PDA

View Full Version : Sneezing

w[_2_]
June 30th 07, 07:19 AM
Stray mother had kittens on my porch back in mid March. I brought them
inside 10 days later and they have been inside ever since. (I am
working with a local rescue group that puts them in Petsmart stores for
adoption.) Mother and three male kittens were recently (2 wks ago)
fixed. I had the mother tested 2 weeks ago; negative. (Cat rescue
group will test kittens.)

I also have three indooor cats of my own; they are vaccinated and are
negative for FeLV and FIV.

All of the sudden last week one of my neutered males started sneezing.
Now the other neutered male is sneezing. My spayed female is fine.

Two of the kittens have also started sneezing.

All are healthy in the sense that, except for the sneezing, they are
fine in every way. No eye discharges; they eat and play fine.

I know some of you would say go to the vet but this doesn't seem serious.

I am trying to help the stray and her kittens but I can't afford to take
two of my cats and two kittens to the vet.

Of course if it will not resolve on its own, I will go to the vet.

Help.

cybercat
June 30th 07, 07:21 AM
"w" > wrote in message

> Help.

?? What is it you want? Some sort of OTC cat cold medicine? Nobody here
can know why the cats are sneezing. I guess it will resolve on its own or
you
will have to take them to the vet after it has worsened.

w[_2_]
June 30th 07, 04:08 PM
cybercat wrote:
> "w" > wrote in message
>
>> Help.
>
> ?? What is it you want? Some sort of OTC cat cold medicine? Nobody here
> can know why the cats are sneezing. I guess it will resolve on its own or
> you
> will have to take them to the vet after it has worsened.

Yes, and when a human starts sneezing it will either get better or they
will get pneumonia and maybe die. But that doesn't mean you should run
to the doctor for each sniffle. Why should cats be any different?

cybercat
June 30th 07, 04:26 PM
"w" > wrote in message
> cybercat wrote:
>> "w" > wrote in message
>>
>>> Help.
>>
>> ?? What is it you want? Some sort of OTC cat cold medicine? Nobody here
>> can know why the cats are sneezing. I guess it will resolve on its own or
>> you
>> will have to take them to the vet after it has worsened.
>
> Yes, and when a human starts sneezing it will either get better or they
> will get pneumonia and maybe die. But that doesn't mean you should run to
> the doctor for each sniffle. Why should cats be any different?

Right. Again, what do you want HELP with? You have it all figured out.

w[_2_]
June 30th 07, 05:14 PM
cybercat wrote:
> "w" > wrote in message
>> cybercat wrote:

>>> ?? What is it you want? Some sort of OTC cat cold medicine? Nobody here
>>> can know why the cats are sneezing. I guess it will resolve on its own or
>>> you
>>> will have to take them to the vet after it has worsened.
>> Yes, and when a human starts sneezing it will either get better or they
>> will get pneumonia and maybe die. But that doesn't mean you should run to
>> the doctor for each sniffle. Why should cats be any different?
>
> Right. Again, what do you want HELP with? You have it all figured out.

And if I go to the vet they will probably prescribe an antibiotic and
say give it to them for 10 days. And after 10 days they will be better.
Of course they might have been better without anything.

We are always exhorted not to expect antibiotics for minor respiratory
infections as they are most likely viral (antibiotics are useless for
that) and overuse of antibiotics leads to bacterial resistance.

Yet, vets give out antibiotics like candy for stuff that most likely
doesn't require it.

This is not really their fault. If a person takes their cat to the vet
for sneezing and pays for an office visit and is just told, "It will get
better in a few weeks." and not prescribed something they will feel
cheated. So the vet prescribes something. Human doctors used to do
exactly the same thing just to shut the patient up.

If someone here can tell me that mild sneezing with no other signs of
illness (remember I said they are eating, and playing normally) always
requires a vist to the vet. If so, why?

Thanks to anyone in advance who can answer this question.

I have spent thousands on sick cats before, but they were sick. I would
rather save my resources for the illnesses that really require a visit.
I am not convinced that sneezing with no other signs of illness does.

cybercat
June 30th 07, 05:21 PM
"w" > wrote in message
> cybercat wrote:

