PDA

View Full Version : Kittens have it too

CatNipped
June 24th 07, 04:25 PM
URI, that is.

Um, think I should take them back to the shelter and get an exchange for the
defective ones? <ducking and running> [Whatever happened to old Phillip,
anyway?]

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

June 24th 07, 04:33 PM
In article >,
says...
> URI, that is.
>
> Um, think I should take them back to the shelter and get an exchange for the
> defective ones? <ducking and running> [Whatever happened to old Phillip,
> anyway?]

URI's spread through shelters like mad. I remember when I adopted Angie
there were hand sterilization units plastered to the walls and you had
to use them when going from the infected ward to the normal ward.

Fortunately Angie didn't have a URI.

Matthew
June 24th 07, 04:39 PM
"T" > wrote in message
. ..
> In article >,
> says...
>> URI, that is.
>>
>> Um, think I should take them back to the shelter and get an exchange for
>> the
>> defective ones? <ducking and running> [Whatever happened to old
>> Phillip,
>> anyway?]
>>

> URI's spread through shelters like mad. I remember when I adopted Angie
> there were hand sterilization units plastered to the walls and you had
> to use them when going from the infected ward to the normal ward.
>
> Fortunately Angie didn't have a URI.

The shelter is was with used to a quarantine section with it owns air
system to keep it from spreading the kittens stayed in there 30 days before
they were introduced to general population

cybercat
June 24th 07, 06:17 PM
"CatNipped" > wrote : [Whatever happened to old
Phillip,
> anyway?]

Hee! I think the events of the group freaked him out a little. (ahem)

I also noticed that Steve G., who actually lives in my area, completely
disappeared at about the same time.

CatNipped
June 24th 07, 06:23 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "CatNipped" > wrote : [Whatever happened to old
> Phillip,
>> anyway?]
>>

> Hee! I think the events of the group freaked him out a little. (ahem)
>
> I also noticed that Steve G., who actually lives in my area, completely
> disappeared at about the same time.

Hmmmmm... inquiring minds, and all that! ;>

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

Cheryl
June 24th 07, 11:29 PM
On Sun 24 Jun 2007 11:25:32a, CatNipped wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
>:

> URI, that is.
>
> Um, think I should take them back to the shelter and get an
> exchange for the defective ones? <ducking and running>
> [Whatever happened to old Phillip, anyway?]

Congrats on the new owners! I was just catching up, reading and
viewing pics and a video. Funny, I was going to post to you to
watch the one kitten's eyes as I could see signs of URI in the
video. It is very contageous to those who haven't been vaccinated,
and to those who have, they could get sniffles or gunky eyes, so it
isn't as critical. But keep mamacat away from the kittens, and
definitely wash your hands when going between all of your cats. The
kittens being together might end up passing it back and forth
between them before it completely runs its course, so keep an eye
on that, too. Vaccum the room often and clean all surfaces and
wash bedding and anything that can be laundered often. And L-
lysine in their wet food will help so much. 250 MG a day at their
size will probably do it. And get them to the vet as soon as you
can to start the vaccinations. ARe the little boys already
neutered?

Again, congrats! They're all so adorable, and Tayla is gorgeous.
Purrs for a happy interaction when they finally all get to get
together with Jessie, Sammy and Demi.

--
Cheryl

CatNipped
June 25th 07, 12:13 AM
"Cheryl" > wrote in message
> On Sun 24 Jun 2007 11:25:32a, CatNipped wrote in
> rec.pets.cats.health+behav
> >:
>
>> URI, that is.
>>
>> Um, think I should take them back to the shelter and get an
>> exchange for the defective ones? <ducking and running>
>> [Whatever happened to old Phillip, anyway?]
>>

> Congrats on the new owners! I was just catching up, reading and
> viewing pics and a video. Funny, I was going to post to you to
> watch the one kitten's eyes as I could see signs of URI in the
> video. It is very contageous to those who haven't been vaccinated,
> and to those who have, they could get sniffles or gunky eyes, so it
> isn't as critical. But keep mamacat away from the kittens, and
> definitely wash your hands when going between all of your cats. The

They are separate - mama cat is in my office downstairs off the garage and
the boys are in the upstairs guest bedroom. I bought some "Purell Hand
Sanitizer" to keep by the doors of their rooms so we can use it as we leave
(I don't trust DH to not be lazy and not skip washing his hands! ;>)

> kittens being together might end up passing it back and forth
> between them before it completely runs its course, so keep an eye
> on that, too. Vaccum the room often and clean all surfaces and

Oh my, I think this might have to be DH's punishment for talking me into
getting three instead of one!!! ;>

> wash bedding and anything that can be laundered often. And L-
> lysine in their wet food will help so much. 250 MG a day at their

Already started the L-Lysine (I asked Phil about this in another post - I'm
giving them half a 500mg table twice a day in their canned food).

> size will probably do it. And get them to the vet as soon as you
> can to start the vaccinations. ARe the little boys already
> neutered?

Yep - the rescue won't let a cat go without being neutered first - they
don't trust the voucher system and they've seen too many kittens destroyed!

> Again, congrats! They're all so adorable, and Tayla is gorgeous.
> Purrs for a happy interaction when they finally all get to get
> together with Jessie, Sammy and Demi.

Thanks! I figure it will be a good while before they merge - the newcomers
will, for sure, have to be cured of all diseases and parasites before I'll
risk my current 3 getting them.

--

Hugs,

CatNipped