PDA

View Full Version : Ping Phil - Need Help with Rescues [Long]

CatNipped
June 25th 07, 12:00 AM
OK, where do I start?! First, does anyone have Phil's email address so I
can also email this to him - I know he gets busy during kitten season and
doesn't always read the group?

Phil, I just adopted 3 cats from a rescue organization that operates out of
PetsMart - Sunsmart. Archer and Ozzy are two orange-stripey boy kittens
about 10 weeks old (one of the Sunsmart rescuers got them from the local
pound 1 day before they were to be euthanized). They said Tayla is appx. 1
to 3 years old, but I'm guessing she's closer to 1 or younger and she just
had *SEVEN* kittens (her history was that "the neighbors" abandoned her when
she got pregnant). I already have 3 cats at home, Demi, 8, Jessie, 7, and
Sammy, 3.

Both kittens have URIs (not mentioned in their records at the pet rescue, so
they weren't being treated for it). Tayla has a URI that the rescue knew
about and were treating her with Clindamycin Hydrochloride Oral Liquid
Antibiotic, 1cc per day (and they sent me home with the rest of her bottle).
All three have diarrhea which could either be change of diet, stress, or
parasites. [I think they were feeding Tayla only SD Adult Formula dry
there, and I'm giving her Fancy Feast canned pate flavors, which she *MUCH*
prefers.] All three also have ear mites.

I went back to PetsMart today to pick up some canned kitten food since the
boys weren't eating the SD Kitten Formula dry food that the rescue sent home
with me (I thought due to their stuffed up noses) . While I was there, I
talked to the owner of the rescue (Sunsmart) and told her about the kittens
having URIs. She gave me some Clavamox (or Amoxicillin - can't remember
which, but the suspension has to be refrigerated) capsules to make a
suspension with and then give to the kittens, 1/4cc twice a day, along with
some nose drops (anyone ever try to give a kitten nose drops??!!!). She
also told me that the kittens were used to Nutra Max Kitten canned food so I
picked up some cans of that (and man do they appreciate that ;>). She also
advised me to get some L-Lysine tablets to grind up into their food (Tayla
gets 1 500mg tablet twice a day, and I cut and grind 1 500mg tablet to share
between the two boys twice a day). She said that this would help with the
URI virus they have.

Tayla never had a problem with appetite - in fact I think she may have a
problem with too good an appetite! She's eating an entire can of Fancy
Feast twice a day!!! [My existing clowder ate only 4 cans of Fancy Feast a
day between the 4 of them, ummm 1 can each or 1/2 can twice a day - DUH! -
I'm tired!!!]. I'm letting her have it for now since she just finished
nursing her kittens (her teats are still a bit swollen), and she's still
practically a kitten herself. She also gets SD Adult Formula to browse on
(as does Sammy... Jessie and Demi get SD Senior Advanced Formula for
browsing). But the sudden over-abundance of food may be contributing to her
diarrhea (as a former stray she's probably and opportunistic eater).

The kittens are now getting 1/4 can of Nutra Max Kitten canned food twice a
day and they're vacuuming this up (Ozzy keeps eyeing Archer's dish the whole
time they're eating, and then eats what Archer leaves behind). They're also
getting SD Kitten Formula dry to browse on.

I'm going to take all three to the vet either tomorrow or Tuesday - I'm
going to call to schedule an appointment first thing tomorrow morning. None
of them appear to be in distress, I think this is just probably common
rescue/shelter problems that they have (the shelters and especially the
no-kill rescues are overflowing and the volunteers and workers are
overwhelmed at this time of year), so I feel safe waiting a day or two to
see the vet. They're eating very well, getting plenty of fluids in their
canned food, they're drinking fresh water, and I've done the "skin pinch"
test so I know that none of them are dehydrated. I also felt the inside of
their ears and they don't feel like they're running a significant fever.

But in the meantime, Phil, is there anything else I should be doing? How
worried should I be that my existing clowder may get the URIs? I bought 2
bottles of "Purell Hand Sanitizer" - one for each segregation room - so DH
and I can clean our hands whenever we leave one of the rooms after a visit.
Should I be giving my existing clowder the L-Lysine supplement as a
preventative?

When I take them all to the vets, should I have them wait on their FLV/FIV
boosters until the URIs and diarrhea have cleared up? I'm not getting a
rabies shot for them since they'll be inside only like the rest of my
clowder.

Anyway, whew - HELP PLEASE!!

