PDA

View Full Version : Keeping cats apart

Emma Wallace
June 19th 07, 05:19 AM
There are two cats living in my apartment. Only one of them is mine,
the other belongs to a girl who is subletting for the summer. Her cat
is not very well behaved, and can't be trusted not to pounce on mine,
so we've been keeping them separate all the time. My cat stays in my
room, and her's gets the rest of the apartment unless he misbehaves.

For the last two days he has managed to get into my room and bother my
cat (we think he's been trying (succeeding?) to have sex with her). If
the closed door won't stop him, are there any other tactics for
keeping him out?

I feel awful that I can't keep my cat safe and comfortable. At least
the other cat leaves in a month and a half.
-E

Sherry
June 19th 07, 05:29 AM
On Jun 18, 11:19 pm, Emma Wallace > wrote:
> There are two cats living in my apartment. Only one of them is mine,
> the other belongs to a girl who is subletting for the summer. Her cat
> is not very well behaved, and can't be trusted not to pounce on mine,
> so we've been keeping them separate all the time. My cat stays in my
> room, and her's gets the rest of the apartment unless he misbehaves.
>
> For the last two days he has managed to get into my room and bother my
> cat (we think he's been trying (succeeding?) to have sex with her). If
> the closed door won't stop him, are there any other tactics for
> keeping him out?
>
> I feel awful that I can't keep my cat safe and comfortable. At least
> the other cat leaves in a month and a half.
> -E

Can't you take turns, and allow your cat the run of the apartment, and
lock hers up in
the bedroom? It hardly seems fair that yours must stay in one room all
the time.
These cats *are* neutered, aren't they?

Sherry

Emma Wallace
June 19th 07, 12:15 PM
On Jun 19, 1:29 am, Sherry > wrote:
> On Jun 18, 11:19 pm, Emma Wallace > wrote:
>
> > There are two cats living in my apartment. Only one of them is mine,
> > the other belongs to a girl who is subletting for the summer. Her cat
> > is not very well behaved, and can't be trusted not to pounce on mine,
> > so we've been keeping them separate all the time. My cat stays in my
> > room, and her's gets the rest of the apartment unless he misbehaves.
>
> > For the last two days he has managed to get into my room and bother my
> > cat (we think he's been trying (succeeding?) to have sex with her). If
> > the closed door won't stop him, are there any other tactics for
> > keeping him out?
>
> > I feel awful that I can't keep my cat safe and comfortable. At least
> > the other cat leaves in a month and a half.
> > -E
>
> Can't you take turns, and allow your cat the run of the apartment, and
> lock hers up in
> the bedroom? It hardly seems fair that yours must stay in one room all
> the time.
> These cats *are* neutered, aren't they?
>
> Sherry

I do sometimes take turns, but the cats have very different energy
levels. Mine is quite sleepy, and her's has more energy than it knows
what to do with, so it seems to make sense to give him run of the
apartment most of the time. I don't like to leave my cat with run of
the apartment when I'm not around because I know that he can get out
of his room. He wails when stuck in one room too.

The cats are both neutered, but that doesn't make me feel much better
about the whole situation.
-E

Emma Wallace
June 19th 07, 07:47 PM
Maybe there's some kind of child proofing I can use on the door? He
opens it by laying down and putting his paws under.

cybercat
June 19th 07, 08:13 PM
"Emma Wallace" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Maybe there's some kind of child proofing I can use on the door? He
> opens it by laying down and putting his paws under.

That is really cute. :)

Emma Wallace
June 21st 07, 06:39 PM
On Jun 19, 4:13 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "Emma Wallace" > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...
>
> > Maybe there's some kind of child proofing I can use on the door? He
> > opens it by laying down and putting his paws under.
>
> That is really cute. :)

What part of that is cute?