PDA

View Full Version : Re: My cat stopped Meowing??

BaldoniXXV
June 20th 07, 06:50 PM
It happens that William Graham formulated :
> > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>> My cat, Sebastian, is an indoor/outdoor cat. He regularly plays
>> outside all day and comes in when he wants. But when I got home
>> today, Sebastian came inside with me and just opened his mouth like he
>> would when he would meow, but nothing came out. I've never seen him
>> do this before, usually he's fairly vocal. Its been a few hours now
>> and he still just acts like he wants to meow, but can't. I'm kind of
>> concerned, could he have gotten into something outside, or can cats
>> lose their voice like people do if he overused it while he was
>> outside? If anyone knows of anything, I'd really appreciate it!
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
> I'd take him to the vet and have him checked out....He could have some
> foreign object caught in his throat, and if he does, it could be very painful
> and become infected....cats don't have many ways to communicate their pain to
> human beings....I have had them die without me knowing that there was
> anything wrong with them until it was way too late.......

My mothers cat Chic (9 months)has never meowed, is this strange or
normal with some cats ?

--
Count Baldoni

BALDONI REX ROMANORUM

oldhickory
June 20th 07, 07:39 PM
we have one that does not meow, also. She makes a squeaking, sort of a
peeping noise. Not common but not a worry. Sometimes amusing.

--
ie
ride fast, take chances.

"BaldoniXXV @googlemail.com>" <baldoniXXV<nil> wrote in message
> It happens that William Graham formulated :
>> > wrote in message
>> ups.com...
>>> My cat, Sebastian, is an indoor/outdoor cat. He regularly plays
>>> outside all day and comes in when he wants. But when I got home
>>> today, Sebastian came inside with me and just opened his mouth like he
>>> would when he would meow, but nothing came out. I've never seen him
>>> do this before, usually he's fairly vocal. Its been a few hours now
>>> and he still just acts like he wants to meow, but can't. I'm kind of
>>> concerned, could he have gotten into something outside, or can cats
>>> lose their voice like people do if he overused it while he was
>>> outside? If anyone knows of anything, I'd really appreciate it!
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance.
>>>
>> I'd take him to the vet and have him checked out....He could have some
>> foreign object caught in his throat, and if he does, it could be very
>> painful and become infected....cats don't have many ways to communicate
>> their pain to human beings....I have had them die without me knowing that
>> there was anything wrong with them until it was way too late.......
>
> My mothers cat Chic (9 months)has never meowed, is this strange or normal
> with some cats ?
>
> --
> Count Baldoni
>
> BALDONI REX ROMANORUM

June 20th 07, 08:04 PM
In rec.pets.cats.health+behav oldhickory > wrote:

> we have one that does not meow, also. She makes a squeaking, sort of a
> peeping noise. Not common but not a worry. Sometimes amusing.

If your cat has *never* meowed, then that's normal for her. But for
a cat to stop suddenly for no apparent reason *is* a cause for concern,
IMO. Any sudden change in normal behavior should be checked out. It
might be the only indication you get that something's not right.

Joyce

William Graham
June 20th 07, 08:24 PM
"BaldoniXXV @googlemail.com>" <baldoniXXV<nil> wrote in message
> It happens that William Graham formulated :
>> > wrote in message
>> ups.com...
>>> My cat, Sebastian, is an indoor/outdoor cat. He regularly plays
>>> outside all day and comes in when he wants. But when I got home
>>> today, Sebastian came inside with me and just opened his mouth like he
>>> would when he would meow, but nothing came out. I've never seen him
>>> do this before, usually he's fairly vocal. Its been a few hours now
>>> and he still just acts like he wants to meow, but can't. I'm kind of
>>> concerned, could he have gotten into something outside, or can cats
>>> lose their voice like people do if he overused it while he was
>>> outside? If anyone knows of anything, I'd really appreciate it!
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance.
>>>
>> I'd take him to the vet and have him checked out....He could have some
>> foreign object caught in his throat, and if he does, it could be very
>> painful and become infected....cats don't have many ways to communicate
>> their pain to human beings....I have had them die without me knowing that
>> there was anything wrong with them until it was way too late.......
>
> My mothers cat Chic (9 months)has never meowed, is this strange or normal
> with some cats ?
>
> --
> Count Baldoni
>
> BALDONI REX ROMANORUM

Our feral male squeaks instead of meowing like normal cats do.....His name
is Smokey, but we sometimes call him "squeaker" because of the miniscule
sound he makes....This is probably an advantage to a male feral cat.....Less
chance that some irate redneck will shoot at him....So, I would guess that
it's not too uncommon. But if one of my cats suddenly came down with this
problem, I would take them to the vet muy pronto........

BaldoniXXV
June 20th 07, 09:25 PM
oldhickory explained on 20/06/2007 :
> we have one that does not meow, also. She makes a squeaking, sort of a
> peeping noise. Not common but not a worry. Sometimes amusing.

One of my cats squeaks also but my mothers cat makes no sound at all.

He made a slight noise when going to the vets.

--
Count Baldoni

BALDONI REX ROMANORUM

William Hamblen
June 21st 07, 02:55 AM
On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 18:50:42 +0100, BaldoniXXV
> wrote:

>My mothers cat Chic (9 months)has never meowed, is this strange or
>normal with some cats ?

Some cats hardly make a sound unless they are distressed or warning
off a strange cat.

Bud
--
The night is just the shadow of the Earth.

Little Hawk
June 21st 07, 08:35 AM
William Hamblen wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 18:50:42 +0100, BaldoniXXV
> > wrote:
>
>> My mothers cat Chic (9 months)has never meowed, is this strange or
>> normal with some cats ?
>
> Some cats hardly make a sound unless they are distressed or warning
> off a strange cat.
>
> Bud

be thankful your cat does'nt meow, it can be annoying at times ;)
i guess thats what you get when you spoil a four legged fur ball :)

Professor
June 21st 07, 02:13 PM
"Little Hawk" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> William Hamblen wrote:
>> On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 18:50:42 +0100, BaldoniXXV
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> My mothers cat Chic (9 months)has never meowed, is this strange or
>>> normal with some cats ?
>>
>> Some cats hardly make a sound unless they are distressed or warning
>> off a strange cat.
>>
>> Bud
>
> be thankful your cat does'nt meow, it can be annoying at times ;)
> i guess thats what you get when you spoil a four legged fur ball :)

Tell me about it. Our Oriental Shorthairs are bred from Siamese and they
yell at us every day.