PDA

View Full Version : Hairball Treatment?

Eddy Bentley
June 21st 07, 10:14 AM
Thanks to advice received from people on this group, I administered a
hairball treatment to my cats last week and after four days the
"coughing" they had been displaying for a number of days stopped. I
bought the treatment at a local pet shop and it consists simply of
mineral oil flavoured with malt ( and my cats LOVE malt).

Anyway, after this treatment had ended and the coughing was gone, there
I was in kitchen putting some olive-oil-based margerine onto a butter
dish to take through into the dining-room when I became aware that both
cats were at my feet and looking up with a begging look in their eyes.
(My two lads have an incredible sense of smell!)

"Okay! Let's see if you like it!" I said, and I popped a dollop of the
margerine in the palm of each hand and then offered it to the cats.
They immediately tucked in and licked until the teaspoonful was gone and
my palm licked clean.

Question: a dollop of this occasionally would clearly delight the cats
and it would be a darn sight cheaper than an $8.00 little tube of
mineral oil, but would regular use be bad for them and, if not, is it
likely to help clear hairballs from the oesophagus etc? (Usually, for
myself, I use a fairly pricey poly-unsaturated margerine which has been
proven to lower cholesterol. Maybe a little of that would be good for
the cats too!)

Thanks.

Eddy.

oldhickory
June 21st 07, 07:41 PM
found this: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=25521

I do know that mineral oil can deplete some vitamins so I change out using
petromalt and some crunchy hairball treats as well as specially formulated
food.

--
ie
ride fast, take chances.

"Eddy Bentley" > wrote in message
> Thanks to advice received from people on this group, I administered a
> hairball treatment to my cats last week and after four days the
> "coughing" they had been displaying for a number of days stopped. I
> bought the treatment at a local pet shop and it consists simply of
> mineral oil flavoured with malt ( and my cats LOVE malt).
>
> Anyway, after this treatment had ended and the coughing was gone, there
> I was in kitchen putting some olive-oil-based margerine onto a butter
> dish to take through into the dining-room when I became aware that both
> cats were at my feet and looking up with a begging look in their eyes.
> (My two lads have an incredible sense of smell!)
>
> "Okay! Let's see if you like it!" I said, and I popped a dollop of the
> margerine in the palm of each hand and then offered it to the cats.
> They immediately tucked in and licked until the teaspoonful was gone and
> my palm licked clean.
>
> Question: a dollop of this occasionally would clearly delight the cats
> and it would be a darn sight cheaper than an $8.00 little tube of
> mineral oil, but would regular use be bad for them and, if not, is it
> likely to help clear hairballs from the oesophagus etc? (Usually, for
> myself, I use a fairly pricey poly-unsaturated margerine which has been
> proven to lower cholesterol. Maybe a little of that would be good for
> the cats too!)
>
> Thanks.
>
> Eddy.

Rene S.
June 21st 07, 09:47 PM
> Question: a dollop of this occasionally would clearly delight the cats
> and it would be a darn sight cheaper than an $8.00 little tube of
> mineral oil, but would regular use be bad for them and, if not, is it
> likely to help clear hairballs from the oesophagus etc? (Usually, for
> myself, I use a fairly pricey poly-unsaturated margerine which has been
> proven to lower cholesterol. Maybe a little of that would be good for
> the cats too!)

I have heard that you can use plain petroleum jelly (ie Vaseline)
instead of Petromalt. Petroleum jelly is what hairball remedy is, just
with added coloring/flavoring to make it taste good to the cats.
Myself, I couldn't do that to my cats, so I buy the cat version.

I'm not sure margarine would work the same way. Mineral oil/Vaseline
is not digested by the body, so it slips through the disgestive tract.
I would think that butter or margarine is mostly digested and would
not work the same.