PDA

View Full Version : New anti-cruelty laws in Texas

MaryL
June 22nd 07, 01:24 AM
Here's a copy of an email that was sent last month concerning some new
anti-cruelty laws in Texas. I am also attaching a link to the list compiled
by THLN (Texas Humane Legislative Network). It looks like we made some
progress!

May 07, Legislative Session

Posted by: "Stacy Smith" dogsave

Thu May 24, 2007 6:44 pm (PST)

This has been a roller coaster of a year in the legislature, but
unbelievably, we got almost everything we wanted this year and then some.
Forwarded from THLN. If your group hasn't sent them any money yet, please do
so because I'm sure they are practically broke after paying their lobbyist.
FMHS budgets $500 for THLN each year and we don't have a huge budget...but
as you can see below, the work they do benefits us in ways that are beyond
measure. This year, they sponsored or supported bills to protect stray and
owned animals from abuse, provide for stronger penalties for dog fighters,
pay for low-cost spay/neuter programs, and restrict the time and conditions
under which dogs may be chained. They also actively opposed the very bad
seizure bill that would have put a heavy burden on facilities holding seized
animals and legalize horse slaughter. And more. You can see the full list of
bills they were following at their web site, www.thln.org (and you can also
make a donation while you are there).

Thanks to everyone who made phone calls and wrote letters on behalf of the
animals this year.

Stacy Smith
Vice President, Animal Welfare
Flower Mound Humane Society
www.fmhs.org

Ok, its time to break out the champagne and dance naked in the streets. This
has been by far the best legislative session the animals of Texas have ever
had.
Animal Cruelty: The House concurred with the Senate version of the animal
cruelty bill and it is now on its way to the governors desk. On September
1st, for the first time in Texas history, it will be a crime to:
1) commit cruelty to stray and feral dogs and cats;
2) recklessly commit cruelty to an animal (prosecutors will no longer have
to prove that a person intended to commit cruelty);
3) kill or cause serious bodily injury to animals in a cruel manner"which is
defined as a manner that causes or permits unnecessary or unjustifiable pain
or suffering (it will no longer be necessary to prove torture);
4) fail to provide water to an animal in a persons custody;
A prosecutor must still prove torture in cases involving cruelty to
livestock animals (horses, cattle, sheep, pigs, goats, etc.). But"here is
the really, really cool part"torture is defined as any act that causes
unnecessary or unjustifiable pain or suffering. This is the identical
protection that was given to non-livestock animals! So, for the most part,
the livestock vs. non-livestock protections are a distinction without a
difference. This is a huge victory for horses. And, yes, horse tripping is
still a crime.
Anti-Tethering: This bill is on its way to the governors desk.
Dog Fighting: This bill is on its way to the governors desk.
Horse Slaughter for Human Consumption: is not completely dead because there
is still a theoretical possibility that the rules could be suspended and it
could be tacked on to some bill in a conference committee. But it is
definitely on life support and the plug is sort of half-way hanging out of
the electrical outlet.
Animal Friendly License Plate Funding: This has been fully funded. The
entire $2 million will be released to low and no-cost spay and neuter
programs.
These are just some of the bills. THLN will be posting a summary of the
legislative session on our website in the near future.
If anyone ever questioned whether their one little phone call or fax to a
legislator really mattered, this session provided a clear and resounding
answer. These past few months have shown that we can move mountains for
animals and defeat some of the most powerful special interests in the
country when we unite. A huge thank you from THLN to everyone who sent a
letter or made a phone call to a legislator. You made Texas a much, much
better place for animals.

http://www.insolidaritywithanimals.com/actions/sessionend.php

--
MaryL

bookie
June 22nd 07, 01:29 PM
On 22 Jun, 01:24, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER>
wrote:
> [...]
> definitely on life support and the plug is sort of half-way hanging out of
> the electrical outlet.
> Animal Friendly License Plate Funding: This has been fully funded. The
> entire $2 million will be released to low and no-cost spay and neuter
> programs.
> These are just some of the bills. THLN will be posting a summary of the
> legislative session on our website in the near future.
> If anyone ever questioned whether their one little phone call or fax to a
> legislator really mattered, this session provided a clear and resounding
> answer. These past few months have shown that we can move mountains for
> animals and defeat some of the most powerful special interests in the
> country when we unite. A huge thank you from THLN to everyone who sent a
> letter or made a phone call to a legislator. You made Texas a much, much

some nice news for a change, along with the news on the Beeb the other
night that a massive dog-fighting ring had been broken and lots of
nasty vicious types had been arrested, hopefully on a crimilnal charge
so the RSPCA don't have to cough up their depleted funds for a civil
case (ie the crown will pay for it).

sadly though i read in the times the other day(yesterday? day before?)
that a man in cumbria was nto giong to be charged with animal crulety
after drowning 7 puppies in his bath because it coudl not be proved
that the puppies suffered any more suffering being killed thast way
than if they had been put down by a vet! FOR GODS SAKE!!!! he killed
7, count 'em, 7 innocent baby creatures, could he not have taken them
to a rescue centre up there? i am sure it would not have been hard to
find homes for them all, utterly sickening, what kind of sick person
drowns puppies? he must have no soul, murdering *******

very sad
bookie