PDA

View Full Version : Vet Results

CatNipped
June 26th 07, 01:58 AM
This is going to be a quick update since I just got home from work, then the
vet's, and just finished dosing/scooping/feeding - it's 8PM and I haven't
eaten since lunch (oh the joys of new slave-hood).

Just as I thought, Tayla, Ozzy, and Archer all have URIs. Tayla's fecal was
clear, but both boys have Coccidia - nobody had ear mites thank goodness! I
have to give Tayla and the boys Clavamox twice a day and the boys get Albon
once a day for the Coccidia. And I need to keep giving the boys their nose
drops. Only Ozzy had a very slight fever, so the vet thought it was OK to
give them their FVRCP boosters.

Other than that they are all very healthy, nicely hydrated despite the
diarrhea (which the vet agrees may be caused by stress or new diet.

And the dear, sweet, kind, generous Dr. French (who came to the house to
help Bandit to the Bridge) gave me a *HUGE* discount on his services so even
our checkbooks are not doing too poorly! ;>

Gotta go get something to eat now.

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

Sherry
June 26th 07, 02:55 AM
On Jun 25, 7:58 pm, "CatNipped" > wrote:
> This is going to be a quick update since I just got home from work, then the
> vet's, and just finished dosing/scooping/feeding - it's 8PM and I haven't
> eaten since lunch (oh the joys of new slave-hood).
>
> Just as I thought, Tayla, Ozzy, and Archer all have URIs. Tayla's fecal was
> clear, but both boys have Coccidia - nobody had ear mites thank goodness! I
> have to give Tayla and the boys Clavamox twice a day and the boys get Albon
> once a day for the Coccidia. And I need to keep giving the boys their nose
> drops. Only Ozzy had a very slight fever, so the vet thought it was OK to
> give them their FVRCP boosters.
>
> Other than that they are all very healthy, nicely hydrated despite the
> diarrhea (which the vet agrees may be caused by stress or new diet.
>
> And the dear, sweet, kind, generous Dr. French (who came to the house to
> help Bandit to the Bridge) gave me a *HUGE* discount on his services so even
> our checkbooks are not doing too poorly! ;>
>
> Gotta go get something to eat now.
>
> --
>
> Hugs,
>
> CatNipped
>
> See all my masters at: http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped/

You might want to google coccidosis if you haven't already. It's very
common, and IMO pretty
serious. That is the cause of the diarrhea. I had an orphan litter
with it years back. One thing
I do remember is that Albon doesn't kill the coccidia organism; it
just keeps it from reproducing.
So it is not a quick cure. Also, coccidia is very resistant to most
disinfectants. IIRC the proper way to
disinfect soiled bedding was boiling hot water. It's also very
contagious, but not so much in older
cats unless they're immune compromised.
Kittsn don't have immunity against it until they are older. That's why
it's so common in kittens.

Sherry

CatNipped[_2_]
June 26th 07, 01:32 PM
"Sherry" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Jun 25, 7:58 pm, "CatNipped" > wrote:
>> This is going to be a quick update since I just got home from work, then
>> the
>> vet's, and just finished dosing/scooping/feeding - it's 8PM and I haven't
>> eaten since lunch (oh the joys of new slave-hood).
>>
>> Just as I thought, Tayla, Ozzy, and Archer all have URIs. Tayla's fecal
>> was
>> clear, but both boys have Coccidia - nobody had ear mites thank goodness!
>> have to give Tayla and the boys Clavamox twice a day and the boys get
>> Albon
>> once a day for the Coccidia. And I need to keep giving the boys their
>> nose
>> drops. Only Ozzy had a very slight fever, so the vet thought it was OK
>> give them their FVRCP boosters.
>>
>> Other than that they are all very healthy, nicely hydrated despite the
>> diarrhea (which the vet agrees may be caused by stress or new diet.
>>
>> And the dear, sweet, kind, generous Dr. French (who came to the house to
>> help Bandit to the Bridge) gave me a *HUGE* discount on his services so
>> even
>> our checkbooks are not doing too poorly! ;>
>>
>> Gotta go get something to eat now.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Hugs,
>>
>> CatNipped
>>
>> See all my masters at: http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped/
>
> You might want to google coccidosis if you haven't already. It's very
> common, and IMO pretty
> serious. That is the cause of the diarrhea. I had an orphan litter
> with it years back. One thing
> I do remember is that Albon doesn't kill the coccidia organism; it
> just keeps it from reproducing.
> So it is not a quick cure. Also, coccidia is very resistant to most
> disinfectants. IIRC the proper way to
> disinfect soiled bedding was boiling hot water. It's also very
> contagious, but not so much in older
> cats unless they're immune compromised.
> Kittsn don't have immunity against it until they are older. That's why
> it's so common in kittens.
>
> Sherry

