PDA

View Full Version : HAPPY ENDING Kitten Rescue: 5 Firefighters, 2 Trucks, 250 Gallons Of Water

Matthew
June 21st 07, 01:37 AM
2-Pound Animal Saved From Storm Sewer Drain After 90 Minutes

PARKERSBURG, W.Va. -- It took two fire trucks, five firefighters, several
animal rescuers and about 250 gallons of water to rescue a 2-pound kitten.

Animal control officers tried coaxing the gray tabby out of a storm sewer
drain with encouraging words and food Monday before giving up after about an
hour and a half.

Firefighters tried banging tools on one end of the pipe and flashing lights
Monday night in hopes of driving him out the other end -- but that didn't
work either.

It wasn't until firefighters flushed about 250 gallons of water through the
10- to 12-inch pipe -- enough to wet the kitten's paws -- and the feline
rushed into the hands of Firefighter Kevin Siers, who was standing inside a
manhole.

"We had about an hour and a half of fun," Siers said Tuesday. "Everybody was
pretty tickled" when the cat emerged.

After a very frightening day and night, the kitten seemed more relaxed and
was warming up to humans, said Dan Hendrickson with the Humane Society of
Parkersburg.

bookie
June 21st 07, 01:43 AM
On 21 Jun, 01:37, "Matthew" > wrote:
> 2-Pound Animal Saved From Storm Sewer Drain After 90 Minutes
>
> PARKERSBURG, W.Va. -- It took two fire trucks, five firefighters, several
> animal rescuers and about 250 gallons of water to rescue a 2-pound kitten.
>
> Animal control officers tried coaxing the gray tabby out of a storm sewer
> drain with encouraging words and food Monday before giving up after about an
> hour and a half.
>
> Firefighters tried banging tools on one end of the pipe and flashing lights
> Monday night in hopes of driving him out the other end -- but that didn't
> work either.
>
> It wasn't until firefighters flushed about 250 gallons of water through the
> 10- to 12-inch pipe -- enough to wet the kitten's paws -- and the feline
> rushed into the hands of Firefighter Kevin Siers, who was standing inside a
> manhole.
>
> "We had about an hour and a half of fun," Siers said Tuesday. "Everybody was
> pretty tickled" when the cat emerged.
>
> After a very frightening day and night, the kitten seemed more relaxed and
> was warming up to humans, said Dan Hendrickson with the Humane Society of
> Parkersburg.

bless.

Lynne
June 21st 07, 03:25 AM
on Thu, 21 Jun 2007 00:37:08 GMT, "Matthew"
> wrote:

> "We had about an hour and a half of fun," Siers said Tuesday.
> "Everybody was pretty tickled" when the cat emerged.

Awwwwww!!! I love to hear stories like this. I wish all the kittens could
be saved...

--
Lynne

sheelagh
June 22nd 07, 04:24 PM
On 21 Jun, 01:37, "Matthew" > wrote:
> 2-Pound Animal Saved From Storm Sewer Drain After 90 Minutes
>
> PARKERSBURG, W.Va. -- It took two fire trucks, five firefighters, several
> animal rescuers and about 250 gallons of water to rescue a 2-pound kitten.
>
> Animal control officers tried coaxing the gray tabby out of a storm sewer
> drain with encouraging words and food Monday before giving up after about an
> hour and a half.
>
> Firefighters tried banging tools on one end of the pipe and flashing lights
> Monday night in hopes of driving him out the other end -- but that didn't
> work either.
>
> It wasn't until firefighters flushed about 250 gallons of water through the
> 10- to 12-inch pipe -- enough to wet the kitten's paws -- and the feline
> rushed into the hands of Firefighter Kevin Siers, who was standing inside a
> manhole.
>
> "We had about an hour and a half of fun," Siers said Tuesday. "Everybody was
> pretty tickled" when the cat emerged.
>
> After a very frightening day and night, the kitten seemed more relaxed and
> was warming up to humans, said Dan Hendrickson with the Humane Society of
> Parkersburg.

A true cotton sox story with all's bad that ends well
S;o)