing it back up.

I switched him to a larger kibble that he couldn't swallow without
chewing it up and he keeps it down, for the most part.

June 18th 07, 11:47 PM
In article . com>,
says...
> Hi,
>
> My cat buffy frequently throws up the food she has just eaten, within
> 20-30 mins of eating. This leaves a mess, unless my other cat eats it
> up, which she is kind enough to do on most occasions.
>
> What I notice with buffy is that she doesn't really chew her food and
> she wolfs it down. Someone told me also that she might be eating too
> fast so to serve smaller portions, but unless I watch over every bite
> she eats, and make sure she takes time between bites, I haven't been
> able to eliminate this problem.
>
> I am wondering if anyone else has experienced anything like this, and
> if you have any success dealing with it.
>
> Thanks,
> Steve

My cat Randy was a food wolfer. He wouldn't even chew it, just swallow
it whole.

I miss that cat though. Only cat I ever knew to shower with his human.

Luna's Mom[_2_]
June 20th 07, 12:00 AM
Claude V. Lucas wrote:
> In article . com>,
> Rene S. > wrote:
>> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> My cat buffy frequently throws up the food she has just eaten, within
>>> 20-30 mins of eating. This leaves a mess, unless my other cat eats it
>>> up, which she is kind enough to do on most occasions.
>>>
>>> What I notice with buffy is that she doesn't really chew her food and
>>> she wolfs it down. Someone told me also that she might be eating too
>>> fast so to serve smaller portions, but unless I watch over every bite
>>> she eats, and make sure she takes time between bites, I haven't been
>>> able to eliminate this problem.
>> Have you tried feeding canned food? Does she have hairballs when she
>> vomits or any other symptoms?
>>

> Bubba was gobbling his kibble and then throwing it back up.
>
> I switched him to a larger kibble that he couldn't swallow without
> chewing it up and he keeps it down, for the most part.

Kibble size makes no difference for Luna and her hork-habit. :)
I call it her hork cycle, since it happens about monthly, a few times
and then goes away. Usually, I find a hairball in there somewhere during
one of the episodes, but not all. The article about feline vomiting
pretty much explained luna in a nutshell.

Claude V. Lucas
June 20th 07, 12:19 AM
In article >,
Luna's Mom > wrote:
>Claude V. Lucas wrote:
>> In article . com>,
>> Rene S. > wrote:

>>> Have you tried feeding canned food? Does she have hairballs when she
>>> vomits or any other symptoms?
>>>

>> Bubba was gobbling his kibble and then throwing it back up.
>>
>> I switched him to a larger kibble that he couldn't swallow without
>> chewing it up and he keeps it down, for the most part.
>
>Kibble size makes no difference for Luna and her hork-habit. :)
>I call it her hork cycle, since it happens about monthly, a few times
>and then goes away. Usually, I find a hairball in there somewhere during
>one of the episodes, but not all. The article about feline vomiting
>pretty much explained luna in a nutshell.

Petromalt seems to help Bubba with his hairballs...

Luna's Mom[_2_]
June 20th 07, 04:28 AM
Claude V. Lucas wrote:
> In article >,
> Luna's Mom > wrote:
>> Claude V. Lucas wrote:

>>> Bubba was gobbling his kibble and then throwing it back up.
>>>
>>> I switched him to a larger kibble that he couldn't swallow without
>>> chewing it up and he keeps it down, for the most part.
>> Kibble size makes no difference for Luna and her hork-habit. :)
>> I call it her hork cycle, since it happens about monthly, a few times
>> and then goes away. Usually, I find a hairball in there somewhere during
>> one of the episodes, but not all. The article about feline vomiting
>> pretty much explained luna in a nutshell.
>>

> Petromalt seems to help Bubba with his hairballs...

in the past ive tried to give that to Luna but she usually had no
interest. maybe it's time to try again. i do use anti-hairball food,
which i do think helps a bit. it's gross though! :)

Claude V. Lucas
June 20th 07, 04:39 AM
In article >,
Luna's Mom > wrote:
>Claude V. Lucas wrote:
>> In article >,
>> Luna's Mom > wrote:

>>> Kibble size makes no difference for Luna and her hork-habit. :)
>>> I call it her hork cycle, since it happens about monthly, a few times
>>> and then goes away. Usually, I find a hairball in there somewhere during
>>> one of the episodes, but not all. The article about feline vomiting
>>> pretty much explained luna in a nutshell.
>>>

>> Petromalt seems to help Bubba with his hairballs...
>
>in the past ive tried to give that to Luna but she usually had no
>interest. maybe it's time to try again. i do use anti-hairball food,
>which i do think helps a bit. it's gross though! :)

Bubba thinks Petromalt is candy.

He'd probably snarf down a whole tube if I gave it to him.

He's not exactly a picky eater, though.

June 21st 07, 01:14 PM
On Jun 18, 12:31 pm, dgk > wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 15:58:54 -0000, wrote:
> >Hi,
>
> >My cat buffy frequently throws up the food she has just eaten, within
> >20-30 mins of eating. This leaves a mess, unless my other cat eats it
> >up, which she is kind enough to do on most occasions.
>
> >What I notice with buffy is that she doesn't really chew her food and
> >she wolfs it down. Someone told me also that she might be eating too
> >fast so to serve smaller portions, but unless I watch over every bite
> >she eats, and make sure she takes time between bites, I haven't been
> >able to eliminate this problem.
>
> >I am wondering if anyone else has experienced anything like this, and
> >if you have any success dealing with it.
>
> >Thanks,
> >Steve
>
> We need a little more info Steve. How old is Buffy and when did this
> start occurring?
>
> There are quite a few reasons that cats upchuck and this article
> summarizes them pretty well:
>
> http://www.suevet.com/petEd/VomitingCats.html
>
> My experience with Nico (the wonder cat) was IBD (as the article says,
> very common).
>
> I don't think that it has anything to do with the speed of their
> eating. Cats don't seem to chew stuff very well so it often looks just
> like it did when it went down. As you noticed, it looks so much like
> food that someone else will likely come along and eat it. Good food
> shouldn't go to waste I guess.- Hide quoted text -

Hi. Sorry I've been away for a while. Thanks for that link. I never
considered it might be a hairball as the article suggests. I'll
definitely look into that.

To answer your question, Buffy is 2.5 years old. One thing I see her
do sometimes is actually eat hair that is stuck to her cat tower. If
hairballs are the issue, I'm sure this isn't helping the situation.

Thanks again for the article.

Cheers,
Steve

June 21st 07, 01:16 PM
On Jun 19, 7:00 pm, Luna's Mom > wrote:
> Claude V. Lucas wrote:
> > In article . com>,
> > Rene S. > wrote:

> >> Have you tried feeding canned food? Does she have hairballs when she
> >> vomits or any other symptoms?
>
> > Bubba was gobbling his kibble and then throwing it back up.
>
> > I switched him to a larger kibble that he couldn't swallow without
> > chewing it up and he keeps it down, for the most part.
>
> Kibble size makes no difference for Luna and her hork-habit. :)
> I call it her hork cycle, since it happens about monthly, a few times
> and then goes away. Usually, I find a hairball in there somewhere during
> one of the episodes, but not all. The article about feline vomiting
> pretty much explained luna in a nutshell.- Hide quoted text -

It sounds like kibble size also didn't completely eliminate the
issue. One thing about Buffy is that she doesn't have any hair in the
food she is throwing up. It probably happens on average about once a
week though.

My other cat is the one with the hairballs, but she doing just fine
with the food, as fat as she is!