From what I read about it, it is very common in crowded shelters and usually
only infects the young. There is *nothing* that will cure it, as you
stated, but Albon will keep it from reproducing until the kittens' immune
system kicks in and defeats the organisms. It is contagious, but mostly
just to young animals whose immune systems have not completely matured or to
sick animals whose immune system has been compromised. From this article:
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_coccidia.html ...

"Other pets may become infected from exposure to infected fecal matter but
it is important to note that this is usually an infection of the young (i.e.
the immature immune system tends to let the coccidia infection reach large
numbers where the mature immune system probably will not.) In most cases,
the infected new puppy or kitten does not infect the resident adult animal."

This article says that a medication like Albon should be used for at 5 days,
but sometimes up to a month, until the diarrhea has stopped and their immune
systems have matured. Dr. French has told me to use it for 10 days and he
is going to call me in 3 days to see how they're doing, and, of course, I
can bring them in at any time if they should get worse.

I'm usually a worrier, but at this time I really can't afford to worry over
things I can't change - I have too much stress in my life already.

All the new kitties have been checked out and other than this and a mild
URI, they are healthy. And my existing clowder are very, very healthy (and
haven't had *ANY* contact with the new kitties), so I'm just going to follow
Dr. French's advise, dose them as instructed and believe that all will be
well in time.

I know there are people on this group who have *WAY* more knowledge of
veterinary medicine than I do (and probably more than some vets). But since
*I* don't, I'm trying not to scare myself and telling myself that they'll be
just fine no matter how scary their medical problems sound to me.

I *know* that they will get better food, more careful medical treatment, and
much, *MUCH more TLC than they would have at the rescue, so no matter what
happens they're better off than they would have been had we not adopted
them.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Sherry
June 26th 07, 02:20 PM
On Jun 26, 7:32 am, "CatNipped" > wrote:
> [...]
>
> All the new kitties have been checked out and other than this and a mild
> URI, they are healthy. And my existing clowder are very, very healthy (and
> haven't had *ANY* contact with the new kitties), so I'm just going to follow
> Dr. French's advise, dose them as instructed and believe that all will be
> well in time.
>
> I know there are people on this group who have *WAY* more knowledge of
> veterinary medicine than I do (and probably more than some vets). But since
> *I* don't, I'm trying not to scare myself and telling myself that they'll be
> just fine no matter how scary their medical problems sound to me.
>
> I *know* that they will get better food, more careful medical treatment, and
> much, *MUCH more TLC than they would have at the rescue, so no matter what
> happens they're better off than they would have been had we not adopted

Oh, my intention was not to scare you! It was a knee-jerk reaction for
me, because just word "coccidia"
brings back that awful struggle with that litter years ago. I'd never
heard of it back then. They were much
tinier than yours, and had a much more severe case. They had bloody
diarrhea. They did all survive. The
danger comes from dehydration in the tiny ones. As long as yours have
a healthy appetite and are active,
there's no reason to worry yourself sick over them. I'm sure they'll
be fine.

