PDA

View Full Version : Pounce Treats vomit

Richard Evans
June 22nd 07, 01:03 AM
I have a little tortie named Motley who loves Pounce treats. When we
got her over a year ago she was very shy, wouldn't sit on a lap or
allow anyone to touch her, I softened her up by enticing her onto my
lap with Pounce treats.

She has mellowed considerably but still expects a nightly dose of
treats. Unfortunately, she has recently started vomiting within
minutes of having her treats. She doesn't vomit otherwise.

Any idea why the sudden sensitivity?

I hate to stop giving her the treats, but I hate cleaning up after her
too.

Spot
June 22nd 07, 01:12 AM
Why not change brands of treats obviously something in them is causing her
an upset stomach.

Celeste

"Richard Evans" > wrote in message
>I have a little tortie named Motley who loves Pounce treats. When we
> got her over a year ago she was very shy, wouldn't sit on a lap or
> allow anyone to touch her, I softened her up by enticing her onto my
> lap with Pounce treats.
>
> She has mellowed considerably but still expects a nightly dose of
> treats. Unfortunately, she has recently started vomiting within
> minutes of having her treats. She doesn't vomit otherwise.
>
> Any idea why the sudden sensitivity?
>
> I hate to stop giving her the treats, but I hate cleaning up after her
> too.

Richard Evans
June 22nd 07, 01:15 AM
"Spot" > wrote:

>Why not change brands of treats obviously something in them is causing her
>an upset stomach.

My question was: Since she's been eating them daily for over a year,
why would she suddenly become sensitive now?

MaryL
June 22nd 07, 01:27 AM
"Richard Evans" > wrote in message
> "Spot" > wrote:
>
>>Why not change brands of treats obviously something in them is causing her
>>an upset stomach.
>>

> My question was: Since she's been eating them daily for over a year,
> why would she suddenly become sensitive now?

Have you checked the list of ingredients to see if there have been any
changes (or call the manufacturer to ask that question). If there have not
been any changes, then it's time to check with a vet. It's possible that
she has developed an allergy, but it is also possible that there is a
physical problem that needs to be diagnosed. Incidentally, many of these
"treats" include food coloring that cause some cats to have digestive
problems (but that may not explain why there has been a sudden change).

MaryL

cybercat
June 22nd 07, 01:37 AM

> "Richard Evans" > wrote in message
>> "Spot" > wrote:
>>
>>>Why not change brands of treats obviously something in them is causing
>>>her
>>>an upset stomach.
>>>

>> My question was: Since she's been eating them daily for over a year,
>> why would she suddenly become sensitive now?
>>

> Have you checked the list of ingredients to see if there have been any
> changes (or call the manufacturer to ask that question). If there have
> not been any changes, then it's time to check with a vet. It's possible
> that she has developed an allergy, but it is also possible that there is a
> physical problem that needs to be diagnosed. Incidentally, many of these
> "treats" include food coloring that cause some cats to have digestive
> problems (but that may not explain why there has been a sudden change).

She might just like them so much she eats them fast.

MaryL
June 22nd 07, 01:41 AM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote in message

>>> My question was: Since she's been eating them daily for over a year,
>>> why would she suddenly become sensitive now?
>>>

>> Have you checked the list of ingredients to see if there have been any
>> changes (or call the manufacturer to ask that question). If there have
>> not been any changes, then it's time to check with a vet. It's possible
>> that she has developed an allergy, but it is also possible that there is
>> a physical problem that needs to be diagnosed. Incidentally, many of
>> these "treats" include food coloring that cause some cats to have
>> digestive problems (but that may not explain why there has been a sudden
>> change).
>>

> She might just like them so much she eats them fast.

Yes, that's another possibility. I would be concerned, though, about why
this *suddenly* happened after eating them for a year.

MaryL

Richard Evans
June 22nd 07, 04:07 AM
"cybercat" > wrote:

>She might just like them so much she eats them fast.

She only gets three nuggets at most. I cut her back to two, feeding
them one at a time, so I doubt that's it.

oldhickory
June 22nd 07, 08:35 AM
some pounce was recalled: http://www.delmonte.com/petfoodrecall.html

--
ie
ride fast, take chances.

"Richard Evans" > wrote in message
>I have a little tortie named Motley who loves Pounce treats. When we
> got her over a year ago she was very shy, wouldn't sit on a lap or
> allow anyone to touch her, I softened her up by enticing her onto my
> lap with Pounce treats.
>
> She has mellowed considerably but still expects a nightly dose of
> treats. Unfortunately, she has recently started vomiting within
> minutes of having her treats. She doesn't vomit otherwise.
>
> Any idea why the sudden sensitivity?
>
> I hate to stop giving her the treats, but I hate cleaning up after her
> too.

cybercat
June 22nd 07, 08:46 AM
"oldhickory" > wrote in message
> some pounce was recalled: http://www.delmonte.com/petfoodrecall.html

I forgot about that! In fact, we had some of the "meaty morsel" kind at home
when they
were recalled.

Richard Evans
June 22nd 07, 04:44 PM
"oldhickory" > wrote:

>some pounce was recalled: http://www.delmonte.com/petfoodrecall.html

Thanks for that pointer. I hadn't even thought of that because several
other cats eat the same treats with no problems. Anyway, these treats
aren't in the recall.

