PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice

CatNipped
June 24th 07, 02:44 PM
Tayla (new momma kitten) has a URI. It's not too bad, mostly just some
sneezing. They gave me some medicine to take home with her (liquid and she
was surprisingly easy to dose this morning), and of course she'll see the
vet in the next couple of days.

My question is this - how contagious is this? I wash my hands after going
into the room to pet and play with her. She's in my office for now which is
a room separated from the rest of the house by the garage) and the cat flap
in that door is closed, of course. But there's a pretty large gap under
that doorway. Is it likely that the URI could be transferred by sniffing
and playing pawsy under the door? Should I put a towel down there to keep
her even more separate from the existing Crews' clowder?

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

CatNipped
June 24th 07, 02:57 PM
I forgot to add that my existing clowder have access to the garage through
another cat flap in the doorway from the house leading to the garage - it's
where I keep their litter boxes. So they can be directly on the opposite
side of the door from Tayla.

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

"CatNipped" > wrote in message
> Tayla (new momma kitten) has a URI. It's not too bad, mostly just some
> sneezing. They gave me some medicine to take home with her (liquid and
> she was surprisingly easy to dose this morning), and of course she'll see
> the vet in the next couple of days.
>
> My question is this - how contagious is this? I wash my hands after going
> into the room to pet and play with her. She's in my office for now which
> is a room separated from the rest of the house by the garage) and the cat
> flap in that door is closed, of course. But there's a pretty large gap
> under that doorway. Is it likely that the URI could be transferred by
> sniffing and playing pawsy under the door? Should I put a towel down
> there to keep her even more separate from the existing Crews' clowder?
>
> --
>
> Hugs,
>
> CatNipped
>
> See all my masters at: http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped/

Sherry
June 24th 07, 02:57 PM
On Jun 24, 8:44 am, "CatNipped" > wrote:
> Tayla (new momma kitten) has a URI. It's not too bad, mostly just some
> sneezing. They gave me some medicine to take home with her (liquid and she
> was surprisingly easy to dose this morning), and of course she'll see the
> vet in the next couple of days.
>
> My question is this - how contagious is this? I wash my hands after going
> into the room to pet and play with her. She's in my office for now which is
> a room separated from the rest of the house by the garage) and the cat flap
> in that door is closed, of course. But there's a pretty large gap under
> that doorway. Is it likely that the URI could be transferred by sniffing
> and playing pawsy under the door? Should I put a towel down there to keep
> her even more separate from the existing Crews' clowder?
>
> --
>
> Hugs,
>
> CatNipped

Hi Lori--I'm not an expert by any means (you know that!), but URI just
spreads like
wildfire at the shelter. It is airborne. I do think sniffing could
spread it. OTOH, your
existing cats most surely have a healthier immune system than shelter
cats do.
But yeah, I'd close the gap at least for a few days.
What's Sammy's reaction? Is she just curious, or hostile with the new
ones?

Sherry

CatNipped
June 24th 07, 04:18 PM
"Sherry" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> On Jun 24, 8:44 am, "CatNipped" > wrote:
>> Tayla (new momma kitten) has a URI. It's not too bad, mostly just some
>> sneezing. They gave me some medicine to take home with her (liquid and
>> she
>> was surprisingly easy to dose this morning), and of course she'll see the
>> vet in the next couple of days.
>>
>> My question is this - how contagious is this? I wash my hands after
>> going
>> into the room to pet and play with her. She's in my office for now which
>> is
>> a room separated from the rest of the house by the garage) and the cat
>> flap
>> in that door is closed, of course. But there's a pretty large gap under
>> that doorway. Is it likely that the URI could be transferred by sniffing
>> and playing pawsy under the door? Should I put a towel down there to
>> keep
>> her even more separate from the existing Crews' clowder?
>>
>> --
>>
>> Hugs,
>>
>> CatNipped
>
> Hi Lori--I'm not an expert by any means (you know that!), but URI just
> spreads like
> wildfire at the shelter. It is airborne. I do think sniffing could
> spread it. OTOH, your
> existing cats most surely have a healthier immune system than shelter
> cats do.
> But yeah, I'd close the gap at least for a few days.
> What's Sammy's reaction? Is she just curious, or hostile with the new
> ones?
>
> Sherry

Sammy is just acting a little nervous. Jessie is running around hissing at
Demi and Sammy, but nobody is going nuts or anything. Still, I think I'll
go pick up a feliway defuser just the same.

Hugs,

CatNipped