PDA

View Full Version : Cats Winking Their Eyes

Curse Of Millhaven
July 2nd 07, 07:16 AM
Sometimes I will wink at a cat and it will wink back, same eye. Is it
copying me, does it mean anything? Do cats communicate with people
this way? I have noticed this with lots of cats throughout the years,
my sister too. Any ideas?

cybercat
July 2nd 07, 05:07 PM
"Curse Of Millhaven" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Sometimes I will wink at a cat and it will wink back, same eye. Is it
> copying me, does it mean anything? Do cats communicate with people
> this way? I have noticed this with lots of cats throughout the years,
> my sister too. Any ideas?

My fist cat was not very expressive at all, but my little tabby is very
expressive with her eyes, her face, and her whole body.

They are emotional beings with feelings and thoughts and they depend on us.
Of course they try to communicate, is what I think. I read in Desmond
Morris' "Ca****ching" that when they feel pleasure they narrow their eyes,
the opposite of humans, which is why he said cats are always bothering
people who don't like them--they see the narrow eyes and think they do.

jmc
July 3rd 07, 04:51 AM
Suddenly, without warning, Curse Of Millhaven exclaimed (7/2/2007 3:46 PM):
> Sometimes I will wink at a cat and it will wink back, same eye. Is it
> copying me, does it mean anything? Do cats communicate with people
> this way? I have noticed this with lots of cats throughout the years,
> my sister too. Any ideas?

Not sure what it means, but I do think it's communication. Often Meep
won't jump up on my lap, even if invited, until we've exchanged a slow
closing of eyes. She slowly closes and opens here, and I do the same,
and she jumps up just as my eyes are opening. Strange, but there it is.

A slow narrowing or blinking of both eyes together is supposed to mean
all is well, I think.

jmc

CatNipped[_2_]
July 3rd 07, 01:41 PM
"Curse Of Millhaven" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Sometimes I will wink at a cat and it will wink back, same eye. Is it
> copying me, does it mean anything? Do cats communicate with people
> this way? I have noticed this with lots of cats throughout the years,
> my sister too. Any ideas?

A long slow blink of both eyes is cat talkd for "I love you". I often joke
with DH that since that holds true, a one-eyed wink must mean "I like you"!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Clive Sherriff
July 4th 07, 09:16 AM
As the psychology is probably similar - you could
just ask your sister why she winks back at you......

Clive
<G>