Sherry

CatNipped[_2_]
June 26th 07, 02:41 PM
"Sherry" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> [...]
>> and
>> much, *MUCH more TLC than they would have at the rescue, so no matter
>> what
>> happens they're better off than they would have been had we not adopted
>> them.
>>
>> Hugs,
>>
>> CatNipped- Hide quoted text -
>
> Oh, my intention was not to scare you! It was a knee-jerk reaction for
> me, because just word "coccidia"
> brings back that awful struggle with that litter years ago. I'd never
> heard of it back then. They were much
> tinier than yours, and had a much more severe case. They had bloody
> diarrhea. They did all survive. The
> danger comes from dehydration in the tiny ones. As long as yours have
> a healthy appetite and are active,
> there's no reason to worry yourself sick over them. I'm sure they'll

Oh, I didn't think you were trying to scare me - but I'm a worrier, so I was
trying not to scare *myself*! ;> I guess I'm just an incurable control
freak - I can never just "let it go" and let things work themselves out.
And worry is such a useless emotion - it never solves anything, never cures
what's worrying you, but the heart feels what the mind won't I guess!

Hugs,

CatNipped

cybercat
June 26th 07, 03:47 PM
"CatNipped" > wrote
> I know there are people on this group who have *WAY* more knowledge of
> veterinary medicine than I do (and probably more than some vets). But
> since *I* don't, I'm trying not to scare myself and telling myself that
> they'll be just fine no matter how scary their medical problems sound to
> me.
>
> I *know* that they will get better food, more careful medical treatment,
> and much, *MUCH more TLC than they would have at the rescue, so no matter
> what happens they're better off than they would have been had we not
> adopted them.

CN, don't fret, they will be fine. They're very lucky to have been chosen
by you, particularly since they have a few little health problems.

What utter joy, I have never had a kitten, let alone two!

June 26th 07, 03:52 PM
"CatNipped" > wrote

> Oh, I didn't think you were trying to scare me - but I'm a worrier, so I
> was trying not to scare *myself*! ;> I guess I'm just an incurable
> control freak - I can never just "let it go" and let things work
> themselves out.

Nonsense, Catnipped. What you are is one of those people who fixes
things, you take control in order to make things better, when others
often just shrug and say "whatever happens." So when it seems
things might be worse than you thought you want to take action,
and when it looks like nothing you do will help it drives you
crazy. Just because you want to fix everything.

> And worry is such a useless emotion - it never solves anything, never
> cures what's worrying you, but the heart feels what the mind won't I
> guess!

It's a good heart that worries about something besides itself.

I wish more people did.

More kitty pitchers! I want to see mama, too.

CatNipped[_2_]
June 26th 07, 04:37 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in message
.. .

> "CatNipped" > wrote
>> I know there are people on this group who have *WAY* more knowledge of
>> veterinary medicine than I do (and probably more than some vets). But
>> since *I* don't, I'm trying not to scare myself and telling myself that
>> they'll be just fine no matter how scary their medical problems sound to
>> me.
>>
>> I *know* that they will get better food, more careful medical treatment,
>> and much, *MUCH more TLC than they would have at the rescue, so no matter
>> what happens they're better off than they would have been had we not
>> adopted them.
>>

> CN, don't fret, they will be fine. They're very lucky to have been chosen
> by you, particularly since they have a few little health problems.
>
> What utter joy, I have never had a kitten, let alone two!

Having two is *AWESOME*! They will have you rolling on the floor laughing
at their antics one minute and the next will melt your heart when one lays
his little head on his brother's back or licks his brother's ear! I am *SO*
glad they found us! ;>

P.S. I notified the rescue about the coccidia and they were grateful for
the "heads up" so they could treat their other kittens - and blown away,
gushingly appreciative, by the fact that we didn't want to "return or
exchange" the kittens!!! ARGH, what that implies makes me hate the human
race [while we were there adopting our three we saw one kitty who was
returned because she was playing with the adopter's mini-blinds]!!! :<

P.P.S. And I can't say enough about Dr. French who just personally called
to check up on the kittens (and who gave us a $75 discount on the three
cats' vet bill).

Hugs,

CatNipped

June 26th 07, 05:03 PM
"CatNipped" > wrote
> Having two is *AWESOME*! They will have you rolling on the floor laughing
> at their antics one minute and the next will melt your heart when one lays
> his little head on his brother's back or licks his brother's ear! I am
> *SO* glad they found us! ;>
>
> P.S. I notified the rescue about the coccidia and they were grateful for
> the "heads up" so they could treat their other kittens - and blown away,
> gushingly appreciative, by the fact that we didn't want to "return or
> exchange" the kittens!!!