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

MaryL
June 25th 07, 01:04 AM
"CatNipped" > wrote in message

<snip>
> When I take them all to the vets, should I have them wait on their FLV/FIV
> boosters until the URIs and diarrhea have cleared up? I'm not getting a
> rabies shot for them since they'll be inside only like the rest of my
> clowder.
>
> Anyway, whew - HELP PLEASE!!
>
> --
>
> Hugs,
>
> CatNipped

Hi Lori,

I would like to comment on your last question. I'm sure there are a number
of other people on this group who will help you with your other questions.

(1) You have already said that these kitties have URI, so their immune
systems are already compromised. Never vaccinate a sick cat. Period.

(2) Are you sure you listed these vaccines correctly because (a) These
kittens don't need the leukemia vaccine since they are going to be indoor
cats; and (b) If this was indeed an FIV vaccine they were given, they will
test positive for FIV for the rest of their lives even though they probably
*do not* have FIV. That vaccine is not something I would ever use, and I
know that a lot of vets will absolutely not recommend it partly because it
causes false positives when tested.

Congratulations on the new furbabies! They look delightful.

--
MaryL

Cheryl
June 25th 07, 01:18 AM
On Sun 24 Jun 2007 08:04:55p, MaryL wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
>:

> (1) You have already said that these kitties have URI, so their
> immune systems are already compromised. Never vaccinate a sick
> cat. Period.

Good point, Mary. I know I wrote about getting them vaccinated and I
always forget to reitterate not to do it when they're sick. The
FVRCPP (or similar letters, as I've seen it vary) are really all they
need at this age when they're well enough. Rabies at no earlier than
12 weeks, IIRC, and only if it's a risk or mandated by law.

I am thinking about going back to the 1 year rabies since I keep
reading scary things about the 3 year shot. It's the law here to have
rabies shots at least every 3 years depending on the shot given.

--
Cheryl

Lynne
June 25th 07, 01:35 AM
on Mon, 25 Jun 2007 00:18:19 GMT, Cheryl >
wrote:

> I am thinking about going back to the 1 year rabies since I keep
> reading scary things about the 3 year shot. It's the law here to have
> rabies shots at least every 3 years depending on the shot given.

Do some homework here. I've been told (by a vet) that it is the same
vaccine, with different labeling and a higher price on the 3 year. Profit
margain must be factored in afterall...

I never verified this, but I'd get the facts before you start giving a
rabies vaccine annually. I only do that for the first booster, 1 year
after their first shot at ~16 weeks, then it's every 3 years. Some states
require them annually and this vet told me that's why the same vaccine is
labeled differently. But again, verify, because this particular vet is not
exactly confidence inspiring.

--
Lynne

Matthew
June 25th 07, 01:50 AM
Cat here is his email
"CatNipped" > wrote in message
> [...]
> canned food, they're drinking fresh water, and I've done the "skin pinch"
> test so I know that none of them are dehydrated. I also felt the inside
> of their ears and they don't feel like they're running a significant
> fever.
>
> But in the meantime, Phil, is there anything else I should be doing? How
> worried should I be that my existing clowder may get the URIs? I bought 2
> bottles of "Purell Hand Sanitizer" - one for each segregation room - so DH
> and I can clean our hands whenever we leave one of the rooms after a
> visit. Should I be giving my existing clowder the L-Lysine supplement as a
> preventative?
>
> When I take them all to the vets, should I have them wait on their FLV/FIV
> boosters until the URIs and diarrhea have cleared up? I'm not getting a
> rabies shot for them since they'll be inside only like the rest of my

CatNipped
June 25th 07, 01:51 AM

> "CatNipped" > wrote in message
>>
> <snip>
>> When I take them all to the vets, should I have them wait on their
>> FLV/FIV boosters until the URIs and diarrhea have cleared up? I'm not
>> getting a rabies shot for them since they'll be inside only like the rest
>> of my clowder.
>>
>> Anyway, whew - HELP PLEASE!!
>>
>> --
>>
>> Hugs,
>>
>> CatNipped
>>

> Hi Lori,
>
> I would like to comment on your last question. I'm sure there are a
> number of other people on this group who will help you with your other
> questions.
>
> (1) You have already said that these kitties have URI, so their immune
> systems are already compromised. Never vaccinate a sick cat. Period.
>
> (2) Are you sure you listed these vaccines correctly because (a) These
> kittens don't need the leukemia vaccine since they are going to be indoor
> cats; and (b) If this was indeed an FIV vaccine they were given, they will
> test positive for FIV for the rest of their lives even though they
> probably *do not* have FIV. That vaccine is not something I would ever
> use, and I know that a lot of vets will absolutely not recommend it partly
> because it causes false positives when tested.
>
> Congratulations on the new furbabies! They look delightful.
>
> --
> MaryL

No, I don't know which vaccine they are due next, I was guessing (their
papers are upstairs and I was too tired to go get them) - whatever the
normal vaccine given to 10 week old kittens is what they are due.

