PDA

View Full Version : Question About Cat Memories?

Curse Of Millhaven
July 2nd 07, 02:42 AM
Okay a few months ago I was walking down this lonely stretch of road
late late at night. I came across this cat on the sidewalk who made no
attempt to run away. So I stopped and pet it for probably a good 5
minutes. I like cats and will pet them, even strange ones, if they let
me.

So last night I am walking the same stretch of road, not so late, not
so lonely. What I suspect is the same cat comes running out of a yard
toward me enthusiastically. I pet it. It meows every time I walk a way
and follows me a bit. Again I spend a good 5 minutes before moving
on.

So, my question is, did this cat remember me somehow from the last
time and expected more of the same or did it just get more aggressive
about hitting up random strangers walking down the street?

cybercat
July 2nd 07, 03:49 AM
"Curse Of Millhaven" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Okay a few months ago I was walking down this lonely stretch of road
> late late at night. I came across this cat on the sidewalk who made no
> attempt to run away. So I stopped and pet it for probably a good 5
> minutes. I like cats and will pet them, even strange ones, if they let
> me.
>
> So last night I am walking the same stretch of road, not so late, not
> so lonely. What I suspect is the same cat comes running out of a yard
> toward me enthusiastically. I pet it. It meows every time I walk a way
> and follows me a bit. Again I spend a good 5 minutes before moving
> on.
>

> So, my question is, did this cat remember me somehow from the last
> time and expected more of the same or did it just get more aggressive
> about hitting up random strangers walking down the street?

It is just a friendly cat.

mlbriggs
July 2nd 07, 03:57 AM
On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 22:49:22 -0400, cybercat wrote:

> "Curse Of Millhaven" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>> Okay a few months ago I was walking down this lonely stretch of road
>> late late at night. I came across this cat on the sidewalk who made no
>> attempt to run away. So I stopped and pet it for probably a good 5
>> minutes. I like cats and will pet them, even strange ones, if they let
>> me.
>>
>> So last night I am walking the same stretch of road, not so late, not so
>> lonely. What I suspect is the same cat comes running out of a yard
>> toward me enthusiastically. I pet it. It meows every time I walk a way
>> and follows me a bit. Again I spend a good 5 minutes before moving on.
>>

>> So, my question is, did this cat remember me somehow from the last time
>> and expected more of the same or did it just get more aggressive about
>> hitting up random strangers walking down the street?
>>

> It is just a friendly cat.

A friendly cat with a good memory

1

Lis
July 2nd 07, 04:13 PM
On Jul 1, 9:42 pm, Curse Of Millhaven > wrote:
> Okay a few months ago I was walking down this lonely stretch of road
> late late at night. I came across this cat on the sidewalk who made no
> attempt to run away. So I stopped and pet it for probably a good 5
> minutes. I like cats and will pet them, even strange ones, if they let
> me.
>
> So last night I am walking the same stretch of road, not so late, not
> so lonely. What I suspect is the same cat comes running out of a yard
> toward me enthusiastically. I pet it. It meows every time I walk a way
> and follows me a bit. Again I spend a good 5 minutes before moving
> on.
>
> So, my question is, did this cat remember me somehow from the last
> time and expected more of the same or did it just get more aggressive
> about hitting up random strangers walking down the street?

It's a friendly cat, or it wouldn't have approached you the first
time. It also remembers you as someone who was friendly on a previous
meeting, and not either afraid of or hostile to cats.

Cats are social creatures; they couldn't cope if they didn't remember
individuals.

Why are people always amazed at evidence that cats are not rocks?

Lis