Yes, when Gracie had an asthma attack the day after I brought her home,
I called the shelter and the woman said, "yes, one of the volunteers saw
Gracie do this once, but we are not sure what it is. Bring her back and you
can choose another cat."

!! And it had been love at first sight for me, and Gracie too! When I told
her "NO, it's not like she's a used car or something!" she offered to pay
for the vet check but I didn't let her. I don't have a lot of money but I
had that, and they had so many cats to care for. Thank God it was just
asthma and not heartworms.

> P.P.S. And I can't say enough about Dr. French who just personally called
> to check up on the kittens (and who gave us a $75 discount on the three
> cats' vet bill).

Dr. French is a real winner, CN, and you deserve nothing less. I was
delighted
when my new vet called several days after Gracie's last visit to see how she
is doing--and she only went in for an allergy shot and loose stool. My old
vet
never did that.

mlbriggs
June 26th 07, 07:45 PM
On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 10:52:23 -0400, cybercat wrote:

> "CatNipped" > wrote
>>
>> Oh, I didn't think you were trying to scare me - but I'm a worrier, so I
>> was trying not to scare *myself*! ;> I guess I'm just an incurable
>> control freak - I can never just "let it go" and let things work
>> themselves out.
>
> Nonsense, Catnipped. What you are is one of those people who fixes things,
> you take control in order to make things better, when others often just
> shrug and say "whatever happens." So when it seems things might be worse
> than you thought you want to take action, and when it looks like nothing
> you do will help it drives you crazy. Just because you want to fix
> everything.
>
>> And worry is such a useless emotion - it never solves anything, never
>> cures what's worrying you, but the heart feels what the mind won't I
>> guess!
>
> It's a good heart that worries about something besides itself.
>
> I wish more people did.
>
> More kitty pitchers! I want to see mama, too.

Good words of wisdom! Best wishes. MLB

bobblespin[_2_]
June 26th 07, 08:31 PM
"CatNipped" > wrote in
:

snip

> P.S. I notified the rescue about the coccidia and they were grateful
> for the "heads up" so they could treat their other kittens - and blown
> away, gushingly appreciative, by the fact that we didn't want to
> "return or exchange" the kittens!!! ARGH, what that implies makes me
> hate the human race [while we were there adopting our three we saw one
> kitty who was returned because she was playing with the adopter's
> mini-blinds]!!! :<

Imagine what they would have done the first time kitty hacked up a hairball
on their precious carpets! That cat is better off elsewhere.

Glad your kitties' problems are treatable and you're having fun with them.

Bobble

--
Have you hugged your cat today?

Sonny's web page --> http://web.ncf.ca/ai151/index2.html

CatNipped[_2_]
June 27th 07, 02:29 PM
"Cheryl" > wrote in message
> On Tue 26 Jun 2007 11:37:59a, CatNipped wrote in
> rec.pets.cats.health+behav
> >:
>
>> P.P.S. And I can't say enough about Dr. French who just
>> personally called to check up on the kittens (and who gave us a
>> $75 discount on the three cats' vet bill).
>>

> Dr French rawks!

Yep, he really, really does (I'll never forget thehug he gave me as he was
leaving my house after helping Bandit to the Bridge!).

Hugs,

CatNipped

> --
> Cheryl

-L.
June 30th 07, 07:54 AM
Sherry wrote:

> You might want to google coccidosis if you haven't already. It's very
> common, and IMO pretty
> serious. That is the cause of the diarrhea. I had an orphan litter
> with it years back. One thing
> I do remember is that Albon doesn't kill the coccidia organism; it
> just keeps it from reproducing.
> So it is not a quick cure. Also, coccidia is very resistant to most
> disinfectants. IIRC the proper way to
> disinfect soiled bedding was boiling hot water. It's also very
> contagious, but not so much in older
> cats unless they're immune compromised.
> Kittsn don't have immunity against it until they are older. That's why
> it's so common in kittens.
>
> Sherry

I was going to write most of this but Sherry saved me the trouble.
Bleach will kill coccidia, though - soak stuff for 10 minutes in 10%
bleach. Most cats need at least 2 rounds of Albon.

-L..