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

CatNipped
June 25th 07, 01:56 AM
Thanks, Matthew - I just send him an email!

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

"Matthew" > wrote in message
> [...]
>> fluids in their canned food, they're drinking fresh water, and I've done
>> the "skin pinch" test so I know that none of them are dehydrated. I also
>> felt the inside of their ears and they don't feel like they're running a
>> significant fever.
>>
>> But in the meantime, Phil, is there anything else I should be doing? How
>> worried should I be that my existing clowder may get the URIs? I bought
>> 2 bottles of "Purell Hand Sanitizer" - one for each segregation room - so
>> DH and I can clean our hands whenever we leave one of the rooms after a
>> visit. Should I be giving my existing clowder the L-Lysine supplement as
>> a preventative?
>>
>> When I take them all to the vets, should I have them wait on their
>> FLV/FIV boosters until the URIs and diarrhea have cleared up? I'm not
>> getting a rabies shot for them since they'll be inside only like the rest

June 25th 07, 02:55 AM
On Sun 24 Jun 2007 08:35:42p, Lynne wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
. 97.142>:

> Do some homework here. I've been told (by a vet) that it is the
> same vaccine, with different labeling and a higher price on the
> 3 year. Profit margain must be factored in afterall...
>
> I never verified this, but I'd get the facts before you start
> giving a rabies vaccine annually. I only do that for the first
> booster, 1 year after their first shot at ~16 weeks, then it's
> every 3 years. Some states require them annually and this vet
> told me that's why the same vaccine is labeled differently. But
> again, verify, because this particular vet is not exactly
> confidence inspiring.

It may be the same vaccine, but what I've read is the adjuvant for
longevity.

--
Cheryl

Sherry
June 25th 07, 03:27 AM
On Jun 24, 7:18 pm, Cheryl > wrote:
> On Sun 24 Jun 2007 08:04:55p, MaryL wrote in
> rec.pets.cats.health+behav
> >:
>
> > (1) You have already said that these kitties have URI, so their
> > immune systems are already compromised. Never vaccinate a sick
> > cat. Period.
>
> Good point, Mary. I know I wrote about getting them vaccinated and I
> always forget to reitterate not to do it when they're sick. The
> FVRCPP (or similar letters, as I've seen it vary) are really all they
> need at this age when they're well enough. Rabies at no earlier than
> 12 weeks, IIRC, and only if it's a risk or mandated by law.
>
> I am thinking about going back to the 1 year rabies since I keep
> reading scary things about the 3 year shot. It's the law here to have
> rabies shots at least every 3 years depending on the shot given.
>
> --
> Cheryl

Isn't the PureVax non-adjuvanted and supposed to be the safest one?
The rabies vax is the one that has such a higher likelihood
of causing vaccine-associated sarcomas.
At any rate, one thing I've learned through (bad) experience, is NEVER
give them all those shots at once. I space them out over 3 weeks.

Sherry

Phil P.
June 30th 07, 10:37 PM
"CatNipped" > wrote in message
> [...]
> test so I know that none of them are dehydrated. I also felt the inside
of
> their ears and they don't feel like they're running a significant fever.
>
> But in the meantime, Phil, is there anything else I should be doing? How
> worried should I be that my existing clowder may get the URIs? I bought 2
> bottles of "Purell Hand Sanitizer" - one for each segregation room - so DH
> and I can clean our hands whenever we leave one of the rooms after a
visit.
> Should I be giving my existing clowder the L-Lysine supplement as a
> preventative?
>
> When I take them all to the vets, should I have them wait on their FLV/FIV
> boosters until the URIs and diarrhea have cleared up? I'm not getting a
> rabies shot for them since they'll be inside only like the rest of my

Sounds like you have everything covered- just forget about the FeLV & FIV
vaccines-- especially the FIV vaccine. Its not very effective against
strains found in the US. --and since FIV tests test for FIV antibodies it
will make the cats test positive on the in-house ELISA Snap and lab-run
Western Blot. This can be fatal if the cats ever get out and are tested by a
shelter. The only test that can distinguish a FIV-vaccinated cat from an
FIV-infected cat is the new FIV DNA test at UC-Davis. This test detects the
viral genome directly instead of antibodies.

Best of luck with your new additions!

Phil