Lynne
June 23rd 07, 12:19 AM
on Fri, 22 Jun 2007 15:44:02 GMT, Richard Evans >
wrote:

> Thanks for that pointer. I hadn't even thought of that because several
> other cats eat the same treats with no problems. Anyway, these treats
> aren't in the recall.

one thing that came to light during the worst of the pet food recall is
that pet food mfgs are not obligated by law to update their labels to
reflect changes in the ingredients for something like 6 months. So as
someone else suggested, I would contact Purina and ask them if they have
changed their ingredients, especially if they have added anything new to
the particular Pounce treats you are feeding. I suspect they will be very
open with you since none of the large companies want to alienate their
customers after everything that has happened.

Whether or not there has been a change, I suggest you stop feeding them to
your cat and find something he likes just as much. Try Zeke's (or is it
Zuke's?) treats. They make some very wholesome, dye free, gluten free, and
(according to my crew) very tasty treats. If your kitty keeps puking with
the change, there is something else going on that needs to be evaluated by
a vet ASAP.

--
Lynne

mlbriggs
June 23rd 07, 01:23 AM
On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 23:07:22 -0400, Richard Evans wrote:

> "cybercat" > wrote:
>

>>She might just like them so much she eats them fast.
>
> She only gets three nuggets at most. I cut her back to two, feeding them
> one at a time, so I doubt that's it.

I changed our cat treats to Greenies. She loves them. Cannot answer
your question as to why but wonder if they were on the "recall" list?
MLB

MaryL
June 23rd 07, 03:40 AM
"mlbriggs" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 23:07:22 -0400, Richard Evans wrote:
>
>> "cybercat" > wrote:
>>

>>>She might just like them so much she eats them fast.
>>
>> She only gets three nuggets at most. I cut her back to two, feeding them
>> one at a time, so I doubt that's it.
>

> I changed our cat treats to Greenies. She loves them. Cannot answer
> your question as to why but wonder if they were on the "recall" list?
> MLB

There were reports some time ago (before the recent recalls) of major health
problems in dogs that were associated with Greenies. There were reports of
intestinal blockages and blockages of the esophagus. Here are a couple of
articles:
http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=1631267
http://www.usrecallnews.com/2006/02/pet-product-recall-update-are-greenies.html

I never saw any reports on Greenies for cats, but I was leery of them after
I saw reports on the canine Greenies.

MaryL

Photos of Duffy and Holly: >'o'<
Duffy: http://tinyurl.com/cslwf
Holly: http://tinyurl.com/9t68o

mlbriggs
June 23rd 07, 07:58 PM
On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 21:40:34 -0500, MaryL wrote:

> "mlbriggs" > wrote in message

>>> She only gets three nuggets at most. I cut her back to two, feeding
>>> them one at a time, so I doubt that's it.
>>

>> I changed our cat treats to Greenies. She loves them. Cannot answer
>> your question as to why but wonder if they were on the "recall" list?
>> MLB
>
> There were reports some time ago (before the recent recalls) of major
> health problems in dogs that were associated with Greenies. There were
> reports of intestinal blockages and blockages of the esophagus. Here are
> a couple of articles:
> http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=1631267
> http://www.usrecallnews.com/2006/02/pet-product-recall-update-are-greenies.html
>
> I never saw any reports on Greenies for cats, but I was leery of them
> after I saw reports on the canine Greenies.
>
> MaryL
>
> Photos of Duffy and Holly: >'o'< Duffy: http://tinyurl.com/cslwf
> Holly: http://tinyurl.com/9t68o
> Duffy and Holly together: http://tinyurl.com/8b47e

Now that is scary. I'll do further research. I have given her only six
a day as a treat TuTu ears Iams low cal and hairball regularly. If I
have chicken or tuna, she will get a small portion as a treat. I know I
shouldn't give her treats as she is much too fat. Thanks for the reply.
MLB

MaryL
June 23rd 07, 08:23 PM
"mlbriggs" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 21:40:34 -0500, MaryL wrote:

>>> I changed our cat treats to Greenies. She loves them. Cannot answer
>>> your question as to why but wonder if they were on the "recall" list?
>>> MLB
>>
>> There were reports some time ago (before the recent recalls) of major
>> health problems in dogs that were associated with Greenies. There were
>> reports of intestinal blockages and blockages of the esophagus. Here are
>> a couple of articles:
>> http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=1631267
>> http://www.usrecallnews.com/2006/02/pet-product-recall-update-are-greenies.html
>>
>> I never saw any reports on Greenies for cats, but I was leery of them
>> after I saw reports on the canine Greenies.
>>
>> MaryL
>>
>> Photos of Duffy and Holly: >'o'< Duffy: http://tinyurl.com/cslwf
>> Holly: http://tinyurl.com/9t68o
>> Duffy and Holly together: http://tinyurl.com/8b47e
>

> Now that is scary. I'll do further research. I have given her only six
> a day as a treat TuTu ears Iams low cal and hairball regularly. If I
> have chicken or tuna, she will get a small portion as a treat. I know I
> shouldn't give her treats as she is much too fat. Thanks for the reply.
> MLB

Have you tried Liv-a-Littles (by Halo). They are very light weight and can
easily be broken into small pieces. Holly and Duffy *love* them (especially
Duffy -- he almost inhales them, like a little vacuum cleaner on four legs).
I primarily use the chicken variety, but there are several -- cod, salmon,
etc. These are freeze-dried treats without any additives. They don't look
appetizing to me. In fact, the chicken looks a lot like pieces of
styrofoam, but my cats sure know the difference. The container needs to be
refrigerated after it is opened. I usually get the best price at a place
called ValuSport (unless you can buy it locally):
http://www.valusport.com/halo.html

MaryL