>>> Yes, and when a human starts sneezing it will either get better or they
>>> will get pneumonia and maybe die. But that doesn't mean you should run
>>> to the doctor for each sniffle. Why should cats be any different?
>>
>> Right. Again, what do you want HELP with? You have it all figured out.
> And if I go to the vet they will probably prescribe an antibiotic and say
> give it to them for 10 days. And after 10 days they will be better. Of
> course they might have been better without anything.
>
> We are always exhorted not to expect antibiotics for minor respiratory
> infections as they are most likely viral (antibiotics are useless for
> that) and overuse of antibiotics leads to bacterial resistance.
>
> Yet, vets give out antibiotics like candy for stuff that most likely
> doesn't require it.
>
> This is not really their fault. If a person takes their cat to the vet
> for sneezing and pays for an office visit and is just told, "It will get
> better in a few weeks." and not prescribed something they will feel
> cheated. So the vet prescribes something. Human doctors used to do
> exactly the same thing just to shut the patient up.
>
> If someone here can tell me that mild sneezing with no other signs of
> illness (remember I said they are eating, and playing normally) always
> requires a vist to the vet. If so, why?
>
> Thanks to anyone in advance who can answer this question.
>
> I have spent thousands on sick cats before, but they were sick. I would
> rather save my resources for the illnesses that really require a visit. I
> am not convinced that sneezing with no other signs of illness does.

Nobody said you had to take the cat to the vet. I did not even SAY that you
should.

Again, slowly, so that you can understand: you asked for HELP, what kind of
help
do you need?

w[_2_]
June 30th 07, 05:48 PM
cybercat wrote:

> Nobody said you had to take the cat to the vet. I did not even SAY that you
> should.
>
> Again, slowly, so that you can understand: you asked for HELP, what kind of
> help
> do you need?

In your opinion, what symptoms would require a vet visit?

cybercat
June 30th 07, 05:50 PM
"w" > wrote in message
> cybercat wrote:
>

>> Nobody said you had to take the cat to the vet. I did not even SAY that
>> you should.
>>
>> Again, slowly, so that you can understand: you asked for HELP, what kind
>> of help
>> do you need?
> In your opinion, what symptoms would require a vet visit?

Did you or did you not ask for HELP? All I want to know is, since you have
decided not to take your cats to the vet, what the hell kind of help are you
looking for here? Somebody to make you feel better about being a cheap
******* who is willing to allow these kittens to develop serious UTIs rather
than get them medical help?

You asked for help. What kind of help do you want?

Matthew
June 30th 07, 06:12 PM
"w" >

Posted in rec.pets.cats.rescue

From: w >
Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.rescue
Subject: Sneezing
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 21:53:46 -0700
"Stray mother had kittens on my porch back in mid March. I brought them
inside 10 days later and they have been inside ever since. (I am
working with a local rescue group that puts them in Petsmart stores for
adoption.) Mother and three male kittens were recently (2 wks ago)
fixed. I had the mother tested 2 weeks ago; negative. (Cat rescue
group will test kittens.)

I also have three indooor cats of my own; they are vaccinated and are
negative for FeLV and FIV.

All of the sudden last week one of my neutered males started sneezing.
Now the other neutered male is sneezing. My spayed female is fine.

Two of the kittens have also started sneezing.

All are healthy in the sense that, except for the sneezing, they are
fine in every way. No eye discharges; they eat and play fine.

If I posted this in the "health" group, they would scream "VET."

I am trying to help the stray and her kittens but I can't afford to take
two of my cats and two kittens to the vet.

Help."

THERE IS A REASON WE WOULD "SCREAM" VET IT SOUNDS LIKE A URI; UPPER
RESPIRATORY INFECTION

Next time you want to have a smart comment ( which it sounded and looks like
to me ) be ready for some one to call you out.

There is a reason people tell you to take the cats to the vet no of us in
any of the group are vets, a few are vet techs but there are no vets.
Just like doctors they won't give out a diagnoses due to they can't see the
animal.

Once again you need to talk to the vet if money is any option talk to them
about a payment plan. If you choose

Here is some information on it but next time watch the comments many of us
roam all the cat groups

SYMPTOMS INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO:

SNEEZING
NASAL DISCHARGE
RUNNY EYES
COUGH
ORAL OR NASAL ULCERS
SNIFFLES
FEVER
HOARSE VOICE
OR ANY COMBINATION THEROF
WHAT CATS ARE AT RISK?

Despite the highly contagious nature of all the feline upper respiratory
agents, it is important to realize that most cats are at very small risk for
exposure. In other words, in order to get this kind of infection, a cat must
be in the same home as an infected cat or share the same human caretaker,
toys or food bowls. Typically infected cats come from the shelter, are
outdoor cats, or are housed in close contact with lots of other cats
(experiencing crowding stress). Persian cats are predisposed to upper
respiratory infection due to their inherent facial flattening. The average
housecat who is not exposed to any rescued kittens, lives with only one or
two other cats at most, and never goes outside is unlikely break with
infection. Kittens are predisposed due to their immature immune systems.
Viruses are spread by the wet sneezes on infected or carrier individuals.
The Herpesvirus is very fragile, surviving only 18 hours outside its host;
calici is tougher, lasting up to 10 days. Bleach will readily inactivate
either virus but calici is able to withstand unbleached laundry detergents.

