PDA

View Full Version : Choice of vomit location

Rick Onanian
June 30th 07, 05:24 PM
My young shorthair cat vomits a couple times a month. She always does so
on a blanket. It's not one blanket, it's any blanket she finds.

Is there a way I can train her to vomit on the tile floor where it will
be easy to clean?

Matthew
June 30th 07, 05:30 PM
"Rick Onanian" > wrote in message
> My young shorthair cat vomits a couple times a month. She always does so
> on a blanket. It's not one blanket, it's any blanket she finds.
>
> Is there a way I can train her to vomit on the tile floor where it will be
> easy to clean?

No

cybercat
June 30th 07, 05:47 PM
"Matthew" > wrote in message

> "Rick Onanian" > wrote in message
>> My young shorthair cat vomits a couple times a month. She always does so
>> on a blanket. It's not one blanket, it's any blanket she finds.
>>
>> Is there a way I can train her to vomit on the tile floor where it will
>> be easy to clean?
>
> No

hahaha!

jmagerl[_2_]
June 30th 07, 07:14 PM
The obvious answer is to put your blanket on the floor :>)

MR. Bonkers likes to throw up on the wall to wall carpeting. Be thankful
yours likes something that can be thrown in the wash. Otherwise you might
try putting an assortment of rugs with different textures around the floor
to see if she "prefers" one to the other. My guess is that throwing up is a
totally random event and she throws up on whatever is around her at the
time, IF you can get her to sit on a throw rug more often than anything
else, than she will throw up on a throw rug more often than anything else.

You might look into why she throws up. IS it any particular time of day?
after a meal? MR.Bonkers throws up after the first meal of the day. We
bought an automatic dispenser that dispenses a tablespoon or so of food at
5AM. That way he doesn't chow down at 6AM at his regular feeding (and I get
an extra hour of sleep). We also switched the first meal of the day to wet
food and the remainder of the day he gets Science diet for sensitive
stomaches. (Sciense Diet for indoor cats also works). All combined have
virtually eliminated his throwing up (He only does it now when he sneaks
outside and eats some grass)

"Rick Onanian" > wrote in message
> My young shorthair cat vomits a couple times a month. She always does so
> on a blanket. It's not one blanket, it's any blanket she finds.
>
> Is there a way I can train her to vomit on the tile floor where it will be
> easy to clean?

cybercat
June 30th 07, 07:35 PM
"Rick Onanian" > wrote in message
> My young shorthair cat vomits a couple times a month. She always does so
> on a blanket. It's not one blanket, it's any blanket she finds.
>
> Is there a way I can train her to vomit on the tile floor where it will be
> easy to clean?

Do many people ask you if you have hairy palms?

Barry
July 1st 07, 02:07 AM
On Jun 30, 12:24 pm, Rick Onanian > wrote:
> My young shorthair cat vomits a couple times a month. She always does so
> on a blanket. It's not one blanket, it's any blanket she finds.
>
> Is there a way I can train her to vomit on the tile floor where it will
> be easy to clean?

yes, hurled cat food can stank real bad

at least you can wash a blanket

How old is your cat?

Rick Onanian
July 1st 07, 03:45 AM
Barry wrote:
> How old is your cat?

I don't know. I think less than a year. I adopted her somewhat
accidentally with her history unknown. All I know is that she's spayed,
declawed (that's the way I received her), playful, and well behaved. She
seems very young.

Rick Onanian
July 1st 07, 03:45 AM
jmagerl wrote:
> The obvious answer is to put your blanket on the floor :>)

I hadn't thought of that, actually, and it might possibly work. When she
was living with me in my camper, she would hurl on a blanket on the bed;
at my house she has no access to a bed but spewed on a blanket on a couch.

> to see if she "prefers" one to the other. My guess is that throwing up is a
> totally random event and she throws up on whatever is around her at the
> time, IF you can get her to sit on a throw rug more often than anything
> else, than she will throw up on a throw rug more often than anything else.

"Throw rug" or "throw up rug"? :)

Once, I tried moving her from the bed to the linoleum floor and she kept
jumping back up on to the bed. The cat I grew up with behaved similarly;
she chose a place to vomit and if you moved her or put a piece of paper
under her to catch it she'd move to where she wants to blow chunks.

> You might look into why she throws up. IS it any particular time of day?

I haven't detected a pattern. I've had her for maybe about two months
and I think she's ralphed four times. I figure it's just a normal part
of catdom.

Barry
July 1st 07, 04:15 AM
On Jun 30, 10:45 pm, Rick Onanian > wrote:

> I don't know. I think less than a year. I adopted her somewhat
> accidentally with her history unknown. All I know is that she's spayed,
> declawed (that's the way I received her), playful, and well behaved. She
> seems very young.

cool.

twice a month does not sound like much, but that would be 24 times a
year.
that sounds like a lot, if that's pretty consistent so far...

is it possible you over feed them like on grocery day?
do you give table scraps?

Just looking for a pattern that is related to their food.
you know of course packaged lunch meats are very high in sodium.

anyway, one of my girl cats kept spitting up recently, so I cut her
food back..
and she stopped spitting up. It's been 4 days now and no spit up.
I was just over feeding her.

Rick Onanian
July 1st 07, 04:40 PM
Barry wrote:
> is it possible you over feed them like on grocery day?

I do what worked for my childhood cat for 20 years: The never ending
bowl of Meow Mix. I know it's not the most popular among cat
aficionados, but Buttons lived longer than anybody else's cat that way...

Smokey loves it, so why not.

> do you give table scraps?

Her previous human told me that she loves all kinds of table scraps, but
she doesn't seem too interested in what I eat unless it's meat.

Actually, I just remembered a pattern. She vomits when she's alone for a
long time (overnight), possibly only when the indoor climate is hot. Not
every time she's alone; she's been alone every night for two weeks now
and only vomited once

Barry
July 1st 07, 07:20 PM
On Jul 1, 11:40 am, Rick Onanian > wrote:
> Barry wrote:
> > is it possible you over feed them like on grocery day?
>
> I do what worked for my childhood cat for 20 years: The never ending
> bowl of Meow Mix. I know it's not the most popular among cat
> aficionados, but Buttons lived longer than anybody else's cat that way...
>
> Smokey loves it, so why not.

I agree, food is just one ingredient to longevity

> Actually, I just remembered a pattern. She vomits when she's alone for a
> long time (overnight), possibly only when the indoor climate is hot. Not
> every time she's alone; she's been alone every night for two weeks now
> and only vomited once

oh well there you go!... haha..

look, wonder if you could fool her with a recording.
maybe you talking on the phone (loop it from the computer, but shut
the door like you're in there) even though she see's you leaving.. she
might find enough comfort in your voice to keep her food down.