COURSE OF INFECTION
To some extent, the combinations of symptoms and course of infection is
determined by which of numerous infectious agents is responsible. Ninety
percent of feline upper respiratory infections are caused by either feline
Herpes or feline Calicivirus. Neither of these infections is transmissible
to humans or to other animals.
Most feline colds run a course of 7 to10 days regardless of treatment but it
is important to realize that these infections are permanent and that
Herpesvirus infections are recurring (a property of all types of Herpes
infections). In kittens Herpes infections are notorious for dragging out.
Stresses such as surgery (usually neutering/spaying or declawing), boarding,
or introduction of a new feline companion commonly induce a fresh Herpes
upper respiratory episode. These episodes may recur for the life of the cat
though as the cat matures, symptoms become less and less severe and
ultimately may not be noticeable to the owner.
A cat with Herpes is contagious to other cats for a couple of weeks after a
stressful event. Cats infected with Calici are contagious for several months
after infection but do not appear to have recurrences the same way cats with
Herpes do.

WHEN TO BE CONCERNED
A cold for a cat is usually just a nuisance as a cold usually is for one of
us. Sometimes though an upper respiratory infection can be serious. If a cat
is sick enough to stop eating or drinking, hospitalization may be needed to
support him or her through the brunt of the infection. A cat (usually a
kitten) can actually get dehydrated from the fluid lost in nasal discharge.
Painful ulcers can form on the eyes, nose or in the mouth. Sometimes fever
is high enough to warrant monitoring. In young kittens, pneumonia may result
from what started as an upper respiratory infection.
If you think your cat or kitten is significantly uncomfortable with a cold
you should seek veterinary assistance with an office visit.

HOW IS THIS USUALLY TREATED?
Since 90% of cases are viral in origin and we have no antibiotics against
viruses, it seems odd that most feline upper respiratory infections are
treated with anti-bacterial medications. The reason for this is that it is
common for these viral infections to become complicated by secondary
bacterial invaders. The antibiotics act on these. Further, the next most
common infectious agent (after Herpes and Calici) is Chlamydia psittaci
(recently renamed Chlamydophila felis), an organism sensitive to the
tetracycline family (such as doxycycline). For this reason, when antibiotics
are selected, tetracyclines and their relatives are frequently chosen.
(Since tetracycline use can permanently stain the teeth of immature animals,
these medications are generally not chosen for younger pets.). Oral
medications, and/or eye ointments are commonly prescribed. For congestion,
some human nose drop products can be used for relief. Consult your
veterinarian before attempting any sort of home treatment. Other therapies
frequently employed include low doses of interferon-alpha (to generally
stimulate the immune system) and oral lysine supplementation (which
interferes with Herpesvirus reproduction).
For younger kittens that are infected, often the most significant factor in
their throwing off infection, is maturation and gaining a more effective
immune system with growth.
Occasionally infections can lead to more chronic symptoms,
such as gingivitis (gum inflammation), conjunctivitis, or nasal congestion.

WHAT ARE THE VACCINATION OPTIONS?
In selecting a vaccine against upper respiratory infections, there are some
choices one can make. First, one must choose between a nasal vaccine and an
injectable vaccine.
The injectable vaccines which typically include feline distemper, were
developed first and when vaccines for upper respiratory infections were
created, they were simply added to the basic distemper injectable vaccine.
Since that time science has developed a more localized form of vaccination
to better address more localized types of infections.
If one selects the injectable route of vaccination, one must then decide if
one wants a "four in one" or a "three in one" vaccine. You may vaccinate
your cat for distemper, Herpesvirus, and Calicivirus or you may vaccinate
for distemper, Herpesvirus, Calicivirus, and Chlamydia psittici. Remember
that Herpes and Calicivirus together account for 90% of upper respiratory
infections and Chlamydia accounts for less than 10% of upper respiratory
infections.
There is some feeling that these vaccines may provide a more complete
stimulation to the area of the immune system responsible for defense against
the infection in question. Herpes and calicivirus vaccines can be given
either nasally or injectably

Matthew
June 30th 07, 06:14 PM
http://www.animalsheltering.org/resource_library/magazine_articles/jan_feb_1997/uri_factsheet.pdf

w[_2_]
June 30th 07, 06:35 PM
Matthew wrote:
> http://www.animalsheltering.org/resource_library/magazine_articles/jan_feb_1997/uri_factsheet.pdf

Thank you,

That was very informative and told me what I need to know.